• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What Is Happening With The Fighting In The Ne?

Mani

I'm starting to see a lot of news reports here about the fighting in SL. Some of the latest reports are not too favorable to the SL government forces. What's really going on guys?

We are very close to getting rid of these parasites but this type of articles are not helping.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8044777.stm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/may/1...civilian-deaths

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8043169.stm

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/12/world/as...rss&emc=rss

Edited by Mani

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another one for that list -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8042170.stm

Yes, it does seem the parasites are very close to being exterminated, which I hope happens soon for everybody's sake. But the government really isn't handling this situation very well. Deporting reporters really doesn't do much for their credibility.

Also, if the government truly believes that everyone will be able to live happily ever after once the LTTE is defeated militarily they're being extremely naive. People need to wake up to the fact that there truly is an deeper ethnic divide that needs to be resolved here....and all these allegations (true or not) about the military harming innocent civilians and the state of these camps really isn't helping.

On the other hand, idiots like these really piss me off-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8043588.stm

Support from Tamil Nadu has made this war get dragged on far longer than it should have. Elected politicians who make public statements saying stuff like they want "to send troops to create a separate homeland for Tamils in Sri Lanka called Eelam" should be yanked out of office. What the hell are they thinking?

here's another one for the list

how embarrassing is that sri lankan high commissioner. if i remember right that dude meant to be a retired judge. yet the guy can't utter five words properly. it is because of politically appointed jokers like this that we are loosing this propaganda war (of course certain things carried out by the GOSL is not helping things too much either)

i think it is fair for one to wonder weather it is worth to continue with the current 'operations' with such a negative international image

Disgraceful! In a way I am glad reports such as these are coming out..the only way to improve the situation within our government is to expose such incompetencies and hopefully pressure them into going about things in a more open and respectable manner.

Yes SL Govt is seriously lacking in convincing the Intl community since the top is full of activities alleging UNP n JVP n playing cheap political props for the local fools.

See the way UK appointed HC bullshit around. Last weekend I visited few IDP set-ups and that’s utterly bullshit allegation that corpse are left abandoned..I track closely and there were only three cases that IDPs succumbed inside IDP camps. Two reported at ‘Menik Farm” run by UN.

Who said NGOs not permitted inside IDPs?They are allowed and they run the show.The French hospital, The Pulmudai hospital is totally run by foreign Govts and SLs not allowed inside.

True that NGOs are not allowed in the first line regd stations in Puthu east,Vishwamadu south,Mankulam and K’Kulam because of the hot situ and truthfully the bad IDP set up.They are not IDP camps mind you but only temporary gathering points for the fleeing. I don’t think any third world country can cope up a flow of over twohundred thousand flow of IDPs at the first line.But the set up in level of rear HQs and Tac Hqs are better and vastly improving.

I don’t say they are the best living standards a Brit to live-in but much much better than the NFZ living standards IDPs enjoyed few days/weeks back. Pity that SL HC couldn’t answer this and not aware of the facts..

Disgraceful the way GOSL handle the intl community and media pressure. Sadly the truth is washed out..No wonder it happens when bullshitters like Keheliya (Im telling this with facts) and Lakshman Yapa,Anura Yapa run the show.

MINIACE

Also, if the government truly believes that everyone will be able to live happily ever after once the LTTE is defeated militarily they're being extremely naive.

They would have to be naive. Which leads us to the conclusion that it is a spin put for political gain which is swallowed hook, line and sinker by the naive voters, and the govt party knows this.

Hardly, I think. It is up to the people to hold politicians accountable for actions they claim to make on their behalf. Turning a blind eye doesn't make the problem go away.

first of all our country need strong opposition, now whatever government do no one is these to speak, people see Ranil as a joker, UNP needs a new leader then they will abe to get more votes and make a strong opposition,

Yes SL Govt is seriously lacking in convincing the Intl community since the top is full of activities alleging UNP n JVP n playing cheap political props for the local fools.

See the way UK appointed HC bullshit around. Last weekend I visited few IDP set-ups and that’s utterly bullshit allegation that corpse are left abandoned..I track closely and there were only three cases that IDPs succumbed inside IDP camps. Two reported at ‘Menik Farm” run by UN.

Who said NGOs not permitted inside IDPs?They are allowed and they run the show.The French hospital, The Pulmudai hospital is totally run by foreign Govts and SLs not allowed inside.

True that NGOs are not allowed in the first line regd stations in Puthu east,Vishwamadu south,Mankulam and K’Kulam because of the hot situ and truthfully the bad IDP set up.They are not IDP camps mind you but only temporary gathering points for the fleeing. I don’t think any third world country can cope up a flow of over twohundred thousand flow of IDPs at the first line.But the set up in level of rear HQs and Tac Hqs are better and vastly improving.

I don’t say they are the best living standards a Brit to live-in but much much better than the NFZ living standards IDPs enjoyed few days/weeks back. Pity that SL HC couldn’t answer this and not aware of the facts..

