• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Throttle Body

maikk99

Hi All

I have a toyota 122 (luxel with 1.8 engine). I went to get a engine tune up at agents since i am to face the smoke test soon. They told me that the throttle body of the car is damaged due to water supply and it is corroded. So they try to find a part .Since the engine is 1ZZ-FE (which is not the type for typical 121s) the throttle body replacement could not be found.so they have done a bypass to the water supply and gave me the car . and the only option is to oder and bring down a part which is costing nearly Rs 110,000/-

So I said i ll look for a recondition one and get that replace

Do any one of you have an idea where i can find a throttle body for that or do u have undergone a similar case and if so how did u overcome ?

pls help

thanks

mike

my god.. if the thorrtle body was that badly damaged i dont think u will not have drivability symtopms... are u sure about this. .. i say get a second opinion from a reputed garage.. its baffels me how water damage caused this too... there is something wrong somewhere.. so before u go finding parts u should get that second opinion as to what excatly happened..

and i dont know if u know this... but thats one mean engine u have there just look at the standard specs.. i assume its VVTi.... and for a corrola to share the same engine has a celica and some others.... u are a lucky guy..

Engine 1.8L four EFI DOHC with VVT-i

Horsepower 140 HP@6400RPMs

Torque 125lb/ft@4200RPMs

Bore 3.11in

Stroke 3.61in

Compression ratio 10.0:1

Models with this engine: ST230: 2000-current Celica

2000-current MR-S Spyder

1998-2000 Corolla (nonVVT-i)

2000-current Corolla (w/VVT-i)

Edited by charitha19

Hi All

I have a toyota 122 (luxel with 1.8 engine). I went to get a engine tune up at agents since i am to face the smoke test soon. They told me that the throttle body of the car is damaged due to water supply and it is corroded. So they try to find a part .Since the engine is 1ZZ-FE (which is not the type for typical 121s) the throttle body replacement could not be found.so they have done a bypass to the water supply and gave me the car . and the only option is to oder and bring down a part which is costing nearly Rs 110,000/-

So I said i ll look for a recondition one and get that replace

Do any one of you have an idea where i can find a throttle body for that or do u have undergone a similar case and if so how did u overcome ?

pls help

thanks

mike

check with the usual places like Euro nippon Wadduwa, Wikasitha @ Homagama.. Wijerama.. etc.. This engine is the same engine which comes with Allion A18 as well..

Edited by Ruslan

GASPPPPP!!! the "Toyota agent" couldnt fix it!! OMG! is it the collapse of the motor-industry in Sri Lanka.... hahahhaaa!

But out of jokes, if its rusted beyond salvation replacing it probably wont be the solution. and its a bit hard to beleive something rusting like this insode the engine bay.....

my god.. if the thorrtle body was that badly damaged i dont think u will not have drivability symtopms... are u sure about this. .. i say get a second opinion from a reputed garage.. its baffels me how water damage caused this too... there is something wrong somewhere.. so before u go finding parts u should get that second opinion as to what excatly happened..

and i dont know if u know this... but thats one mean engine u have there just look at the standard specs.. i assume its VVTi.... and for a corrola to share the same engine has a celica and some others.... u are a lucky guy..

Engine 1.8L four EFI DOHC with VVT-i

Horsepower 140 HP@6400RPMs

Torque 125lb/ft@4200RPMs

Bore 3.11in

Stroke 3.61in

Compression ratio 10.0:1

Models with this engine: ST230: 2000-current Celica

2000-current MR-S Spyder

1998-2000 Corolla (nonVVT-i)

2000-current Corolla (w/VVT-i)

thanks for the input. Yes the engine is VVTI and following are the engine specs available ( i found on the web. So its similar to what you have put)

Code: 1ZZ-FE

Type: 4-S

DOHC

4 valves per cylinder

Bore x stroke: 79.00 mm. × 91.50 mm.

