• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

My Fuel Station Pump Was Cooked Big Time

DVT

I too believe that the Laughs fellows are more accurate in their meters.. Laughs too have Ceypetco stuff, but they are generally better than the usual Ceypetco fellows.

I usually pump from the Kohuwala Laughs shed. After a numerous bad experiences with a number of Ceypetco & IOC sheds, I now prefer even pushing the car to the Laughs spot rather than going to any other place. There may be other Laughs sheds too who steal, but I really recommend the kohuwala joint (BTW I'm not a relative of the owner, or a shareholder)

There's another fact that I've heard from a number of sources. The pumper fellows sometimes put pauses when they hold on to the release handle, while dispensing fuel. I've heard that they do this to trick the meter, and when a couple of pauses are done, the dispensed amount of fuel is actually less than what the meter shows.

There is no need to hold on to the handle with the new pumps cause they automatically stop after dispensing the specified number of liters / amount / full tank. So I seriously believe this pausing thing is done to steal.

I think we should have the courage to tell them we know the game and let's not play, in case they try to play around.I have done a couple of times.

That's a good idea, but wouldn't they ask us to prove it? I've been toying with the idea of pinching one of those large measuring beakers from the lab one day and taking it with me to a (dodgy) fuel station I pump at regularly since it's so close to my home. But I'm wondering if a liter sized beaker is enough to spot any discrepancies, since the general consensus is that this happens in fractions per liter.

That's true. The variance per litre could be very little, but when it comes to 10-20 litres or a full tank, the difference could be a few hundred rupees, or even more.

Best practical thing is to stick to a place that you trust (a place where the pumpers don't pause while dispensing, and there are digital meters etc.)

I think the problem is worse in outstations. Most little towns have either one IOC / Ceypetco station, and the people who live there are compelled to live with it. I'm sure the "inspectors" are well bribed, and the meter checking is done just to fill the books (if at all such checking is happening)

That's a good idea, but wouldn't they ask us to prove it? I've been toying with the idea of pinching one of those large measuring beakers from the lab one day and taking it with me to a (dodgy) fuel station I pump at regularly since it's so close to my home. But I'm wondering if a liter sized beaker is enough to spot any discrepancies, since the general consensus is that this happens in fractions per liter.

If you requested from fuel station they should give you a calibrated measuring can.

Hi friends,

I own a AE 110, & live in Ratmalana. I usualy pump petrol in the Ratmalana area in Cepetco & IOC sheds. When I culculated the average performace (after tuning the engine) it is only around 9KM per litre. ( Auto with AC in Colombo) I have taken the car tuning again, & done every thing possible but, I got the same milage. After reading this thread, I went all the way to Kohuwala to the Laugh shed. At that time the car had run after 104KM after filling the full tank. When I pumped the tank it could take only 9.6 litres. So it is 10.8KM in the city.

Thank you for starting this thread, I believe my experiance is very useful to every one.

Hi Guys

I usually don't stick to one shed. I use the Ceypetco at Kohuwela and Pita Kotte around 80% of the time. Once driving from Wijerama to Mt Lavinia, I filled up from the Laugfs at Kohuwela. Usually from where the meter was (around the E) I need about 40-45 lts to hit full and the pump to stop. But on this day it took more! Almost 50! And mind you most of the time guys from the other sheds don't stop the first time the pump does. They keep going. So it does sounds like they do actually fill to the brim!

That just contradicts all the above doesn't it??

It's more than 90 octane and less than 95...

IOC Extra Premium is 91 octane and I tried it few times on different cars and there was no noticeable difference. Normally the petrol SUVs do fill it.

But it is definitely not a good choice for the cars which need 95 octane.

• 10 months later...

Hi folks,

I generally use the Kalubowila/Kohuwala CEPTCO shed and I pump 95. However I feel the shed pumps are spooked

My tank hold 55 L and I had little over ¼ tank left and I was still able to pump over 35 L. When ever I ask for full tank they use the right side pump and for some reason that pump always seems to give a irregular reading .

On my last visit I asked him to put full tank and he picked up that pump whilst the other pump was actually closer to the tank. Then said hold it and asked him to put 4000/- (30L) . He then entered 4000/- and started to pump but my tank was not full even with 30L (Remember my tank hold only 55L and there was already over 15L in the tank.

1> Does any 1 know how I can make a complain to CPC – contact numbers or any other authority ?

2> Has anyone else had the same experience from the shed ?

I have been visiting this shed for years since I live in that area and this has started happening only after they did up the whole place recently

Hi folks,

I generally use the Kalubowila/Kohuwala CEPTCO shed and I pump 95. However I feel the shed pumps are spooked

My tank hold 55 L and I had little over ¼ tank left and I was still able to pump over 35 L. When ever I ask for full tank they use the right side pump and for some reason that pump always seems to give a irregular reading .

On my last visit I asked him to put full tank and he picked up that pump whilst the other pump was actually closer to the tank. Then said hold it and asked him to put 4000/- (30L) . He then entered 4000/- and started to pump but my tank was not full even with 30L (Remember my tank hold only 55L and there was already over 15L in the tank.

1> Does any 1 know how I can make a complain to CPC – contact numbers or any other authority ?

I have been visiting this shed for years since I live in that area and this has started happening only after they did up the whole place recently

machan take an oil can which you can see the oil fill up from the side and after they pump a tank to your car, give the can and get them to Pump 4 ltrs from the same Pump so you can see which mark it comes to . based on that you can take action then and there with the management .

