• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Pro's And Con's Of 4x4 Pickups In Srilanka

kotte mafia

Hay fellow auto lovers … in the past few weeks I saw alot of 4x4 pickups flooding the AL buy and sell section and in the corner of my mind the thought came on which is the best out of the lot

As all of us saw on Top Gear the Toyota is the bomb proof pickup but what are the pro’s and con’s as we really see on the srilankan roads. We are talking about easy Maintenance, Parts Availability, Fuel Consumption, Ride comfort, Resale value, ETC .. you know the general stuff

So I have few models selected out if you guys have any other models you want to discuss feel free to express your self

1. Toyota Hilux

2. Mitsubishi L 200

3. Nissan Pickup

4. Isuzu Pickup

5. Mahendra

6. TATA

We had a company provided 54- Isuzu 2wd double cab, I loved the engine note and the acceleration. Plus, it got thoroughly hacked over the next few years but the drive train and engine never faltered. The older solid axle Hiluxs have to be without doubt the best pickup trucks out there, 2nd hand examples from the 90s (LN 106s and LN 107s) are fetching insane prices even in Japan.

Edited by terrabytetango

hmm i love the L200 too machang ... my dad used to had one when he was working but what is the easiest to maintain guys if someone is looking for a 4x4 for site work and day to day use i thought buying a 4x4 toyota van would be good but its close to 2.5 mil was thinking on the nissan cos due to low price but i have no idea on the spare parts and resale value how about if you buy a brand new mahendra or a tata at least it wil work for at least 5 years with out any problems right ....?

Hay fellow auto lovers … in the past few weeks I saw alot of 4x4 pickups flooding the AL buy and sell section and in the corner of my mind the thought came on which is the best out of the lot

As all of us saw on Top Gear the Toyota is the bomb proof pickup but what are the pro’s and con’s as we really see on the srilankan roads. We are talking about easy Maintenance, Parts Availability, Fuel Consumption, Ride comfort, Resale value, ETC .. you know the general stuff

So I have few models selected out if you guys have any other models you want to discuss feel free to express your self

1. Toyota Hilux

2. Mitsubishi L 200

3. Nissan Pickup

4. Isuzu Pickup

5. Mahendra

6. TATA

interesting post machan - it would be great if you could make it a poll - that way everyone can vote for their choice as well

kotte dude...i use my strada for exactly what you hope to do with yours,for visiting the building sites and my hardware shop...it does everything from carrying several bags of cement in the morning and getting me to a wedding in the evening,in that sense the double cab truly is a multi-purpose,multi-class vehicle.

but at your price range the majority of the vehicles are propably around the 200k mileage...and toyota engines tend to last longer than any of it's rivals,and i admit it is also propably the easiet to live with and the easiest to get rid off...so a ssr-x wil serve you well.

i still prefer mine cos the comfort factor(on a double cab thats saying something,specially the back seat) and IMO the strada version of the l200 looks better,with it's heavy handed chrome bits and fibre body panels.

@Devinda ...polls do not always choose the best candidate macho...you should know that living in SL :lol:

@Devinda ...polls do not always choose the best candidate macho...you should know that living in SL :lol:

very true!

but just curious to see if those voting will take the ultra conventional route & vote Toyota (as they likely will :mellow: ) or actually surprise us with an unexpected answer for a change :)

We got a 1998 Ford Courier/Explorer. After hunting for Hiluxs and D22s we settled for this becasue it was the best maintained and the best priced in that year/model range. Been using it for 2 months now and so far not a single complaint. Had it serviced yesterday and the sump soaked up 6.5 litres of engine oil!

Comfort wise, I would say it is as comfy as the L200. Rear seats are a bit cramped and find myself tangling up on the rear door when trying to get in/out.

I checked around the usual haunts for the parts and it seems they are available and not as expensive as one would expect.

Its a tad underpowered for a 2.5 NA diesel but then I don't speed in it. The guy I bought it from did entice me to get a 2.5T that he has sourced for it before deciding to sell it.

Later perhaps.

Bit out of the ordinary, but still gets the job done.

We got a 1998 Ford Courier/Explorer. After hunting for Hiluxs and D22s we settled for this becasue it was the best maintained and the best priced in that year/model range. Been using it for 2 months now and so far not a single complaint. Had it serviced yesterday and the sump soaked up 6.5 litres of engine oil!

Comfort wise, I would say it is as comfy as the L200. Rear seats are a bit cramped and find myself tangling up on the rear door when trying to get in/out.

I checked around the usual haunts for the parts and it seems they are available and not as expensive as one would expect.

Its a tad underpowered for a 2.5 NA diesel but then I don't speed in it. The guy I bought it from did entice me to get a 2.5T that he has sourced for it before deciding to sell it.

Later perhaps.

Bit out of the ordinary, but still gets the job done.

The ford Courier is a pretty decent rig which is sadly overlooked by the market here in SL, probably mostly because of the faults of DMPC which was far more interested in flogging trishaws and cheap chinese tin cans than doing something with one of the worlds best mass market brands... shame really, but good news for those in the know!

I've been in/driven most of the models on this list And i find the Nissan's to be the closest to a car when it comes to driving (they have a lower stance than the others), and they are pretty comfy things as well. Only minus point IMO is that they appear to have a slightly higher corrosion propensity than the others.

