• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Pro's And Con's Of 4x4 Pickups In Srilanka

kotte mafia

, except for those extremely tacky (animated?) LED lamps on the tail gate, I would much rather get a base model than drive around with a thorana on my posterior.

ditto that !

some of them range from questionable taste to just down right offensively gaudy! :blink:

Yup, all with L plates. And yes, you have to upgrade, the easiest is to upgrade to motor coach. My dad did that when we had our 40sri Nissan double cab.

hmmm but upgrading would mean having to renew the license ever 5 yrs right? :unsure:

...isn't there a bit where one needs to go for a fitness test every time it needs renewal? ...&doesn't one need to drive a bus for the Class A test? :huh:

Yes to all those. But you can drive nearly almost everything except for an ambulance I think.

BTW, here's the epitome of Hilux tackiness. These pics are from a Japanese site btw, so I doubt they're of Thai origin.

3998713360_2091fcdd21_o.jpg

3998707670_5cda3e19d1_o.jpg

3998706300_599d25b28c_o.jpg

3997945599_d05618914e_o.jpg

Edited by terrabytetango

hmmm but upgrading would mean having to renew the license ever 5 yrs right? :unsure:

...isn't there a bit where one needs to go for a fitness test every time it needs renewal? ...&doesn't one need to drive a bus for the Class A test? :huh:

My dad got a license in category A-1 (Light motor coaches). i think he can drive those Land cruisers with 61- plates, Big Commuter Vans and light trucks. but that license was issued in golden days. no idea whether they are issuing such license now. and good thing is he doesnt need to renew the license in 5 years.

Edited by Ruslan

Lol ^^ that reminds me a spiced up 3 wheeler :lol:

Oh yes, and they're dealer options as well, with the exception of the dual exhaust setup I should think. They're both '09 models as well, displayed on the dealer's site.

Yes to all those. But you can drive nearly almost everything except for an ambulance I think.

BTW, here's the epitome of Hilux tackiness. These pics are from a Japanese site btw, so I doubt they're of Thai origin.

is it just me or do they not look like some hyper asian Decepticons ?! :lol:

My dad got a license in category A-1 (Light motor coaches). i think he can drive those Land cruisers with 61- plates, Big Commuter Vans and light trucks. but that license was issued in golden days. no idea whether they are issuing such license now. and good thing is he doesnt need to renew the license in 5 years.

A & A1 come together , much like C - C1 i believe...

• 2 weeks later...

On the subject of Double cabs and Nissan D21's dose anyone know of the performance of the TD23 engine. A*W haven't imported them with this engine, but I have seen amny around with the TD23 engine and have a feeling that it should be a good engine for them to change from the TD27.

On the subject of Double cabs and Nissan D21's dose anyone know of the performance of the TD23 engine. A*W haven't imported them with this engine, but I have seen amny around with the TD23 engine and have a feeling that it should be a good engine for them to change from the TD27.

Td23 is the 2.3 liter engine which were fitted onto datsun 720 cabs if im not mistaken i have seen a few D21 with the SD23 engine but im not sure if the bodies were swapped or not or the originality of the vehicles. TD27 were fitted on to D21 4wd cabs has an engine capacity of 2.7 liters and came with in two versions the turbo and non turbo. i dont recommend down grading ur engine from a 2.7 liter to 2.3 liter for the simple reason of the engine power might not be sufficient to hual a 4wd cab.

Td23 is the 2.3 liter engine which were fitted onto datsun 720 cabs if im not mistaken i have seen a few D21 with the SD23 engine but im not sure if the bodies were swapped or not or the originality of the vehicles. TD27 were fitted on to D21 4wd cabs has an engine capacity of 2.7 liters and came with in two versions the turbo and non turbo. i dont recommend down grading ur engine from a 2.7 liter to 2.3 liter for the simple reason of the engine power might not be sufficient to hual a 4wd cab.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_TD_engine

The old Datsun 720 came with the SD23 engine macho... apparently the TD23 engine has been employed in the domestic market D21s. Power difference is only marginal 10bhp to be exact.. I presume the TD23 to be more economical for them to put that engine with a new bodied vehicle and I dont want anyone to do so as well. I'd prefer the good old TD27 over a TD23 anyday. Just that I saw this cab and wanted to know about your feedback on this engine.

Ahhh, the Datsun 720. My father owned one of the last iterations of that pickup (40 sri), with the modern gauge cluster, 3 spoke steering wheel, full length center consol and factory fitted A/C (yes, factory fitted, the A/C option was the right most setting on the air flow slider), and Nissan badging. Loved how it took over a minute for the glow plugs to heat up the block, and the clacking you can only get from a pushrod engine.

Hello everyone,

Does anybody out there have any experience with a 4D56 engine? It's suppose to be 2.5L intercooled turbo which came in most newer L-200's and montero sport's. Im kind of interested in a L200 but not too sure about relaibility and long run performance. I owned a Toyota and I know they run forever but now have expanded the scope to include mitsubishi's too. Will the engine need a re-bore around 200,000km's?

Ford really do make some solid pieces of kit don't they :)

its a shame really that the local agents aren't interested! :(

yeah, was very impressed as I could have gone more, but sanity prevailed as there were 5 souls on board and luggage, food and provisions for 10 people for 3 days at the back. But on the way back today, might try to better this... :)

Almost 400kms on the clock and still used up only 50% of a 55lt fuel tank.