• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Which Transmission Do U Prefer??

Cham-X

Stick-Shift or Auto-Shift  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of gearbox do u prefer on ur vehicle?

• Stick-Shift (Manual)
    • Automatic

I neva said i voted for Auto!!! i voted for manual! thats y the PS came into effect! :P

Ooops! My Bad Mate...Thought since u drive an auto u voted for it as well...but guess u stayed true to ur heart!! :lol:

Well that makes it 5 "Phantom" AutoGear Drivers!! :ninja:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now if i had a car worthy of talking, then i would prefer a manual...

fuzzo you got the words right out of my mouth, let me be the 7th voter for auto.

would have been interesting to see if tiptronic was included in the poll as well

Just remembered a friend who wnated to drift with a automatic mitsubishi lancer MX? hahahaha

For those who dont know dig this

Rolls royce phantom has 3 positions in its auto box. Forward, neutral nad Reverse. Thats it?? has a reserve meter telling you how much more reserve power u have. JC does 60mph and the car has 90 odd percent more reserve power??

fuzzo you got the words right out of my mouth, let me be the 7th voter for auto.

would have been interesting to see if tiptronic was included in the poll as well

agree with you guys, auto would be best for the city,

that makes me the 8th voter for auto

• 1 year later...

Of course for MT.

Like someone mentioned we all are anyway used to traffic over here @ SL.

It gives you the real feelin' of DRIVING B)

i also like me stick shift but i've seen cars with auto boxes in drifting competitions... not only can they drift they have beaten manuals also

don't ask me how they do it though :angry-smiley-048: my corolla can't drift...i've done it on bikes though :rolleyes: uncontrolled drifts of course :angry-smiley-048:

Just remembered a friend who wnated to drift with a automatic mitsubishi lancer MX? hahahaha

heh...how about CVT :jumping-smiley-013:

with my limited experience with them...they pull just like a manual would...well almost like a manual :)

they are much better than your standard auto...

if there was a category for CVT... My vote goes for that :jumping-smiley-013:

heh...how about CVT :jumping-smiley-013:

with my limited experience with them...they pull just like a manual would...well almost like a manual :)

they are much better than your standard auto...

if there was a category for CVT... My vote goes for that :jumping-smiley-013:

I definitely would prefer CVT than A/T because of the seamless gear change and much more responsive than the A/T. Have driven M/T, A/T, and the current Multitronic CVT, out of those my list goes as;

1. Multitronic - Weekend, Outstation or night driving... just switch to Manual mode.... there you go....

CVT Auto mode in week day driving in painful Colombo traffic (responsive as well as no hassle in changing gears every two seconds.

2. M/T - Quick response for quick overtaking... always love the feeling...

3. A/T - If there's no other choice.... but might consider if the car has a very powerful engine.

Hey guys...in lines with a discussion going on in another thread..thought of starting this pole to see what u guys prefer....Auto or Manual...and Give Reasons why u chose any which one!! Thanks

Hi there

Why we ignore auto with sequential shift. I prefer that over the others. Preference for auto and manual depends on where U drive or the purpose of the vehicle. If l like in traffic jam I would like to have auto. It is better to have manual if I drive a sports car or in a race or sort of off-roading. Remember even F1 s are not manual

Hi there

Why we ignore auto with sequential shift. I prefer that over the others. Preference for auto and manual depends on where U drive or the purpose of the vehicle. If l like in traffic jam I would like to have auto. It is better to have manual if I drive a sports car or in a race or sort of off-roading. Remember even F1 s are not manual

As far as I'm aware F1s have a clutchless manual sequential transmission. It does not mean it's automatic nor is it a tiptronic. Tiptronic is an automatic transmission where the driver has control of the shift points.

The future of transmission will be the VW developed DSG - which is a clutchless manual transmission. Clutchless doesn't mean no clutch at all, but no manual clutch.

Here's proof to back up my argument.

Auto

http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/g...h_gear_auto.htm

Manual

http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/g...gear_manual.htm

Edited by madmax

As far as I'm aware F1s have a clutchless manual sequential transmission. It does not mean it's automatic nor is it a tiptronic. Tiptronic is an automatic transmission where the driver has control of the shift points.

The future of transmission will be the VW developed DSG - which is a clutchless manual transmission. Clutchless doesn't mean no clutch at all, but no manual clutch.

Auto

Manual

Thanks 4 the links & there is no argument

I meant auto is anything automated (even a clutch) is automatic. According to the topic I beleive manual means conventional clutch and the gear box so every thing other than that are auto. Anyway I like that links

Auto

Manual

Thanks 4 the links & there is no argument

I meant auto is anything automated (even a clutch) is automatic. I beleive manual means conventional clutch and the gear box so every thing other than that are auto according to the topic . Anyway thanks for the links that improved my knowledge :rolleyes:

Vote No 18 for auto.

the new mitsubishi evo X has a similar system, but tis supposed to be dual clutch. and they call this system, dual clutch as far as i know. saw it in a video, similar to a triptonic gear system, but more fast than a manual gear change.

Manual anyday....Even in colombo.. when you are on D in a Auto and step on the brake to slow down in trafic tyou actually work against rhe engine (which is burning fuel..) you feel the resistance ont he brake... but in manuals you dont work against the engine...in fact as soon as you let your foot off the gas, the engine too acts as a stoping force...

plus manual is way mroe fun.. went to matara and back during the weekend.. drove the G.Vitara (Diesel Auto).. even though its a turbocharged engine, you feel the need for more throttle control than that when it comes to overtaking dumb-ass threewheelers, drivers of which who think its cool/fun to have conversations while driving paralel to each other..

well i prefer manual and voted and driving manuals so far and I agree with you dilesh the resistance when you step on brakes and true brake wear 'n tare is high. When driving auto what I do is swap gear position to N fraction before step on brakes, and to do that u don't need to press the release button you can freely swap between D and N. When about to move the vehicle change to D and step on accelerator... works fine and engine doesn't get loaded when you're in D position and pressing brakes means the clutch is loaded and the oil pressure inside the clutch creates a resistance to the engine. But what I don't know is swapping between N and D like that would harm the gear box or not.