• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cars Made In Srilanka

Le Sabre

Just wanted to put a list together of cars made in srilanka.

Other than Microcars what are the other companies manufacturing cars in srilanka.

Theres a company making pickup trucks and also i heard that theres a company making vans and electric cars.

If anyone has any details on the manufacturing companies, there websites and other info and any future companies setting up in SL please so post some info and websites if there are any.

Other than Microcars what are the other companies manufacturing cars in srilanka.

Theres a company making pickup trucks and also i heard that theres a company making vans and electric cars.

If anyone has any details on the manufacturing companies, there websites and other info and any future companies setting up in SL please so post some info and websites if there are any.

The company which makes pick-up trucks www.universal-auto-assembly.com

The company which plans to make vans is Wasana Trading (Pvt) Limited. (Website www.lankawasana.com inactive at the moment)

Think Mitsubishi did some in the late 60's & 70's - Colt, check it out.

I too remember reading somewhere that MITSUBISHI COLT ELEVEN was assembled in Sri Lanka during that period. (Almost all the Colt Elevens bear 5 Sri Number Plates)

For those who haven't seen this model can get some idea with the following link.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/corporate...00f_sports.html

Edited by samishka

Japanese used cars assembly plant (around 14 year old cars) is at Japalawatte Minuwangoda their head office at Seeduwa.

Japanese used cars assembly plant (around 14 year old cars) is at Japalawatte Minuwangoda their head office at Seeduwa.

Hm, but isn't there a problem when registering cars that are bought from this? I heard these guys do Toyota 110 (not crystal light) and few other cars

Other than Micro and the Universal and Wasana are there anyother companies setting up in SL.

I guess Wasana might be making the chinese mini vans or do they have another model.

Have they started making the Jags in SL yet.

Also not to forget the Lanka Ashok Leyland buses too.

Other than Micro and the Universal and Wasana are there anyother companies setting up in SL.

I guess Wasana might be making the chinese mini vans or do they have another model.

Have they started making the Jags in SL yet.

Also not to forget the Lanka Ashok Leyland buses too.

I had a chat with one of the sales reps abt one Yr back from Universal Auto Assemblies, and they say they have started assembling Jags (their parent company, IWS Holdings). And they assemble only if a customer orders one. Don't know whether they are still operational due to current economic crisis.

And also there was a project to assemble LR Defenders. Does any one know about what happen to it?

And also there was a project to assemble LR Defenders. Does any one know about what happen to it?

Its ongoing, but have run into a few problems when it comes to register due to the new law imposed saying you cannot manufacture vehicles above 2000cc diesel and 1600cc petrol.

Still having talks with the higher folks as to how this could be sorted.

• 3 years later...

there is a red 2008 X type advertised online and in the papers for 4.3 Mil. this is well below the normal market price of the x type. i'm told that this is a car which was locally done. probably the only one that was ever done.

1 UMC Mazda 1500 Deluxe

2 Upali Fiat 128

3 Micro range

1 & 2 the no longer in business.

MINIACE

Mitsubishi Colt Eleven F 1968 (5Sri numbers)

Unimoto Lancer 1978 (8 sri and 9 Sri numbers)

Renault R4 Jeep model 1977-80 (7 Sri-10 Sri used by the Highways Dept and PWD)

Edited by CJ5

Mitsubishi Colt Eleven F 1968 (5Sri numbers)

Unimoto Lancer 1978 (8 sri and 9 Sri numbers)

Renault R4 Jeep model 1977-80 (7 Sri-10 Sri used by the Highways Dept and PWD)

machan care to elaborate more on the unimote Lancers,are they the older flat light lancers? i was under the impression that they were b/new imports

machan care to elaborate more on the unimote Lancers,are they the older flat light lancers? i was under the impression that they were b/new imports

It was the same as the flat light lancer except did not have the radio or even the blower and the interior was beige and the front seats did not have head restraints. Instead of the "Lancer" decal on the rear sides, there was a "Unimoto" decal I remember. Un#ted M##ors had one or two in the garage for their running also I remember. I used to go to UM with my father taking the car for repairs and checkups, and these used to be what I used to see.

