• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mazda 323 Radiator Issues

Sumzy

I need few expert opinions to resolve an issue that I currently face with my radiator. I am having a Mazda 323 (2002) and this is mostly similar to the BJ5P familia.

I had a hairline fracture in the upper tank of the radiator sometime back and I had to fix it using fiberglass at that time as I had no choice (happened out of Colombo). Now I see water level dropping in my overflow tank by 1 inch for every 2-3 days.

After having a chat with some of my friends I came up with few options that I can take

1. Replace the radiator with a re-conditioned one

This will be around 18000 bucks and the condition of the re-conditioned radiator is not guaranteed. Brand new would be around 45000 and car mart doesn't bring them down anymore.

2. Replace the upper plastic tank with a copper tank

I checked with radiator house and they said they can fix a copper tank, which would cost around 7500 bucks. Since the radiator core is aluminum, they said they are using a gum to seal things off instead of welding. Some say that the copper and aluminum does not go together and later there will be leaks again as both metals will have their oxide layers after sometime.

3. Replace the upper tank with an aluminum tank

This will cost around 6500 and they weld the core and the upper tank using aluminum. Since both core and the tank are aluminum, they can weld as well as use the gum to seal.

I really appreciate if someone can let me know what would be the best option that I can go for. I am suffering with this issue for a month and I need to fix this asap.

I need few expert opinions to resolve an issue that I currently face with my radiator. I am having a Mazda 323 (2002) and this is mostly similar to the BJ5P familia.

I had a hairline fracture in the upper tank of the radiator sometime back and I had to fix it using fiberglass at that time as I had no choice (happened out of Colombo). Now I see water level dropping in my overflow tank by 1 inch for every 2-3 days.

After having a chat with some of my friends I came up with few options that I can take

1. Replace the radiator with a re-conditioned one

This will be around 18000 bucks and the condition of the re-conditioned radiator is not guaranteed. Brand new would be around 45000 and car mart doesn't bring them down anymore.

2. Replace the upper plastic tank with a copper tank

I checked with radiator house and they said they can fix a copper tank, which would cost around 7500 bucks. Since the radiator core is aluminum, they said they are using a gum to seal things off instead of welding. Some say that the copper and aluminum does not go together and later there will be leaks again as both metals will have their oxide layers after sometime.

3. Replace the upper tank with an aluminum tank

This will cost around 6500 and they weld the core and the upper tank using aluminum. Since both core and the tank are aluminum, they can weld as well as use the gum to seal.

I really appreciate if someone can let me know what would be the best option that I can go for. I am suffering with this issue for a month and I need to fix this asap.

call Lalith @ Mazna Motors. He had BJ5P radiators - reconditioned and upper tank replaced with aluminum one.

I agree with 6208, pay a visit to Mazna motors, he has second hand radiators, and will give you a limited warrantee.

I wouldn't recommend to repair the existing one.

Hi,

I would go with the option of replacing rather than repairing.....In fact I was faced with the same dillema as you about

two months back. I also had the same options as you other than for the aluminium on aluminium weld. I replaced the radiator with a second hand one and have found that this "keeps cool" way better than the original did.

Paid 12k for it........18k is way too much for a second hand radiator.

However just be on the lookout, there are two kinds of radiators....ones that come in an auto and those that come in a manual.......the auto has an extra hose inlet for oil, but this can be sealed and used in a manual car, but a manual radiator cannot be used in an auto. Check an buy.

All the best .......

I have the 2000 model of the 323 – same thing

Well due to the heat the fibre tens to give away in a short period. Even the recon ones/originals are of plastic which eventually give away due to the heat we have in SL.

I replaced my radiator (Previous car – Mazda Interplay) with a metal /copper tank – my current ride has a copper tank – that would be the best option as you can always fix it

Option 3 would best the best – Radiator house would be a good option

Basically have the whole thing in one metal so that there are no hick ups – the cost seems about right – D*MO also do radiators and a friend replaced the radiator of a Trad for about 13K

Hope this help- feel free to drop me a mail if you need assistance