• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Straightening The Traffic Police Myths

SeanD

The following is a rejoinder from the Traffic Police Headquarters to an e-mail circulating via the Internet, straightening out the facts.

1. A single cop cannot stop you on the road!

(It’s prohibited and you are not suppose to Stop either!)

Answer Incorrect- The Motor Traffic Act of 1951 and amendments to the Act thereafter, do not specify the number of policemen required to order a motorist to stop. Any police personnel is empowered to stop any vehicle and it is not restricted to offences under the Motor Traffic Act. Vehicles can also be stopped by police for any investigational purpose.

2. A single cop cannot seize your driving license!

Answer Incorrect. Under section 162 of the Motor Traffic Act (MTA), a driving license could be taken charge of by a policeman in uniform for violating offences under the MTA as well as certain offences prescribed in the Penal Code.

3. Only a ‘traffic control’ cop has the authority to request anything more than your NIC when you are behind wheels.

Answer Incorrect- Any policeman in uniform could examine the driving license, revenue license, insurance certificate and, or, any other document pertaining to the operation of the vehicle.

4. A single traffic cop can never press charges against you. He must have a witness if he does so.

Answer Incorrect.

5. That’s why you always find ‘two’ cops together.

Answer Incorrect- Deployment of policemen is decided by respective officers in charge depending on their requirement and the availability of resources.

6. Police is a peace controlling force, not an armed force!!! They are prohibited by law to carry anything more than a baton! (but due to the prevailing war, they are issued guns by a supreme court ruling, till the war ends)

Answer Incorrect- Policemen are empowered by law to carry weapons to protect persons and property and to maintain and to maintain law and order.

7. So, if a cop pulls a gun on you, you can sue him!!!

Answer Police are deployed to uphold the law.

8. If a cop claims that you are drunk, you have the full right to ask for a ‘balloon test’. if they do not have it in their possession on the time of your request, you can go.

Answer Incorrect- A breathalyzer test is not mandatory in the event of the non-availability of a breathalyzer test, police may produce a suspect driver before the nearest government medical officer for an examination. Under MT 155 (1) (e), any person who refuses to submit himself or herself to such an examination shall be presumed to have been driving under the influence of alcohol or prohibited drugs.

9. Only traffic Cops have the right to stop any moving vehicle. (that’s why you find at least one normal cop in every checkpoint even though they are manned by Army)

Answer Incorrect-See answer to Number one.

10. Cops, cannot enter your home or work premises without a court order. You have the fullest right ask for it, if they try to enter and also deny their entrance if you ‘feel’ like it. — incorrect. Where police have reasonable suspicion, they may search premises in the course of their investigations.

11. A traffic cop cannot seize your driving license until he fully states the crime you have committed and the relating penal code violation. If he is unsuccessful in stating them, on can go free — Incorrect - However, policeman will always explain the charge to the offending motorist before his or her license is taken charge of and a temporary driving permit is issued. The temporary driving permit too will mention the offence or violation for which the motorists had been booked.

12. If a ‘traffic cop seizes your license by force and ask you to come to the police station to collect it. Do not go, lodge a complain directly to the Police commission or the ‘Provincial IG?’, you can get the cop sacked for his misconduct and unruly behaviour. — Motorists are required by law to surrender their license when requested by a policeman in uniform. However, the motorists have the right to complain of any alleged misconduct by a policeman to the National Police Commission, the Inspector General of Police or the nearest police station. There is no ‘Provincial IGP’ as stated in number 12 of this article.

13. (For girls), if a cop asks for your Identifications and (if you think he’s doing it on purpose to harass you) you can deny his request. He cannot arrest you! You have the right to request for a Female Police officer. See answer below.

14, (for Girls) if you are asked to be body checked, it’s your right to get it done by a female cop. If they don’t have one in present, deny their action, — No female will be searched by a policeman. Females may request to be searched by a police woman. Any motorist, male or female is required by law to produce documents to the police officer requesting them.