There were the B/N flat light imports, cars and S/W (7sri-10 sri), but those had the radio and blower. At that time may be considered as "full option"!!!! :D

Edited by CJ5

It was the same as the flat light lancer except did not have the radio or even the blower and the interior was beige and the front seats did not have head restraints. Instead of the "Lancer" decal on the rear sides, there was a "Unimoto" decal I remember. Un#ted M##ors had one or two in the garage for their running also I remember. I used to go to UM with my father taking the car for repairs and checkups, and these used to be what I used to see.

There were the B/N flat light imports, cars and S/W (7sri-10 sri), but those had the radio and blower. At that time may be considered as "full option"!!!! :D

thanks mate

which version of lancer did you have?

thanks mate

which version of lancer did you have?

'79 S/W A72V.

Micros are definitely not made in SL. It's even hard to say that they are assembled here because they are not. We are all taken on a gigantic ride to avoid paying the correct import taxes. How do they get away with it? Because of the powerful "connections" ;). If we had an assembly plant here would it not be the pride of this country and would not there be factory visits by the public, school kids etc. Won't they show it on TV and boast about it?

I'll tell you what the assembly consists of. Removing protective stickers off the body, pasting the badges, replacing the Chinese battery with another imported one, If leather is required it's done locally and fill in the fluids - Oils and Coolants. Voila - Made in Sri Lanka.

How do I know this? I'm afraid I cannot reveal my sources, but make your inquiries from people in the know and you will see.

But Sri Lanka being Sri Lanka they'll probably get away with it for years to come and no one will be bothered about it I'm dead sure.

• Like 5

Micros are definitely not made in SL. It's even hard to say that they are assembled here because they are not. We are all taken on a gigantic ride to avoid paying the correct import taxes. How do they get away with it? Because of the powerful "connections" ;). If we had an assembly plant here would it not be the pride of this country and would not there be factory visits by the public, school kids etc. Won't they show it on TV and boast about it?

I'll tell you what the assembly consists of. Removing protective stickers off the body, pasting the badges, replacing the Chinese battery with another imported one, If leather is required it's done locally and fill in the fluids - Oils and Coolants. Voila - Made in Sri Lanka.

How do I know this? I'm afraid I cannot reveal my sources, but make your inquiries from people in the know and you will see.

But Sri Lanka being Sri Lanka they'll probably get away with it for years to come and no one will be bothered about it I'm dead sure.

True that. But I dont understand why a vehicle which you dont pay the full duty (supposedly assembled in SL) comes at around the same price of a fully duty paid vehicle of similar size (Panda and the MX7 or whatever).

True that. But I dont understand why a vehicle which you dont pay the full duty (supposedly assembled in SL) comes at around the same price of a fully duty paid vehicle of similar size (Panda and the MX7 or whatever).

Well, I guess you still gotta pay the labour of the local "assembling" as well as all the overheads which would probably not be applicable if you bought a similar new vehicle from an Agent.

One may argue that yes this "assembling" has to be done anyway even if it was done in Korea/China, but it would be done by much more efficient robots/production lines which would cost only a fraction of what it costs here.

Well, I guess you still gotta pay the labour of the local "assembling" as well as all the overheads which would probably not be applicable if you bought a similar new vehicle from an Agent.

One may argue that yes this "assembling" has to be done anyway even if it was done in Korea/China, but it would be done by much more efficient robots/production lines which would cost only a fraction of what it costs here.

Are you planning to take up politics in the future mate? :) That sounds like a highly convincing load of drivel that we see so frequently on TV these days :)

Are you planning to take up politics in the future mate? :) That sounds like a highly convincing load of drivel that we see so frequently on TV these days :)

Sorry, i just read what i typed.. It's not the clearest thing to read...

I was just saying.. You cant remove one tiny step of a highly efficient optimized production line, replace it with manual labour and expect save on the overall cost. So, if you take away the tax component, I bet an original SangYong Kyron is cheaper than a Micro Kyron.