• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vw Golf

kotte mafia

hey guys my firend is going to buy himself a VW golf 2006 model or a brand new 2008 model due to the introduction of the 2009 medel the 2008 has gone low in market value and thankz to AL i have become a good advisor to the community on car spec's and this dood came out to me in need of help so any one owns a VW golf over here specially a GTi version if so please let me know the pros and cons of a VW golf cos it will be a great help for my friend who has no idea on cars ....

the VW scirocco is not a bad option to think about also but lets come to that after talking abt the golf ...

Edited by kotte mafia

there is just one new generation Golf GTI in Colombo & that was last seen sitting at the Agents (Senok) Showroom in Kolpetty last i checked... :mellow:

but there is someone who was able to wrangle a drive of that here on our forums, so he may be able to give you some first hand info/input

there is just one new generation Golf GTI in Colombo & that was last seen sitting at the Agents (Senok) Showroom in Kolpetty last i checked... :mellow:

but there is someone who was able to wrangle a drive of that here on our forums, so he may be able to give you some first hand info/input

Red? Saw a new Golf with a GTi badge at Cinnamon Grand last week. Is the GTi 4 door? Coz this car seemed to have 4 so I'm not really sure.

Red? Saw a new Golf with a GTi badge at Cinnamon Grand last week. Is the GTi 4 door? Coz this car seemed to have 4 so I'm not really sure.

Nope 2 door. Probably the one you saw was a 4 door with just a GTi badge on it.

Actually guys, i think the new golf CAN be had as a 4 door GTi, the road test done by the motor mag some time ago of a gti was indeed of a 4 door.... As far as i know, the GTI has been available as a 4 door since the Mk3 Golf.

the VW scirocco is not a bad option to think about also but lets come to that after talking abt the golf ...

wow...go for it dude if you can...one of my friends' friend has a 2ltr tdi and the bugger is always raving about it

no no there's at least two here

Nope 2 door. Probably the one you saw was a 4 door with just a GTi badge on it.

there are 4 door versions as well

hey guys my firend is going to buy himself a VW golf 2006 model or a brand new 2008 model due to the introduction of the 2009 medel the 2008 has gone low in market value and thankz to AL i have become a good advisor to the community on car spec's and this dood came out to me in need of help so any one owns a VW golf over here specially a GTi version if so please let me know the pros and cons of a VW golf cos it will be a great help for my friend who has no idea on cars ....

I drove from London to Edinburgh (Scotland) and back in a 2008 1.9 TDi manual around August last year. Amazing power, great handling and superb fuel economy (18-20km/l on the motorway for sure). Felt like a mid sized euro car and stable at high speeds on the motorway. Considering a mix of economy, re-sale and pleasure to drive (the torque figures) the TDi would be the best by unless your friend is looking for sheer performance.

Edited by milindu

scriocco FTW!!! :D

a friend of mine bought a 2.0 tsi in white. turns more heads than a ferrari. one of the most solid cars i've ever been in. its a strict 4 seater but even my mercinary type mate gets in the back with no complaints. if i'm right its got about 240 bhp. goes like the clappers. sounds awesome too. i'd have it over the drab golf any day.

Supra N is right and the one here IS a 5 door variant with the DSG box. Fantastic drive. One of the best I've drive. Docile family car one moment and near super car performance the next. The one in the show room is now sold and running in the Kotte Thalawathugoda area. Not me :lol: But wish it was :)

The prices must have dropped overseas coz the new one is just launched. Supposedly even more refined that the Mk5. So your pal might get a great deal on the run-out Mk5. Ask him to take the DSG option. Its the future.

Supra N is right and the one here IS a 5 door variant with the DSG box. Fantastic drive. One of the best I've drive. Docile family car one moment and near super car performance the next. The one in the show room is now sold and running in the Kotte Thalawathugoda area. Not me :lol: But wish it was :)

There's the option if the M3 sedan doesn't work out Max ;):D

it seems like the VW is all good with no bullshit ..... :jumping-smiley-013: how about the maintence cost heard theres some electronic problems and by the way people there is a 4 door GTi version too a nice family car to a turner who loves to blast through the empty roads now and then ... and what is DSG by the way ...? and people whats the difference between the TDI engine and the TSI and by the way i guess theres a Type R version released of the scirocco ....with a 250Bhp ..guess no need to tuen up or mod that car for a while ....

