• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Worst Vehicle Insurance Company In Sri Lanka

Theje G

It's pity to say that I caught for a vehicle insurance scam but they call it an insurance scheme.

Its NON other than Uni#n As#urance, the Worst insurance company that you can ever think of.

The story

I recently bought a used car and got the leasing done from a well known bank namely "Nations Trust Bank" since "Uni#n As#urance" is under the wing of NTB I was advised by the bank to insure under them. The Premium came up to 35 thousand rupees odd as I wanted to get a full cover.

Just after one month, I met with an accident. The story began from this point. The other party has insured there vehicle under "c******o V*P on the spot" and the assessor came at that instance and assessed the damage and gave them the assessed document then and there. Alas for me I had to wait for another 2 ~ 3 hours for my assessor from "Uni#n As#urance"

And after all the trouble I went through, we took the car to a garage. After removing the damaged parts the assessor again has deducted a huge amount from the quoted price. Not to mention the time he took to asses.

Garage people then straightened the parts they could and they started searching for parts and after one week the garage people realized that there are no Spares available. Then the garage people have decided to import the parts and finally they found a place/ a person who can import the stuff. They have forwarded a quote to "Uni#n As#urance" for approvals. This is when the real problem started. "Uni#n As#urance" also started searching for "Low Cost" parts, Weeks and weeks passed without any luck.

Last week I started to outcry them all for doing nothing, and finally got through to a person who can at least talk to me namely “Buddhika” of “motor claims” department. Yet again he and his team mate “Firnaz” was lagging work and just passed the buck between them two everyday. When I asked How much I can claim as the “Vehicle Rental allowance” which is printed in BOLD letters the call was then passed to a person called “Thilak” who didn’t know the “alphabet” of insurance or may be he is so lazy to work, may be it’s the high time for the top management to rethink of placing people on positions. He couldn’t at least talk few words at a stretch, and was not in a position to give me a straight answer, kept on saying that he will call me tomorrow and give me the details also said that he doesn’t have any documents, any papers with him. To be frank, I never came across such a illiterate, in competent person in my life.

Still waiting for the final decision, sometimes I might have to forget the car.

What can I do?

Mate- make a complaint to the consumer affairs dept (i think thats what it is called, either way it does exist)- even thought its a govt. department they have to record the complaint and eventually investigate it. However, you should find out who the director/senior manager of the claims/auto insurance division is and write a strong worded letter about the service and incompetence of his/her staff. Also inform them of your intent to file a complaint with the consumer affairs division. Since you're already in process of a claim, there's not a whole lot more you can do though now.

However, its a known fact that all but one of the named insurance companies are all BS in their Full cover policies. The only company i have heard good word time and again is the one with the bird as a logo.

"Full Cover" for most of the companies is a ruse- you DON'T get brand new parts, and their objective is to extract as much cash from your policy but incur the lowest cost in repairing your vehicle- hence the insistence to install used/second hand parts. Brand new parts are only honoured for brand new vehicles.

If ever these companies get audited by an international body, they would be deemed unethical and invalid in their business.

Edited by gunat

As Gunat suggested its best you make a complain to Consumer Affairs Authority , they are realyy effective.

More appropriately you could complain to Insurance Board of Sri Lanka as all Insurance co's are governed by them.

Better push some higher ups, that's what work in SL, after all we are land like no other.

Hope you get matters sorted quickly.

Mate- make a complaint to the consumer affairs dept (i think thats what it is called, either way it does exist)- even thought its a govt. department they have to record the complaint and eventually investigate it. However, you should find out who the director/senior manager of the claims/auto insurance division is and write a strong worded letter about the service and incompetence of his/her staff. Also inform them of your intent to file a complaint with the consumer affairs division. Since you're already in process of a claim, there's not a whole lot more you can do though now.

However, its a known fact that all but one of the named insurance companies are all BS in their Full cover policies. The only company i have heard good word time and again is the one with the bird as a logo.

"Full Cover" for most of the companies is a ruse- you DON'T get brand new parts, and their objective is to extract as much cash from your policy but incur the lowest cost in repairing your vehicle- hence the insistence to install used/second hand parts. Brand new parts are only honoured for brand new vehicles.

If ever these companies get audited by an international body, they would be deemed unethical and invalid in their business.

