• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Southern Ew

Le Sabre

Question

The first stage of the Colombo - Matara Expressway (up to Galle) will be completed in July 2010 and the total project would be ready by 2011.

Total length of the expressway would be 126 kilometres, which is 34 kms less than the existing Colombo - Matara highway.

The expressway costing Rs. 84 billion is Sri Lanka’s biggest development project in history(nop Colombo south harbour) and is also the first access controlled expressway (EW) in the country.

Design speed of the project starting from Kottawa on Highlevel road and ending at Godagama in Matara is 120 kilometres per hour.

“One of the biggest advantages of the project is that a motorist would be able to reach Matara in just one hour and twenty minutes and Galle in one hour,” said Project Director, Southern Transport Development Project (STDP), S. Meihandan.

The EW is a four lane dual carriageway with eleven interchanges with toll gates and one rest area in Bentota with a 1.5m wide centre median with a cable barrier.

The access to the expressway would be from Kottawa on High Level road and from Kahathuduwa, Gelanigama, Dodangoda, Welipenna, Kurundugahahetekma, Nayapamula, Pinnaduwa, Deegoda, Weligama and Godagama on Matara Akuressa road.

There would be 153 underpasses and 27 overpasses as well. The EW would also be linked to the Colombo - Katunayake EW and the proposed Colombo - Kandy EW.

He said the EW was originally planned to be a two lane expressway and it was converted to a four lane anticipating the future demand. “We estimate that the Southern expressway would be sufficient to meet the demand for another 25 years.

There is provision for two additional lanes for the future,” he added.

Two Special ambulances and a fire brigade would be assigned for the Expressway in case of an emergency.

Commenting on the proposed ‘toll’ he said that the STDP, hopes to charge a toll of Rs. 3 per kilometer from Cars, Rs. 6 from Vans, Rs. 9 from Buses and Lorries and Rs. 12 from Container Trucks.

A toll card is also planned for regular users. No motor bikes or three wheelers would be allowed in the EW.

Japan International Co-operation Agency, (JICA) Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the government would fund the project.

The main objective of the project is to assist the development of economic activities of the Southern Province by encouraging growth in industries such as tourism, fisheries and agriculture.

Another advantage would be the reduction of fatal and non-fatal accidents (Most of the present victims are pedestrians and cyclists) in the A2 highway. Security against potential tsunami impacts between North and South on the Western Coast has also been considered. Land acquisition and resettlement has been substantially completed. Post resettlement activities such as income restoration, home gardening development and environmental monitoring are in progress.

He said that nearly 1340 families were displaced and Rs. 4.57 Billion had been paid as compensation so far.

Commenting on new technology the project director said that application of Compact Vacuum Consolidation and heavy tamping methods to treat soft soil areas were introduced.

• Answers 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

No motor bikes or Three wheelers allowed on the expressway.

Also good to note that there will be 2 ambulances and a fire brigade for any emergency on the EW.

I guess there might be more police mobile patrols and squad cars to keep an eye on speeders.

I really dont think the leg upto Galle will be completed before July 2010.I did an aerial recce recently and the project is far far behind the schedule. Southern sectors are much better than western provincial sectors..Some of the southern sections of 2-3kms are almost completed.I have a video will post it on Youtube soon.

MINIACE

Went to Thalahitiya (Near Kaluthara) the day before yesterday and a huge lump of soil was erected for the highway. Wonder why they used soil to fill-up the slopes, when they could have easily constructed concrete pillars for much lesser cost.<_<

Forgot to take a few snaps though, sorry. :(

does anyone know what happened to that highway that was supposed to go the airport or to negombo - the one which had issues with Muthurajawela? :huh:

was it been scrapped?? Isam mentioning the huge soil mounds reminded me of the sand mounds which were seen when construction was going on...

does anyone know what happened to that highway that was supposed to go the airport or to negombo - the one which had issues with Muthurajawela? :huh:

was it been scrapped?? Isam mentioning the huge soil mounds reminded me of the sand mounds which were seen when construction was going on...

well machang good old CBK and then highway minister (unfortunately i can't remember who it was) after fattening their pockets decided to scrapped the idea. it seems it was meant to be a flop ever since the very first survey was done. they have plotted the road through a marshy terrain therefore costing a hell of a lot of money just to prepare the ground before a single layer of tar is poured. after only half way through with the initial preparation process our buffoons realised the project is to cost a lot more than what was budgeted. the word in the street is this flaw was pointed out during the planning stage but the people in power decided to ignore it since the expensive way of doing things will in return create more opportunities to enhance their personnel wealth.

Le Sabre, just out of curiosity mate what's with your fascination with new roads??? are you researching on this subject or are you employed in this field?

thanks for the lin MiniAce!

that thing must be rather wide given how broad it looks even from waay up there! :o

i dont think its as wide as the gravel itself. As mini follows the road you see some concrete underpasses from time to time, and most of those are only about half the width of the gravel, so thats probably the width of the road. They probably acquired more land and kept a reservation in case they wanted to expand in the future.

Edit: check out the video at 3.40 (just before the river), you'll see such an underpass. Another at 3.13 and 3.19

Edited by Dilesh

Its a four lane highway with two each direction.Not enough I guess.

At 3.41 its the new "Kalu Ganga" bridge.

Sorry about the quality.I made it 15MB for the benifit of many.will upload a 60MB version of the same soon.

