• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Big Bike From 80's

HardHat

looking for a big Jap bike in good condition from early 80's

Honda CB250N, CB400N, 250Hawk, kawasaki Z200 or something similar - those heavy air cooled, twin piped naked bikes - is what I have in mind

any leads most appeciated

looking for a big Jap bike in good condition from early 80's

Honda CB250N, CB400N, 250Hawk, kawasaki Z200 or something similar - those heavy air cooled, twin piped naked bikes - is what I have in mind

any leads most appeciated

Hey Hardhat me too, can I jump onto your bikewagon?

Am looking for old big bikes too but not "Vintage" just old jap bikes, Yamaha RD 350, 350LC, TZR 250, or some like that. Any Jap makes.Two strokes and a bit quick.

One of the old racers at Mahagastota told me he had sold a RD 350 for 25K a few weeks ago ! Damn damn damn. :action-smiley-060:

I was told that the guys down Panchkawatte are the best to ask, but need a lead to first make the cut:)

hey Pradfred, just jump in. It's better to have company in this quest

Well I'm looking for four stroke and never mind being not so quick

RD 350 for 25k? that's damn cheap if the bike is in running condition. A freind of mine had a Honda NS350 back in 1990s - remember those? I think Fred Spencer was riding NS500 when he took the world championship.

One more bike I would be interested in is Yamaha XS 250. Another mate of mine in STF is having one for 14 years now. Olive green and in immaculate condition. Never selling though.

I wouldn't trust the guys down Panchikawatte. There should be good examples of these old big bikes just sitting around peoples' backyards cause they are bit too expensive to run and maintain these days.

hey Pradfred, just jump in. It's better to have company in this quest

Well I'm looking for four stroke and never mind being not so quick

RD 350 for 25k? that's damn cheap if the bike is in running condition. A freind of mine had a Honda NS350 back in 1990s - remember those? I think Fred Spencer was riding NS500 when he took the world championship.

One more bike I would be interested in is Yamaha XS 250. Another mate of mine in STF is having one for 14 years now. Olive green and in immaculate condition. Never selling though.

I wouldn't trust the guys down Panchikawatte. There should be good examples of these old big bikes just sitting around peoples' backyards cause they are bit too expensive to run and maintain these days.

Im rather clueless about bikes, but there is a guy next door to my office who does bike repairs, he gets a lot of old jap bikes, and uses our yard for parking them sometimes, The remains of a CB250N are there even now sadly, dunno what was wrong with it, owner never collected because of some major engine prob, so iit just rotted into the ground :(

I'll keep an eye open and ask the bloke if he knows anyone who's getting rid of any bikes.

Edited by Supra_Natural

Thanks Supra

In SL many people do not go into restoration of old cars or bikes because of the cost and difficulty involved in finding parts I guess. As such, if a machine had not been kept in good nick, it will most probably rott down to the ground.

I remember in early 80's a "Sudda" had imported a Honda CBX to SL (for those who are unfamiliar with bikes, this was the only 1000cc air cooled in-line 6cyl 6carb bike ever produced in the world so far). Seen him on Kandy Rd climbing Kadugannawa once. Wonder if that bike is still alive. I also used to see a Honda CX500 (liquid cooled V-Twin) parked outside a motorcycle workshop betw Dehiwala and Mt.Lav for a long time in early 90's.

Am looking for old big bikes too but not "Vintage" just old jap bikes, Yamaha RD 350, 350LC, TZR 250, or some like that. Any Jap makes.Two strokes and a bit quick.

One of the old racers at Mahagastota told me he had sold a RD 350 for 25K a few weeks ago ! Damn damn damn. :action-smiley-060:

I was told that the guys down Panchkawatte are the best to ask, but need a lead to first make the cut:)

wasn't there lovely looking White bike that ran up the hill - Twin carb with a fron Disk on a 6/8 Sri plate or something - big capacity as well!

machang a hawk 250 is a very cool bike .. if u can find one in running condition for around 50-75k that would be a good deal ... personally i don't kw abt the local motor bike market and when i came down i got fed up by seeing the indian crap running around the roads like bugs and really happy to see good old bike lovers who have taste ....

