• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bbq Grill

tharindu6

does anyone know how to build a BBQ grill...I dont like that one they have at Arpico its small :angry-smiley-024:

well you get a really nice one at singer mega shops.... 45k was the price last time i checked with the air pump, temp gauge etc etc... Pretty good size and quite sturdy too...

I built one in a very short deadline last christmas from a barrel...

bought one for 500bucks from my service station guys who insisted i take it for free :)

got it cut in half and connected the two pieces with two hinges so one half serves as the bottom base and the other as a top cover... had to use metal rods to keep it sturdy cos once you cut the damn thing it flexes too much...

and got t his whole contraption fixed on a stand...

on the bottom piece we secured the grill...and below that a thicker plate to hold the coal so it wont burn the barrel...

this unit is quite big and takes some space and also quite heavy to move around though...

if you search on google for barrel bbq's you'll get some good tips :)

http://www.bbqjunkie.com/bbq-equipment/bui...ble-barrel-bbq/

mine's lot simillar to this minus the fancy powder coating :P

http://www.barrel-barbecue.co.uk/

try titus stores they have a bigger one cost like 6000 buks though.....if not the get a barrel cut it in two half so it would have a semi cylidical shape use hinges to connect the two halves so the top can be used as a lid...weld 4 feet or a stand on to it....cut a mesh or grill which would be enough to cover the lover half...weld a handle on to the top half so u can use that to open...and viola u got ur self a bbq grill....i knw i knw not as easy at it sounds though....

oh...ripper beat me to it...in giving the tip on cuttin a barrel to use....u dont need fancy powder coating to cook a mean bbq pork chop...neone of u guys know hw to marrinate...im still to learn that skill

oh...ripper beat me to it...in giving the tip on cuttin a barrel to use....u dont need fancy powder coating to cook a mean bbq pork chop...neone of u guys know hw to marrinate...im still to learn that skill

heh heh..kapaw!! :)

and though i quite like the sleek powder coat look...just used come al-cheapo anti corrosive paint on the outside and that's it :) it looks crap but but cooks like a champ :)

on cutting....a quick dirty way to cut the barrel in half is to use the electric welding gun, put it into to higher power, put a welding rod on and "cut" with it...

the extra temp just burns through the barrel...you gotta have a steady hand though :)

Marinade is easy bro :)

I use a some irish dark beer...or even lion lager... Keels supermarkets sell this BBQ mix packet thingy... use that...

some soy sauce, pepper, garlic, vinegar, lime, salt, tomatoes and you're in business :)

i usually keep it in the fridge for about 2 days to properly get the flavor to go into the meat...

so far no complaints :) and only good compliments :) :)

but never let wifey "interfere"....

bbq is strictly a mans thing... at least in my house :lol:

i usually keep it in the fridge for about 2 days to properly get the flavor to go into the meat...

so far no complaints :) and only good compliments :) :)

but never let wifey "interfere"....

bbq is strictly a mans thing... at least in my house :lol:

Hey hey Yummy ...

The MFOC Committe met last week and we wanted to do a BBQ.......

why not have one? BYOB & Meats? ........

looks like ripper can do the marination and maybe even have a fresh caught fishy..... :rolleyes:

awesome..... :jumping-smiley-013: ...thanks machan...luckily i dont have to be worried about wifeys.....cos im not married :violent-smiley-099:

heh heh...there are lotsa good things about them too bro :)

like she keeps track of my beer stock at home and even at times buy stuff upon spotting an impending shortage :) :) :)

but BBQ is a strictly no go area :)

or they'll even say you're not stacking up the coal properly to light em up... :lol:

+1 Ripper. Even my dad had one like that. Well, I don't think he bothered with a hinged top half, or any top half. Only addition was a perforated metal pipe, inserted into the normal barrel opening at the top (have to cut the barrel to make sure that opening is right near the bottom of the grill). Blow into it (using a pipe!) to feed fresh air to the bottom of the fire and get it burning.

well you get a really nice one at singer mega shops.... 45k was the price last time i checked with the air pump, temp gauge etc etc... Pretty good size and quite sturdy too...

I built one in a very short deadline last christmas from a barrel...

bought one for 500bucks from my service station guys who insisted i take it for free :)

got it cut in half and connected the two pieces with two hinges so one half serves as the bottom base and the other as a top cover... had to use metal rods to keep it sturdy cos once you cut the damn thing it flexes too much...

and got t his whole contraption fixed on a stand...

on the bottom piece we secured the grill...and below that a thicker plate to hold the coal so it wont burn the barrel...

this unit is quite big and takes some space and also quite heavy to move around though...

if you search on google for barrel bbq's you'll get some good tips :)

http://www.bbqjunkie.com/bbq-equipment/bui...ble-barrel-bbq/

mine's lot simillar to this minus the fancy powder coating :P

http://www.barrel-barbecue.co.uk/

Rippe would u be able to post some pics or your BBQ grill so that I can get some ideas..when u have free time :)

