• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Why I Hate Driving In Sl

Gummybr

I have been driving since the age of 18. And this is my hate list when it comes to driving in Sri Lanka.

1. People who do not change the beam when a vehicle is approaching you. For those who dont its pretty annoying when you have a light at your eyes, please use the low beam

2. Impatient drivers (specially taxi drivers) - I actually stopped on the middle of the road to teach an idiot a lesson on flower road, he was trying to overtake the traffic on the wrong side of the road so I stopped my car right in the middle so he had to stop in front of me and let the rest go till he could get back onto the lane, and the fellow started blasting me.

3. Three Wheel guys who thinks that they own the whole road., why cant they just let the faster traffic move when the roads are open.

4. People who do not stick to their lanes ( specially the people who try to keep the white line in the middle of the car there by preventing anyone to overtake)

5. When the traffic is on, people who try to overtake from the wrong side ther by push you into the middle of the road when they cant go further.

6. Bus drivers who do not check to see if there is traffic coming from behind when pulling onto the road from bus stops.

7. Bus drivers who hoot their horns for no reason.

8. People who do not overtake you after you let them pass on open stretches and keep on honking.

9. Woman drivers (ok not all) have a issue with them as they think that they are driving massive vehicles when its only the size of a Maruti. There are men who drive like that as well.

10. People who overtake you in the middle of traffic and dont move when the traffic eases.

11. People who do not keep up with the rest of the traffic and try to go at snail pace, while on the phone or etc.

12. Who thinks the best speed in the wet is 20kmph., come on..... You wont skid if you pay attention to the road and keep a safe distance from the car ahead. This can annoy the guy behind and lead him to loosing his concentration.

13. Bus drivers who think they own the whole road cos they sit so high up and overtake vehicles at their whim not giving a damn about oncoming traffic., you see me you move off the road attitude.

14. Cops, the main reason for traffic... I was stuck behind one car trying to get onto Galle Road from St Anthony's Mw for 45 minutes just cos the other side of the road was closed whereas I just needed to go on the land side., I had to disobey the Police officer and use the pavement to get onto the Galle Road to get to office.

:violent-smiley-030:

Well thats about it., would like to hear your lists.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

* Bikers who weave through the vehicles berely to get to the front when you're stopped at traffic lights only to be overtaken by everyone when the lights turn green.

* Ricers who think everyone on the road is challenging them to a "drag".

* People who stop their engines at trffic lights,only to waste more time/fuel getting it started.

* Cops who have no common sense or sympathy.

*When im stoped at colorlight motorcyclist try to cross to otherside infront of me,

*People who driving middle of the road and not giving space anyone to overtake

*Cars with loud exhaust and a big spoiler try to race with me for no reason

*when the green light is on people infront of me moving like snails

*Tuk Tuks not letn me overtake them and try to block me ( they think they the godlike and no one can overtake them)

*car shock sencer elam sounding always in some parked cars for no reason,

*when stuck at traffic people honk behind for no reason

*people opening their car doors without thiking the vehicle parked on road

*cars, vans, busses and tuks with loud exhaust and thinking they driving a sports car, speed and crash

*people who not moving their vehicles out of the road even after small accidents

*when a girl in pasanger seat and if the window is open, stupid idiots try to put their heads in to the car

*cops near signal lights, whats the use ?

I have to add yesterday 5 vehicles met with an accident at Attidiya and 2 people in serious condition, as i heard Honda with loud exhaust and a big spoiler doing a high speed drive and hit 4 vehicles, cus of this when the people see a real sports car they curse at them thinking another ricer

* People who stop their engines at trffic lights,only to waste more time/fuel getting it started.

actually, i beg to differ on this... even i do it at times.. there are some traffic lights that i always go across, and depending on what lane of traffic has the green you can know at what time you'll get you're green. And the new countdown timers are also placed to let people kill their engines for long lights and prepare to move in time. For example some lights like the one near the nugegoda supermarket has a 120second red light. So killing the engine at those seemed more logical to me. plus if you start about 5 seconds before it turns green you dont disrupt traffic flow...

how about...

>motorists who pull up in front of you knowing you'll have to slow down and also make everybody else behind you slow down. and worse still not start accelerating hard to match traffic speeds or to give us space to surpass them without having to slow down much.

>people who drive recklessly hovering around you when you are riding with a fit lady passenger

>rubbernecking at the scene of an accident or for something irrelevant to the task of driving.

>people driving along the fast lane doing 3 mph and refusing to change lanes to let you pass leaving you no choice but to undertake them.

>bus drivers who pull out to overtake you when the roads clear, sitting on their horn to comprehend for the slow acceleration, with 10 passengers standing on doors with their arms sticking out.

>drivers less courteous than you

>drivers who never ever indicate before slowing down to turn

>people who get excited when they see a fancy/rare/exciting car and try to race you even when u r not trying. (this happens even when you drive a land rover)

>pedestrians who jump in front of you on a crossing expecting you to stop no matter how fast you are going or how far away you are from the crossing.

>people who try to bully us using bigger vehicles

>materialistic cops

...and worst of all not being able to maintain a certain speed for long cos someone always cuts you in, jumps in front of you, slow down abruptly for absolutely no reason whatsoever, thereby making sri lanka possibly the worst country to try an achieve good mpg figures.

> Three wheeler buggers who got only 150CC engines try to overtake Cars / other big vehicles and when they do, wont let others pass / overtake them.. :violent-smiley-099:

> Pedestrians start crossing the road just after the lights turn into GREEN..

> When a Biker get knocked due to his reckless riding. people try to put the blame on the person who drives the bigger vehicle that Biker got knocked out. and the Biker fella turned out to be 100% innocent saint all of a sudden... lol..

