• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Slim Type Sub Woofers

Question

Dear members,

Just thinking of fixing a sub woofer into my car. I found few brands of slim type sub woofers available in Colombo. The bass punch may not be as good as a big box type. Is there any one who has fixed a slim type sub woofer - which usually goes under the front seats. What is a good brand that gives out the best sound available in here for a reasonable price. I do not want to use any boot space for subs.

17 answers to this question

Dear members,

Just thinking of fixing a sub woofer into my car. I found few brands of slim type sub woofers available in Colombo. The bass punch may not be as good as a big box type. Is there any one who has fixed a slim type sub woofer - which usually goes under the front seats. What is a good brand that gives out the best sound available in here for a reasonable price. I do not want to use any boot space for subs.

I have the Slim Underseat Sub from fixed in my Car. Works fine. Unless you want to bust the ears of the passengers in the car next to you, this works fine. Girls love the front seat since of late anyway... :) I give them the control knob to adjust according to their pleasure. :))

You save up on the boot space definitely.

Can't remember the Brand, but if you go to the 'usual' place near the Polhengoda Color lights, they will have something for you.

Dear members,

well mate...a good set of rear 6x8's too can give some decent bass! And IMHO the slim types are no where near proper full excursion subs :)

i'd say the best bet is to go and checkout one of those big name car sound guys and get their recommendation...

both petc* and advance are good as far as i know :)

well mate...a good set of rear 6x8's too can give some decent bass! And IMHO the slim types are no where near proper full excursion subs :)

i'd say the best bet is to go and checkout one of those big name car sound guys and get their recommendation...

both petc* and advance are good as far as i know :)

I have a SUV now and unfortunately it has no space for 6x9. It has four 6 1/2 full range speakers fixed to the four doors. I went to petc*** but I did not get to listen to the subs they have. The SteelMate (you know where) slim sub was very poor in sound quality. All I want is to hear as much as possible frequencies in the music without turning the volume too high.

I have the Slim Underseat Sub from fixed in my Car. Works fine. Unless you want to bust the ears of the passengers in the car next to you, this works fine. Girls love the front seat since of late anyway... :) I give them the control knob to adjust according to their pleasure. :))

ROTFL :lol: VVTI you kinky cad! :P

hmmm how much did u say that contraption costs - just outta sheer curiosity? :huh::D

i was contemplating retrimming the interior , but this might be a better long term investment if your not exaggerating... :lol:

ROTFL :lol: VVTI you kinky cad! :P

hmmm how much did u say that contraption costs - just outta sheer curiosity? :huh::D

i was contemplating retrimming the interior , but this might be a better long term investment if your not exaggerating... :lol:

ha ha ha! Its true !

Some girls have commented that at full blast playing a bit of DJ Tiesto's Traffic it gives a nice.... what can I say... a buzz in the nether regions!!!

I got it for around 28k installed. Its powered directly through the Battery. Took some work as they had to pull the power cable through the AC hose vents, under the carpet, etc etc. The control knob I have jammed between the front seat the center console for 'discrete' adjustment.. :))

Well, The bass is good for my requirements. The P11 has the A Pillar tweeters 2 x 6.5" on the doors and another 2 x 6.5" in the rear parcel Tray. Serves the purpose.

One down side is the seat cannot be adjusted as freely as it used to be and you have to be careful when you take it to a CarWAsh place as those buggers push hard when the feel some resistance. Hence I am around when they start vacuuming the car.

PM me if you wanna see, hear and 'feel'... ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

ha ha ha! Its true !

Some girls have commented that at full blast playing a bit of DJ Tiesto's Traffic it gives a nice.... what can I say... a buzz in the nether regions!!!

I got it for around 28k installed. Its powered directly through the Battery. Took some work as they had to pull the power cable through the AC hose vents, under the carpet, etc etc. The control knob I have jammed between the front seat the center console for 'discrete' adjustment.. :))

Well, The bass is good for my requirements. The P11 has the A Pillar tweeters 2 x 6.5" on the doors and another 2 x 6.5" in the rear parcel Tray. Serves the purpose.

One down side is the seat cannot be adjusted as freely as it used to be and you have to be careful when you take it to a CarWAsh place as those buggers push hard when the feel some resistance. Hence I am around when they start vacuuming the car.

PM me if you wanna see, hear and 'feel'... ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

:lol: i'll limit myself for an aural demo of that ICE system thank you!

where you find your front seat passengers is probably going to be more interesting to hear i recon :)

So I'm reviving a very old thread cuz I dont want to create a new one.

I planning to invest in an active/under seat sub woofer. I have couple of models in mind, but I need some help choosing the right one.