Actually switched to the same 'bird logo company' :) recently from SLIC. Must say the service so far has been very good. The SLIC staff had no interest in recontracting my policy and charged me a crazy amount even after the NCB. Really did not feel like dealing with them anymore. Hopefully this will prove to be the correct decision

Actually switched to the same 'bird logo company' :) recently from SLIC. Must say the service so far has been very good. The SLIC staff had no interest in recontracting my policy and charged me a crazy amount even after the NCB. Really did not feel like dealing with them anymore. Hopefully this will prove to be the correct decision

well i too will ditch SLIC next time around...

busted my wing mirror and got it replaced...

FP approved 1200 for paint, 250 to fix it and they didn't put a quote for the mirror replacement...

i got a used mirror for 3k and paint and fixing was 1200...

stupid SLIC sends me a darn check for 2900!!!! WTF???

at least no bloody explanation why they damn didn't pay the full thing...

guess the beauty of becoming a government run institution!!! :violent-smiley-030:

well i too will ditch SLIC next time around...

busted my wing mirror and got it replaced...

FP approved 1200 for paint, 250 to fix it and they didn't put a quote for the mirror replacement...

i got a used mirror for 3k and paint and fixing was 1200...

stupid SLIC sends me a darn check for 2900!!!! WTF???

at least no bloody explanation why they damn didn't pay the full thing...

guess the beauty of becoming a government run institution!!! :violent-smiley-030:

My vehicle policy is under Cey**co V*P and i don’t have any major issues against them. Recently i got a claim done and the process went smoothly. I think nowadays they are treating the customer well since the whole group is in a disastrous situation. I can’t comment on other companies cos i dont have any experience with them. But Cey***co is my favorite.

Buddy, My vehicle policy also under Uni*n As*urance. Recently I got a small claim. Its has done smoothly (as corolla121 has mentioned). but NO idea about your damage. What is your vehicle ? Try again and see. First you go and speak to a higher person in Uni*n As*urance.

If not........ best thing to make a complain to Consumer Affairs Authority. Before that please read all the documents again & get an idea.

Edited by Prami

i think its how u deal with them, i have helped lot of my friends to get claims and didnt had any issues with c******o and janashakti, union is very easy cus of call and go, had few issues with SLIC but finally got the claims,

j********i is very easy to work with but sometime they take bit more time, payments are awesome

Like someone here said it is how you deal with them. Our first point of contact is the customer care agent. In my honest opinion most are incapable of thinking for them self and quite averse to taking any initiative help the customer. All they do very well is to fake an accent when speaking in English and I honestly don’t know why they believe that this accent is going to help the customer.

I too am with Union and have not had any trouble in all my claims. This is probably because at the hint of any delay I contact his manager and get the issues are sorted out within minutes. This is not before I inform them that I am aware of the many insurance companies that are interested in my business and would have no trouble taking it to them.

You should seriously consider speaking to a manager or a higher up in the ladder and give them a time frame to sort out your issue. And if they don’t, never hesitate to take it to the Insurance ombudsman, SL I******* board and the Consumer Affairs commission. I personally do know that the people at the consumer affairs commission are very helpful.

Most importantly,once you go through this hassle and get your problem sorted out make sure...very sure that you influence as many people as possible to not insure their vehicles with the problem insurer.

I have all my babes with Jana$hakthi.Im a very happy customer.My agent is also a super guy.Helped me out with claims too.Im happy to give his number if reqd.

MINIACE

Likewise. No hassle. No silly questions. In fact was very reasonable when I took a revised quote. Paid it all within 7 days! They Only jacked up my renewed premium and wiped out the NCB.

Ha ha ha ha ha!!

before u insure ur car get a valivation report for the name of the insurance company, then someday if u geting a high claim they cant say the car is insured under value, cus once c******o did same thing for one of my friends car

Absolutely!!!! We never think about it until some unfortunate accident renders the car condemned and the insurance company finds a loop hole NOT to pay!

