• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need Help Plz!!

sandeecmb

Hi Don,

Actually mini panels are not difficult to fabricate. Just finished a restore on my mini - new front end a/c ++ and the remaining bits of panel (to replace the old corroded ones) were not difficult to fabricate at all. And very little cataloy was used in the whole process.

You will require quite a bit of time and patience but believe me mini's are not expensive to maintain in comparision to the cars of today. What is important is putting in disk brakes (you will generally need 12" alloys to go with them as there are very few 10" disk sets around) as the general problem with most of the older drum brake minis is the front washes failing about once a year.

The 998 engine seems to be more than adequate for colombo - even with the a/c. There are a few 1275 efi's around but I guess not so many spares to be had so if you blow a computer or sensor you may be screwed.

On the whole its a good car to zip around the traffic of Colombo but beware of the rain as sometime the car stalls when the delco gets damp.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dv.

A clubman at a tag of 4 is a reasonable buy but all depends on body condition,interior,mechanical and regd and revenue licence updating.In my opinion a clubman with many extras including front disks alloys , ac and in perfect body trim and interior with good ICE is worth 4.

but must frankly tell you that youll run into some degree of trouble selling a clubman as clubmans are not every mini enthusiasts favourite mini.some dislike clubmans for no reason,maybe the high engine capacity or the odd looking front.

Whatever the case may be dont be in a hurry to grab a mini...go for a good buy ..play a waiting role ,i recomend a post 1983 Mini for you...and finally is it a 1250cc or a 1275cc?? please check on this with the owner.

Cheers!!

oi miniace, u are realy hard to catch....give me your email address

Hi Don,

Actually mini panels are not difficult to fabricate. Just finished a restore on my mini - new front end a/c ++ and the remaining bits of panel (to replace the old corroded ones) were not difficult to fabricate at all. And very little cataloy was used in the whole process.

You will require quite a bit of time and patience but believe me mini's are not expensive to maintain in comparision to the cars of today. What is important is putting in disk brakes (you will generally need 12" alloys to go with them as there are very few 10" disk sets around) as the general problem with most of the older drum brake minis is the front washes failing about once a year.

The 998 engine seems to be more than adequate for colombo - even with the a/c. There are a few 1275 efi's around but I guess not so many spares to be had so if you blow a computer or sensor you may be screwed.

On the whole its a good car to zip around the traffic of Colombo but beware of the rain as sometime the car stalls when the delco gets damp.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dv.

Thanks DV much appriciated

Miniace my man,

Yet to actually see a Cooper S running in SL, is your Cooper S an EFI version ? what do you think of the last of the Mini Coopers Miniace ? the EFI versions, some people have a negative opinion of them, say they are not proper mini's, thesedays I am considering getting a low milleage 98 99 Cooper (not a Cooper S),

Also a lot of Mini's I encountered had more cataloy than metal (which is what prevented me from getting one when I was there) can you get proper Mini pannels in SL for repair ? and how do you perform body repairs on a mini ?

Hi pal Don!

Yes i have a Cooper S EFi.Thats a Mk6.with higher final drive, driver airbag, side impact beams, better sound insulation, improved front seats, a front-mounted radiator and sportspack with fat 13 inch wheels.This is the Red babe featured in a famous commercial! the last authentic Cooper s EFi Mk6 in SL.

The Mini panel job is very easy and any good auto technician can handle even without a previous expeirience on a mini. Body panels are widely available through Japanese used parts dealers and at few mini dealers in Colombo but with new restrictions on importing body parts,things are becoming bit complicated.

Only two authentic 98-99 MK7 Coopers are in SL.so your idea is going to be a dream only.

Machan I agree with what you mentioned about 10 inch disk units and brakes but front 12 inch disk subframes now turned 10inch units locally.This is cheaply done and not complicated too.

Computers in SL Minis..wow like to know more about them.

Mini sensors are not complicated ,so dont worry too much about them.

Well Dizzy behaviours in wet is an old story.Todays Dizzys are much more reliable in wet.If not a rubber glove would do the honors.New minis (post Mk6) have weather protection kits fitted as an option or else available at reputed Mini dealers.

Cheers!

Thats very disappointing news Miniace, thankfully if i really wanted to own one I could since atleast for the moment I live in Miniland, but nothing like Sri Lanka though.

I kind of like the old minis also not the EFI versions I recently had a ride in a new Cooper S (BMW) very tidy car and you can hear the supercharger at work.

Regards,

The Don

Thats very disappointing news Miniace, thankfully if i really wanted to own one I could since atleast for the moment I live in Miniland, but nothing like Sri Lanka though.

I kind of like the old minis also not the EFI versions I recently had a ride in a new Cooper S (BMW) very tidy car and you can hear the supercharger at work.

Regards,

The Don

No No don't worry! Just mentioned only one model.I honestly dont see any reason to be dissapointed.In SL hundreds of well maintained Mini minors are to choose from.Just dont worry about the Mk7 Coopers :) Get settled with a late model carb type non Cooper.You can mod or customize it with a Cooper after market pack. You can even supercharge it locally.So dont get dishearten.Cheer up and come down..Give me a call..will help you to be a proud Mini owner. :lol:

Cheers!