• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Scenic Roads In Sri Lanka

ferrarif50

Kiribathgoda to Rajagiriya...every day in the bus :medium-smiley-005:

driving through nawala road is quite a spine tingling prospect at times. my dad still tells me stories of how cars used to come crashing into their driveway at the bend close to kirimandala mw.

anyways since we are talking about scenic road has anyone noticed that you get a great view of colombo here n there while driving along nawala road? i could see further than bmich from our old house. i think only hill street in dehiwala comes close to offering a better view.

by the way has anyone caught a glimpse of adam's peak driving up the overhead bridge at dematagoda on early spring mornings? its a truly majestic sight

by the way has anyone caught a glimpse of adam's peak driving up the overhead bridge at dematagoda on early spring mornings? its a truly majestic sight

Yeah...I see that most of the time. in my school days we use to see it from the Kelani Bridge..its a great site to see B)and if u look to your right you can see the beautiful view of the Bloomandal Grabage dump..its taller that adams peak :P

Edited by tharindu6

driving through nawala road is quite a spine tingling prospect at times. my dad still tells me stories of how cars used to come crashing into their driveway at the bend close to kirimandala mw.

i totally forgot that corner was where it was when travelling late one night - [ one of the very rare times (or rather the only time!) i've ever felt afraid behind the wheenl of the Defender ]

went into the bend way too fast ~ 4WD understeer ~ too much body roll ~ an oncoming Defender which had also misjudged the bend and was veering onto my side of the road! :(

near miss

I think there is already a thread on AL dedicated to the best driving roads in Sri Lanka, but in case anybody wants to check it out, the 12 km stretch of road from Ginigathena Road to Nawalapitiya is in absolutely phenomenal shape and a truly world-class drivers road. Seriously, it's like the Nurburgring and Rallye San Remo combined. :)

Ok I just realized that this thread is more about SCENIC roads, but I'll let my comment stand. As for scenic roads, it doesn't get better than the twisty special stage from Pattipola to World's End. Amazing views from up there.

Edited by KLM

i always liked the drive toward independance square...but now that it's turned one-way out it's not that great...but before, it was a very imposing site when going toward the square

also the road from hatton to nuwara-eliya is very scenic..the road is bad but you get to see some breathtaking sites like the st.claire falls...

and there is about one 1km stretch of road covered with trees right after you pass kurunegala(when going toward anuradhapura)....there is a another exactly one like that,some distance ahead...

i totally forgot that corner was where it was when travelling late one night - [ one of the very rare times (or rather the only time!) i've ever felt afraid behind the wheenl of the Defender ]

went into the bend way too fast ~ 4WD understeer ~ too much body roll ~ an oncoming Defender which had also misjudged the bend and was veering onto my side of the road! :(

near miss

i would have not liked u as much had u crashed into our house that night :lol:

I think there is already a thread on AL dedicated to the best driving roads in Sri Lanka, but in case anybody wants to check it out, the 12 km stretch of road from Ginigathena Road to Nawalapitiya is in absolutely phenomenal shape and a truly world-class drivers road. Seriously, it's like the Nurburgring and Rallye San Remo combined. :)

Ok I just realized that this thread is more about SCENIC roads, but I'll let my comment stand. As for scenic roads, it doesn't get better than the twisty special stage from Pattipola to World's End. Amazing views from up there.

spot on mate! i knew it starts at ginigathena, but couldnt remember where it leads to. my dad drove our family through that road in a noah many many years ago. sitting on the passenger seat of a not at all sporty car i still felt the excitement of a great driving road on that stretch. the view wasnt half bad either

I love that road from Ginigathhena upto Nuwaraeliya. Also not to forget the cahin of roads heading towards Maskeliya/Sripada from hatton, not the best in condition though.

One more is the laxapana road which you can reach dikoya after passing 2 small beautiful reservoirs.

Need to go on the road form ratnapura to bandarawela. Didn't get the chance after it was done-up.

Ditto that.. Travelled down that road two months back (unfortunately as a passenger) and wanting to take my car up there ever since.. Does anybody know the state of the Gampola Nuwaraeliya road. Couldn't go that way since it was remade. Must be in quite a good shape.

From my experience regarding the best roads to drive on, the stretch from Ambalanthota to Kataragama via Weerawila and Tissmaharama is not too bad either. Now they are upgrading it and would be drivers dream before long..

Need to go on the road form ratnapura to bandarawela. Didn't get the chance after it was done-up.

Do it mate. Its great. We went in an Alfa 2 Litre ( GTAm) and two Mazdas and it was superb.

Will be even better on a nice CBR 1000 ! or even a babyblade lol.

Devinda ........300 Z ...........yummy.

Hey I will start a new thread for our AL Club?

Gampola - N'Eliya road is now in perfect shape.

Wow nice to hear.. :jumping-smiley-013: Planning to drive up to Nuwaraeliya somewhere around the end of March. Was thinking of taking the Ginigathhena-Hatton-N'eliya road because of the better scenery. But tempted to try out the route via Gampola now.. :rolleyes:

Do it mate. Its great. We went in an Alfa 2 Litre ( GTAm) and two Mazdas and it was superb.

Yup, Planning it for this April holidays. sometimes may be earlier.

Does anybody know the state of the Gampola Nuwaraeliya road. Couldn't go that way since it was remade. Must be in quite a good shape.

the Gampola Nuwareliya road is great! The Ramboda area is the best. here is a pic of that tunnel

1009947zh0.th.jpg

Just one more pic captured on the way to Beragala from Bandarawela.

1009901yu8.th.jpg

after reading all this and the other posts on the classics thread i'm begning to feel rather left out having never ever been on any of those upcountry roads! :(

Hey Dev now's the time to hit the road for a drive. Being such a small country there are enough & more places to go, that's what i love so much about this country.

Can remember Dimantha posting some beautiful pics few months back of some nice locations.

Rulshan, thanks for mentioning that route. can include this for our next trip.

Edited by dinosh