JVC CW-DRA8

Image result for JVC CW-DRA8

• 8" shallow-profile woofer
  • 150 watt RMS Class D amplifier (250 watts peak)
  • low-pass crossover variable from 50-125 Hz
  • frequency response: 35-150 Hz
  • Class D Amplifier 
  • Sound Pressure Level    81dB

http://au.jvc.com/car/subwoofers/cw_dra8/

CARROZZERIA TS-WX120A

Image result for CARROZZERIA TS-WX120A

• Max. Music Power (Nominal) 150 W (50 W)
  • Class D amplifier
  • Frequency Response 30 - 160 Hz
  • Sensitivity (IN CAR, INPUT: 1W) 98 dB
  • Cone Composition Aluminum
  • Surround Composition Rubber

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Subwoofers/Powered+Subwoofer/TS-WX120A#specs

Pioneer TS-WX130DA

Pioneer TS-WX130DA Front

• Built-in amplifier: 50 watts RMS (160 watts peak)
  • Wired remote for control over: gain, low-pass filter selectable phase control (0°, 180°)
  • Bass Mode settings: Deep: 20 to 200 Hz frequency response, 95 dB sensitivity, Dynamic: 40 to 160 Hz frequency response, 100 dB sensitivity
  • Dimensions: 11-1/8"W x 2-3/4"H x 8"D
  • Cone Composition: Aluminum
  • Surround Composition: Urethane
  • Frequency Response DEEP: 20Hz to 200Hz / DYNAMIC: 40Hz to 160Hz
  • Sensitivity (IN CAR, INPUT: 1W) DEEP: 95dB / DYNAMIC: 100dB

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Subwoofers/Powered+Subwoofer/TS-WX130DA

Blaupunkt GTr100A

Upgrading your audio made easy

Subwoofer

• Max. Output Power : 160W
  • Speaker Size : 214.5mm x 135.0mm
  • Cone Composition : Aluminium
  • Magnet Type : Ferrite
  • Wired Remoted : Included
  • Enclosure Housing Material : Aluminium Die-cast Sealed
  • Enclosure Dimension (mm) : 280 (W) x 200 (D) x 72 (H)
  • Enclosure Net Weight : 3.7kg

Amplifier

• Amplifier Technology : Class AB
  • Normal Output Power (RMS) : 100W
  • Max. Output Power : 160W
  • Sensitivity (In Car/1W) : 92dB
  • Signal / Noise Ratio (dB) : 91dB
  • Impedance : 2.2 +2.2 ohms
  • Frequency Response : 40Hz – 150Hz
  • Low Pass Filter (LPF) : 50Hz – 100hz
  • Voltage : 14.4 (10V – 16V)
  • Phase Switch : 0 deg / 180 deg
  • Automatic On/Off (Hi & Lo) : High Level Only
  • Audio in Sensitivity : Speaker Input (0.8V) / RCA Input (82mV)

Accessories

• Remote Controller : Wired Remote
  • DC Cord : 5.0meters
  • Screws (Parker-Type) : 5 x 15mm
  • Screws (M-Type) : 4 x 8mm
  • 2 x Mounting Bracket A : 72mm x 40mm

https://www.blaupunkt.com/ase/nc/products/in-car-entertainment/active-subwoofer/products/single/15170/

So this is what I have learnt about these four active subs.

1. The JVC produces the highest RMS and max watts(150w/250w), followed by the Blaupunkt (100w/160w), then the Pioneer (50w/160w) and finally the Carrozzeria (50w/150w)
  2. Blaupunkt is the only amp here which uses a class AB amp while the rest use class D, so I assume the Blaupunkt is inferior to others in that aspect
  3. The Pioneer has a bass control system where the user can choose between deep and dynamic, which I believe alters the kind of bass produced. other subs dont offer this or any similar feature
  4. The Pioneer also has the lowest frequency response(20hz in deep bass mode), followed by Carrozzeria(30hz), then JVC(35hz) and Finally Blaupunkt with 40hz
  5. A simple search for active subwoofer on Youtube mostly brings up the Pioneer sub, so this must be the most popular model from the list?
  6. The Pioneer has the highest sensitivity (100 Db/95 dB), closely followed by the Carrozzeria(98 dB), the Blaupunkt comes 3rd(92 dB), while JVC is bit off from the others with 81 dB 
  7. JVC is the most expensive out of the 4, followed by the Carrozzeria and the price of Pioneer and Blaupunkt are almost identical

Edited by Magnum

2 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

Aint nothing like the real thing,  !

I know these won’t produce bass anywhere near the bass you get from traditional subwoofer. I’m not after big bass which can be heard from outside the vehicle. I just want to add bit more low frequency bass to my current set up.

1 hour ago, Magnum said:

I know these won’t produce bass anywhere near the bass you get from traditional subwoofer. I’m not after big bass which can be heard from outside the vehicle. I just want to add bit more low frequency bass to my current set up.

How much do these cost? 

9 hours ago, Magnum said:

Around 22kk to 27k

I’ve seen some as low as 8500 to 16k brand new, probably duplicates innit

On 7/2/2019 at 2:28 AM, tiv said:

I’ve seen some as low as 8500 to 16k brand new, probably duplicates innit

Those must be Chinese knock offs. I'll be getting one from Australia, the prices in SL maybe different

On 7/4/2019 at 5:41 AM, Magnum said:

Those must be Chinese knock offs. I'll be getting one from Australia, the prices in SL maybe different

What is your final selection bro. Is it Pioneer TS-WX130DA?? And how do you gonna install it. By yourself or planing to go to some place. 

4 hours ago, W33R said:

What is your final selection bro. Is it Pioneer TS-WX130DA?? And how do you gonna install it. By yourself or planing to go to some place. 

I actually dropped this idea, as  active under seat subs wont make sense on a big vehicle as a Hiace, but if you are going down this route the Pioneer would be ideal choice

• Like 1