Gfx just got fined recently for :-

1. High speed driving. (According to him in excess of 120 and the copper did NOT have a speed gun)

2. Reckless driving causing danger to others on the road. :angry-smiley-048:

3. Excessive noise level. :violent-smiley-030:

Accompanied the 'ol boy to the coppers today to sort the matter out. Initially the moron that fined him said it was to be nothing but a "Straight to Courts" case. Subsequently while arguing the said charge a rather more senior moron (a woman copper) was consulted. Immediately realising what a bogus fine this was and also knowing that she must save face of both the police and the first moron said it was to be a very small fine of........................prepare yourselves..................................... Rs. 600/= ! :lol:

While coming to the conclusion she asked if this was a car that went "Booooom" with a "Big silencer"? !!!! Categorically denied ofcourse! :D

Clearly the first moron was after a nice thumping bribe from Gfx on the day of the fine. As he refused he went ahead and tried to make his life hell. Good thing for the copper that it didn't work.

On the way out we spotted the sorry sight of the recently ruined Honda Repsol 1000 and yes you have guessed correctly. It was the Kurudhuwatte police station.

Cops in this country have reached a new level of ridiculousness. Sad state of affairs for which no one is to blame other than the general public for putting up with all the POO that these ignorant, uneducated, third-class fools throw.

Drive safe.

Cheers!

Man... you got copped for doing 120 km/h on a... errr... "no speed limit" zone?

What's the reaction if you don't stop....?

Well, let me put it this way, I was doing in excess of 120 km/h on Colombo Puttalam road, I a cop flagged me down... but I jst... couldn't stop.. (there was another car trailing me n I didn't wan't him to pass m3 :rolleyes: )

Man... you got copped for doing 120 km/h on a... errr... "no speed limit" zone?

What's the reaction if you don't stop....?

Well, let me put it this way, I was doing in excess of 120 km/h on Colombo Puttalam road, I a cop flagged me down... but I jst... couldn't stop.. (there was another car trailing me n I didn't wan't him to pass m3 :rolleyes: )

i went towards commons on flower road and yeah i was high speeding, but they stooped me when i was coming back, i was driving very slowly at that time, as i remember i got fine for High speeding, reckless driving, blocking the road and loud exhaust, and i was only high speeding and i didn't block the road, the funny part was i got the ticket after 30 mns when im going back, anyway i don't drive fast in Colombo but that time i was in real hurry, in the end 630 Rs for all 4 :action-smiley-060:

Edited by GihanFX

Gfx just got fined recently for :-

1. High speed driving. (According to him in excess of 120 and the copper did NOT have a speed gun)

2. Reckless driving causing danger to others on the road. :angry-smiley-048:

3. Excessive noise level. :violent-smiley-030:

Accompanied the 'ol boy to the coppers today to sort the matter out. Initially the moron that fined him said it was to be nothing but a "Straight to Courts" case. Subsequently while arguing the said charge a rather more senior moron (a woman copper) was consulted. Immediately realising what a bogus fine this was and also knowing that she must save face of both the police and the first moron said it was to be a very small fine of........................prepare yourselves..................................... Rs. 600/= ! :lol:

While coming to the conclusion she asked if this was a car that went "Booooom" with a "Big silencer"? !!!! Categorically denied ofcourse! :D

Clearly the first moron was after a nice thumping bribe from Gfx on the day of the fine. As he refused he went ahead and tried to make his life hell. Good thing for the copper that it didn't work.

On the way out we spotted the sorry sight of the recently ruined Honda Repsol 1000 and yes you have guessed correctly. It was the Kurudhuwatte police station.

Cops in this country have reached a new level of ridiculousness. Sad state of affairs for which no one is to blame other than the general public for putting up with all the POO that these ignorant, uneducated, third-class fools throw.

Drive safe.

Cheers!

lol so u shared it here :lol: anyway u missed the no 4, Blocking the Road, btw at the post office they found out calculations are wrong in the ticket and the cop didn't ticked the charges, so i had to meet the post master to correct it, he said this is normal with "8 pass" cops,

lol so u shared it here :lol: anyway u missed the no 4, Blocking the Road, btw at the post office they found out calculations are wrong in the ticket and the cop didn't ticked the charges, so i had to meet the post master to correct it, he said this is normal with "8 pass" cops,

i wonder on what grounds they say it was over speed if they didn't have a speed gun ?

i went towards commons on flower road and yeah i was high speeding, but they stooped me when i was coming back, i was driving very slowly at that time, as i remember i got fine for High speeding, reckless driving, blocking the road and loud exhaust, and i was only high speeding and i didn't block the road, the funny part was i got the ticket after 30 mns when im going back, anyway i don't drive fast in Colombo but that time i was in real hurry, in the end 630 Rs for all 4 :action-smiley-060:

normally there's recklass driving involved with high-speeding.

heard from a friend of mine that speed zones have been enforced since of last week. any truth behind this????