Disgraceful the way GOSL handle the intl community and media pressure. Sadly the truth is washed out..No wonder it happens when bullshitters like Keheliya (Im telling this with facts) and Lakshman Yapa,Anura Yapa run the show.

MINIACE

thanks for shedding some light into this Ace

but it's pretty pathetic us not having good diplomats and PR people to handle these sorta issues more intelligently...

I've seen some of our folks on TV making a mess of themselves and portraying a very bleak picture to the rest of the world by loosing their cool and being plain stupid. Media folks too are also on the look out for blood to get some headlines and good hits to their networks... Some of our guys are just playing into these traps like fools IMHO...

i'm not being racist...but i highly doubt the army is letting the corpses rot or are raping the women...it's just not in our blood.

then again channel four is one of the "cheap" tv chennels in the uk,they're probably trying to increase it's viewers by spining the stories and taking the side of the underdog..infact thet's what most media organisations do...

yep,we need some people who can represent us on the international scene...those old geezers they sow on TV make the matters even worse...we need someone who can slip his way outta tight situations with the country's dignity intact...maybe it's not a bad idea to teach mervyn silva some english and let him go talk to the international media,that guy could weasel his way out of anything :lol:

i'm not being racist...but i highly doubt the army is letting the corpses rot or are raping the women...it's just not in our blood.

then again channel four is one of the "cheap" tv chennels in the uk,they're probably trying to increase it's viewers by spining the stories and taking the side of the underdog..infact thet's what most media organisations do...

yep,we need some people who can represent us on the international scene...those old geezers they sow on TV make the matters even worse...we need someone who can slip his way outta tight situations with the country's dignity intact...maybe it's not a bad idea to teach mervyn silva some english and let him go talk to the international media,that guy could weasel his way out of anything :lol:

not just that razor. the uk doesnt want to change their views on ltte overnight cos if they do they'll be admitting that they've been wrong for the past 2 decades or so. remember how much they supported the tamil diaspora? even when they knew that they are indirectly helping hardcore ltte supporters who were among them.

and i'm with gihan on this cos every thread that we seem to open up about the war always gets very political. and funnily enough we all seem to have more or less the same opinions. the sad thing is we are just sitting here cursing whoever's responsible and its useless cos it wont change anything. so we might as well shut up.

I'm starting to see a lot of news reports here about the fighting in SL. Some of the latest reports are not too favorable to the SL government forces. What's really going on guys?

Honestly, you probably have a better idea than the avg person here, as you have more access to diverse sources of information.

Edited by Saturn

Hi guys.

First of all I do not think this is a useless thread. I'm not sure as to the protocols of AL with regards to the subject matter of threads. If it were kept to automobile related threads then we will obviously divert any unwanted arguments.

Having said that; my opinions.

@HelRazor - buddy I doubt we citizens of SL actually know whats happening any better than people in US or UK. We get fed the same BS that's filtered/ editted/ censored through the great government media machine. As much as the LTTE has its disinformation programmes so do GOSL. Sadly we are the victims of it. A true account of things?? Doubtful...

Further on your comment about certain things not being in our blood, well thats just not correct. The things people are capable of are not in their genes mate. Look at Nations that today practice the greatest of compassion and democracy and you will find that this wasn't the case all the way back in history. China had Tiananmen and Tibet, Russia had Gulags, Siberia Tsarism, Britain was born in the feudal system, not to mention the rape of nations during colonialism, Amritsar, Ireland, Scotland, SA, the Boer war( so many), US had Hiroshima (!), Native Americans GITMO! and da*n buddy everybody is capable of anything. The same people who went up to space did terrible terrible things during war AND peace.

The LTTE is a terrorist organization. Study in to the past and you might or might not appreciate that injustice breeds hatred that in turn ends up in civil violence. This is the case and has been during the history of the world as we know it. It is not always a bad thing. Conflict is not a bad thing. Thats why they call it Conflict management. What ever the reason the LTTE came into being, it is no doubt led by a psychotic megalomaniac. AND he must be stopped!

However, the means do not justify the end. Fighting animals we do not have to become animals. The government has a responsibilty to act in good faith not just to the voters who put them in power but also to the future generatoins that will take up this island after us. It is a universal truth that Germans born after the war suffered from a complex due to the behaviour of their nation during WWII. We must not act in a such a manner that our children are forced to live with Shame at what we did! History is written by the winners of war and the nations that get published will ensure they have their vrsion of events ''history- ized''

IDPs are a problem faced by many countries before SL. This is not indigenous. Other have been here.And in those instnaces the world at large looked at them with a jaundiced eye. In most cases foreign govenrments will tend to go against the local government. This is evident in most places from Afghanistan's troubles, persecution of Jews from Nazi Germany to Russia and biblical Palestine to modern day Palestine . The important things for us is to keep an open mind to both sides version of events. The official GOSL version is undoubtedly too rosy and the international media will undoubtedly paint us as racist pigs. By entering into argument that we are NOT so only confirm their smug belief that we are.. (self righteous b*******) Trust me I am not saying they are better than us. Just that to prove that we are better than them we should be impartial and think only of the affected. War is planned by old men in high towers, AC rooms and concrete bunkers, but those who suffer will be the common man , woman and child Help them however much we can. Ever hears of Oscar Schidler??(and no he did not invent the Oscar awards)

