• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What Does Engine Tune Up Means?

hyndai

Guys, What is the importance of Engine Tune Up? what are the indications that indicates a need for an engine tune up & basically how do we do this? i mean is it a manual work or some thing done by using some specific machine and last not least what would be the typical cost of a engine tune up?

Hi,

Tune up seems to be widely used in SL as a means of cleaning injectors using chemicals such as w**th, cleaning throttle bodies cleaning and re gapping spark plugs, and trying to at least clear learnt values from the ecu by disconnecting the battery. In pre ecu days-(my youth in SL) the points were cleaned and adjusted, the tappets/valve clearances nwere adjusted,carburettors were cleaned and timing if the ignition was set up as well as the fuel air mixture of the carb. Them days in the west we used to have Sun, Crypton etc engine tunining equipment with oscilla scopes etc to bring a more scientific angle and I used to be good at it with my Trusty Crypton 440!

Nowadays the modern car allows very little adjustment, a chip in the ecu is mapped to carry out all the variable functions and all that can be attended to is the mechanical bits, so have the valve clearances set if non hydraulic tappets are fitted, clean the throttle butterfly and housing if contaminated by the oil fumes from the breather system, Use a good fuel system cleaner once every 6 months or so in the petrol tank . Re setting the ecu to factory basic setting is not really needed unless the idle is erratic as the system has adopted to drive at its premium level according to your driving style and going back to basic will mean time spent re learning them.

As to the need for one or the required frequency and cost I cant help you with.

How ever if your car runs well and is giving average fuel economy for a similar model I suggest you leave thing as they are and just stick to the throttle body clean, new plugs at the right interval and the odd can of fuel treatment in the tank.

Maithri.