• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Oil Changing Interval With Different Oils

ravisam

I've heared different sales persons advice differently against their oil agency. Since with the locally manufactured (the most popular) oil we change every 4000km with synthetic oils interval can be allowed up to 15000km.

We can agree that, since engine oil contains more than 15 properties going for better oil will not change the properties for long duration. But, how can it change the carbon soot and amount of sulfuric acid added by the fuel. So with better engine oils also we cannot extend the interval as two properties of the oil are reduced.

I asked the same question from both S**ll and C***x, sales engineers the Indian engineer came from S**l could not answer. C***x engineer answered saying that with a better oil it will disperse carbon soot better and increase in base number due to sulfuric acid he could not answer. But I am not agreeng with him. Is anyone in the forum can give a better answer justifying the increase of interval. :unsure:

I've heared different sales persons advice differently against their oil agency. Since with the locally manufactured (the most popular) oil we change every 4000km with synthetic oils interval can be allowed up to 15000km.

We can agree that, since engine oil contains more than 15 properties going for better oil will not change the properties for long duration. But, how can it change the carbon soot and amount of sulfuric acid added by the fuel. So with better engine oils also we cannot extend the interval as two properties of the oil are reduced.

I asked the same question from both S**ll and C***x, sales engineers the Indian engineer came from S**l could not answer. C***x engineer answered saying that with a better oil it will disperse carbon soot better and increase in base number due to sulfuric acid he could not answer. But I am not agreeng with him. Is anyone in the forum can give a better answer justifying the increase of interval. :unsure:

Sorry i don't quite follow what the engineers said. But fully synthetic oils can give u longer service intervals, but it depends on the driving style, climate and type of engine. Best thing is check what the manufacturer recommends instead of what the sales guy says, he only wants to sell his products. Get the best oil you can afford and change it regularly.

I use fully Synthetic and I have discovered that 15k is too long for our traffic and driving. I change below 10k Kms.

few days back had a chat with the agents and they told me they recommend to use mineral oil and change it in ever 3000km's as the reason they said bad quality fuel and fuel mixing with oil, even the oil level wont go down viscosity will be not gud

Sorry i don't quite follow what the engineers said. But fully synthetic oils can give u longer service intervals, but it depends on the driving style, climate and type of engine. Best thing is check what the manufacturer recommends instead of what the sales guy says, he only wants to sell his products. Get the best oil you can afford and change it regularly.

I agree with U, but you have to consider also the emmissions added by the fuel mainly Sulfer and carbon soot. In diesel engines what ever the oil U used after about 5000km you can see the engine oil thickens and carbonsoot accumulated. Also in both diesel & petrol engines you can measure the decrease in base number (due to Sulfuric) in the same way. So what the SL oil traders saying we have to omit & follow the minimum manufactureres recommended mineral oils and change in 3000km intervals.

I agree with U, but you have to consider also the emmissions added by the fuel mainly Sulfer and carbon soot. In diesel engines what ever the oil U used after about 5000km you can see the engine oil thickens and carbonsoot accumulated. Also in both diesel & petrol engines you can measure the decrease in base number (due to Sulfuric) in the same way. So what the SL oil traders saying we have to omit & follow the minimum manufactureres recommended mineral oils and change in 3000km intervals.