My two cents ....

by the way i also live around kohuwala, always pump at laughs kohuwala and i think accurate on Fuel figures from Full tank to Full tank.

Hi folks,

May be its not exactly 15L you had in your tank if you had about 12.5L pumping 30L will not automatically stop the machine. Or else after you pump your car still will be little below the full tank level.

I had little doubt about one shed which i used to visit some time back. So I thought of checking it my self. I took 2L petrol can with me and marked 1L point.

I used the credit card and asked him to pump 20 letres without telling the ruppee value. When he start pumping half way I took the can from the car and asked him to put only 1 letre to seperatly. so he put last letre to the can and it reached the mark i had on it. So no doubts there after went with peace in mind. (BTW I did this in Sunday after noon)

OT ...

Seems everyone missed out 'Bugatti's eSignature :violent-smiley-030: LOL

Quote:

BEER...

now cheaper than gasoline

DRINK, DON'T DRIVE..!!

Edited by EVO_Croozer

Hi folks,

I generally pump from Laugfs cause I've been told that their pumps are more... well, accurate. I also was told that Ceypetco (or IOC - can't remember which one) doesn't pump the actual amount of petrol. Don't take my word for it though. Maybe the best thing to do is siphon what little petrol you have in your tank, note down the amount and then go and pump a full tank.

Thanks all for your input’s planning to do the same also I’m going to stop less closer to the pump so he is compelled to use the other one .

I called CPC and I must say they were very helpful – gave me a direct number to call if the shed guys refused to pump a full tank from the 1st pump. Also wanted me to observe if they hold the handle of the pump when filling as they can do a slow (stop /start) thing.

Wow! This is all new to me! I never really thought these guys would stoop to such low levels. Our vehicle does a lotta out station traveling so we tend to pump all over the place but now I'm thinking of topping up at one of the Laughs places and seeing if I notice a difference. Thanks guys for all your valuable and informative input!

thats a little worrying given i pump from there regularly :mellow:

May be that's the reason that you're getting a bit low figure on juice. Pump from a laughs... you should be getting 20+kms/ltr... lol :)

Maybe the best thing to do is siphon what little petrol you have in your tank, note down the amount and then go and pump a full tank.

The idea of noting down the amount was because we put it back in, right? otherwise we'd have to push the car to the shed :rolleyes:

I recently was in a tuk tuk and he pumped a full tank (I know that's not much) but most others usually only pump 1 or 2l.

so I asked him why... and he said the sheds cheat on the pumping but the effect is less if you pump a full tank.

the way he explained it, the cheating happens when they fiddle with the pump handle. And usually when you pump full tank, it runs on auto and the can only fiddle a bit at the end. The guy also said that if they compare pumping 1.5l on the meter, vs. pumping a 1.5l coke bottle and then putting that in the tank, they get better mileage out of the latter.

bottom line is, according to the tuk tuk guy, the problem is not so much with the machine as with the fiddling. If this is true, any number of tests with calibrated vessels won't help, because they'll simply not fiddle... In that case, it's better to ask for an exact amount (in Rs. or l) so they program that to the pump, rather than asking for full tank because then the last bit is controlled by hand.

the other interesting thing is that 3-4 tuk tuk guys have recommended the very IOC that was mentioned as not being good (in the first post) as being the most honest place.

but maybe it just means they play out the cars and leave the tuk tuk guys alone.

the other interesting thing is that 3-4 tuk tuk guys have recommended the very IOC that was mentioned as not being good (in the first post) as being the most honest place.

but maybe it just means they play out the cars and leave the tuk tuk guys alone.

IF its the Mt. IOC that is being referred to , then they have a separate pump for Trishaws , so that may explain part of the story

I recently was in a tuk tuk and he pumped a full tank (I know that's not much) but most others usually only pump 1 or 2l.

so I asked him why... and he said the sheds cheat on the pumping but the effect is less if you pump a full tank.

the way he explained it, the cheating happens when they fiddle with the pump handle. And usually when you pump full tank, it runs on auto and the can only fiddle a bit at the end. The guy also said that if they compare pumping 1.5l on the meter, vs. pumping a 1.5l coke bottle and then putting that in the tank, they get better mileage out of the latter.

Btw, what do you mean they fiddle with the pump handle? They pump less? But won't that show up on the meter? <_< And when pumping a full tank, most shed attendants pump a little more after the cutoff. Is the cutoff a good indicator that I've got a full tank? Should I tell them to stop there?

Hi folks,

I too have faced the same problem at the Kohuwala Shed once when we were on our way to Foxhill we pumped a full tank from there it was late at night anyhow they pumped somewhere around 55litres i was in a hurry so we paid & came off but later i got thinking there was about 1/4 tank fuel when i went to the shed so it was impossible for the tank to have room for another 55litres...i never went to that shed again....

Btw, what do you mean they fiddle with the pump handle? They pump less? But won't that show up on the meter? <_< And when pumping a full tank, most shed attendants pump a little more after the cutoff. Is the cutoff a good indicator that I've got a full tank? Should I tell them to stop there?

Not sure how it would work. I doubt if it's possible to pump air instead of fuel :)

maybe fiddling with the handle messes up the calibration in some way. All instruments have sources of error and maybe this is an exploit.