The Mitsus, especially the strada are the most comfortable I feel and of course far and away the best performers (the ones with the 2.5 Turbo). Not sure about parts/maintenance, MasterDon will be able to elaborate.

Isuzu cabs are as tough as their Lorries, but there is a bit of a refinement issue, those diesels are NOISY!

I dunno about the Indians, The quality is improving but not quite there yet, you might get three years of service out of them but I doubt they'll run for 5 without throwing some strops....

All of the above have their pros and cons and at the end of the day it's down to personal preference really..... For me, they are all nice vehicles but I'll cast my vote for the good old hilux... Mainly because I have an LN106... My dad bought it brand new in 1993 and 16 years and over 400,000 KM later, with the engine rebuilt once, It's still going stong!

It's definitely not the most comfortable of this lot, neither is it the quickest, but the way its put together, you kinda understand why the hilux is the first choice in war zones everywhere.... It really does feel like its hewn from granite...

Ok, maybe I'm biased, but See what I mean about personal preference? :)

even for me they all look good the only thing that pulls me towards the indians is the after sales services you get and for the price of an second hand Jap you can buy one of those new

1. Toyota Hilux

2. Mitsubishi L 200

3. Nissan Pickup

4. Isuzu Pickup

5. Mahendra

6. TATA

I may be slightly off subject here, but since we are talking cabs,.... what do you guys think of the new "Vigo" from Toyota... seems a good deal at around 4mn? a lot of interest among vehicle sales places... and quite a few ads in the Sunday paper as well...

Personally, I don't like the fact that there's no column between front and back doors... safety seem compromised .... it also may be the reason why the price tag is "only" 4mn!

Speaking of the Indians, whats the verdict on the new look Tata double/single cab? cosmetically i reckon its rather spiffy :)

how where those 207 :unsure: single cabs that there are so many of around town, when it comes to daily running? :huh:

A freind has a 207. He has a love/Hate relationship with it. He had a deformed front disc after t he 3rd Free Service, brakes failed within the first year, engine developed a leak, again in the first year, alternator packed up on the 2nd year, and I think since I spoke to him last about 6 months ago, he said the Diff is making a a lot of noise.

He bought it BN and I think on the first service itself, he had to replace a drum.

He said he will drive it to the ground one day and set it on fire, but it still lugs around a heavy load almost on daily basis and when it works, it works. :)

I may be slightly off subject here, but since we are talking cabs,.... what do you guys think of the new "Vigo" from Toyota... seems a good deal at around 4mn? a lot of interest among vehicle sales places... and quite a few ads in the Sunday paper as well...

Personally, I don't like the fact that there's no column between front and back doors... safety seem compromised .... it also may be the reason why the price tag is "only" 4mn!

Those sold in European, Australian and Asian Markets are built and assembled in Thailand and are known as the Hilux Vigo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Hilux

How about the Hilux Vigo..But it is a single cab.

but there's a King Cab version as well (With Rear Bench seat with belts, but 2 doors). have driven one with the 3 litre 1KD-FTV Common rail Engine, must tell you that's a beast.

This is the one I'm talking, but a 4WD

12802.jpg

but there's a King Cab version as well (With Rear Bench seat with belts, but 2 doors). have driven one with the 3 litre 1KD-FTV Common rail Engine, must tell you that's a beast.

This is the one I'm talking, but a 4WD

12802.jpg

i think ur refering to the smart cab machan the one with rear doors which open behind and not the front..goes for about 3.5 i think if im not mistaken

Edited by YALA

i personaly prefer the nissan....simply cos i own one but a 2wd version D21..i have hauled a ton of stuff on it and its jus pulled it all without any complains...im thinkin of upgrading to a 4wd version of a D21 simply to satisfy my thirst for offroading n getting my feet in mud...maintainance is pretty low and repairs are rare with the exception of minor obstacles..i do my servicing on time and use foreign brand oil...overall im more than happy with it and my first choice would be to go for another nissan...my second choice would be the strada or the L200 turbo version and thirdly the isuzu...personaly i feel that the toyota is a tad over priced as im getting the same performance from the nissan for a lower initial cost and equal maintaince cost id stay with the nissan..jus my opinion though i know we got a few members who patronise the toyota so dont bust my nuts for this :action-smiley-060:

There seems to be a influx of VIGO King Cabs in SL, I've been seeing them pretty regularly in the out station areas, most recently in the Ambepussa/Thulhiriye areas. They look good, except for those extremely tacky (animated?) LED lamps on the tail gate, I would much rather get a base model than drive around with a thorana on my posterior.

There seems to be a influx of VIGO King Cabs in SL, I've been seeing them pretty regularly in the out station areas, most recently in the Ambepussa/Thulhiriye areas. They look good, except for those extremely tacky (animated?) LED lamps on the tail gate, I would much rather get a base model than drive around with a thorana on my posterior.

Those cabs registered as Lorries right? hence the low prices (low taxes) i guess. Dual purpose (C1) license owners need to upgrade their Driving License to drive those am i correct?

saw a Vigo cab with a projector head lights near Kirulapone Car sale..