Edited by kotte mafia

finally went to the showrooms and checked the prices of the cars which we had in mind VW scirocco is around 40,000 $ the VW gold Gti is around 30,000 $ and the much more powerful V6 R32 model of the golf is around 38,000 $

so when we were coming back we were thinking if we are going to buy a VW it will surely be a second hand Gti for a price no more than 20,000 $ and the sctrocco is out from the list due to lack of money (damn thats a nice car and really loved the test drive) cos there's really no use of buying a second best euro sports car brand new when you have the class leader the BMW M3 second hand for the same price tag

the astra and the clio are good cars too that we were thinking about but for the lack of customer support those were dropped from our is even before we went for the hunt

it seems like the VW is all good with no bullshit ..... :jumping-smiley-013: how about the maintence cost heard theres some electronic problems and by the way people there is a 4 door GTi version too a nice family car to a turner who loves to blast through the empty roads now and then ... and what is DSG by the way ...? and people whats the difference between the TDI engine and the TSI and by the way i guess theres a Type R version released of the scirocco ....with a 250Bhp ..guess no need to tuen up or mod that car for a while ....

DSG - Direct shift Gearbox (twin clutch). Mind you there is no clutch pedal :D It's the best innovation in recent times IMHO.

This is a manual gearbox with zero lag as opposed to Tip-tronic type auto boxes. It is the future (at lest in terms of performance cars.)

TDI - Turbo Diesel Intercooler

TSI - Twin charger (Turbo and Super Charger) Petrol.

But the GTI has neither. Just a 2.0 Turbo.

I think the Scirocco you're referring to is called the 20R.

No idea about costs. Get on a few Aussie forums and check.

thankz machang for the info about the technical but if the DSG is new would the mekkas in the local places know how to fix them ... and on the other hand alot of people are not that quick to grab the newest techno gizmo when it comes to automobile cos specially the new ones always have problems on there début and it takes some time to fine tune it and when the manufacture is done with it we are broke repairing our gadget several times .... <_< but are there any other famous cars having this gear box ?

guess there's TSI for of the golf V6 R32 never really focused on that part much cos our eyes were firmly stuck on the price tags not on the specs. after all the specs come after the price when ur trying to buy a car after braking your piggy bank

i think thats called the 20R but over here we call it the scirocco R its a killer car too bad we have very few running on the road still

prices can differ if your consulting a gray importer but these were the showroom prices from the agent

Hi Guys,

VW's my special subject! I own a Golf GTI and used to work for a Main dealer (Agent). Yes I have driven the V6 4 motion MK4 The R 32 and everything in between the 1.4 and the R32.

I have no special favourite but the R 32 is a car I would love to own.

The 180BHP diesels are awsome and at 50 + miles to a gallon when driven normally and lots of power when needed they are great practical and fun cars that can cause some great upsets in the traffic light grand prix's.

The so called pedestrian 115BHP versions with the PD engine can be easily chipped to get in excess of 130 BHP without any external evidence.

But where are you going to drive any of these in Sri Lanka? Milindu is right he tested one here in the UK and enjoyed it, Hi Milindu hope to meet up next when you are in the UK.

How ever the latest Audi A3 with the 2.0 liter PD engine is to me a far better buy, I drove one last year nd the car feels better built than a VW.

These cars are as reliable as you can get, with cutting edge technology not found in Jap cars, No I am not dis respecting SL's beloved Jap imports but when it comes to diesels the Japanese are still in the Stone age compared to some European Makes.

So have no fear buy the best your money will get you and avoid the low powered 1.4's and the 1.6's. You need a minimum of 1.8 with a turbo preferably to call it performance ot a diesel with 130+ BHP.

Good Luck

Maithri.