I agree about the change intervals. The MAX you should run ANY oil whether mineral,semi synthetic or fully synthetic is 5000 km's.(some say even that is too long). They(the oil manufactures) will say you can run 10-15 thousand km's, but this can just ruin your engine through sludge build up. I didn't know much about this sludge factor at first, but i've been researching and checking for nearly 3 months now and the results i've got are amazing! At a garage I saw a Montero (the smaller one) a montero junior or something with a turbocharged petrol engine(gdi) a passat turbo petrol all in for sludge clean ups. And the sludge had gotten soo thick a simple flushing was not enough, the engines were removed right down to the piston rings and were cleaned up with thinner etc. The montero's engine had to have its valves changed. The owners were cursing as they had to pay soo much to get it cleaned and the time it takes is just soo in-convenient that its a sin to let your engine run like that. A couple of days ago I saw a vios which had soo much sludge the cam shafts could not be seen! (i'm not kidding) it was just covered in blackish greasy goo! I've been told that one of the reasons the oil turns into sludge is because when there is a complete combustion in the cylinder, one of the by-products is h20 which is water. (which is why well tuned cars send out water from the exhaust) So apparently when this water mixes with the engine oil it becomes sludge.. (thats not the only reason obviously) so please dont change your oil in 10-15 thousand km's as you are just asking for trouble. Some people may say that the sludge factor is over-exaggerated. But after what i've seen, i say better safe than sorry! It doesn't matter if you use Mobil 1 Super synth or caltex havoline! change it by 3000-5000 Km's.

few days back had a chat with the agents and they told me they recommend to use mineral oil and change it in ever 3000km's as the reason they said bad quality fuel and fuel mixing with oil, even the oil level wont go down viscosity will be not gud

Which "agents" are these?

I agree about the change intervals. The MAX you should run ANY oil whether mineral,semi synthetic or fully synthetic is 5000 km's.(some say even that is too long). They(the oil manufactures) will say you can run 10-15 thousand km's, but this can just ruin your engine through sludge build up. I didn't know much about this sludge factor at first, but i've been researching and checking for nearly 3 months now and the results i've got are amazing! At a garage I saw a Montero (the smaller one) a montero junior or something with a turbocharged petrol engine(gdi) a passat turbo petrol all in for sludge clean ups. And the sludge had gotten soo thick a simple flushing was not enough, the engines were removed right down to the piston rings and were cleaned up with thinner etc. The montero's engine had to have its valves changed. The owners were cursing as they had to pay soo much to get it cleaned and the time it takes is just soo in-convenient that its a sin to let your engine run like that. A couple of days ago I saw a vios which had soo much sludge the cam shafts could not be seen! (i'm not kidding) it was just covered in blackish greasy goo! I've been told that one of the reasons the oil turns into sludge is because when there is a complete combustion in the cylinder, one of the by-products is h20 which is water. (which is why well tuned cars send out water from the exhaust) So apparently when this water mixes with the engine oil it becomes sludge.. (thats not the only reason obviously) so please dont change your oil in 10-15 thousand km's as you are just asking for trouble. Some people may say that the sludge factor is over-exaggerated. But after what i've seen, i say better safe than sorry! It doesn't matter if you use Mobil 1 Super synth or caltex havoline! change it by 3000-5000 Km's.

100% agree with you machan. It doesn't matter the oil type or grade you use but always make sure an oil change within 5000km. I use Mobil Super XHP 15w-40 multi grade mineral oil and change in every 4000km even though they say that I can drive 6000km with the oil I use. Because of SL's weather, dusty roads, fuel etc...it will be better to change the oil as frequent as you can. Changing the oil in every 4000km with mineral oil is lot better than changing the oil in 15000km with synthetic oil. I remember fuzzo was saying the same as he changes the oil in his Vios in every 3500km with mineral oil.

Edited by Bharatha

in fact this is what i'm doing not only for oil even for air cleaners filters. Go for a fair quality stuff and change frequently. Old cars and diesels use loose refill during the service and for new engines use semi synthetic and again change in every 3k

I guess 90% of the discussion conclusion is to use a decent oil with regular change intervals (3 to 5k Kms) which I too highly agree.

In my personal note I'd say the owners has a bigger role to play when it comes to taking care of their vehicles.

We put the car for a full service and expect a genuine job done, but lot of service stations (even reputed ones) don't live up to the standards and cheat whenever possible if we left it un-attended. Most common trick is not changing the oil and air filters. You'd get a thumping bill, but running again with the same old dirt without knowing the harm its doing...

