• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What To Buy - For Between 500k-900k?

Supra_Natural

I heard this from many, even the mechanic I bring to check vehicles recommends a starlet. I've checked few starlets and charades, so far the best choice seems to be a charade. (Among the ones I checked, according to the mechanic). Anyway will check few more days before buying.

Thanks in advance

~sanjaya

I have also heard numerous stories about Charades in SL.. Maybe all crazy bastards who dont give a damn about their car gets hold of Charades and all the sceptical car worshipers gets hold of all the Starlets? :D Maybe thats why Charades get thrashed around while the Starlets remain in so called “showroom” condition? :D

Havent used a G100, but i have had a pleasent experience with a G200.. Used one for a bit over an year and that was one hell of a reliable ride with a little 1.3 litre motor.. That thing was still running without missing a beat when I got rid of it with over 240k KM`s on the clock.. :D There was vertually nothing wrong mechanical, electrical, etc.. I mean even the shockabsorbers were still originals.. :) The car was regularly serviced and maintained though (even by the previous user), but no pampering around. :) Having said that, I`ve also come across expensive, better built cars start giving trouble when reaching 200k.. :)Hence I started to appreciate little Charades..

Anyways, good luck with your Gtti.. It`s a little ledgend itself with the so called “the smallest production Turbo motor..” (at that time I recon..)

Check this out if you want more info on Dai`s : http://www.daiclub.com/

Edited by MrCat

Thanks a lot for the info mate. Car is great, have some small stuff to be done. Does anybody know a good person to tune the carburetor. Acceleration is bit too low, but not bad either :-). Need to check whether turbo unit working or not as well.

I've heard that there's a person called "Carburetor Banda "in granpass. Is he good, if so I'll bring it here and get the tuneup done. (It's in Kandy right now:-). Still couldn't get some pictures, will post some later.

Thanks in advance.

~sanjaya

AAh thats great mate.. I guess the trubo is not spooling properly if acceleration is low eh? :(

I`ve heard about the "Carburetor Banda" guy as well, but not sure about his whereabouts now. I`m 100% sure i`ve seen some info about carb tuning in some of the threads here in AL. Can remember a discussion about this "banda" guy as well.. You can do a thorough search on the forums, Im sure it was there somwhere..

Cheers..

• 2 weeks later...

How many have seen good AE 86 s in the town thesed ays.

If can find, a trouble free choice for a country where the roads are much like water streams with huge holes. (no CV joint replacements ...)

BMW E30 is superb. But all European cars are a bit too igh on maintenance cost due to high price of the spare parts.

Also Y not a ToyotaAE100?

I have also heard numerous stories about Charades in SL.. Maybe all crazy bastards who dont give a damn about their car gets hold of Charades and all the sceptical car worshipers gets hold of all the Starlets? :D Maybe thats why Charades get thrashed around while the Starlets remain in so called “showroom” condition? :D

Havent used a G100, but i have had a pleasent experience with a G200.. Used one for a bit over an year and that was one hell of a reliable ride with a little 1.3 litre motor.. That thing was still running without missing a beat when I got rid of it with over 240k KM`s on the clock.. :D There was vertually nothing wrong mechanical, electrical, etc.. I mean even the shockabsorbers were still originals.. :) The car was regularly serviced and maintained though (even by the previous user), but no pampering around. :) Having said that, I`ve also come across expensive, better built cars start giving trouble when reaching 200k.. :)Hence I started to appreciate little Charades..

Anyways, good luck with your Gtti.. It`s a little ledgend itself with the so called “the smallest production Turbo motor..” (at that time I recon..)

Check this out if you want more info on Dai`s : http://www.daiclub.com/

I agree. The Charade's a good car machang....of course it all depends on how well it's looked after an all like MrCat says

I had G200 about 3 years back.....was an awesome little bullet he he.......It even got me to Yala in 4 n half hours flat :D

No major trouble other than for the gasket goin bust as soon as I bought it. The previous owner hadn't looked ater it as well as I thought he had :angry:

Sadly the only issue with it was re-sale. People kept comparing it to a toyota starlet.....personally the Charade felt more solid

to drive around than the starlet (EP82). They did share some of the parts though.

Anyway all the best with your buy Sanjaya....you should post some pics soon :)

Name of the garage "Bulumulla Service Station" (Opposite to the tea center in Kiribathkumbura junction), his name is Nimedha. He lost his phone yesterday, will post his number once he gets a new one :-).

~sanjaya

Ohh, I guessed that is the place :D

Does he also do EFi related stuff?

Ohh, I guessed that is the place :D

Does he also do EFi related stuff?

Yes they do. I got to know yesterday that the other person working in that garage is the owner of that garage. His name is Dilan Adikari, who placed 4'th in Group SL-A Cars Upto 1050 CC, foxhill last year. He was running a charade. This time he's going to run a Mitsubishi minica Dangan this time :-).

Thanks

~sanjaya

Edited by Sanjaya Ratnaweera

• 3 months later...
Guys friend of mine, a girl asked advise on getting a car around 600K budget. what are the options 500K - 600K??

Maruti 800???

why not something like Sanjaya bought and posted pics if you scroll back on this thread instead?

There are lots and lots of options what we discussed and with the price reduction some more will fall into this bracket.

M800s of that price tag are indeed now accomplished their mission and heading to a slow death I guess.

M800s of that price tag are indeed now accomplished their mission and heading to a slow death I guess.

What would be the price for one in good condition?

buying a car for between 500k-600k is asking for trouble. She end up spending a bit on repairs and time at the work shop.

Yep I thought so, but will there be any change after tax reductions.

And also she will have to manage every thing with her self all the repairs, etc. So that's why I thought of M800

Well im sure the Mini you owned was a pre-Mk4 one.Sure I agree, pre Mk4 cars are vulnerable for numerous snags.

During the period-2004-2007 a mini Mk4 was my daily usage car. And mind you I was based -Vavunia that period. Clocked just about 1000km a week. Used to drive back and fourth every possible time, especially during weekends. All I did was pump fuel.thats how I became a hardcore Mini fan.Hats off to Minis for being so light on my wallet, particularly when I was broke govt warrior.

Not hesitant to recommend a Mini to any person for any kind of a drive! Not exaggerating!

MINIACE

Machang what is the speed you touched maximum when you were driving from vavuniya, and how much do you think it gave you per litre

Guys friend of mine, a girl asked advise on getting a car around 600K budget. what are the options 500K - 600K??

Maruti 800???

suggest a mini...a joy to drive and easy to maintain,plus it has character..the tax cut won't hamper it's value.

suggest a mini...a joy to drive and easy to maintain,plus it has character..the tax cut won't hamper it's value.

machan is there good legit cars in this bracket.. and she is in kandy I am not femilier any place specialized for spares for Mini in kandy side.

Edited by MkX