Edited by Ruslan

...and worst of all not being able to maintain a certain speed for long cos someone always cuts you in, jumps in front of you, slow down abruptly for absolutely no reason whatsoever, thereby making sri lanka possibly the worst country to try an achieve good mpg figures.

Well this is something so true., has any of you guys managed to get close to the claimed manufacturers or road testers (ok it brit road tests like autocar and topgear) mpg / kmpl in Sri Lanka??

Let me ad one more thing., supposedly modified running with very slim tyres which in no way match the look of the vehicle and also the awful looking cars with body kits, not a good sight.

Gearhead, if they gave us permission to carry a gun in SL I cant count how many I would have killed by now.

atleast you guys wouldnt get stabbed, shot or punched in the face if you accidently beep at somebody.. :P

Accidentally peeping is one thing – just driving with the mad hatters is another as Gummybr has very nicely summarised almost all the points ( U can never end the list – it just keeps adding ) – besides u can get shot at or stabbed and so forth here in SL as well - One goon in a Pajero did show me a revolver for not letting him cut in – I’m sure I’m goanna get shot or a heart attack soon

Seriously U'r dam lucky to be driving there in Ausi- When did u last come down to SL & drive ???? :)

Accidentally peeping is one thing – just driving with the mad hatters is another as Gummybr has very nicely summarised almost all the points ( U can never end the list – it just keeps adding ) – besides u can get shot at or stabbed and so forth here in SL as well - One goon in a Pajero did show me a revolver for not letting him cut in – I’m sure I’m goanna get shot or a heart attack soon

Seriously U'r dam lucky to be driving there in Ausi- When did u last come down to SL & drive ???? :)

not too long ago machan...came to aussie about 7 months ago bro. Yup i also thought i was lucky to be driving here but later on i noticed that the drivers here are far more aggressive than most of the SL buggers. What normally happens in SL is that you exchange some nice words taken from 'malalasekera dictionary' :D and then drive off or beep several times to show your anger. But here there was this old guys who honked at some young aussie bogan when he cut right infront of him and at the next traffic light he got his window smashed along with the punch in the face.Thats just one story..

But yea if you ignore those di*k heads and drive safely then no worries. You dont have to worry about any 3wheel buggers,bus drivers and all other idiots that you guys have mentioned above... :)

In SL i always kept my distance from the big SUVs...only god knows whos in them. Would you mind telling us more about the revolver story? this happened in CMB? :)

not too long ago machan...came to aussie about 7 months ago bro. Yup i also thought i was lucky to be driving here but later on i noticed that the drivers here are far more aggressive than most of the SL buggers. What normally happens in SL is that you exchange some nice words taken from 'malalasekera dictionary' :D and then drive off or beep several times to show your anger. But here there was this old guys who honked at some young aussie bogan when he cut right infront of him and at the next traffic light he got his window smashed along with the punch in the face.Thats just one story..

But yea if you ignore those di*k heads and drive safely then no worries. You dont have to worry about any 3wheel buggers,bus drivers and all other idiots that you guys have mentioned above... :)

In SL i always kept my distance from the big SUVs...only god knows whos in them. Would you mind telling us more about the revolver story? this happened in CMB? :)

u remember the test runs we did at bellanwila road ? :D

so is that what happens in the 'land' where "Where women glow and men plunder" ? :lol:

:D you got it spot on bro..

its good fun in summer thanks to those glowing individuals that you have mentioned in yo post... :lol:

Edited by GearHead

Ya U said it- No 3 Wheelers, Mad bus drivers missing is a big thing – B) Well nothing much rather He was trying to cut in from the right side in a narrow 2 lane with another vehicle coming the opposite direction – & I Did’nt give in - my friend is the one who has seen him pull the revolver but did’t tell me till the next day thinking I would get worked up as I was already worked up :D cus he was truying to cut in in the traffic whilst all the other were nicly in a Q waiting to go home

*When im stoped at colorlight motorcyclist try to cross to otherside infront of me,

thats the biggest cause of my foul language behind the wheel so far. they are queue bargers, they usually got their engines switched off so its 2 hours before then set off when the lights turn green, and when they finally do my hair has grown 6" before they get upto speed.

Machan, What do you suggest to do when a guy just trying to pull the vehicle in front of you coming nowhere?

I'm lost, it happens to me most of the time when i'm in a traffic lights. I used to stop my vehicle very close to the front vehicle. (I know i need to keep a gap) but, some I*iots comes and trying to pull in. once, one of my friends got hit and has to bare the blame since he hit the rear bumper of the SUV when he start moving. luckly, his brother works at some police station in Clombo and sorted out the problem.

Man, i need a strong metal bumper in my front shell. <_<

Machan, What do you suggest to do when a guy just trying to pull the vehicle in front of you coming nowhere?

I'm lost, it happens to me most of the time when i'm in a traffic lights. I used to stop my vehicle very close to the front vehicle. (I know i need to keep a gap) but, some I*iots comes and trying to pull in. once, one of my friends got hit and has to bare the blame since he hit the rear bumper of the SUV when he start moving. luckly, his brother works at some police station in Clombo and sorted out the problem.

Man, i need a strong metal bumper in my front shell. <_<

drive a car with offset wheels.

no one will get close to u. and if someone ever does you can leave a fine layer rubber on their bodywork along with a possible dent

drive a car with offset wheels.

no one will get close to u. and if someone ever does you can leave a fine layer rubber on their bodywork along with a possible dent

Ideal. But aren't offset wheels are bad for the axle and suspension. If not I'm definitely gonna go for them.