• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nissan '99 - '00 Models

raji7778

Guys, :action-smiley-035:

I'm yet to buy my first car & I've been adviced by some of my friends not to go for Nissans that were manufactured in between 1999-2000 (They say that these vehicles do have certain technical faults :angry-smiley-024: ) But some say it's applicable to specific models like Fb 15's only! Pls. help me out to reveal the truth !!! :wild:

I'm yet to buy my first car & I've been adviced by some of my friends not to go for Nissans that were manufactured in between 1999-2000 (They say that these vehicles do have certain technical faults :angry-smiley-024: ) But some say it's applicable to specific models like Fb 15's only! Pls. help me out to reveal the truth !!! :wild:

I am having a FB15 YOM 1999 for three years and done 50,000kms my self . Never had any issues, troubles or problems.

Edited by Bharath

Hey!! My father is using a FB15 super saloon YOM 99. He has been using it for some time now and it has clocked around 90k and so far no issues at all.

The engine and transmission are solid pal.. no issue wat so ever.. but the only concern is the wear and tear of the suspension is a it high as in we have replace the lower arm twice (something to consider) and the bushes and cv joints frequently. I think those models are renowned for the suspension issues.

probably some unsubstantiated rumours floated about by some Toyota drivers who think they know it all! <_<

(again, please don't flame - merely stating based on whats known and seen amoung ultra conservative sri lankan motorists who are notorious for defending & rationalizing thier decisions and choices (with almost religious fervor might i add!) in a bid to , simply to avoid facing facts (or rather denying those which don't apply to them) , or in some other cases, coming to grips with cognitive dissonance they know they feel but pretend not to

The only known problem, easily rectified and bound to have been on most cars by now ,i will be quick to add) is the Air Flow sensor issue on the FB15's

The only known problem, easily rectified and bound to have been on most cars by now ,i will be quick to add) is the Air Flow sensor issue on the FB15's

I heard of this even before I bought my FB15 and also I asked the previous owner. He said he changed the AF Sensor once. After I bought the car I have done 3 years and 50000kms but didn't see any trouble on that side.

Any Way how can we find out that the Airflow sensor is faulty?

probably some unsubstantiated rumours floated about by some Toyota drivers who think they know it all! <_<

(again, please don't flame - merely stating based on whats known and seen amoung ultra conservative sri lankan motorists who are notorious for defending & rationalizing thier decisions and choices (with almost religious fervor might i add!) in a bid to , simply to avoid facing facts (or rather denying those which don't apply to them) , or in some other cases, coming to grips with cognitive dissonance they know they feel but pretend not to

Absolutely Right Dev,

Having had 2 Cefiros, an FB 15, and long ago a nice Trad sunny ( with power sunroof- forsooth) I can say that Nissans rock. Sri Lanka is full of perceptions created by certain parties with vested interests .

Imagine paying over 3 Million for a Vios / Yaris and a similar Nissan / Mazda goes for half that . Good for those who can look past the "herd" metalility and make informed choices. How about Alfas ?

I am now looking at a Mazda 323, or the old Nissan Blue bird 'Eprise' to add to the family and there is this certain 2 door black Nissan which is on the long term plan too lol :rolleyes:

I am now looking at a Mazda 323, or the old Nissan Blue bird 'Eprise' to add to the family and there is this certain 2 door black Nissan which is on the long term plan too lol :rolleyes:

huh? :huh: Can give you a slightly more practical black two door Nissan for a lower price :P

This is my first post so HI every one

I have used four FB 15 (on rent) for about 3 years I have had only one issue once some time back a sensor were the car used to stall but bar that it was all good, the rids a bit hard due to the car been a bit low to the ground.

I heard of this even before I bought my FB15 and also I asked the previous owner. He said he changed the AF Sensor once. After I bought the car I have done 3 years and 50000kms but didn't see any trouble on that side.

Any Way how can we find out that the Airflow sensor is faulty?

If the MAF is gone, your car will smoke, consume a lot of fuel (noticeable) and the pulling power will go down the drains.

FB 15 is real value for money. And has a fair after market value too (you buy for less, you sell for less :) )

Yes the lower arm bush will tear off frequently but could be replaced with Malaysian bushes for less than 2.5K. The MAF will typically be need to replaced every 50K Kms, which could be bought for less than 8~6K from a vendor or at about 14K from A*W.

huh? :huh: Can give you a slightly more practical black two door Nissan for a lower price :P

Depends on which Black two door is been referred here...

There's this really.. Fast two door... and another really.. really... fast two door...

But then again, the owner won't be driving it.. :P

Own one myself. Problem that is being referred to is a manufacturing defect in the crank and cam angle sensors of the cars with QG series engines (sensors which are used to fire the electronic ignition instead of a distributor) In any case this is a fairly inexpensive replacement.

Almost all of these cars by now have had the faulty sensors replaced. (mine included...)

On the other hand A*W has a special mobile service equipped to quickly fix any electronic breakdowns..

Some FB15s have been known to have faulty Airflow sensors... which is a little more expensive repair. But here again all the faulty parts would have been weeded out and fixed by now.

My car (YOM 2000) has run for over 5 years now without even one single fault.

Own one myself. Problem that is being referred to is a manufacturing defect in the crank and cam angle sensors of the cars with QG series engines (sensors which are used to fire the electronic ignition instead of a distributor) In any case this is a fairly inexpensive replacement.

Almost all of these cars by now have had the faulty sensors replaced. (mine included...)

On the other hand A*W has a special mobile service equipped to quickly fix any electronic breakdowns..

Some FB15s have been known to have faulty Airflow sensors... which is a little more expensive repair. But here again all the faulty parts would have been weeded out and fixed by now.

My car (YOM 2000) has run for over 5 years now without even one single fault.

Manufacturing defects is a common for many make/models.. even in my Toyota (ZZE-122), Chain tensioner O-ring is faulty (Manufacturing defect and separate TSB has been released) and had to replaced. likewise it's a common thing among many vehicles. there are some bad eggs. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ruslan

Depends on which Black two door is been referred here...

There's this really.. Fast two door... and another really.. really... fast two door...

But then again, the owner won't be driving it.. :P

now if the owner were driving , i feel the latter might be a rather entertaining if not interesting choice! ;)

dev you got a point but at the same time i believe there's another reason behind the local car buyers ultra sensitivity towards rumors

unlike most of the privileged folks in this forum for most of the sri lankans buying a car is the biggest or the second biggest (real estate/property topping the list) expense they'll ever make in their lifetime hence it does make sense to buy something solid so they can enjoy some trouble free motoring for few years. plus with the current car prices and high cost of living most of them are left with little or no money for any unexpected repair after buying the car.

If the MAF is gone, your car will smoke, consume a lot of fuel (noticeable) and the pulling power will go down the drains.

Thanks for the info machan. As none of the listed symptoms are there in my car I trust my AF sensor is still good :)

As you can gather from forum comments, applying this to all cars in 99-00' era is baseless. have personally used three cars from this period over time and never had 'technical' issues except usual running repairs & maintanance..

try to find one which is reasonably well looked after.... there are quite a few threads in this forum itself which give handy tips on buying a car...

Good luck!!