Finally, killing Prabhakaran will not end the civil war. Hanging Saddam didn't end the war in Iraq bombs were still going off and still are. Killing Gandhi and King did not finish their individual battles. And killing John Lennon did nor end the Beatles fame!! Icons sooner or later become larger than life and their causes will eventually overtake them. Once we have captured all the 'uncleared'areas, and plant a SL flag in all parts of the country the struggle does not end there. It merely pushes things below ground. Iraq, Ireland, American war of independence, (Star wars & Termniator too) We might go back to a spate of car bombings, train bombings etc. The time when we were not sent to schoold become of bomb threats. This is just a possibility. May be it wont happen.. Time will tell. I do not know..

Finally(errrr)

@Mini thanks for the info, You obviously have access to what we do not. And I agree that we need better ambassadors. But then again we all are...

Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier will think hard before starting a war - Prince Otto von Bismarck the Iron Chancellor(1815 - 1898)

Everything, everything in war is barbaric...But the worst barbarity of war is that it forces men collectively to commit acts against which individually they would revolt with their whole being.

Rebel, bravo my man bravo. where the hell have you been hiding all this time??????

Mini, thank you for the info. are you in a position to disclose any info about the recent claims of GOSL shelling NFZ and about the leaked satellite photos

Edited by Pericles

not just that razor. the uk doesnt want to change their views on ltte overnight cos if they do they'll be admitting that they've been wrong for the past 2 decades or so. remember how much they supported the tamil diaspora? even when they knew that they are indirectly helping hardcore ltte supporters who were among them.

machang care to shed more light on this????

and i'm with gihan on this cos every thread that we seem to open up about the war always gets very political. and funnily enough we all seem to have more or less the same opinions. the sad thing is we are just sitting here cursing whoever's responsible and its useless cos it wont change anything. so we might as well shut up.

JB don't say we should shut up because nothing visible is happening. we may not be putting any pressure on the government or other institutions but what's happening here is sharing of knowledge with different opinions and viewpoints. so people who are oblivious and lacks knowledge on the subject can enlighten themselves and not come across like the sri lankan high commissioner when others talk about these issues in a public domain. remember there are lots of people in AL who doesn't actively participate but view the forum religiously (heck i was a silent member for almost 2 years before i made my very first post)

Hi guys.

First of all I do not think this is a useless thread. I'm not sure as to the protocols of AL with regards to the subject matter of threads. If it were kept to automobile related threads then we will obviously divert any unwanted arguments.

Having said that; my opinions.

@HelRazor - buddy I doubt we citizens of SL actually know whats happening any better than people in US or UK. We get fed the same BS that's filtered/ editted/ censored through the great government media machine. As much as the LTTE has its disinformation programmes so do GOSL. Sadly we are the victims of it. A true account of things?? Doubtful...

Further on your comment about certain things not being in our blood, well thats just not correct. The things people are capable of are not in their genes mate. Look at Nations that today practice the greatest of compassion and democracy and you will find that this wasn't the case all the way back in history. China had Tiananmen and Tibet, Russia had Gulags, Siberia Tsarism, Britain was born in the feudal system, not to mention the rape of nations during colonialism, Amritsar, Ireland, Scotland, SA, the Boer war( so many), US had Hiroshima (!), Native Americans GITMO! and da*n buddy everybody is capable of anything. The same people who went up to space did terrible terrible things during war AND peace.

yes on my part the "not in the blood" thng was a bad argument and a childish example...but what i was trying to say is that those claims by channel 4 is probably exaggerated..... i seriosly do not think that those horrible accusations are true.

if you read through my recent posts in them "political threads" you'll find that our minds are quite on the same track and i agree on most of what you have said.

machang care to shed more light on this????

certainly! well let me correct what i said earlier. the british government hasn't done something wrong by granting them asylum and helping them start a life here. but they were very very late compared to most other nations when imposing the ltte ban (which i cant help but think was announced rather quietly). and this was years after ltte has carried out terrorist activity in an internationally recognised level. not just that. pro-ltte activity was happening in broad daylight before the ban. i mean shouldnt the government be aware that there are terrorists roaming freely in their country collecting funds and harassing civillians? from what i feel it wouldnt have been much different if the government itself funded them. and its not like its any different now. one could argue that bringing down the members of the ltte may not be the british governments highest priority right now. but isnt it an absolute shame when ltte supporters could still roam around its capital with an ltte flag in their hands without getting arrested?

JB don't say we should shut up because nothing visible is happening. we may not be putting any pressure on the government or other institutions but what's happening here is sharing of knowledge with different opinions and viewpoints. so people who are oblivious and lacks knowledge on the subject can enlighten themselves and not come across like the sri lankan high commissioner when others talk about these issues in a public domain. remember there are lots of people in AL who doesn't actively participate but view the forum religiously (heck i was a silent member for almost 2 years before i made my very first post)

point taken.