• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Civic Es5 Low Fuel Consumption

abramoon

Hi,

I have Honda civic ES5 2004 model and use 95 Octane petrol.In Colombo the fuel consumption is only about 7 KM/liter while same model cars doing over 9Km.

Two tune up was done from Stafford and some other place but still no change.Some suspect a lazy os2 sensor but no alarm coming like check engine light etc.

need some advice if you had the same trouble.

I checked with tech motors and os2 sensor not available with them to replace and see.

Car has tuned to water dripping level from silencer and no break binding or any other related trouble and running smoothly.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks.....

I usually check tire pressure at Felix perera and drive carefully after I learned that a heavy right foot will make a big difference to the consumption.

BTW I was monitoring my problem for last six month with various factors and still I feel there should be something wrong.

Can we clean a bad o2 sensor if we think it is dirty?

I always inflate the tires to the specification pasted on the driver door beam for my N16 (33 in front and 30psi rear), but some people insist on either putting 30 all round or so. Apparantly it's "better for Colombo roads." Isn't this bad practice or is there some truth to this?

Thanks.....

I usually check tire pressure at Felix perera and drive carefully after I learned that a heavy right foot will make a big difference to the consumption.

BTW I was monitoring my problem for last six month with various factors and still I feel there should be something wrong.

Can we clean a bad o2 sensor if we think it is dirty?

Dear Bro,

You better change the fuel to 90 octane and see. Because my ES1 is much better on 90 octane. Also drive at moderate speed.

As I mentioned before I have tried many things to identify the trouble.Actually used 90 octane too on Upuls instructions.

I meant Upul when I said Stafford and some other place.

Situation got worst with 90.

I have read a lot in this forum and other related forums and believe that os2 sensor can be the cause.But I understand that this sensor is not cheap and don't want to do a trial and error because I don't get any Check engine light alarm which should appear if any sensor is faulty.Simply I can take the car to the Stafford and tell them to check the sensor and hope they will replace it if anything wrong.But still I like to hear some professional advice with their experience in similar situations from this forum before going for a big deal.

Still I have not given up with Upul but could not visit him lately due to busy life.

I brought this to the forum because some says the trouble I have should be due to a bad sensor and there are ways to clean it with out replacing.I like to know whether it is true?

I always inflate the tires to the specification pasted on the driver door beam for my N16 (33 in front and 30psi rear), but some people insist on either putting 30 all round or so. Apparantly it's "better for Colombo roads." Isn't this bad practice or is there some truth to this?

Dear Sean D

My specifications on door in ES5 says 30 for all and I think better to follow what manufacture says.I believe that All tiers should have a pressure according to the load it bears and manufacture should know better about the loads on every tire .In some cars they need higher pressure in front to balance the weight and sometimes the impact of heavy braking as I have heard.But as our friend says in this forum tire pressure directly involve with fuel consumption and manufacture specs are for maximum fuel consumptions.

• 1 month later...
Thanks...I will meet him when I visit for next service.

BRO i also using a Honda civic ES5 2005 model which does 10+Km/Litre and that is with AC. But to tell u da truth, if my own brother is driving da car...it does max 9 km/litre.... Generally ES5 does 8 in colombo city limits as bcz ES5 came with a 1600 CC , D16 Motor is a comaparatively heavy drinker....when comparing to ES1 , D16 motors cosumes more fuel but provides high power and good torques.... and also ES5 doesnt have a CVT gear box unlike ES1 Ferio, that also affects da fuel consumption.

With smooth driving and moderate control of Air Conditioner, u can achieve 12km/litre from a D16W motor (ES5).

Metting Lal Ganegoda will do a Wurth FSC and a PGM test.

Meet Dinanja who handles the PGM test and electronics @ Stafford. He knows da stuff and will advice. But bro if ur ES5 does 8 Km/Litre , dat means its ok with regular driving ....TRUST ME !

• Like 1

BRO i also using a Honda civic ES5 2005 model which does 10+Km/Litre and that is with AC. But to tell u da truth, if my own brother is driving da car...it does max 9 km/litre.... Generally ES5 does 8 in colombo city limits as bcz ES5 came with a 1600 CC , D16 Motor is a comaparatively heavy drinker....when comparing to ES1 , D16 motors cosumes more fuel but provides high power and good torques.... and also ES5 doesnt have a CVT gear box unlike ES1 Ferio, that also affects da fuel consumption.

With smooth driving and moderate control of Air Conditioner, u can achieve 12km/litre from a D16W motor (ES5).

Meet Dinanja who handles the PGM test and electronics @ Stafford. He knows da stuff and will advice. But bro if ur ES5 does 8 Km/Litre , dat means its ok with regular driving ....TRUST ME !

Thank you very much for the information.

I will be happy to have 8KM/Liter in City and I also think it should be ok .But My current consumption is 7 or less.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
My 2004 ES1 is doing 9.5 km/l-10.5 km/l in colombo.I am driving at modarate traffic in morning and evening.

Is it a Manual? Because if its automatic there is no way that is possible. Ive used three ES1's over time and the automatics will do a maximum of 8KM/l in mixed cycle urban traffic... Average is about 7.5

• 5 years later...
QUOTE (abramoon @ Jun 30 2009, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks...I will meet him when I visit for next service.

bro wt meant by modrate air conditioner

i m hvng es5 does 8.5 -9 in suburbs

can i do more

how can i pass 10km/ltr can u let me knw

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, rajithanw said:

You cant compare es5 with es1/8

Welcome to the forum!

Noticed that you bumped up a few old threads just to make comments about them. Please be mindful of when the thread was last active before responding (date on the most recent post). For instance, this thread has been inactive for nearly 2 years. However, you may use existing threads to discuss new matters. Appreciate you searching and reading up existing content though. Thanks and hope you find the forum useful. :)