• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Advice Needed Pls Urgently - Customs Detained Packet

MAS

Hi,

I ordered a set of vehicle LED lights from Ebay and they have arrived to Sri Lanka via EMS today. But unfortunately the packet has been detained by customs (I got a notice).

I have received a "pink form (a,b & c)" from customs with the EMS notice. Its asking for all sorts of docs, incl. invoices etc. The seller has undervalued it in his customs declaration and has sent it as a gift. So I guess I also need to maintain this value ? and gift status ? Please advice here.

Anyone who has gone through this "pink form" procedure ? Any advices would help.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I have bought stuff through Ebay and this is the first time one of my packets were detained. Also this is the first time I ever got one down via EMS. <_<

If your package arrived through EMS you just have to fill in the pink paper and go to the post office and clear the package. There is no need to include invoices and other documents. You only need the invoices and document if you are a dealer who is trying to sell the item. there is a separate place that you have to write your name, ID no. ect.. Read the whole document then you will get what i am saying :)

Edited by Dj shan

Actual value US$55.... undervalued by seller for around US#30.

i did led import from US. customs charged me 50% of the invoice value as tax. clearance done by my agent. not done by my self. so if you go to clear proper way you have to pay 50% of the invoice vale. but in this case you may able to manage custom session. when you go to central post office located in the fort near the sampathbank you go to EMS division. in the EMS the parcel will open in front of you by custom officers. they will check all the documents and items what you have received from the sender. when checking time you give innocent talk like " this is from one of my friend he is in us. he sent me this as a gift. loku gaanak tax walata daanna eapa podi gaanak daala meka poddak shape karala denna" and so on. but keep this in your mind "GIFT items are taxable". always keep "shape talk". anyway, i think they will give you a chance. good luck.

don't fill pink form. you go there with all documents as it is that u have received from the EMS. they will tel you how to fill it. take your NIC.

i passed this barer so many times. :rolleyes: custom officers not too bad. one time i imported digital xxxxxx from US through ebay i pay only rs. 200 as tax.

Edited by Nilantha
  • Like 1

go with the friend story.. it always works.. there are a couple of guys at the front who checks ur document. in this case the letter that came to ur place.. put a chat to them.. its all about PR.. i bought down a lap top battery from EBAY worth around US50 and only paid 150Rs as hanlding.. talk the the front guys and they will inform a guy inside, they assign a number i think...

not to worry.. but the attire is important too.. dont go looking expensive.. bata slippers shorts and a old T shirt does the trick...

• Like 1

Thank you all for your valuable advice !!!

I am going today to the post office. :action-smiley-060:

All the best bro, let us know how was it going once you returned home with the parcel.

Edited by Bharath

Not what the manager of Coffee Stop said that day ;)

Ado machan, Don't ever remind me that day, I was like got stucked in the couch and can't even stand or walk around. That was a nice lesson :)

Edited by Bharath

go with the friend story.. it always works.. there are a couple of guys at the front who checks ur document. in this case the letter that came to ur place.. put a chat to them.. its all about PR.. i bought down a lap top battery from EBAY worth around US50 and only paid 150Rs as hanlding.. talk the the front guys and they will inform a guy inside, they assign a number i think...

not to worry.. but the attire is important too.. dont go looking expensive.. bata slippers shorts and a old T shirt does the trick...

hah hah the attire part was so true :)

Believe me or not, I collected a laptop worth $450, for just 450/= tax lol, a nice story saves you a lot, anyway tht's the most expensive item I have collected so far, I have collected about 10-20 items, most went below 500/=, some around 3000/=, anyway they were worth it :)

• 10 years later...

Hi, 

I also received a pink form. But I can't go to claim it as a I work everyday except Sundays. So I'm planning to send the declaration A and the invoice. Am I supposed to send it as an ordinary mail and additional  stamps so they could reply. can I pay the  tax amount without go there. Pls advise. Thanks in advance. Cost of the article is about lkr 2700. 

16 hours ago, Panthera said:

Hi, 

I also received a pink form. But I can't go to claim it as a I work everyday except Sundays. So I'm planning to send the declaration A and the invoice. Am I supposed to send it as an ordinary mail and additional  stamps so they could reply. can I pay the  tax amount without go there. Pls advise. Thanks in advance. Cost of the article is about lkr 2700. 

Bad idea. Go yourself or send someone. If there's a stamp that says AIR-1 or AIR-2, you get charged 50 bucks every delayed day. On top of it, you wont get the package to the local post office for at least a month.

You dont need to pay postage if you wish to send the forms. Just staple them and handover to the postman. Its 'on state service', so postage is not necessary.

I have dealt with post office customs many times. Never had any issues with them. I even got down a massive chandelier once. Paid something like a 500 bucks as duty.

• Thanks 1