• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Your First Accident

milinda

Have you ever had an accident?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had an accident?

• Yes I had and it was my fault
    • Yes I had but it wasnt my fault
    • No never in my motoring life
  2. 2. If yes, when did you have your first accident since you started to drive?

• In the first year of driving
    • Between 2nd and 3rd year
    • Between 3rd and 5th year
    • Between 5th and 10th year
    • after 10 years
    • Not relevant
  3. 3. If you never had an accident How long have you been driving for?

• 1-3 Yrs
    • 3-5 yrs
    • 5-10 yrs
    • more than 10 yrs
    • Not relevant

Well guys just out of curiosity have you ever had a motoring accident? How bad it was? How long have you been driving when it first happened to you? No need to be specific if you feel guilty :grinning-smiley-003::D:jumping-smiley-013:

Well here is my first experiance and was unfortunate enough to had much serious ones later in the life.

It was just after my O/L. I had a lot of free time to do devil's work. So this night as usual I managed to "smuggle" my dads Peugeot and rear-butted a Tata bus on Colombo - Kandy road. No need to say the end result when you rear butt a tata bus. You end up with a smashed car, unscratched bus, and a fuming bus driver jumping at your neck.I managed to save my neck by paying Rs1000/= to the bus driver. But money couldnt save my neck when i went back home to give this good news to my parents :D:(:(

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But money couldnt save my neck when i went back home to give this good news to my parents :grinning-smiley-003::D:jumping-smiley-013:

Holy crap :(:o:o So far only a scratch on the back buffer due to a reversing incident in my own premises :( Have had other people mishandle my car though :D

my first accident involved when i drove my roommates zooped up 98 dodge stratus, it was halloween smashed in to a minivan who ran a stop sign , it was like us $4500 in damage. it was not my fault, had to replace the ac unit, the radiator and front struts everything. it was a f**ked up halloween night for me

my first accident involved when i drove my roommates zooped up 98 dodge stratus, it was halloween smashed in to a minivan who ran a stop sign , it was like us $4500 in damage. it was not my fault, had to replace the ac unit, the radiator and front struts everything. it was a f**ked up halloween night for me

y didnt u claim it on insurance????????????????????

Morgoth, how long have you been driving mate? it's quite impresive to hear that you havent met with any accidents yet. must be one hell of a driver.

come on guys confess your sins

:grinning-smiley-003:

for me the 1st accident was when it was nearly 3yrs after i started driving. It wasnt actually my fault. It was at a roundabout when our car was to go straight and a motorcylce crossed infront to go to the right direction from the left of the car. It was just when i was starting off the roundabout and on seeing the motorcyclist had to brake n ofcourse horn. That guy turned away and luckyly didnt get knocked, but a pickup from behind smashed our car. The cab had no damages. Its bumper smashed the boot lid plus smashed the left tail lights plus made the spoiler come out.

anywayz this was near our home and we knew the owner of the cab. He paid for the light and the boot lid. my father isnt interested to fix the spoiler anymore <well its a small one kinda original one with led's for brake lights>.

y didnt u claim it on insurance????????????????????

Morgoth, how long have you been driving mate? it's quite impresive to hear that you havent met with any accidents yet. must be one hell of a driver.

come on guys confess your sins

:grinning-smiley-003:

Nope I've only legally bin driving 2 years, part of which I've been out of the country. Illegally driving for longer than that but have been careful :jumping-smiley-013: Part of the reason is that I don't try too much fancy stuff in my car, its just a Sunny. Its capable of some speed but for the most part I go slow instead of trying to race everyone on the road. Unless you count a threewheeler trying to straddle a pavement and toppling onto the car an accident. The damn thing didn't have brakes and looked something of an accident itself.

Granted, there have been some near misses (specially with busses)when I behaved like a j***a$$, or they did :D

And what about you?

I once scratched the rear-left bumber + tail light with the front-right of a bus, while overtaking the guy in ekala road. Minor stuff, my fault. But the bus driver didn't even bother to get down just smiled it off :grinning-smiley-003: . It was my father's lancer box and I have just got my license (1998). The ekala road, mind you, wasn't the wide drag stretch it is today at that time. It was pretty narrow and while overtaking, this double cab came at my face, at break neck speed, out of nowhere. I panicked and screwed up my overtaking manuevre :D

Other than that there are the usual reversing-related minor scratches :jumping-smiley-013: no third party involved, except unseen flower pots etc etc... hardly qualifies as 'accidents' i guess.

Its bit of a bitter experience happend way back in 1990.Though its not my fault ,it hurt me a lot as I hapend to damage my Fathers then favourite car a 1951 black Ford Popular.EL 8846.

A reckless lorry driver came and smashed right rear end of the hatchback.Father never said anything or discussed about it and that hurt me a lot.I thought about that accident over and over for many days and still its a bad nightmare for me.I still recall the terrible noise.