heard from a friend of mine that speed zones have been enforced since of last week. any truth behind this????

high speeding and reckless driving are two different offenses, where reckless driving doesn't have option to choose a spot fine. There was a trend cops used reckless driving for high speeding when they don't have the speed detectors. Later there was an amendment to the law, cops should define why they raise charges under offense reckless driving.

high speeding and reckless driving are two different offenses, where reckless driving doesn't have option to choose a spot fine. There was a trend cops used reckless driving for high speeding when they don't have the speed detectors. Later there was an amendment to the law, cops should define why they raise charges under offense reckless driving.

post office people said police has to tick and mark the numbers of the charges they fine and write them on top, but in my case they couldn't do it and what they did was without ticking any numbers they just wrote 600 on the bottom, this is very complicated and in the first place they said for high speed they cant fine and i have to go to courts,

no idea machan, but noticed lot of traffic cops near every single color light today,

i wonder on what grounds they say it was over speed if they didn't have a speed gun ?

yeah, they stopped me and said about 30 minutes ago we saw u driving high speed and ask my DL, i didn't went to argue with them cus they can easily shot me and say to the media they shot a thug while thug try to shoot them :D

though the speed limits are not enforced. they still can catch you if you are going above 72 (highest speed limit allowed) but the cops just aren't doing it.

i got nabbed down south. cop stopped me for crossing a solid line. i was very sure i didn't. his argument was that i was all the way at the back andi had passed 6 cars in 1 go and there was no way i could do that if i didn't cross the line. i gave him my license and told him to write the ticket but i continued to say that it was wrong coz he was just guessing. soon he got mad and gave me my liscence back and told me to leave...

after that we both exchanged words and my final words to him was.. mathake thiyaganna.. angulana.. oyata ekeme thamai..

i didn't hang around for his reply...

though the speed limits are not enforced. they still can catch you if you are going above 72 (highest speed limit allowed) but the cops just aren't doing it.

i got nabbed down south. cop stopped me for crossing a solid line. i was very sure i didn't. his argument was that i was all the way at the back andi had passed 6 cars in 1 go and there was no way i could do that if i didn't cross the line. i gave him my license and told him to write the ticket but i continued to say that it was wrong coz he was just guessing. soon he got mad and gave me my liscence back and told me to leave...

after that we both exchanged words and my final words to him was.. mathake thiyaganna.. angulana.. oyata ekeme thamai..

Goodone Fuzzo i like da part about Angulana :violent-smiley-030::violent-smiley-099::angry-smiley-024::angry-smiley-048:

Edited by Container

Nice parting words mate! :lol:

in short the cops in angulana beat up and killed 2 guys (had something to do with the guys making fun at the OIC's lover)

the guys were actually shot. if not for the people around, this would have gone down as another underworld killing.

the cops that were involved are behind bars now... (this part is what i was referring to)

in my experience...they try to intimidate you and sorta get you to accepts that you were speeding :)

trice i've been flagged down for going over 100 and all those times for some odd reason...their speed gun failed to lock...

they tried their level best to issue me a ticket but i kept on arguing saying whether they have a in built speed sensor to know what speed i was doing if the gun failed to lock..

Once in demtagoda the cops got so ticked off that i was brave enough to talk back...they wanted to see if i was drunk :D

anyways i got away without anything all 3 occasions only to fall to them doing 60 in maligawatta...and this time the gun had locked :lol:

And on my XR, since it has a loud pipe...the cops always tend to think you're speeding even when you're not cos the bloody things sounds like it's speeding :)

I've been flagged down once on the bike cos it was loud and sounded like i was speeding :)

they tried to give a ticket for that also but managed to argue/bs my way out :)

cops were saying "apita sadde enkaota kiyanda puluwan oya speed limit eka panala thamai enne kiyala" :) :) :)

The following is a rejoinder from the Traffic Police Headquarters to an e-mail circulating via the Internet, straightening out the facts.

1. A single cop cannot stop you on the road!

(It’s prohibited and you are not suppose to Stop either!)

Answer Incorrect- The Motor Traffic Act of 1951 and amendments to the Act thereafter, do not specify the number of policemen required to order a motorist to stop. Any police personnel is empowered to stop any vehicle and it is not restricted to offences under the Motor Traffic Act. Vehicles can also be stopped by police for any investigational purpose.