Spend an extra few thousand Rupees so you will save a few hundred thousands.

nice thread. today morning i got pissed off after receiving my clam from SLIC. story is this, i met an accident and got a approval of clam amount Rs 7000/-. after completing the repair i showed the vehicle to SLIC agent and waiting for clam amount. waited 3weeks :blink: call hot line.. fed up with it... finally today morning i got a cheque from SLIC amount of Rs 345/-. (WHAT??? for 7000/-). as soon as i tried to contact them. according to them they deduct charges from it. vehicle is not under value estimated and i have i have increase the amount 2year back after get there estimate value. now i'm planning to go to their head office :angry-smiley-005::violent-smiley-030:

don't go SLIC. i'm planning to move from them.. (more than 5yrs i was with them)

nice thread. today morning i got pissed off after receiving my clam from SLIC. story is this, i met an accident and got a approval of clam amount Rs 7000/-. after completing the repair i showed the vehicle to SLIC agent and waiting for clam amount. waited 3weeks :blink: call hot line.. fed up with it... finally today morning i got a cheque from SLIC amount of Rs 345/-. (WHAT??? for 7000/-). as soon as i tried to contact them. according to them they deduct charges from it. vehicle is not under value estimated and i have i have increase the amount 2year back after get there estimate value. now i'm planning to go to their head office :angry-smiley-005::violent-smiley-030:

don't go SLIC. i'm planning to move from them.. (more than 5yrs i was with them)

Mate, first find out exactly what the real scenario is. Make sure you understand the fine print. My uncle lost out on a 65K claim becasue he DID NOT read the fine print. Basically, he paid the quarterly premium 2 weeks late and his claim was within that period. When he claimed and made a fuss, they showed a clause that said that if the claim falls within the period that the premium has not been paid, company reserves the right to deny.

Insurance is ALL ABOUT THE FINE PRINT.

Insurance is by nature a scam and a gamble. Play along!

First of all i should say that im not backing up SLIC here, but you said you are with them for 5 years. is the same vehicle ur using all this time? if yes, have you increase the insurance amount by value of the vehicle. and both parties should aware of this and the company has to inform the customer about this. Normally they say the insured value should be 80% of the current market value of the vehicle to get the full claim. maybe, that could be the problem in your case??

is the same vehicle ur using all this time? if yes, have you increase the insurance amount by value of the vehicle. and both parties should aware of this and the company has to inform the customer about this.

yes machan, same vehical. last time when i was getting insurance clam they deduct around 10% (as i remember) due to vehical was estimated under value. that is the first time i clam insurance from them. that happened 1.5yrs back. so after that i increased amount according to their market estimate value.

I have all my babes with Jana$hakthi.Im a very happy customer.My agent is also a super guy.Helped me out with claims too.Im happy to give his number if reqd.

MINIACE

Me too with Jana$hakthi and 100% satisfied customer. I have never heard some thing wrong with getting a claim with them. Also reasonable premium.

Guys think of this,

Insurence companies asses the value of the vehicle and calulate the probability of accidents then calculte the premium. So, If you are not renting or your vehicle is not leased, also your driving is carefull. calculate the amount you paid for them and what you have gained.

Go for 3rd party!!!!!!! only Rs 500.00. That's what I have been doing 4 my driving experience of 22 years (two minor accidents costing around Rs 15000/=). So think of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

I have had experience wit jan#shkti, cel##nco and SLIC. (wit three different cars)

I have had no problems wit cel##nco and jan#shkti and they have come at time, given proper assessments done payments quickly. Very satisfied.

As for SLIC i have good story to tel. Few months back called these guys up from a place that is only 1km from there branch. They took 45 minutes to come! and the whole time the idiot who talks on the hotline said that the agent wil be there whithin next 10 mins... After that fellow came he assessed the damage as 2500, and told me not to claim it, coz no-claim bonus is more worth... I blasted the fellow and he actually then assessed it for 7000.... But i have to fix and go and show that fellow to get the payment!!! I did not claim it mainly coz i don't hav time to fix the car and travel around insurance branches showcasing it. Atleast I keep my no-claim bonus so i can move to a better insurance co next time.

DO NOT GO FOR SLIC

Guys think of this,

Insurence companies asses the value of the vehicle and calulate the probability of accidents then calculte the premium. So, If you are not renting or your vehicle is not leased, also your driving is carefull. calculate the amount you paid for them and what you have gained.

Go for 3rd party!!!!!!! only Rs 500.00. That's what I have been doing 4 my driving experience of 22 years (two minor accidents costing around Rs 15000/=). So think of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

hm, it really depends on wht type of a driver u are. Also don't forget, an accident can happen at anytime. Nobody intentionally goes and knock the vehicle.

As for my experience, I have re-claimed 90% of my insurance so far. Actually the most recent accident didn't hav to do anything wit me! I just parked side of the road (where many other cars were parked) and some idiot had damaged and gone! These type of things can happen.