• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Law Abiding Police Officers

Muditha420

i was fined for crossing a single white line <_<

but only few mins later i saw this

i wonder what this law abiding police officer is doing then hmmm? :rolleyes:

image003azo.th.jpg

Realities of life brother!! You really can't fight the system, one can only roll with it.... and its not like it doesn't work in our favour now and then; for example when you get busted for speeding and get a way with a nominal 'donation' to the police welfare society lol !!

P.s In this picture YOUR wheels are over the double white line too!!! :D

Edited by Kavvz

look at this way, they can't stop you for speeding.. so just make sure you stay within the lines and you can go as fast as you want.

True, As they can't stop us now for speeding they are looking at each and every way to stop the motorists for their 'income'.

The worse type is V*P back-up police vehicles.Few weeks back one speeding jeep on wrong side of the road killed a pedestrian on a zebra crossing right infronta my eyes.still its kinda shocking thing to me.As said ..land like no other.

MINIACE

to be fair, police vehicles, ambulances and fire trucks "attending to emergencies" have the right to cross the meadian, drive on the wrong side, jump red lights and not give way at R/A s or intersections, provided they do it within valid reason and not endangering the public.

however, that rusty police pick-up was not attending to an emergency it seems

as ACE pointed out, I also find the V*P convoys quite annoying and sometimes hilarious! OK there are a few VIPs whose life is in danger by default of the positions they hold, thus would justify a convoy. But those ordinary MPs and Ministers making a big A$$ of themselves with a convoy circus! c'mon gimme a break!

for heaven's sake we are a poor country whose MPs are blokes of general poublic who are elected by public vote

Hey what do you mean they can't stop for speeding anymore?

the story is that the supreme court intervened and got the speed guns out of action...

something to do with speeds to displayed properly on roads i think...

Hey what do you mean they can't stop for speeding anymore?

Cos there is a court order saying not to use the speed detecting rador guns until further notice. And the cops don't use them for more than six months now.

You mean there's something such as a law-abiding cop in Sri Lanka?? Phew! Imagine that.

On the white line crossing thing- i'd like to get a copy of the road rules of SL, as what i've heard about single white line crossing is legal if only two wheels cross (on one side of the car, of course). Would be interesting to keep a copy in the car should this ever become a moot point...

i was schooled on the single white line by a cop recently. Apparently it it allowed to cut the single line if you are turning off the road.

correcto!!!!

You can only cross the single line to turn off the road, where as you cant cross the double line under any circumstances!

correcto!!!!

You can only cross the single line to turn off the road, where as you cant cross the double line under any circumstances!

you can cross the double line only at one instance... rather you can break any of these laws :rolleyes: to avoid an accident... now I know what you'll are thinking :angry-smiley-048:

You mean there's something such as a law-abiding cop in Sri Lanka?? Phew! Imagine that.

On the white line crossing thing- i'd like to get a copy of the road rules of SL, as what i've heard about single white line crossing is legal if only two wheels cross (on one side of the car, of course). Would be interesting to keep a copy in the car should this ever become a moot point...

hey are you sure about this dude?... :unsure:

the story is that the supreme court intervened and got the speed guns out of action...

something to do with speeds to displayed properly on roads i think...

as I heard the court ruling was due to a combination of issues, including lack of proper sign-posting with speed limits on the roads and the accuracy of radar guns. it appears that someone proved to court that while the gun may give accurate readings while being held static, should it be moved forwards or backwards while taking the reading, the result could be altered. Now have you ever imagined why the cop had a higher reading in his gun while you were sure of doing under the speed limit?

as for the sign posting, well it is next to non-existant in SL isn't it? once I was stopped by two traffic cops hiding behind a bush down south, who was quite happy to show me a reading of 70km/h on his radar - this was way before the court ruling of course. I asked what's wrong as the speed limit was 72. Cop says 'no this is town zone so limit is 56'. I ask where did the town zone start. cop says 1km ago. I say there was no sign post stating that it is town zone, or the speed limit was 56 for that matter. cop says you should know even if there was no post. I say am I supposed to know all the town zones on all roads all over sri lanka? cop ask are you trying to teach me the law? I say you can write a fine if you want, but I will drive back with my camcoder on and will make a video evidence that there was no sign post and would bring it to court. cops then checks my revenue licence, insurance, DL, passport, nat ID card, copy of car registration book, the goods in the boot and even checks the engine and chassey numbers and as nothing wrong could be found, visibly quite annoyed, drops all my papers on the passenger seat and starts pointing their precious "gun" at the next potential victim!!

hey are you sure about this dude?... :unsure:

Not sure at all- hence the need to find a road rules book. Calls into question what the difference is between the double white line and the single white line.