2. A single cop cannot seize your driving license!

Answer Incorrect. Under section 162 of the Motor Traffic Act (MTA), a driving license could be taken charge of by a policeman in uniform for violating offences under the MTA as well as certain offences prescribed in the Penal Code.

3. Only a ‘traffic control’ cop has the authority to request anything more than your NIC when you are behind wheels.

Answer Incorrect- Any policeman in uniform could examine the driving license, revenue license, insurance certificate and, or, any other document pertaining to the operation of the vehicle.

4. A single traffic cop can never press charges against you. He must have a witness if he does so.

Answer Incorrect.

5. That’s why you always find ‘two’ cops together.

Answer Incorrect- Deployment of policemen is decided by respective officers in charge depending on their requirement and the availability of resources.

6. Police is a peace controlling force, not an armed force!!! They are prohibited by law to carry anything more than a baton! (but due to the prevailing war, they are issued guns by a supreme court ruling, till the war ends)

Answer Incorrect- Policemen are empowered by law to carry weapons to protect persons and property and to maintain and to maintain law and order.

7. So, if a cop pulls a gun on you, you can sue him!!!

Answer Police are deployed to uphold the law.

8. If a cop claims that you are drunk, you have the full right to ask for a ‘balloon test’. if they do not have it in their possession on the time of your request, you can go.

Answer Incorrect- A breathalyzer test is not mandatory in the event of the non-availability of a breathalyzer test, police may produce a suspect driver before the nearest government medical officer for an examination. Under MT 155 (1) (e), any person who refuses to submit himself or herself to such an examination shall be presumed to have been driving under the influence of alcohol or prohibited drugs.

9. Only traffic Cops have the right to stop any moving vehicle. (that’s why you find at least one normal cop in every checkpoint even though they are manned by Army)

Answer Incorrect-See answer to Number one.

10. Cops, cannot enter your home or work premises without a court order. You have the fullest right ask for it, if they try to enter and also deny their entrance if you ‘feel’ like it. — incorrect. Where police have reasonable suspicion, they may search premises in the course of their investigations.

11. A traffic cop cannot seize your driving license until he fully states the crime you have committed and the relating penal code violation. If he is unsuccessful in stating them, on can go free — Incorrect - However, policeman will always explain the charge to the offending motorist before his or her license is taken charge of and a temporary driving permit is issued. The temporary driving permit too will mention the offence or violation for which the motorists had been booked.

12. If a ‘traffic cop seizes your license by force and ask you to come to the police station to collect it. Do not go, lodge a complain directly to the Police commission or the ‘Provincial IG?’, you can get the cop sacked for his misconduct and unruly behaviour. — Motorists are required by law to surrender their license when requested by a policeman in uniform. However, the motorists have the right to complain of any alleged misconduct by a policeman to the National Police Commission, the Inspector General of Police or the nearest police station. There is no ‘Provincial IGP’ as stated in number 12 of this article.

13. (For girls), if a cop asks for your Identifications and (if you think he’s doing it on purpose to harass you) you can deny his request. He cannot arrest you! You have the right to request for a Female Police officer. See answer below.

14, (for Girls) if you are asked to be body checked, it’s your right to get it done by a female cop. If they don’t have one in present, deny their action, — No female will be searched by a policeman. Females may request to be searched by a police woman. Any motorist, male or female is required by law to produce documents to the police officer requesting them.

oh dear god!!!!

the coppers have access to the internet????

wonder if they read AL? :) :)

oh dear god!!!!

the coppers have access to the internet????

wonder if they read AL? :) :)

Hope they do! Atleast they would read this thread and realise how despised they are! Although that's not likely to change them in a hurry :violent-smiley-099:

do u live in sri lanka?

no, but I always am in touch with what's going on in SL - this one had just slipped through

thanks fuzzo for explaining

speed limit has to be notified before enforcing - but how many speed limit signs do you see on SL roads? once I managed to argue myself out of a speed ticket down south because there were no sign displaying what the limit was in or preceding the area I was flagged down. cop gave me a vary tough time though

• 1 month later...

guys, need some help

last tuesday I got copped for "reckless driving" at galleface. cause i turned into galleface hotel road a bit fast.. :rolleyes: anyway the copper took my license, gave me a temp license and said I have to be at courts (some aluth place :S) on friday the 9th..

okay the help I need is... what the dickens do I do? :unsure: I just have to go there find a lawyer go to courts and say "yes I'm guilty of the offense" and pay a fine?? or?? :unsure: help please. :(