• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Cbr - Rr Fireblade, Gullarm & Hurricane

fuzzy

Question

Hey Guys,

Well, i lurv this forum! Ever since i first joined it for tips on when i got my Mazda Interplay. But, now i need help and advice coz i'm on the look out for a bike.

Well, I'm a bit confused on the difference between the CBR RR Fireblade, the CBR Gullarm and the CBR Hurricane. I'v tried looking on the net but, can't seem to find anything substantial to help me make a decision on which model i'd like to get.

So guys, if any of you have an understanding on the differences, appreciate your feedback yo'all!!!

Thanks loads,

Fuzzy

10 answers to this question

well my area of expetise is with kawasaki and yamaha,never been a fan honda moto's except the VFR400 V-Tec...but here's what i know

the "fireblade" and the "gullarm" you are reffering to are both the same bike(NC29 model)...the gullarm has a few minor differances to it's body and the gullwing-like swing arm,hence the name...but remember that only post 1990 models were given the fireblade name,anything manufactured earlier than that are only normal CBR's (NC23 aka the triarm)...and AFAIK the hurricane is a CBR race replica series produced by honda in the late 80's,ranging from 600cc and upwards.

Edited by HelRazor

Hey Guys,

Well, i lurv this forum! Ever since i first joined it for tips on when i got my Mazda Interplay. But, now i need help and advice coz i'm on the look out for a bike.

Well, I'm a bit confused on the difference between the CBR RR Fireblade, the CBR Gullarm and the CBR Hurricane. I'v tried looking on the net but, can't seem to find anything substantial to help me make a decision on which model i'd like to get.

So guys, if any of you have an understanding on the differences, appreciate your feedback yo'all!!!

Thanks loads,

Fuzzy

Between the Honda CBR Hurricane and the Honda CBR Gullarm there are many differences. Hurricane was the earlier model to Gullarm, which has a single large front disk, 3 spoke wheels a fuel pump etc.. The Gullarm was a completely new redesigned bike with a gull shaped swing arm that was adopted from the NSR250, two disks at front, 6 spoke wheels, a completely new set of VP carburetors, vacuum operated pump, etc...

Between the CBR Gullarm and the Fireblade, which was the last model in the series has minor differences except CBR Fireblade has a reduced power output of 40 ps (30 kW), which was due to a change in Japanese law. Apart from that Fireblade is on-light, less wholes in the front disks compared with Gullarm front disks.

Those are the differences according to my knowledge. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Hey guys,

Sorry for digging up an old thread but can someone explain a bit more as to what model came in which era with what features exactly and how to identify them properly by the external appearance or frame/engine numbers on documents? Found the below pic on the net and it's more confusing, what exactly is NC numbering and 23, 29 etc.? I thought the CBR250 wasn't manufactured after 96, atleast not the frames, but we get many in SL as 2003 models etc., what are they? And as I understand, the "Hurricane" was earliest with a square headlight, then "Gullarm" with two round headlights and the "Fireblade" with two 'cats eyes' headlights, is that right?

Thanks in advance!

Honda-CBR250F-R-RR-1986-1999.jpg?1294782549

Edit - Just now saw that NC29 was a code number for the CBR400 blink.gif , is that correct?

Edited by BLu3HaZe

Ok, thanks guys!

So that means single light were Hurricane and MC14 & 17? Then Gullarm is dual light MC19 & 22 upto 94? And Fireblade is MC22 from 94-96?

So which ones are the 45hp bikes and the 40hp bikes? unsure.gif

Single light models are MC14(Bobby Sport) & MC17(Hurricane). (1987)

Early Dual lights are Hurricane MC19. (1988-1989)

Dual lights Gullarm is MC22. (1990-1993)

Fireblade is also an MC22 (almost identical to gullarm). (1994-1996)

*Bikes which were built in 1996 were sold in 2000 as brand new in Australia. So AFAIK the production ended actually in 1996.

Hurricane / Gullarm - 45PS

Fireblade - 40PS (Horse power was limited due to a change in japanese law).

NC29 is CBR400.

Single light models are MC14(Bobby Sport) & MC17(Hurricane). (1987)

Early Dual lights are Hurricane MC19. (1988-1989)

Dual lights Gullarm is MC22. (1990-1993)

Fireblade is also an MC22 (almost identical to gullarm). (1994-1996)

The above description helps a lot & thanks for that, but when looking for a bike its hard to rely on these cosmetic features like the on-light option, graphics on the body kit, holes on disc breaks etc since most of the bike have gone through a long life in Sri Lanka and been replaced with many parts. Most of the bikes have lost their original identity.

Will someone please be able to post a picture of the  gull shaped swing arm  & the regular so that it would help people like us to identify the difference.

For extra reading : http://www.nostalgicsportsbikes.com/honda-cbr-250rr-mc22.html

CBR.jpg

Edited by aakyl4ever

Go with the chassis number both gull arm and fireblade start with MC22- but the fireblade go on as MC2211XXXXX and the Gullarm as MC2210XXXXXX thats the best way to identify the two. There were few more from back in the day when i used to own and ride a gull arm that i remember. To start off with the RPM redline on the fireblade is less (18,000) than the gull arm which was (19,000), I also vaguely remember the fireblade had running lights and gull arm you had the option to turn it on and off.