Bore / stroke ratio: 0.86

Displacement: 1794 cc 109.47 cu in

Compression: 10

Fuel system: EFi

Aspiration: Normal

Catalytic Converter: Y

Max. output: 131.8 PS (130 bph) (96.9 kW) @ 6000 rpm

Max. torque: 170 Nm (125.3 lbft) (17.3 kgm) @ 4200 rpm

Coolant: Water

Since I could not find the throttle body still im using the old one and the people at Toyota told me that they have by passed the water line ( Im confused on that). But still i get a good pull power and it does 11-12 fuel under usual conditions (in city limits)

can you suggest me a place to get a second opinion if you know any place

thanks a lot for the help dude

mike

thanks for the input. Yes the engine is VVTI and following are the engine specs available ( i found on the web. So its similar to what you have put)

Code: 1ZZ-FE

Type: 4-S

DOHC

4 valves per cylinder

Bore x stroke: 79.00 mm. × 91.50 mm.

Bore / stroke ratio: 0.86

Displacement: 1794 cc 109.47 cu in

Compression: 10

Fuel system: EFi

Aspiration: Normal

Catalytic Converter: Y

Max. output: 131.8 PS (130 bph) (96.9 kW) @ 6000 rpm

Max. torque: 170 Nm (125.3 lbft) (17.3 kgm) @ 4200 rpm

Coolant: Water

Since I could not find the throttle body still im using the old one and the people at Toyota told me that they have by passed the water line ( Im confused on that). But still i get a good pull power and it does 11-12 fuel under usual conditions (in city limits)

can you suggest me a place to get a second opinion if you know any place

thanks a lot for the help dude

mike

Something smells here. This is the first time I have heard of such issues in a recent model vehicle. First off all, did they show you the problem? I think as someone said, you will need a second opinion because Toyota Lanka has not been the greatest agents since of late.

Contact me on my PM.

GASPPPPP!!! the "Toyota agent" couldnt fix it!! OMG! is it the collapse of the motor-industry in Sri Lanka.... hahahhaaa!

maybe it's changing times.... perhaps a strategic initiative from our far thinking law makers to ensure a level playing field for all.... :D

Something smells here. This is the first time I have heard of such issues in a recent model vehicle. First off all, did they show you the problem? I think as someone said, you will need a second opinion because Toyota Lanka has not been the greatest agents since of late.

Contact me on my PM.

yep... agree on this since they sorta mis diagnose an electrical/electronics issue on my car as well...

after spending time at the workshop against their rules i've realized that their "expertise" is somewhat questionable...

get a second opinion! I'm sure folks here can give you a few places to take your car to and possible get better info on the exact issue!

Keep us posted mate and good luck! :)

Contact me on my PM.

Hi VVT-i

I dont have the rights for PM in this forum. I guess. pls let me know a chat id ,phone number or a email address

rgds

mike

But out of jokes, if its rusted beyond salvation replacing it probably wont be the solution. and its a bit hard to beleive something rusting like this insode the engine bay.....

Hahaha Nilantha....Where are you boy

• 1 month later...
yep... agree on this since they sorta mis diagnose an electrical/electronics issue on my car as well...

after spending time at the workshop against their rules i've realized that their "expertise" is somewhat questionable...

get a second opinion! I'm sure folks here can give you a few places to take your car to and possible get better info on the exact issue!

Keep us posted mate and good luck! :)

Hi

still my throttle body is not changed . but went for the vehicle emission test and got passed. So i seriously doubt about the agent's recommendations bcos they told me that know way u can get thru the vehicle emission test with a faulty throttle body

Or may be the emission test equipments are faulty

rgds

mike

Hi

still my throttle body is not changed . but went for the vehicle emission test and got passed. So i seriously doubt about the agent's recommendations bcos they told me that know way u can get thru the vehicle emission test with a faulty throttle body

rgds

mike

Man... Dont go for throttle body replacement. Even if its damaged beyond repair, you can buy a 1.8 whole engine for less than 150,000. And your throttle should be perfectly ok but better get a second opinion.

Edited by Corolla121

Hi

rgds

mike

ahh...i've learnt through first ha experience to not give a toss about what those "experts" say if it beats common sense :D

when i was at toyota getting my car fixed once, a lead tec of theirs said that and auto tranny ecu wont work on a manual tranny car like mine...

i've had an ecu going dead on me and the closest match i could find was off an auto tranny car...