After the repair dad sold the car .Now he is making fun outa the accident telling everybody especially my wife how I demanded Rs 10000 from the lorry driver for a Rs 1500 repair job. :grinning-smiley-003:

gud topic...

well all my accidents hav been minor dents n scratches frm lamposts n other cars n cant really b considerd a big problem...the only major accident i had was last yr wen i was at the ward place junction (in which one road crosses at an angle) the light turnd green so i moved forward a bit but there was a car on my rite so i cudnt c if it was clear...as soon as i moved a bit ahead this motorcyclist jumpd d lights frm the crossroad n smashd my frnt bumper n dented my bonnet...the motorcyclist n his passenger were thrown to the next half of the road...minor injuries to both of em but my entire front was gone...managd to save the headlights...went to the cops n every1 was attackin me...since it was my first major accident n i wasnt sure of wat to do i offerd to pay for the bike repair cos i was afraid of goin to court n being fined a hell of a lot...i stretchd a 3 day repair for 1.5 months to teach them a lesson since it was their fault :D

i learnd my lesson to not turn down a day in court if u knw u r rite!

p.s. i was drivin my sunny which was on 3rd party n to this day i dnt knw the use of 3rd party insurance in SL...can sum1 pls enlighten me?

p.s. i was drivin my sunny which was on 3rd party n to this day i dnt knw the use of 3rd party insurance in SL...can sum1 pls enlighten me?

Well as far as i know, if you are on a 3rd party insurance and an accident occurs, the insurance will pay damages to the people/property involved in the accident (the 3rd party) except you (first party), your car and its passengers (second party).

This is why the law dictates that you 'at least' should have a 3rd party insurance to put a vehicle to the road.

Well as far as i know, if you are on a 3rd party insurance and an accident occurs, the insurance will pay damages to the people/property involved in the accident (the 3rd party) except you (first party), your car and its passengers (second party).

thanks dude had i known that at the time i wudnt hav forkd out 20k for the bike repair...a f**king bajaj boxer...its a gud thing it wasnt a significant amount...

thanks dude had i known that at the time i wudnt hav forkd out 20k for the bike repair...a f**king bajaj boxer...its a gud thing it wasnt a significant amount...

but as i remember most 3rd party covers only go upto 15,000 bucks.... not sure, but this was the case few years ago...

Well my first accident happened on the 16th of Oct 2005, I will never forget this accident as this was the first ever incident which I had since I started driving in 1998. My car was a 2003 Merc C180 Komp and I was with three other passengers (my friends), time 5.45PM, in Worcester Park, Surrey London, my speed was around 50MPH.

The oncoming Honda CRV came across the road when it approached me, I couldn't turn the wheel to the left as I'm had the risk of hitting the the light post, so I just slammed the breaks as much as I could. He hit my car on the driver's side front corner and scratched it all the way up to the boot and hit and stopped with a Vectra which was coming behind me. Damn...

Then he told, as he is Muslim, during the fasting period, rushing home to break the fasting by 6.00PM, very tired as didn't eat anything for the whole day, and had SLEPT. He didn't even know that he hit my car, he was thinking that he only hit the Vectra, then he asked us, 'Did I hit the Merc also?'

It was quite a big smash though, we both were doing around 50MPH in opposite directions. We were ok, with the help of the seat belts and the airbags. I got my car done with his insurance and it cost £9,000, his CRV was written off, and the Vectra had also been repaired, Think how much would his next year insurance premium be?

BTW I've never had any small scratches or anything, this has been my first accident up to now..

ac18cb.th.jpg

ac28cp.th.jpg

After the Repair....

good0rt.th.jpg

hmmm, lets see, not counting encounters with walls, lampposts, police barriers, etc....

Sometime in 2000. Was going to Ja-Ela to check a buddy's PC in the Cali. 5 ppl in the car. Traffic Situ in Amour Street. Traffic started moving, I started moving, Van on my left suddenly stopped (I was in the middle lane). I didn't really pay any attention, suddenly this musta been 60 year old guy comes running across the street just as I'm clearing the van. He was talking to someone on the pavement, and not looking where he was going. Not much time to do much except hit the brakes and the horn. Couldn't go right, center pavement. Guy hit my car from the side, right above the wheel arch. Left a permanent dent with his knee. Sat on the side mirror and snapped it off. Tried to come in via the windscreen, hit his head on the beading and bounced off. Usual fuss ensues. Cop comes, had to do the rastiyadu rounds and my friends take the bugger to the hosptial in my car. Turns out the bugger is some sorta dude at a Kovil. Musta thought his god was looking over him to try to do long jump across the road while talking to ppl on the pavement. Net result, he needed 2 stitches on his forehead, and went home the next day. And probably had a sore knee. I needed to put in 2 side mirrors (Apparently they only sell pairs), a new windscreen (14k I think) and bodywork on the front panel. Which didn't completely get rid of the dent. Not to mention that a lot of the the glass that fell into the car found its way into the A/C vents, and that thing was blowing out slivers of glass for months. :angry-smiley-005:

And nothing major since then.

:angry-smiley-005::party-smiley-015: year 1997..location..melbourne..road..princess highway..iwas coming from work from dandinong.. 3am driving abt 100kmh in the celica..not much vehicles..few containers..i was trying to over take a container 2 times but the f.. was all over the road..finally i got a chance n the speed was around50kmh..but by half way overtaking from left..(last lane) the f....came 2 my side n something hit me (not 2 hard) n i was thrown away from the road hitting a road sign post..things happen quikly..n when i finally come to myself i was 30-40m away from highway..in a bush.. was manage 2 get out from the car..n saw th drivig side back was hit by some part of container n the left side door n mudgurd was smashed by tthe sign post..that was my 1st n still remembers it..when im driving..