Does it mean that a double white line means you can't cross, even to turn off, or avoid an accident??? Dumb question, but it is probably worth knowing the difference...

as I heard the court ruling was due to a combination of issues, including lack of proper sign-posting with speed limits on the roads and the accuracy of radar guns. it appears that someone proved to court that while the gun may give accurate readings while being held static, should it be moved forwards or backwards while taking the reading, the result could be altered. Now have you ever imagined why the cop had a higher reading in his gun while you were sure of doing under the speed limit?

as for the sign posting, well it is next to non-existant in SL isn't it? once I was stopped by two traffic cops hiding behind a bush down south, who was quite happy to show me a reading of 70km/h on his radar - this was way before the court ruling of course. I asked what's wrong as the speed limit was 72. Cop says 'no this is town zone so limit is 56'. I ask where did the town zone start. cop says 1km ago. I say there was no sign post stating that it is town zone, or the speed limit was 56 for that matter. cop says you should know even if there was no post. I say am I supposed to know all the town zones on all roads all over sri lanka? cop ask are you trying to teach me the law? I say you can write a fine if you want, but I will drive back with my camcoder on and will make a video evidence that there was no sign post and would bring it to court. cops then checks my revenue licence, insurance, DL, passport, nat ID card, copy of car registration book, the goods in the boot and even checks the engine and chassey numbers and as nothing wrong could be found, visibly quite annoyed, drops all my papers on the passenger seat and starts pointing their precious "gun" at the next potential victim!!

lol, good one dude. Over here they need to have a sign before the actual sign saying the speed limit is going to be reduced ahead so people have time to reduce speed 'cos there's no freaking way people can slam on the brakes as soon as they pass a sign with a lower limit.

Not sure at all- hence the need to find a road rules book. Calls into question what the difference is between the double white line and the single white line.

Does it mean that a double white line means you can't cross, even to turn off, or avoid an accident??? Dumb question, but it is probably worth knowing the difference...

I think I've given the answer in my previous post, you can cut single line only to turn, and the double line you can't cut across at all. However you can overrule it provided that you're preventing an accident, as you asked right, to avoid and accident you can cut even the double white line, simply preventing and accident should be the first priority then road commands and rules.

Guys i knw i crossed the lines but the thing is this :D ... my farther is a Army officer we got caught behind a slow movin 3wheeler tired of waitin i passed him...then got caught to the police...

The police officer had insulted my father when he produced identification who he is & the officer has told "meya baba paat danawane kiyala"... u can imagine hw my father got pissed off with this guy...later we reported this officer to a DIG or sumone and we were told there was no one by that name or number (police badge) at present workin in that area???? so maybe an imposter pinching money...u all be the gudge :rolleyes:

after several kilometers this police cab passed us and low n behold he started off slow but after gettin stuck behind a bus...well the pictures show what happen next...my father gave me the go ahead and follow the cab...so ur luking at a hot pursuit around 80kph :angry-smiley-048: and sent the pics to the above DIG

all in all we dont even knw we are being niked by police or impostors in my book there are a bunch of "SOB" :violent-smiley-030:

Guys i knw i crossed the lines but the thing is this :D ... my farther is a Army officer we got caught behind a slow movin 3wheeler tired of waitin i passed him...then got caught to the police...

The police officer had insulted my father when he produced identification who he is & the officer has told "meya baba paat danawane kiyala"... u can imagine hw my father got pissed off with this guy...later we reported this officer to a DIG or sumone and we were told there was no one by that name or number (police badge) at present workin in that area???? so maybe an imposter pinching money...u all be the gudge :rolleyes:

after several kilometers this police cab passed us and low n behold he started off slow but after gettin stuck behind a bus...well the pictures show what happen next...my father gave me the go ahead and follow the cab...so ur luking at a hot pursuit around 80kph :angry-smiley-048: and sent the pics to the above DIG

all in all we dont even knw we are being niked by police or impostors in my book there are a bunch of "SOB" :violent-smiley-030:

well, I'm with the traffic cop on producing your fathers identity as an excuse for breaking road rules, but if the cop was alone and if he wasn't on the complete uniform then it's an indication that the cop is up to "something".

However on the road every one should obey road rules and any person behind the steering wheels is only another driver who bound to adhere to law of motor traffic. That's how I treat even if I come across my boss on the road, just another driver :rolleyes:

well, I'm with the traffic cop on producing your fathers identity as an excuse for breaking road rules, but if the cop was alone and if he wasn't on the complete uniform then it's an indication that the cop is up to "something".

However on the road every one should obey road rules and any person behind the steering wheels is only another driver who bound to adhere to law of motor traffic. That's how I treat even if I come across my boss on the road, just another driver :rolleyes:

i agree with your viewpoint a 100%... a guy runover and killed by a V*P convoy or a military officer is gonna be just as dead as someone whos is killed run over by you me to a three-wheeler...

But like you said you cant expect to get special treatment based on who you are. At the same time, the cop trying to make a quick-buck needs to be set right too.... so i find it a bit hard picking sides in this :unsure:

but i guess if boils down the simple question of 'did you commit a traffic offense'