The ECU i had on the car that was bust was a 3 point auto and manual so i told toyota folks to fix it the car and see... and the bloody thing worked like a charm...

so if it bothers you a bit and common sense say otherwise...always get a second opinion over agents recommendations...

toyota did fix my car properly but forgot to close the damn oil cap on the motor... luckily the drive from the agent to my place is quite short but i ended up going home with oil all over my motor :violent-smiley-099: you can't really count on those guys!!!

at least that has been my experience so far!

and on emissions...SL standards are kept low so most cars do get through :) you can get the numbers and compare with another car of the same spec and see if their a huge difference...

most of the newer cars are shockingly clean and beat the local set standards very very easily...

Devinda might be able to shed more light on numbers since the man is hooked on those figures :D :D

Edited by Ripper

Hi

rgds

mike

can u explain more abt what is the damage hapend to TB ? as i know the water line is there to bring the TB temp up on cold starts and maintain it at the same tepm, if ur TB water inlet or outlet pipes are damaged u can bypass the waterline and use the car without any issue, damged TB and emission are two different things, even a car with damage cat will pass this green test

Hi,

I agree with gihan, the coolant running past the throttle body is actually not needed in SL due to the very high average temperatures. Air drawn through a venturi will get cold so throttle body icing is possible in a country where a very cold air temperature is present, like Japan, Northern USA, UK,Northern Europe etc. In SL this is very un likely to cause a problem even on a very cold day in Nuwara Eliya it stii is above freezing! So a by passed coolant line at the throttle body has little significance and absolutely no bearing on a emmision test done on a stationary vehicle in Colombo where under bonnet temperatures must be horrendous-more in need of a charge cooler than heat in the inlet air pipes.

Maithri.

• 3 weeks later...

hey mike99, did you find a solution for your TB problem? i ran into the same prob with my car (Which is the same model) as well. but figure out that it isn't the Throttle body but the IAC (Idle Air controller) gasket. for the moment simple bypass would do (Since the throttle body doesn't get Iced up in SL like maithri said). but I'm gonna soon replace the gasket. don't buy they're claim saying throttle body could get corroded, cos most of these parts are Alloys. they simply trying to make a buck out of you for sure.

IAC location (bottom part of the throttle body)

iacmethoda.gif

IAC Removed

iac.gif

IAC top side with the Gasket (Throttle body side)

iac2.gif

Edited by Ruslan

Dear Ruslan

Thanks for the info. and after you pointed out i also examined. its true. the part connecting the water supply are de mountable meaning they can be replaced. good that there are forum like this for people to share and also there are people who shares their expereinces .

pls keep us posted. by the way can i know a email address/phone number of yours (since you have the same car model)

thanks

mike

hey mike99, did you find a solution for your TB problem? i ran into the same prob with my car (Which is the same model) as well. but figure out that it isn't the Throttle body but the IAC (Idle Air controller) gasket. for the moment simple bypass would do (Since the throttle body doesn't get Iced up in SL like maithri said). but I'm gonna soon replace the gasket. don't buy they're claim saying throttle body could get corroded, cos most of these parts are Alloys. they simply trying to make a buck out of you for sure.

IAC location (bottom part of the throttle body)

iacmethoda.gif

IAC Removed

iac.gif

IAC top side with the Gasket (Throttle body side)

iac2.gif

mike99,

dhinukshaatgmaildotcom that's my e-mail address. if you replacing IAC gasket then your gonna need to remove Throttle Body as well. so you need to replace throttle body gasket too (you might be able to re-use this Gasket with Gasket sealant if it's not damaged during removal). Agents might have these. or else try to source somewhere else (Panchikawatte, MM Organization) here's the part numbers for the Gaskets. (Courtesy toyodiy.com)

Gasket, Throttle Body: 22271-22040

throttlegasket.jpg

Gasket, Throttle Body (IAC Gasket) Cover: 22215-7A680

throttlegasketcover.jpg

Note: IAC Gasket (22215-7A680) is common with any corolla(121) manufactured after year 2001 so it should be available without a problem.

Edited by Ruslan

Check with the agents, but out of stock it seems. they said that it'll gonna take at least 1 month to get down the parts. anyway I'm gonna check outside sources as well. price is around 1000/- for both parts.