• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Karting Returns To Sri Lanka

ash

The McLarens Group will launch their latest venture - a fully equipped Go-Kart centre, in Battaramulla today. The SpeedDrome, the brainchild of CEO Dinesh Jayawardene, will function as the focal point of grass roots motorsports in Sri Lanka and ensure that the next generation of Sri Lankan racing drivers receive proper training and grooming at an early age.

Although a successful motorsport discipline in Sri Lanka in the past, karting fell into decline in recent years and this initiative is seen as a much-needed boost to the local motorsports community.

The SpeedDrome facility includes the option for unlimited track configurations, live electronic timing and fast, yet safe 4-stroke Pro-karts. Although serious track meets and championship events will be conducted on a regular basis, the venue will be open from 10 am to 10 pm on a daily basis in order to facilitate the recreational karter, newcomers to motorsports and to host corporate team-building events. The safe and easy-to-drive nature of the karts ensure that even young children will be able to develop hand-eye co-ordination, decision-making and other skills within the confines of a safe environment.

However, as Jayawardene pointed out, the larger objective of the SpeedDrome is the development of a new generation of racing drivers, as karting is the accepted starting point for all serious international motorsport careers. Jayawardene himself was a successful karter in the powerful 2-stroke categories, even competing at a representative level in India and is well positioned to guide young drivers who display talent and the desire to succeed at the highest levels of motorsport. As part of their driver development goals, international kart trainers will be brought down to Sri Lanka to conduct clinics as well.

The media launch will also see the track's inaugural race, expected to feature some of Sri Lanka's leading drivers. Also of interest will be the celebrity race that will see several performing artistes pit their driving skills against each other.

The SpeedDrome is located at 260/1 Pannipitiya road, Pelawatte, Battaramulla and will be open from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm daily.

Guys… since we haven’t had an event for some time now how about organizing a carting day for AL members…

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

woohoo!! :D :D :D FINALLY!!! I'm heading down there today! :D Gonna see if I can do some laps without crashing :unsure::lol: will let your'll know how it is.

Don't worry abt the crashing in to the tyre barriers.. My friends gone there and straighten the track last night ... :action-smiley-060:

Don't worry abt the crashing in to the tyre barriers.. My friends gone there and straighten the track last night ... :action-smiley-060:

well I couldn't get to drive today. they were having some tv show filming session, and that guy told me to wait for 2 hours. lol. and man the pricing is just INSANE!!! I was planning on going everyday. But now.. I'll be lucky to go once a week! 750 quid for 10 MINUTES!!! arrgghhh :violent-smiley-099: I nearly collapsed! :blink:

Edited by virensti

I use to go always when it was there at deans road with the big track then later use to got excel world too n drive 40 laps for 500 o sumtin but 750 for 10 mins is insane.. I might try once but wont be frequent coz sure if I get addicted again I will become bankrupt :)

This is indeed great news, was a regular visitor to the old place at excel world when it was operational and covered lotsa laps there!

The pricing does seem slightly ridiculous though, I do hope they'll make it more affordable as time goes by. Its interesting in a way though because this format means you are obliged to see how quickly you can drive to make the most of your ten minutes!

Okay people,

yours truley went today, spent 750 quid (sniff) and got into the lovely Pro-kart number 2. :P

well firstly, guys and girls! PLEASE TAKE GLOVES AND GO!! Either garden gloves or crickets gloves! Something nice and thick!!! My skin nearly ripped off my palm! I'm typing with quite alot of difficulty right now! :lol: (they provide helmets and shoes if you need. But no gloves.) I drove barefoot btw. hehe

The track is really good. Nice and techinical, barely any straights, you gotta keep your foot down through alot of the corners praying your wont suddenly snap into the tyres :D overall nice experiance. and man you gotta be FIT!! (I'm reall unfit but damn!!) I was sitting in the kart for about 5 mins after the 10 min run just to get my strength back :lol:

Oh and the good thing, you can ask them to check your lap times, and they give you each laps timings and the fastest lap as well. :) So my next target, try and improve my slow lap times :unsure::lol:

Cheers guys and girls, go and check it out. :alc:

Edited by virensti

Quick ques. Why gloves? Steering wheel rough or something? Would the fingerless variety used by bike riders work?

yeah mate, real rough. specially after about 5 laps, you feel it tearing your skin out. You cant tell when you hold it at first, but after some time. man I was taking some turns 1 handed..I dunno if I was gripping the wheel too hard. But its quite stiff, so you do have to put in abit of effort. umm yeah i guess those would do. you just need to protect your palms. I'm still applying cream :( I'm saying the thicker the better. But those gloves should do :) give it a shot and see.

Okay people,

yours truley went today, spent 750 quid (sniff) and got into the lovely Pro-kart number 2. :P

well firstly, guys and girls! PLEASE TAKE GLOVES AND GO!! Either garden gloves or crickets gloves! Something nice and thick!!! My skin nearly ripped off my palm! I'm typing with quite alot of difficulty right now! :lol: (they provide helmets and shoes if you need. But no gloves.) I drove barefoot btw. hehe

The track is really good. Nice and techinical, barely any straights, you gotta keep your foot down through alot of the corners praying your wont suddenly snap into the tyres :D overall nice experiance. and man you gotta be FIT!! (I'm reall unfit but damn!!) I was sitting in the kart for about 5 mins after the 10 min run just to get my strength back :lol:

Oh and the good thing, you can ask them to check your lap times, and they give you each laps timings and the fastest lap as well. :) So my next target, try and improve my slow lap times :unsure::lol:

Cheers guys and girls, go and check it out. :alc:

thanx for the info mate, we are also planing visit soon, but Mr STI-B4 is complaining abt the power to weight ratio advantage im having :D

thanx for the info mate, we are also planing visit soon, but Mr STI-B4 is complaining abt the power to weight ratio advantage im having :D

no probs. lol power to weight is big big factor in karting you know :P specially in this track, cause some of the tight turns, I was taking on full throttle, which shows how my weight (85kg's) really slows you down. :unsure:

Its not fair... Heavy blokes should have the option to pick karts with more HP.

@GihanFX dude! how much do u weight, 50Kg? :P Anyway me is 104Kg. So, I should have a kart with twice the HP. :action-smiley-060:

@virensti Thanks for the tip regardin gloves...

Ha ha.. in that case, Prad and Jadey too would have problems... :lol: