• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What Is Happening With The Fighting In The Ne?

Mani

OK, xXx and GFX, very disappointed. xXx, uncalled for. GFX, control yourself man! Keep the personal attacks out. There is enough of a war in this country without a war in the forum. Meet for a coffee and sort it out. You two live within a couple of kms of each other so should be able to manage that easily.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever the respond I turn out ,its SLA biased. But IMHO Terra is lost 90% and they are in threshold of losing the lives of hierarchy. What would they do?

Burry few anti tank mines (they got plenty), blow them off create craters. Mind you there is no difference you find in a SAT image between an Arty and an anti tank crater.

See how close the two craters I circled. I have never seen two Arty falling that close in my whole life.

Note all craters you find are on soft sand and not within shrubs. Strange isn't it?

Why the GoSL is not taking this class of tactical points up. Simply because individuals who sit behind press mikes are just political idiots.

We have the best three Defence forces commander blend ever and the worse defence spokesmen combination. They are good to read a piece of paper and cant be expecting anything more. Sad.

45725462srilankasatany4.gif

MINIACE

Whatever the respond I turn out ,its SLA biased. But IMHO Terra is lost 90% and they are in threshold of losing the lives of hierarchy. What would they do?

Burry few anti tank mines (they got plenty), blow them off create craters. Mind you there is no difference you find in a SAT image between an Arty and an anti tank crater.

See how close the two craters I circled. I have never seen two Arty falling that close in my whole life.

Note all craters you find are on soft sand and not within shrubs. Strange isn't it?

Why the GoSL is not taking this class of tactical points up. Simply because individuals who sit behind press mikes are just political idiots.

We have the best three Defence forces commander blend ever and the worse defence spokesmen combination. They are good to read a piece of paper and cant be expecting anything more. Sad.

45725462srilankasatany4.gif

MINIACE

MINI pardon my ignorance, but couldnt these be just water wells and not craters created by military hardware? Check Google Earth, and you can clearly see these jutting out from various places. Just my two cents.

MINI pardon my ignorance, but couldnt these be just water wells and not craters created by military hardware? Check Google Earth, and you can clearly see these jutting out from various places. Just my two cents.

You are very correct Gummybr.Thats another possibility after mid-April rains.Another thing,not even a 152 round will create such a huge crater in soft sand.

Just check the google picture I attached.Im sure that was taken in 2006-2007 period.That time the nearest SLA arty gun was morethan 65kms away.So cant be arty craters for sure.

Why GoSL or defence spokesmen cant point this out? Sad!

mulaitivu.png

MINIACE

yes on my part the "not in the blood" thng was a bad argument and a childish example...but what i was trying to say is that those claims by channel 4 is probably exaggerated..... i seriosly do not think that those horrible accusations are true.

if you read through my recent posts in them "political threads" you'll find that our minds are quite on the same track and i agree on most of what you have said.

Hey mate. You could be right about the foreign media's take on things. I don't forget that they can always take the attitude that they are holier than us. (huh! rubbish considering the things they've done) They probably discuss the 'SL' problem over tea and biscuits thinking they are doing us a favor and that they have all the answers.

@MiniAce, you OBVIOUSLY know more than I do about what you're talking. But Palitha Kohona has admitted to this!! Huh??

Agrree on your comment that political hacks get the limelight and in doing so may create some bad publicity. The UK HC is a great example. He just made us look like fools!

@MiniAce, you OBVIOUSLY know more than I do about what you're talking. But Palitha Kohona has admitted to this!! Huh??

He did???? OMG where?? When?? Got any web link to that??? He should be shot if so? One time Keheliya exposed a top secret Special Air-ops group troubled /jeopardized lives of many comrades..Now this guy...Undermining the military victories!

MINIACE

We need to appoint someone in the government that can put two words together without sounding like a fool.

Every conflict in the world will have negative impacts and how those are reported has lot to do with how they are communicated. Propaganda war is very effective if done properly. For the time being, at least with the latest round of reports, SL forces are made to be villains.

Either we need to end this and end it quick or if they plan on dragging this along the way it has in the recent past, we need someone to counteract some of these reports whether they are true or not. At the very least do some damage control if the situation warrants it.

This story made the main page on CNN which is rare given the US attitude toward foreign countries. You know, we [the US] are the center of the universe thing.

US still have some influence in SL directly or indirectly and I don't want the government to give in to these foreign pressures and back out of what seems to be a certain victory. Regardless, whether the peace will last in SL or not, we need to address each of these issues on there own. First step being to get rid of the LTTE and make the area safe so people can go in and out without being shot at.

The area involved is such a small piece of land, we aught to be able to document, by way of aerial pictures, the condition it’s in and use said pictures to counteract any propaganda that is being crated, if any, by the LTTE.

certainly! well let me correct what i said earlier. the british government hasn't done something wrong by granting them asylum and helping them start a life here. but they were very very late compared to most other nations when imposing the ltte ban (which i cant help but think was announced rather quietly). and this was years after ltte has carried out terrorist activity in an internationally recognised level. not just that. pro-ltte activity was happening in broad daylight before the ban. i mean shouldnt the government be aware that there are terrorists roaming freely in their country collecting funds and harassing civillians? from what i feel it wouldnt have been much different if the government itself funded them. and its not like its any different now. one could argue that bringing down the members of the ltte may not be the british governments highest priority right now. but isnt it an absolute shame when ltte supporters could still roam around its capital with an ltte flag in their hands without getting arrested?

that is something i too don't understand. how a people caa show support in public to a banned organization. there must be some sort of a legal loophole.

i think the thing with the international community is that they don't consider LTTE to be an major international treat. therefore they don't give enough priority to tackle these proxy organizations within their countries.

Obama just had a press conference in which he mentioned SL conflict and refer to some of the new articles on the subject. He wasn't really blaming out government but did make the standard talking point of the plight of the civilians.

I'm with some of you who said that these so called "shelling" could be the work of someone locally to make it look as though we are shelling them. At least from the article below it is eluded to that.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090513/ap_on_...lanka_civil_war

With all due respect to OP, perhaps its time to wind up this particular conversation

What I have realized from my short stay here is that everyone in this country has already decided what they want to believe, regardless as to whether their belief is based on actual fact, propaganda, theories heard around the watercooler, or sheer imagination.

I think its a bit dangerous to discuss some of these things, here, especially with the current situation.. so I'd advice you guys to try to tone it down and stick to just posting links to reputed news sources.. the last thing we need is the all seeing powers turning an eye onto this web site and deciding they don't like it

Just my 0.02

Edited by Saturn

Nice article about the very same issue we discussed ealier

Sri Lankan Missions abroad and confronting the LTTE internationally

(Lanka-e-News 14.May.2009 6.15PM) Recently, a number of newspapers printed analyses about the effectiveness of the Sri Lankan Missions abroad before the constant pressure of the Tamil Diaspora. Some newspapers stated that as a whole the Embassies are not doing its job to the expectation of the government. The others attempted to protect political Ambassadors citing various examples to indicate they are the best, although they are useless.

In reality, the Sri Lankan Missions are not effectively supporting the government to tackle the LTTE internationally. Majority of the Missions have failed to secure support of the foreign government to stop the LTTE protests creating accurate picture of the country.

There are a number of reasons for this disastrous situation.

1. Too much Politicization of the Missions abroad.

2. Lack of coordination between the Missions and primarily the Defence Ministry.

3. Lack of vitality among the Ambassadors.

4. Missions have not been provided with specific tasks to be completed.

As a whole, in the case of the Sri Lankan Missions, in most of cases the government has not been able to appoint the right person at the right time to the right job. Unfortunately, the government believes that some lawyers who were appearing in the court to protect illegal liquor sellers or third class thugs could do a miracle in the field of diplomacy. Surprisingly, some newspapers are trying to elevate the images of such characters. It is a fact that no Sri Lankan Ambassador has been able to influence the host governments at least arrest to those who attacked their Embassies. The fundamental reason is that those Ambassadors/High Commissioners have not cultivated appropriate relations with government officers and law enforcement agencies. In contrast, as we all know many of the foreign diplomats in Sri Lanka can reach even commanders of three forces using the telephone. Many of these political appointees are above 60 years old. We all accept that once a person reaches the age of 60 his physical and mental abilities will deteriorate. Yet, the government thinks that such persons can handle sensitive matters without proper knowledge and experiences.

Other most important factor is without proper coordination between the defence Ministry and Foreign Ministry the government will not be able to confront the LTTE in the international arena. All the Missions should work in unison and have one voice on the issue of the LTTE international propaganda. We have often seen that due to some foolish statements of some Ambassadors the country looses even the friends. This happens due to two reasons. One is such Ambassadors are not oriented or guided properly. Other reason is that they wanted to become heroes. They like megaphone diplomacy rather than quite diplomacy, which is the key to diplomatic success.

We have also seen that almost all the Ambassadors lack vitality. They do things just to please the political leadership. Only very few have been working with enthusiasm. One thing is that they are not allowed to go beyond the demarcated lines.

In this context, the duty of the Foreign Ministry is to provide specific tasks to the Missions in handling the LTTE activities overseas. The common habit of the Ambassadors is to wait until instructions come from the Ministry. They do not want to initiate action of their own. The obvious reasons in they do not like to take risks thinking that they would loose the job. Unfortunately, innovation and smartness are not in the Ministry vocabulary..

Therefore, H.E. the President needs to take some action to reshape and revamp the Foreign Ministry and appoint the right person to the right job without thinking too much about the seniority and their affinity towards the political leadership. A fine example in this regard has been provided by the commander of the army. He took action to promote officers capable of handling the war without considering their seniority. Obviously, in a competitive environment even seniors become active in order to survive. Otherwise, Sri Lanka would loose the international war against the LTTE.

Small men from the Foreign Ministry

http://www.lankaenews.com/English/news.php?id=7670

the war is over people! awaiting confirmation :D

im pretty sure now some Sri lankans are not in a happy mood, bt we are wating to celebrate

Prabhakaran Captured- Final announcement by President Mahinda Rajapaksa,on Sunday morning

An unconfirmed report says Prabhakaran is captured by the Government forces at early hours today 16th May. Government is waiting for the President to return from Jordan and address the nation. Government sources said a final announcement of the rebel's defeat was due to be made by President Mahinda Rajapaksa, who is currently on a visit to Jordan and was due back in Sri Lanka Sunday morning. It is now clear that Prabhakaran is dead.The kith and kin of LTTE top leaders including VP have moved to the Army held area with forged identities. The army is now in the process of identifying them. Soosei earlier reported to have literally handed-over his family to the Navy (but reported as captured by the Navy). Some of the self-appointed LTTE Colonels, middle range leaders and regional level leaders have been surrendered to SLA . A group of self proclaimed "Government Doctors" has also turned themselves in to the forces of the 58th division. (The LankaWeb - 16/05/09

Edited by GihanFX

i'm off to the pub :D

warning to all the sri lankan expats though. please be careful when you step out as there has already been some reports of tamils attacking sri lankans

heard tamils attacking sri lankans in canada, need to go to drgs to celebrate the great victory :D

prabha has blown himself up. i doubt they'll even find his remains

let me correct that. the word is he's been shot. and apparently the body has been brought back to colombo for dna analysis.

The president will officially announce his death when he returns from jordan tomorrow.

heard tamils attacking sri lankans in canada, need to go to drgs to celebrate the great victory :D

Yeap, GihanFX there has been some acts of violence in Canada at this point though the loss is only monetary; so far no one has gotten hurt or personally victimized.

http://www.thestar.com/article/635432

I hope this means that the reverse isn't happening in Sri Lanka? Please urge friends and family to be mindful towards the safety and well-being of the Tamil community at this time. Being Tamil is not a crime and nor does it automatically associate them with the LTTE

Edited by Kavvz

I hope this means that the reverse isn't happening in Sri Lanka? Please urge friends and family to be mindful towards the safety and well-being of the Tamil community at this time. Being Tamil is not a crime and nor does it automatically associate them with the LTTE

There is no reason to atack anyone in Sri Lanka, we all sri lankans :)

There is no reason to atack anyone in Sri Lanka, we all sri lankans :)

Excellent. I just wish more people thought like you did buddy...that's exactly the attitude we need to develop the areas ravaged by the LTTE.