So my advice is always pay attention to whats happening n never leave it un-attended.

Further reading,

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

http://silvertwist.blogspot.com/2008/06/di...-best-4-ur.html

5000km oil changes on fully synth in normal 'less pushed' cars IMO is very conservative. If the oil has been in the car upto 3-4 months only you can easily run 5000miles. (assuming the car is in good condition)

Edited by Elvis_Pil

there is another thing.. i think the duration affects too.. i use mobil full synthtic too, but i have found out after 4 months inside the engine, the level is going down now... there is nothing wrong with the engine as there are no oil leaks.. so maybe the duration is also a factor... expert comments are welcome..

there is another thing.. i think the duration affects too.. i use mobil full synthtic too, but i have found out after 4 months inside the engine, the level is going down now... there is nothing wrong with the engine as there are no oil leaks.. so maybe the duration is also a factor... expert comments are welcome..

low viscosity fully synth would burn itself in a high miles motor... really not worth it machan

yeah me thinks that too.. so whats good for a high miles motor... mineral with a high sae rating or what...

A bit thicker mineral oil would be fine. Better option 20w-50.

• 9 years later...

Bringing up an old thread because we faced a situation where it messed with intervals and viscosity. However please give an idea of what happens or what actions to be taken when a car with 118k in ODO ran around around 10,500kms after last oil change (Cast**l GTX 20W 50) and changed to Cast**l GTX 10W 40?

FYI : Car is Honda fit area 2008 and it is used to change oil by every 5000km intervals with the filter. This time only we forgot to do so.. ? Car runs around 750km per month. Btw 20w 50 was introduced by the service station considering the millage from last two oil change.

On 10/1/2018 at 4:51 PM, rassa said:

Bringing up an old thread because we faced a situation where it messed with intervals and viscosity. However please give an idea of what happens or what actions to be taken when a car with 118k in ODO ran around around 10,500kms after last oil change (Cast**l GTX 20W 50) and changed to Cast**l GTX 10W 40?

FYI : Car is Honda fit area 2008 and it is used to change oil by every 5000km intervals with the filter. This time only we forgot to do so.. ? Car runs around 750km per month. Btw 20w 50 was introduced by the service station considering the millage from last two oil change.

Don't loose sleep over this, now it is on new oil 10W 40 should be ok keep an eye over old consumption if you need to top up before the change may be you will have to go back to 20W 40.

118K is not an issue for a properly maintained car

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:51 PM, rassa said:

20W 40 for a 118k mileage car ? Isn't that a bit too thick ? As Kuch said 118 is nothing for a properly maintained car. Mixing different oils from different brands can cause minor issues in the long run such as a sort of very thin sludge like substance being present inside the head. Same brand, wont have a problem. 

11 minutes ago, rassa said:

Thanks @kush @TheFlyingFox

but my main concern was that we missed to change the engine oil until it reached 10,500km mark from last change. It was Cast**l GTX 20W 50 inside and I am worrying because running around 10k with a mineral oil would do any harm to the engine.

If this happened only 1 time then there is nothing to worry about. If you run 10,000 periods continuously with mineral oil then it can cause problems as aging mineral oil cannot clean the engine properly and the oil can break at high temps , this can cause the oil not being able to lubricate the engine properly adding more wear and tare to the components. You can run for long periods with Synthetic because they don't break at high temps for a long time and maintains it's composure. 

23 hours ago, TheFlyingFox said:

If this happened only 1 time then there is nothing to worry about. If you run 10,000 periods continuously with mineral oil then it can cause problems as aging mineral oil cannot clean the engine properly and the oil can break at high temps , this can cause the oil not being able to lubricate the engine properly adding more wear and tare to the components. You can run for long periods with Synthetic because they don't break at high temps for a long time and maintains it's composure. 

Well noted. Actually this is the first time it happened. I guess its better to move to synthetic for safer side even we change it on 5k intervals.  Thanks ?