+1 Ripper. Even my dad had one like that. Well, I don't think he bothered with a hinged top half, or any top half. Only addition was a perforated metal pipe, inserted into the normal barrel opening at the top (have to cut the barrel to make sure that opening is right near the bottom of the grill). Blow into it (using a pipe!) to feed fresh air to the bottom of the fire and get it burning.

the barrel i got had two openings...one smaller one and the usual main one... i drilled additional "breather holes" on the sides..

with that bbq coal you get at supermarket...you don't really need a fancy blower... just fanning it every 20 mins or so with the grill off with a newspaper or summin like that does the trick for me..

the top cover is additional weight and also makes the whole thing bulky... the only reason i kept it was to hold the moisture inside and not let the meat dry up as they cook... i keep a small steel container filled with water on the grill to steam up and retain the moisture

few bits of cinnamon in that water too is a nice touch :)

the barrel i got had two openings...one smaller one and the usual main one... i drilled additional "breather holes" on the sides..

with that bbq coal you get at supermarket...you don't really need a fancy blower... just fanning it every 20 mins or so with the grill off with a newspaper or summin like that does the trick for me..

the top cover is additional weight and also makes the whole thing bulky... the only reason i kept it was to hold the moisture inside and not let the meat dry up as they cook... i keep a small steel container filled with water on the grill to steam up and retain the moisture

few bits of cinnamon in that water too is a nice touch :)

Ours was used in Nuwara Eliya, Closest supermarket was an hours drive away (and then you have to come back too :D ) If I remember right, we used wood, coconut shells and stuff. I was more into eating the results than into the preparation. Besides, mom didn't like us "playing with fire" :rolleyes:

Although I don't think I've ever seen a covered affair at all. Interesting theory, this moisture business. Must try and see.

Ours was used in Nuwara Eliya, Closest supermarket was an hours drive away (and then you have to come back too :D ) If I remember right, we used wood, coconut shells and stuff. I was more into eating the results than into the preparation. Besides, mom didn't like us "playing with fire" :rolleyes:

Although I don't think I've ever seen a covered affair at all. Interesting theory, this moisture business. Must try and see.

well the moisture seen is ok even on open grill as long as somebody make use of a brush and keep em moist with marinade... i sorta prefer to spend that time gulping down a chilled pint :)

btw...coconut shells are super but they die fast and are lot more of a pain when compared to coal... I tend to keep a coal pack or two at home for "emergencies" since i'm way to lazy to attend to pol katu and wood fire :P

If you want to buy professional BBQ grill you go to ABDUI RAHEEMS its in FORT 1st cross street and wellawaththa.

Guess they are powered by LPG and too expensive for a BBQ.

just need summin to have a BBQ.. not looking for posh stuff bro..ripper where did u buy the Barrel and the Grill?

i bought it from a service station in wattala mate... it's my regular joint and i think it was a caltex oil barrel!

most service stations should be having them... Just make sure you clean the barrel pretty well cos any remnant of oil will ruin your food...

The grill is just a mesh made out of thicker metal rods machang... like the stuff you get on window grills but the round ones and not the square one cos it's easier to weld... And we kept the gaps between the metal rods to be small enough to even bbq some prawns...the not so big ones :P

i'll try to get some pics for you when i get home..

i bought it from a service station in wattala mate... it's my regular joint and i think it was a caltex oil barrel!

most service stations should be having them... Just make sure you clean the barrel pretty well cos any remnant of oil will ruin your food...

The grill is just a mesh made out of thicker metal rods machang... like the stuff you get on window grills but the round ones and not the square one cos it's easier to weld... And we kept the gaps between the metal rods to be small enough to even bbq some prawns...the not so big ones :P

i'll try to get some pics for you when i get home..

Thanks bro :)

here's the most simple one. use a wheelbarrow and some chicken wire. and light the coconut shells outside on a wood burning stove or something. cos they are a bitch to light. and get bladdered before you have the bbq cos you wont notice if it tastes rubbish. oh! and dont bbq pork :P

if on the other hand you want one made maybe i could help you.

here's the most simple one. use a wheelbarrow and some chicken wire. and light the coconut shells outside on a wood burning stove or something. cos they are a bitch to light. and get bladdered before you have the bbq cos you wont notice if it tastes rubbish. oh! and dont bbq pork :P

if on the other hand you want one made maybe i could help you.

why not bbq pork mate?

it puts out a lot of smoke but tasted damn good IMO :)

and for simple ones...once i saw on tv a few aussies using a shovel :) get some hot coal going and place shovel on top of that and whallah!

why not bbq pork mate?

it puts out a lot of smoke but tasted damn good IMO :)

and for simple ones...once i saw on tv a few aussies using a shovel :) get some hot coal going and place shovel on top of that and whallah!

cos if you get it wrong (i.e. not cook it long enough) you might end up with a case of severe illness. as for improvising check this out

n19224080_38008062_79.jpg