• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bmw 316 1980

chanster

19022009449.jpg

By chansteronline, shot with N95 at 2009-02-23

Hi Guys,

Im planning to buy a car next month or so and im looking at this car since it is going for cheap. The problems (I think) are,

It is a left handed vehicle converted to right hand

It has a Toyota Corona 1600CC Petrol engine (Also has Gas)

It has stayed at the same place for 5 months

I don't know anything about cars but i have always loved the BMW 316 E30 and of course Rover Mini. Now i can afford one. please advice me. What will be the maintenance costs i will have to bare? Also there are about 6 buttons aside the gear lever, Will they work with the Toyota Engine? The car's AC is working and it has power shutters and hey say it is full option.

Thanks in Advance.

Edited by chanster

how much are you getting this car for?

the usual going price on these are anywhere from 700k upwards depending on condition etc

if it has been mucked about with a toyota engine etc, then i would stay away from it as your resale might be very hard.

if it has been mucked about with a toyota engine etc, then i would stay away from it as your resale might be very hard.

& then there is also the Left to Right hand drive issue - so its that not been done right...

i'm with fuzzo,

best to stay clear and look else where

there are pleanty of decent BMW E30 316's in the market , so your better of finding a more original specimen

19022009449.jpg

Hi Guys,

Im planning to buy a car next month or so and im looking at this car since it is going for cheap. The problems (I think) are,

It is a left handed vehicle converted to right hand

It has a Toyota Corona 1600CC Petrol engine (Also has Gas)

It has stayed at the same place for 5 months

I don't know anything about cars but i have always loved the BMW 316 E30 and of course Rover Mini. Now i can afford one. please advice me. What will be the maintenance costs i will have to bare? Also there are about 6 buttons aside the gear lever, Will they work with the Toyota Engine? The car's AC is working and it has power shutters and hey say it is full option.

Thanks in Advance.

I would recomend you to stay out of this. Once these cars are messed-up it is extremely difficult to put them back to what it should be. The total wiring in the car would be messed if it has under gone a Jap engine swap. Also for the owner to fix Jap engine into this you may never what else would have been done under the metal.

There are plenty of good looking E30's around, but try to go for genuine one which is in original condition. Sometimes they may have small things to be done (do not forget that these are almost 2 decades form manufacture).

19022009449.jpg

Hi Guys,

RUN AWAY. AS FAR AWAY FROM THAT AS POSSIBLE.

There are super E 30s for sale. Corona engine & GAs - why are you looking at a BMW ?????????/

Check out the Autolanka classifieds man.

Dont take it even if its free :rolleyes:

how much are you getting this car for?

the usual going price on these are anywhere from 700k upwards depending on condition etc

This car is 500k and that is like my budget. I can go max about 5.75 Lacks. I am buying the car to use for at least 3 years. i have no thought to sell it as i love the E30. I am planning to give it a new coat of paint and fix the interior and all.

So you guys don't recommend this at all? It is a 19-xxxx. This is also going to be my first car.

Thanks.

This car is 500k and that is like my budget. I can go max about 5.75 Lacks. I am buying the car to use for at least 3 years. i have no thought to sell it as i love the E30. I am planning to give it a new coat of paint and fix the interior and all.

So you guys don't recommend this at all? It is a 19-xxxx. This is also going to be my first car.

Thanks.

Mate put all your money which u are saving for Paint and other stuff to buy an original E30... and pls dont go by the number, be a 16-xxxx or what ever, but a good car will save a lot of money by the end of your 3 year plan... :rolleyes:

and mmmm :huh: i'm not too sure u should be rigid to have a plan for what ever time even before u buy it... be free and flexible about changing your drive specially if it's not satisfactory to your self, be free to experiment :jumping-smiley-013:

And this is just my view, but many might think different..

Edited by CHAP

Thanks.

What is the manufactue year of this?? is it 1990??

This would have been used by a person who has no care for vehicles which is why there is a Jap engine in it. If you really like an E30 better hold on for a while until you can get reach about a 800k budget so that you can own a decent one.

Thanks.

you ought to be able to find a mint car for 700k or so

i strongly advise you against making this purchase

there are a lot of things we love in life , but mark my words , there will come a time when you will want to sell it

its an inanimate object afterall

the E30 is nice car, but its not worth the heartache your setting yourself up for

save up a bit more - buy an original E30

its a buyers market so who knows you might well be able to snap up a good E30 at a bargain price should you try hard enough and have some luck on your side...

What is the manufactue year of this?? is it 1990??

This would have been used by a person who has no care for vehicles which is why there is a Jap engine in it. If you really like an E30 better hold on for a while until you can get reach about a 800k budget so that you can own a decent one.

It is a 1980 model. Thats what the owner and the book says. The owner also said that he swapped the engine because of the expense for the BMW engine parts.

Thanks a lot guys. I will keep away from this then. I am in urgent need of a car so i have no choice but to go in for a Mini 1000;-).

It's a 1980 model is questionable coz the production of the E30 started form 1984. Anyway give-up the idea on this.

The Mini is a good choice! Have seen many of them advertised so you shouldn't have a prob in getting a good one.

the Mini isn't exactly a trouble free car , but certainly a whole load of fun to own and run from what i've heard from owners & seen

nippy little thing to scoot around town in :)

your money is best spent on finding a good original MINI rather than wasting it on that BMW

don't rush - pleanty of good Mini's in the market - asking prices will vary from ridiculously high to reasonable , so make sure you get one in good running order

have someone who knows thier way around an "A" series engine have a look at things before you commit

there are a number of Mini afficianados on AL, so ask them for advice

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

Hey Dude...