MINIACE

Its a four lane highway with two each direction.Not enough I guess.

At 3.41 its the new "Kalu Ganga" bridge.

Sorry about the quality.I made it 15MB for the benifit of many.will upload a 60MB version of the same soon.

MINIACE

since there'll be a continuous uninterrupted flow in traffic two lanes should theoretically be good enough. But the problem comes when our jackasses take the center lane and refuse to give way to faster moving vehicles.

since there'll be a continuous uninterrupted flow in traffic two lanes should theoretically be good enough. But the problem comes when our jackasses take the center lane and refuse to give way to faster moving vehicles.

And since a toll is paid, those moronic types will feel that they own the Highway ha ha.

MINIACE

And since a toll is paid, those moronic types will feel that they own the Highway ha ha.

MINIACE

we may have to face a bigger problem than that. Tailgating!

With wide open spaces and straight roads and the traffic moving at similar speeds motorists will get disorientated and you'll always get that lunatic who's hovering 2" from your bumper. when there's space get the hell out of their way. when there isn't just pray you wont have to stop suddenly and abruptly.

with the introduction of expressways i think we'll have to seriously alter the traffic laws and mainly driving tests

well machang good old CBK and then highway minister (unfortunately i can't remember who it was) after fattening their pockets decided to scrapped the idea. it seems it was meant to be a flop ever since the very first survey was done. they have plotted the road through a marshy terrain therefore costing a hell of a lot of money just to prepare the ground before a single layer of tar is poured. after only half way through with the initial preparation process our buffoons realised the project is to cost a lot more than what was budgeted. the word in the street is this flaw was pointed out during the planning stage but the people in power decided to ignore it since the expensive way of doing things will in return create more opportunities to enhance their personnel wealth.

Le Sabre, just out of curiosity mate what's with your fascination with new roads??? are you researching on this subject or are you employed in this field?

They realized all that after cutting down a lot of trees and selling them, giving contracts to soil movers, read architects, etc...

Too damn bad that there is no performance review for the government!

Amen to that! thats the time I wish I had a backhoe :angry-smiley-048:

Collapsing bridge kills schoolboy

A bridge over a culvert situated on the Southern Expressway at Poddala in Galle collapsed on Tuesday night causing the death of a schoolboy. The victim Vajira De Silva was a student of the Richmond College, Galle and was preparing to sit for his GCE Advanced Level Examination this year.

He had been returning home after attending tuition classes when he met with the tragic accident. Another young man who received injuries in the incident was admitted to the Karapitiya hospital. Residents of the area recovered the body last morning after removing the mound of earth which had fallen on top of the boy with back-hoes. An official of the contractor company told Daily Mirror that the bridge was under observation due to a crack appearing on it. However the Director of the Project S,Neihanddon has promised to initiate a formal inquiry into the incident. Meanwhile, the tragic death of the teenager sent shock waves across the area, creating tension among the residents. They pointed out that the southern expressway is a failed project that was a death trap, endangering the lives of many

http://www.dailymirror.lk/DM_BLOG/Sections...spx?ARTID=50195

MINIACE

Collapsing bridge kills schoolboy

A bridge over a culvert situated on the Southern Expressway at Poddala in Galle collapsed on Tuesday night causing the death of a schoolboy. The victim Vajira De Silva was a student of the Richmond College, Galle and was preparing to sit for his GCE Advanced Level Examination this year.

He had been returning home after attending tuition classes when he met with the tragic accident. Another young man who received injuries in the incident was admitted to the Karapitiya hospital. Residents of the area recovered the body last morning after removing the mound of earth which had fallen on top of the boy with back-hoes. An official of the contractor company told Daily Mirror that the bridge was under observation due to a crack appearing on it. However the Director of the Project S,Neihanddon has promised to initiate a formal inquiry into the incident. Meanwhile, the tragic death of the teenager sent shock waves across the area, creating tension among the residents. They pointed out that the southern expressway is a failed project that was a death trap, endangering the lives of many

http://www.dailymirror.lk/DM_BLOG/Sections...spx?ARTID=50195

MINIACE

some form of legal/criminal action should be taken against the project director for this. If the bridge was under obcervation with the potential of a crack leading to a collapse its even more reason for the construction company to take some safety precautions. Something like this happened in S'pore a couple of years ago and the project enginner or some key character went to jail for neglegence..

Something like this happened in S'pore a couple of years ago and the project enginner or some key character went to jail for neglegence..

in Seoul South Korea, about a decade ago, a shopping mall which had been showing signs of structural stress for some time but ignored by the mall owners collapsed - about 15 people died and hundreds injured. The mall owner, the contractor, structral engineer, safety officer, mall manager - the whole gang of culprits approx 12 of them, some of them multy millionnaire business tycoons - were fined heavily and went to jail

in Sri Lanka, no one will go to jail, not even to the police, nor receive at least a slap on the wrist I presume

I hope they also don't allow buses on on the highway...can you imagine them crushing everyone in their bid to reach 120?

Actually, are they going to allow people to even approach 100? I wonder how many of the vehicles can maintain that kind of speed for long given certain dubious maintenance methods we have here, and how many drivers can actually handle that kindof speed without doing something heroic=stupid. Batta van's cruising along at 100-120 kmph and doing a sudden swerve...

Edited by SeanD