• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Karting Returns To Sri Lanka

ash

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh incidentally....

found this on autoblog... their opinion on the type of kart we see at the drome isnt all that flattering lol

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/05/introdu...karting-part-1/

While they're a fun distraction at the mini-golf course, they're about as close to "real" karting as flying a kite is to manning an F16.

ouch! :o

i think we've all just gotten caught up in all this simply because its all we have right now..

any idea if they let real race karts on the Mirigama track? :huh: & more so does anyone here have proper race spec Karts for public use? :unsure:

i just hope it'll be up & running again soon - wanted to head over during the week n see..

hmmm wonder if the resurfacing will have an impact on the lap times - level of grip will be effected ne :mellow:

the track is not even, when it rains water stays on the track, also towards the high speed corners after the main stretch its very bumpy, anyway after the karts will get old the lap time will be bit slow

Edited by GihanFX

the track is not even, when it rains water stays on the track, also towards the high speed corners after the main stretch its very bumpy, anyway after the karts will get old the lap time will be bit slow

true - especially the bit where theres a surface undulation - between the existing tarmac of the old surface & the newly laid extension

hmmm in time to come i wonder if they will let us bring our own karts - if so it may well be worth investing in a kart :unsure:

have to import them, there are twin engine karts also, those can do 90MPH

aiyo so that not quite gonna happen ne :(

hmmm i wonder with this sudden new resurgence of Karting in SL , whether there will be national championships or some kinda organized competition etc?

aiyo so that not quite gonna happen ne :(

hmmm i wonder with this sudden new resurgence of Karting in SL , whether there will be national championships or some kinda organized competition etc?

anyway im interested of importing a kart in pieces, (cut and but) :lol: something like 200cc 70mph one

anyway im interested of importing a kart in pieces, (cut and but) :lol: something like 200cc 70mph one

hmmm :lol: its not like there are a lot of pieces ne! :)

any import restrictions on karts?

also it should be something that one can race here right - has anyone on the forum competitively raced karts before?

:unsure:

if so care to enlighten us on exactly what kinda kart would be best suited for local competition? :huh:

also it should be something that one can race here right - has anyone on the forum competitively raced karts before?

if so care to enlighten us on exactly what kinda kart would be best suited for local competition? :huh:

get the fastest :lol: just kidding, anyway for the speedome with those hairpins i think need to have a kart with lot more throttle response and toque, lets say for the mirigama need something with top end power , thats what i feel, yeah if someone can enlighten us it will be very useful

Hi devinda, the national kart championship was last run in 2005, the main reason it died was there was no place to run the karts, we last used independence square, the classes that were last run were the yamaha and the international class. The possibility of running a championship again is being looked at but once again location is the problem... if a championship is run the chances are it will be a yamaha class (cos that is the most common engine available in SL and the cheapest available one here).

We did run a yamaha go-kart (fitted with a clutch) at the speedrome but it is way too powerful and there is no way u can use even 70% of the power, but it was a fun drift session :-D

Hi devinda, the national kart championship was last run in 2005, the main reason it died was there was no place to run the karts, we last used independence square, the classes that were last run were the yamaha and the international class. The possibility of running a championship again is being looked at but once again location is the problem... if a championship is run the chances are it will be a yamaha class (cos that is the most common engine available in SL and the cheapest available one here).

We did run a yamaha go-kart (fitted with a clutch) at the speedrome but it is way too powerful and there is no way u can use even 70% of the power, but it was a fun drift session :-D

sounds like fun! :D

hmmm so that means there are a fair few karts suitable for competition in private ownership

i for one would love if there was some way to take this up competitively, providing of course that the costs involved wouldn't be unmanageable :unsure:

While its intriguing, Personally I wouldn't wanna be in a 100kmph cart with no seatbelts and without at least a suit like the bike racers wear!

right news flash

the track has been made SMALLER :mellow:

in that the first intense complex of corners has been moved in and changed completely

the current record is 28.66 or something to that effect if i recall right..

the upshot is that one can now to more laps within the 10 min :)

right news flash

the track has been made SMALLER :mellow:

in that the first intense complex of corners has been moved in and changed completely

the current record is 28.66 or something to that effect if i recall right..

the upshot is that one can now to more laps within the 10 min :)

:angry: not happy,

• 3 months later...