Got a TZR250 rear straight exhaust model (NZ spec - 89/90 model) if u like. :)

acdeb.jpg

This is how it looked in original trim. However I'm running it around with a new body kit now. The Originals are preserved, just in case I need to change it back.

There's also a RZ250RR with a friend (needs a lot of restoration). But I can hook u up.

Edited by shamitz

wasn't there lovely looking White bike that ran up the hill - Twin carb with a fron Disk on a 6/8 Sri plate or something - big capacity as well!

Wickum Ranjith's Yamaha RD350 ( the old police model) ... he's been running that up mahagastotte for years dude .. I dont think he'll sell.

Hi Shamitz

TZR is a cool bike but I'm somewhat a 4 Stroke fan so most Yamaha s are not for me. Had a Yamaha SR125 abt 12 years back

Hi Kotte

sounds like you live abroad. Me too and visit SL once in 3-4 months. I'm pretty tired as well to see the Indian crap running around. They may be cheaper to buy initially but most wan't last more than 3 to 5 years. A good old Jap bike will run for decades if taken care of properly. One of my uncles got a 10Sri 1980 CD185, still giving that original beat not heard in CD200 or CD125 which came afterwards

Got a TZR250 rear straight exhaust model (NZ spec - 89/90 model) if u like. :)

acdeb.jpg

This is how it looked in original trim. However I'm running it around with a new body kit now. The Originals are preserved, just in case I need to change it back.

There's also a RZ250RR with a friend (needs a lot of restoration). But I can hook u up.

Lovely mate. Sorry for the delay in replying on baby duty nowadays - Speaking of babies notice that Rippers gone a bit silent ? Yo Ripster where art thou ?

Am deffa interested in both bikes( depends on asking price I suppose:) ) :rolleyes: The TZR 250 was a fav of mine before I got the CBR.

Get in touch man : [email protected] :jumping-smiley-013:

The RD which ran up the Mahagastota not for sale :( asked ( begged) him actually lol, but he too said will keep his eys open. Lets hope.

There is a CB 1000 with a friend of mine who is a big name family who collects lotsa cars and stuff, its just parked though.....a red one 6 cyl, tranverse mounted yummy. Ma dad had the original superbike the CB 750 with those 4 awesome pipes, I used to get dropped at prep, lol . The bikes now in Germany......

Hardhat: The XS was a 3 cylinder right? thought it gave trouble?

Any of you know whats the scene with the proverbial police bikes? Now that they got some new ones ..........

lets keep on looking......the need for speed gets higher the older ya get !!!!

There is a CB 1000 with a friend of mine who is a big name family who collects lotsa cars and stuff, its just parked though.....a red one 6 cyl, tranverse mounted yummy. Ma dad had the original superbike the CB 750 with those 4 awesome pipes, I used to get dropped at prep, lol . The bikes now in Germany......

Hardhat: The XS was a 3 cylinder right? thought it gave trouble?

Any of you know whats the scene with the proverbial police bikes? Now that they got some new ones ..........

lets keep on looking......the need for speed gets higher the older ya get !!!!

whoa! there is a red CB1000 in SL as well? That means there are two (or perhaps more). The one I've seen was silver. Is the bike registered / street legal? Any chance they are selling? ;)

The CB750Four was a pure classic. Had a poster of the full range of Honda bikes of M/Y 1980 on my bedroom wall and the 750Four was a one featured in that, along with CB900F, 750 Bol D'or and GL1000 Goldwing

The XS 250 is a two cylinder and not bad in terms of reliability. There may be bigger XS's 3 Cyl or more which may be prone to give trouble

anyway, my first choice is either a CB250/400N or 250Hawk

Edited by HardHat

Ash, pl give me a lead to the Hawk

Sorry Machan, the owner is out of the country and will be down in couple of days time. But can show you the bike if you like before that (no chance of starting it though). let me know...

hey prad

sorry mate...didn't notice this thread flourishing :)

i see some folks don't like 2 smokes that much :)

i used to love em... still got my old mtx200r and i had an nsr250 for like 2 days before i sold it off :) was a pretty past bike and can get to 160, 180 range very fast... But a bit thirsty and plugs needed attention every now and then...

