• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Iridium Plugs

nahsor16

Question

11 answers to this question

Hi all,

Iridium plugs are to get a longer life, so the intervals at which you change the plugs are much longer and iridiums work well under high stress for longer in high performance engines. Fitting them to a normal small engined car is not really economicaly sensible as you will not have a parellel performance or economy increase.Also they replace Platinum tipped plugs-in my experience replacing normal copper core plugs with platinum plugs specially in a car from the past with a low energy ignition system causes over loading and poor starting, I am going back to the 80's and before, used in a mid to late 90's car replacing original platinum plugs should not be a problem.

How ever using really expensive parts to save changing them sooner has to be an economic argument not an engineering solution.

Maithri

i try to avoid such questions that require answers in absolutes normally , but i too would like to know - bottom line - is it worth the investment if were to chuck in 6 Irridiums on a VG30 ?? :huh: it is likely i'll notice any improvement in fuel consumption and/or performance? :huh:

i try to avoid such questions that require answers in absolutes normally , but i too would like to know - bottom line - is it worth the investment if were to chuck in 6 Irridiums on a VG30 ?? :huh: it is likely i'll notice any improvement in fuel consumption and/or performance? :huh:

My earlier Bluebird SSS factory recommended plugs were platinum ones. Nissan parts catalog had no copper alternative listed when they looked up Chassis No / Engine No. Was advised that I would risk damaging the coils if i fitted normal copper plugs. The Platinum plugs cost considerably more than the Iridium ones also. (over 2k per plug), but they lasted a heck of a long time ... over 3 years and were still going strong when I sold the car....

My earlier Bluebird SSS factory recommended plugs were platinum ones. Nissan parts catalog had no copper alternative listed when they looked up Chassis No / Engine No. Was advised that I would risk damaging the coils if i fitted normal copper plugs. The Platinum plugs cost considerably more than the Iridium ones also. (over 2k per plug), but they lasted a heck of a long time ... over 3 years and were still going strong when I sold the car....

i found an alternative set of Copper ones for the Double Platinum NGK-R 's that come as OEM fittment but contemplating going the whole hog and buying Irridiums ,cuz last i checked they were available and not the Double Platinums :blink:

i found an alternative set of Copper ones for the Double Platinum NGK-R 's that come as OEM fittment but contemplating going the whole hog and buying Irridiums ,cuz last i checked they were available and not the Double Platinums :blink:

isnt the NGK-R for Turbo cars ?

By the way, for anyone who wants a cheaper alternative for iridium, NGK has a platinum plug (I've forgotten what its called, I think it's called G-power), its quite cheap, has a tiny point, and lasts quite a while.

If I remember, the price was quite cheap, I recommend these for anyone who wants to try.. vs buying Iridiums which give 99% the same performance at a much higher price.

Odd story - all my tests of higher performance plugs on my car yeilded poor results.. Could be because my car is ancient/mostly stoneage technology... but honestly the best results I ever got were with cheap NGK plugs - the type which have that V groove or something. WIth both iridium and platinum I had rougher idling.

Edited by Saturn

By the way, for anyone who wants a cheaper alternative for iridium, NGK has a platinum plug (I've forgotten what its called, I think it's called G-power), its quite cheap, has a tiny point, and lasts quite a while.

If I remember, the price was quite cheap, I recommend these for anyone who wants to try.. vs buying Iridiums which give 99% the same performance at a much higher price.

Odd story - all my tests of higher performance plugs on my car yeilded poor results.. Could be because my car is ancient/mostly stoneage technology... but honestly the best results I ever got were with cheap NGK plugs - the type which have that V groove or something. WIth both iridium and platinum I had rougher idling.

The irridiums i need were close to 2K a pop last i checked

its makes sense about the premium performance plugs not yeilding any improvement in a standard motor - remember the whole "cold" plug discussion a while back... :huh:

availability of double platinums in the local mkt as opposed to the standard platinums is also an issue..

I think Saturn has experienced what I was trying to say, that the car must be capable of and need the higher cost long life type plugs.

NGK-R stands for resistor type plugs required in european markets for radio noise suppression I believe.

NGK has an on line spark plug application guide, try this first and buy only the recomended plug for your car, not what your friend fitted to his as in extreme cases an incorect plug can destroy an engine.

Maithri.