• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Is 4dr5 Came As T20?

Nishan.dj

Hello ..

If you an expert or know about Mitsubishi 4DR5 J20 Jeeps please advice me on this fact. Following information (According to the book) will help you decide.

Type : Diesel

Status When Registered: Converted

The Chassis Number is : T20 - ****

Engine Number: 31 Sri ****

Chassis number starts with J20 on the vehicle but it is T20 on the book. Is this possible? And also if a jeep is converted it must be a 32 Sri one isn't it?

Thanks in advance.

Hello ..

If you an expert or know about Mitsubishi 4DR5 J20 Jeeps please advice me on this fact. Following information (According to the book) will help you decide.

Chassis number starts with J20 on the vehicle but it is T20 on the book. Is this possible? And also if a jeep is converted it must be a 32 Sri one isn't it?

Thanks in advance.

As for the T20, it simply might be a human error in writing it down.. 4DR5s as old as ours YOM 1969 if i remember right, came with those actual BOOKS. and its all hand written, so someone might just jave seen/written it incorrectly. A quick fix would be to add a little tail to the "T" to make it a "J" :D

And as for the registration, it really depends on what the owner registers it as and what point of it was converted... Ours was converted in the mid/late 80s (not sure of the exact year) and it was registered as a lorry hence the 28 Sri XXXX plate. And there are quite a few such as that... 28/40/31/32/GC are some of the plates that I have seen 4DR5s in.

Just googled it and found this.. migth be useful to someone...

http://home.off-road.com/~j56/WJ3Parts/index_0.htm

• 4 months later...
ah ddnt knw dt, i only thought converted got 65,50,51 and 32(some early converts)

RMV stopped assigning the running number series for converted ones after sometime and instead started given 325-. That applies only if the vehicle bearing non english plate number. For english plates, it's a change from P to D. Again this is due to inconsistancies of their actions, initially they gave running series for army auctionned vehicles too. There's a GW- Peugeot 504 that I know of which bought from Air Force auction and the mentioned J44 with english plates.

That is again those days forces did not register vehicles with RMV and hence vehicle doesn't bear/allocated a number from RMV and after the auction buyer suppose to register it as a new registration and that's why initially they gave the running series.

It was only highlighted when english numbers came into play and pretty old vehicles were running around with english plates. But now forces has to register and obtain/allocate a number which they don't use but will be used only after the auction. Simultaneously they changed the policy that auctionned vehicles which were not initially registered with RMV also given famous 325-. I don't know whether they created 325- initially for converted ones or auctioned (re-register after some time) ones but 325 is given for both for sure.

• Like 1

RMV stopped assigning the running number series for converted ones after sometime and instead started given 325-. That applies only if the vehicle bearing non english plate number. For english plates, it's a change from P to D. Again this is due to inconsistancies of their actions, initially they gave running series for army auctionned vehicles too. There's a GW- Peugeot 504 that I know of which bought from Air Force auction and the mentioned J44 with english plates.

That is again those days forces did not register vehicles with RMV and hence vehicle doesn't bear/allocated a number from RMV and after the auction buyer suppose to register it as a new registration and that's why initially they gave the running series.

It was only highlighted when english numbers came into play and pretty old vehicles were running around with english plates. But now forces has to register and obtain/allocate a number which they don't use but will be used only after the auction. Simultaneously they changed the policy that auctionned vehicles which were not initially registered with RMV also given famous 325-. I don't know whether they created 325- initially for converted ones or auctioned (re-register after some time) ones but 325 is given for both for sure.

:D

hope they'll run out of 325 numbers soon,

and harshan thanks for the knowledge shared with us

• 3 weeks later...
Hello ..

Thanks in advance.

Agree with dilesh, this was probaby an error by the person who originally wrote the number in the old book, and it would have been carried forward into the computerized form also. Same thing happened to my bug.

• 8 years later...
On 7/8/2018 at 3:07 PM, Danuka Rathnayaka said:

Same Thing happend to me. also my jeep chassis no starting from T20,   Can you Contact me through 0766789316, we we unite we can find answer

Well, I didn't buy it. And it's almost 9 years ago. 

It said, the mistake was done by RMV or relevant personnel who were responsible for entering data at the registration. You may contact RMV and get it updated. The seller at that time had no idea about Chassis numbers and after convincing him, he told me he got it corrected sometime later though RMV.

But since I restored a J44 &, considering all the facts, now I don't mind changing it  as I can get the license and registration for the vehicle without any matter. However, It could be the same jeep that you and me are talking about if the previous seller lied to me as he corrected. :) 

Most 4DR jeepers don't expect it to sell these days as you can see the demand for that vehicle. That said, I mind restoring it rather than spending lot on changing from T to J.

Anyway, did you buy it recently?