• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Suzuki Baleno

Le Sabre

Can anyone give me some advice on the 1999-2000 Suzuki Baleno sedan.

Hows its performance and do spare parts cost more than other japanese models.

Has anyone driven or owned this model car, if so what are your opinions on the car.

What would be the best price to pay for this model.

Can anyone give me some advice on the 1999-2000 Suzuki Baleno sedan.

Hows its performance and do spare parts cost more than other japanese models.

Has anyone driven or owned this model car, if so what are your opinions on the car.

What would be the best price to pay for this model.

The old Baleno is a good car and it boasted of many technologies that other Jap cars of that era didnt offer. Believe that it was the first Jap car of its size to come with dual airbags, electrically adjustable headlamps.

I have driven a Baleno and can say that its quite good to drive, very comfortable and has the extra ground clearance over other saloons. What I have driven and been in was a slightly modified baleno (not exterior or interior, but the engine, suspension and gearbox) and that car has a lot of poke. The 1600cc is a very responsive machine (I have driven the wagon).

Good solid build quality also very spacious. A brand new will even have the rear headrests.

About parts I dont know much, but rest assured that Maruti also made a version of this in India and they do carry parts for this.

Price wise I'm not sure, but anything around 900,000 - 1,000,000 for a good condition one.

Hi bro

The Baleno was quite a good car; the intial version had some hiccups which were sorted out with the facelifted model. some of the problems it had was with the A/C compressor and suspension. the shocks had problems and were modified. the facelifted ones, of the last generation were quite good. common problems on the later ones were with the dual igntion coils and cam sensors.

there were 2 models, the cultus crescent was JDM with a 1.5 G15B and 1.3 engine and the export versions were GL (1.3) and GLX(1.6) with 85 and 97 BHP respectively.

it was quite a quick car for what it was, a 4 door sedan, (the 1.6 version UK spec facelifted) with a standard 0-62 time of 9.7 secs. the 1.6 came with 14" TSW alloys. i have raced one as well.

parts were a bit difficult, but the engine was the same as the cultus / swift / Jimny( G series) and most items were obtainable.

you can contact general automotives ( on 2332787) dont know if he is still around though.

the 1.6 especially is a tidy handler and extremely smooth car to drive. fuel consumption was around 8 km / litre on average in the city.

good luck!

Hi bro

The Baleno was quite a good car; the intial version had some hiccups which were sorted out with the facelifted model. some of the problems it had was with the A/C compressor and suspension. the shocks had problems and were modified. the facelifted ones, of the last generation were quite good. common problems on the later ones were with the dual igntion coils and cam sensors.

there were 2 models, the cultus crescent was JDM with a 1.5 G15B and 1.3 engine and the export versions were GL (1.3) and GLX(1.6) with 85 and 97 BHP respectively.

it was quite a quick car for what it was, a 4 door sedan, (the 1.6 version UK spec facelifted) with a standard 0-62 time of 9.7 secs. the 1.6 came with 14" TSW alloys. i have raced one as well.

parts were a bit difficult, but the engine was the same as the cultus / swift / Jimny( G series) and most items were obtainable.

you can contact general automotives ( on 2332787) dont know if he is still around though.

the 1.6 especially is a tidy handler and extremely smooth car to drive. fuel consumption was around 8 km / litre on average in the city.

good luck!

Hi SadathN,

Quick question, this general automotive no you mentioned, is it in Panchikawatta side? because I got to know that there was a guy who bought the old Brown's stock and he had put shop in that area. Need to find parts for a old Suzuki SA310.

Also did you race the Baleno in Sri Lanka? If so did it carry a 301- number?

About parts I dont know much, but rest assured that Maruti also made a version of this in India and they do carry parts for this.

The Maruti Baleno did not come to Sri Lanka. However it seems Maruti has initially assembled it using Japanese parts.

Found the folowing articles in

Autocar India

http://www.autocarindia.com/new/RoadTestDetails.asp?ID=1032

and Indiacar.com

http://www.indiacar.com/buyusedtips/baleno...eno%2Findex.htm.

Edited by samishka

Hi SadathN,

Quick question, this general automotive no you mentioned, is it in Panchikawatta side? because I got to know that there was a guy who bought the old Brown's stock and he had put shop in that area. Need to find parts for a old Suzuki SA310.

Also did you race the Baleno in Sri Lanka? If so did it carry a 301- number?

yes, bro. it was on the panchkawatte road, same side as the tower hall, but further up.lost conatct with the guy(don) some years ago.

he had parts for the SA310 was one of his high demand models.he used to be ex-browns staff.

the baleno, i raced in SL 2001, 2002. car was 301-6011 green color. after that, was ruined...

yes, bro. it was on the panchkawatte road, same side as the tower hall, but further up.lost conatct with the guy(don) some years ago.

he had parts for the SA310 was one of his high demand models.he used to be ex-browns staff.

the baleno, i raced in SL 2001, 2002. car was 301-6011 green color. after that, was ruined...

Thats good to hear. I shall tell my cousin to check with him, he needs some dashboard stuff (switches and all)

You'll be surprised to know that the old girl still runs. She was recently done up (paint and body), still quick off the blocks but top speed limited to 140kmph. Still runs as a day to day commute.

Thats good to hear. I shall tell my cousin to check with him, he needs some dashboard stuff (switches and all)

You'll be surprised to know that the old girl still runs. She was recently done up (paint and body), still quick off the blocks but top speed limited to 140kmph. Still runs as a day to day commute.

oh, okay..then I guess the 5.1 final drive is still in the gearbox..

• 1 year later...

I'm looking at getting a certain Baleno which was discussed in this thread earlier.

I would appreciate if you guys would give me a heads up if you come across any 1600cc Suzuki gearboxes that fits the G16 engine. Or even gear wheels would do.

Thanks.