2nd was @ ja ela ..a drunk driver in a bicycle came straight @ ma civic but mange 2 stop by brakes but the f..hit the car n fell a side damaging the bonnet..cracking the windscreen n braking the driver side power mirror..that was shocking..

hmmm, lets see, not counting encounters with walls, lampposts, police barriers, etc....

Sometime in 2000. Was going to Ja-Ela to check a buddy's PC in the Cali. 5 ppl in the car. Traffic Situ in Amour Street. Traffic started moving, I started moving, Van on my left suddenly stopped (I was in the middle lane). I didn't really pay any attention, suddenly this musta been 60 year old guy comes running across the street just as I'm clearing the van. He was talking to someone on the pavement, and not looking where he was going. Not much time to do much except hit the brakes and the horn. Couldn't go right, center pavement. Guy hit my car from the side, right above the wheel arch. Left a permanent dent with his knee. Sat on the side mirror and snapped it off. Tried to come in via the windscreen, hit his head on the beading and bounced off. Usual fuss ensues. Cop comes, had to do the rastiyadu rounds and my friends take the bugger to the hosptial in my car. Turns out the bugger is some sorta dude at a Kovil. Musta thought his god was looking over him to try to do long jump across the road while talking to ppl on the pavement. Net result, he needed 2 stitches on his forehead, and went home the next day. And probably had a sore knee. I needed to put in 2 side mirrors (Apparently they only sell pairs), a new windscreen (14k I think) and bodywork on the front panel. Which didn't completely get rid of the dent. Not to mention that a lot of the the glass that fell into the car found its way into the A/C vents, and that thing was blowing out slivers of glass for months. :angry-smiley-005:

Machan, it's great that you had not been attacked by the local people of that area, I know there were loads of incidents in this way, as soon as an accident happened the people on the road start assaulting the driver. I remember some education department Director or someone was murdered in Mt.Lavinia by the locals, when he got out of the car to apologise the person who was hit by him...

This is specially when you have a victim...

hope the car was fully insured. i think this is a good example why people should fully insure their vehicles.

dilesh r u sure that there's a limit in 3rd party insurance? can someone please confirm.

hope the car was fully insured. i think this is a good example why people should fully insure their vehicles.

dilesh r u sure that there's a limit in 3rd party insurance? can someone please confirm.

I don't think so machan, if there is a claim limit on the 3rd party insurance the law won't allow us to drive with the 3rd party insurance. What will happen if you smashed into a 3rd party's car and the cost of the 3rd party's repair is such a colossal amount?

Machan, it's great that you had not been attacked by the local people of that area, I know there were loads of incidents in this way, as soon as an accident happened the people on the road start assaulting the driver. I remember some education department Director or someone was murdered in Mt.Lavinia by the locals, when he got out of the car to apologise the person who was hit by him...

This is specially when you have a victim...

Yeah. Lucky that way. Armour street too. rough hood.

Nope, third party. Guy didn't ask for anything and had got himself discharged before we could talk to him. Then again, tho my point of view is its his fault for running across without looking and hitting the side of my vehicle, some ppl tell me if a vehicle hits a ped its the vehicles fault, no matter what.... dunno.

Guys dont bother to Vote. I screwed up the poll and its not working :angry-smiley-005::party-smiley-015: Lets just hear of your experience :alc::music-smiley-012:

my first accident was 6 dayz ago. i condemned a Susuki Grand vitara 2006. i was not hurt but my colleague was bit hurt.

lost control of the SUV coz of a left wheel puncture and run to a rock beside off the road and the SUV turned over and remained on it’s roof,. SUV is beyond repair. got shit from the company and processing on the insurance claim nw. :party-smiley-015:

the first question from police was were there any dead ...!!! :party-smiley-015:

some ppl tell me if a vehicle hits a ped its the vehicles fault, no matter what.... dunno.

man thats unfair. there's nothing much a driver can do when an idiot jumped to the road. isn’t there a way to claim the money off the pedestrian if the car is only on 3rd party?????????? can't u sue him????

@NASCAR OMG

is ur friend alrite now??

thats too bad.. so is the grand vitara stable?? i mean is it good in control?? cuz my friend is gonna buy one..

you cant blame the vehicle... i guess any vehicle would loose control if it got a puncture while traveling at even average speeds....

the fact that it is a SUV thus higher center of gravity would mean its more prone to flipping over than a car...

@NASCAR OMG

is ur friend alrite now??

thats too bad.. so is the grand vitara stable?? i mean is it good in control?? cuz my friend is gonna buy one..

yeah my friend is doing well now, but nothing serious. still his left side of the head is numb. but the doctors said that it will fine later. i was so worried. the guy is the asst. chief

boy i duno much abt Susuki Grand Vitara, but it was a Auto. to me it's seems good and i dnt drive long drives just from work and home.