First of all its nice to hear that you love BMW's... But if you love them so much, why would you want to buy BMW with a Corona Engine...??? The whole point of buying and loving a BMW is lost right there... its not only the good looks, but its also about the power, performance and superior technology. :jumping-smiley-013:

Secondly it doesnt matter if the vehicle is a 19 - XXXX or a english number... I bought a E30 316i which is a 16-XXXX and it does great on fuel, its trouble free and most importantly its a comfortable and safe drive... I would never go back to a Jap car ever again :violent-smiley-099:

The most important thing about buying a car is being patient my friend, coz you get only one chance and you need to make the right choice when you do... You really dont want to end up with a crappy car that sits in your garage or in a mechanics shed... Trust me you will regret your choice and it'll be too late, coz it wont be easy to part with it. It took me nearly 6-8 months to find the right BMW for me (Im no rich kid, I had to save up and find a car that suited my micro budget :P), but now im enjoying the outcome of my sacrifice, coz Im driving my dream car and I have no issues to deal with.

Ask yourself the question why is this guy selling a BMW for 500k??? Would you, if it was your car... Also try to find out who maintained the car, the number of owners and it's mileage... when buying a Euro car, its always good to know its history...

I really do hope you make the right choice, coz eventually it is your call :) so all the best mate, hope you find the right car at the right time.

Another curious question on the topic..

BMWs are rear-wheel drives, and from my little knowledge of cars of Japanese that era i thin they were front wheel drives.. anyone have any idea on how the drive-line is on this might be like?

The Last Rear Wheel Drive Corona was the T140 which was discontinued in 1989. (as per Wikipedia...)

coronast140.th.jpg

The Last Rear Wheel Drive Corona was the T140 which was discontinued in 1989. (as per Wikipedia...)

coronast140.th.jpg

the Carina Coupe of that vintage wasn't altogether rubbish to look at :)

hmmm it just got me thinking - totally unlikely, but a far out there kinda thought...

what it the Toyota engine on that BMW is a 4AGE ? :huh:

:lol:

Hi Guys thanks for the replies. I found a 2.5L 6 in line Z4 engine and a E36 2L 6 in line engine for 1.4 lacks. Is it possible to swap a E36 Engine in to a E30? What would be the cost like?

This car is a Modgaged car. And it's at one of my friends place. The oener is not paying so they are selling the car. The current situation is that they are willing to give the car for 500k with the German engine. I can even get it for like 4.75 lacks. Guys i really like this car. Please advice the best solution.

dsc06002.jpg

14032009542.jpg

14032009546.jpg

Hi Guys thanks for the replies. I found a 2.5L 6 in line Z4 engine and a E36 2L 6 in line engine for 1.4 lacks. Is it possible to swap a E36 Engine in to a E30? What would be the cost like?

This car is a Modgaged car. And it's at one of my friends place. The oener is not paying so they are selling the car. The current situation is that they are willing to give the car for 500k with the German engine. I can even get it for like 4.75 lacks. Guys i really like this car. Please advice the best solution.

How much did you say one of those engines was going to cost? your post says 14 lacks (1.4 Million) is that the correct price?

Im sure the engine swap can be done, but it wont end there... If i remember correctly, the six cylinder engines require different gearboxes and rear axles to the four cylinder motor that was originally on this car... and by the time you sort that lot out, you'll have wayy exceeded the cost of the very best original E30 in town!!!

Remember, E30's aren't exactly ultra rare cars, there are plenty of them around , and in the current market situ, you can pick up a really nice one for not a lot of money. The key thing mate is to be a little patient.

In my opinion, you should leave THIS particular car alone. 475 is not a low enough price when you consider the rest of the work that remains to be done on the car.

and i noticed something else. although the car has a late registration its one of the chrome bumpered pre face lift models. i'm not the sort of person who encourages buying facelifted models. but in this case there was very little cosmetic changes done to the car and it transformed its looks from an early 80s cars to that of a 90s. plus considering the age of these models you are better off going for a facelifted model cos most of the niggles of the original would have been sorted out. and parts would probably be a lot easier to find as well

How much did you say one of those engines was going to cost? your post says 14 lacks (1.4 Million) is that the correct price?

Im sure the engine swap can be done, but it wont end there... If i remember correctly, the six cylinder engines require different gearboxes and rear axles to the four cylinder motor that was originally on this car... and by the time you sort that lot out, you'll have wayy exceeded the cost of the very best original E30 in town!!!

Remember, E30's aren't exactly ultra rare cars, there are plenty of them around , and in the current market situ, you can pick up a really nice one for not a lot of money. The key thing mate is to be a little patient.

In my opinion, you should leave THIS particular car alone. 475 is not a low enough price when you consider the rest of the work that remains to be done on the car.

It is 140k sir. The gearbox is included in the Engine. It's a Semi Automatic as i recall. Can one like find a E30 for 700k? With original parts.

Which year do you think this car is? The owner says it is a 1980 but registered in 1995.

It is 140k sir. The gearbox is included in the Engine. It's a Semi Automatic as i recall. Can one like find a E30 for 700k? With original parts.

Which year do you think this car is? The owner says it is a 1980 but registered in 1995.

ah ok... that's a good price, is that for the 2.5L or the 2L? By the way, even though the gearbox is included, it still definitely wouldnt be compatible with the standard 316 Rear Axle... so you'll have to find a compatible Axle/Differential Assembly.... that isnt easy.

Well It definitely cant be a 1980 machan, because the E30 was produced from '84-'91

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_E30

The normal asking range for E30's range from about 675k to around 900k depending on number, conditions, options etc... With the current state of the car market, bargains can be had if one is patient. I would say that 750-800k will get you a really nice example.