For those 2 days of ownership i was moronic enough to "race" tzr's and one rz250... :P Smoke both of them one over the baseline flyover and the rz in kandy road.. :)

Came across this lovely rs250...aprilia race tuned in italy whatever that means... i so wanted to buy it after riding it but sadly was getting close to my wedding days so had to let it go :( I heard it was later sold for 90k :( It was brought down from italy and had italian plates on it when i checked it....

speaking of 3 pot motors...most of those are seemingly less reliable for some odd reason. When i was about 15 had the chance to ride a honda mvx 250... not a very common model in SL... It too is 3 pot...2 firing forward and 1 firing towards the rear.... lovely bike it was but at that time my bro's friend who was the owner sold it for 25k...

I once got a deal for an rd400...25k was the asking price but it hadn't run for like ages... i didn't know what a legendary bike it was at the time and the cosmetics just turned me away from it... Looking back i should have bought the bloody thing... The owner passed away after a car accident so dunno what happened to the bike

yo Ripper!

glad you jumped in to this thread. Lemme clarify a little - it's not that some folks don't like two smokes, but raher getting too old for those fast crotch rockets and not so agile anymore to find that bent froward riding poistion comfortable :action-smiley-012: otherwise love those TZRs, MTXs and NSRs

the MVX, yep I remebrer those. A distant cousin of mine had one, decent fast bike but had engine probelms ever now and then and used to smoke like an old CTB bus

any lead on a CBN?

Sorry Machan, the owner is out of the country and will be down in couple of days time. But can show you the bike if you like before that (no chance of starting it though). let me know...

Ash, I'm out of country as well and visit home often as and when needed

Any chance of seeing a pic or two of the bike via email and a bit of details like M/Y, Reg year, No. of owners and km? [[email protected]]

thanks in advance.

hey prad

sorry mate...didn't notice this thread flourishing :)

i see some folks don't like 2 smokes that much :)

ha ha once you get the 2T & petrol mixure in ya blood you addicted for life mate !

I am looking for any old Jap bike within a small budget, as I am sure we will need to spend some moolah on fettling.

I miss my bikes and seem to be getting older faster without them.

So how about some leads or at least names of some mechanics who can point us in the right direction?

Ripper what happened to the Rd 400? Do you know the location of it being seen last ?

Shamitz: where's the TZR 250 man ? you've disappeared too !

Shamitz: where's the TZR 250 man ? you've disappeared too !

Hi dude, sorry for taking so long to reply, I havent been visiting AL much lately.

sent u a mail to your ya-hoo addy . Btw .. I've got more pix of the TZR in its current form on my bikepics pages.

cheers

Edited by shamitz

Lovely mate. Sorry for the delay in replying on baby duty nowadays - Speaking of babies notice that Rippers gone a bit silent ? Yo Ripster where art thou ?

Am deffa interested in both bikes( depends on asking price I suppose:) ) :rolleyes: The TZR 250 was a fav of mine before I got the CBR.

Get in touch man : [email protected] :jumping-smiley-013:

The RD which ran up the Mahagastota not for sale :( asked ( begged) him actually lol, but he too said will keep his eys open. Lets hope.

Well .. have a look ... & u can make an offer ... I'm not into bike business ... I'm currently on the verge of getting kicked out of the house for owning too many bikes :D LOL .. so I decided to sell my 2strokes.

Btw .. I've seen a silver CB1000 a while back in superb condition at a garage in wattala (owner is a big name in car racing) who's got an office down ward place. Dont know if we r talking about the same bike (may have been painted). :)