• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Diesel Conversion

raveen

Question

Hi Guys,

I have a Daihatsu Charade G12 Petrol car (Not EFI, its a Carb Model) and I thought of converting the petrol engine into a diesel one. Anyone here use a diesel converted vehicle? what are the pros & disadvantages?

My current petrol engine isn't 100% perfect so will it be worth doing a conversion ????? Do I have to change the number plate? Will I get a Fresh english number or?...

tnx :-)

LOL evrytin is ok except the make "gemini" hehe :P hey good photography dude. u got the talent.. u doin graphic designing? btw thankz for tht long interesting conversion story which will be useful for everyone, u liv @ goonatilake av. ye? ;-)

yep, that'd be me :) flattering to know that i'm this popular :D

Raveen, do i know you?

And thanks for the complements on the photography... automotive photography is my favorite area :)

Edited by Dilesh

btw dilesh can u please tell me what sort of duties you faced when importing that diesel engine to sri lanka?

If i remember right it wasnt much... like a few thousand if i remember right.. since it was used didnt look very valuable :D and my dad had got the guy at the yard there to sprinkle some old engine oil on it to give it an 'older' look... ;)

And there was some paperwork needed like a receipt of payment from the engine seller needed when getting it through the customs, cos the receipt like thing the customs issues is needed at the RMV when registering the vehicle.

If i remember right it wasnt much... like a few thousand if i remember right.. since it was used didnt look very valuable :D and my dad had got the guy at the yard there to sprinkle some old engine oil on it to give it an 'older' look... ;)

And there was some paperwork needed like a receipt of payment from the engine seller needed when getting it through the customs, cos the receipt like thing the customs issues is needed at the RMV when registering the vehicle.

thanks mate! hope this will help when i'm importing my hayabusa engine B)

anybody know the history of this car?... http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=9225

Well I have some info about this car. What and why do you want to know?

I personally don’t think it’s a good initiative to talk about cars advertised here. Not ethical. Inequitable. Unless one sees something really weird.

Food for thought!

MINIACE

Well, it started off when my father went to india on a sight-seeing trip and rented a Indica over there (where almost all indicas are diesel). He gave me a call and asked me to check with D*MO on how feasible a conversion would be. At that time an indian engineering was there and he told me that it'd be fairly straight forward since both the diesel and petrol engine blocks were the same. That meant no worried about engine mounts etc etc. So my father found a used diesel engine and shipped it over here. Engine and transmission came to around 30k if i remember right and he also bought an entire overhaul kit (pistons razors gaskets and all) for like 8k from a Tata agent there. (But after the engine came down and was checked out it didnt need an overhaul)

Then we bought a Indica here for around 925,000.

Ran it for 2-3 days and then started off on the conversion. It was done by a mechanic who my father has been going to for a long time and he's a pretty trustworthy guy..So basically we pulled out the engine and put in the diesel. We used the transmission from the petrol cos we felt there was nothing wrong with it (though gear ratios were slightly different). Ran for a while and felt it really didnt have the kick that we wanted. was a kind of stale drive.. like stepping on wet bread... By this time Tata had introduced a turbocharged intercooled version of this engine. So went ahead and bought a used turbo unit and a new intercooler and fitted those two.. had a an improvement.

Ran a few months and the car started giving a weird issue. As soon as you start the engine it would cut out. Couldnt figure out what on earth it was. Took it to D*MO too and they diagnosed it to be a diesel pump issue. D*Mo diesel room worked on it still showed no remedy. Then as we were all pondering standing around the car one day another D*MO mechanic came over and said that it might be the catalytic converter. and it was! what had happened was that the diesel soot had got collected in the cat-con and was blocking the exhaust path, and pressure built up between cat-con and engine and when it had no-where else to go it just stalled the engine. So they just broke up the inside of the cat-con and it worked like a charm. And then my father thought of trying out the diesel transmission and we cleaned it up ad fitted it. it was just RIGHT. Ran like a charm and still does. So i think it was the transmission to begin with. The car has been running without a issue since. :)

So basically the conversion was a matter of pulling out the petrol engine and transmission and putting in the diesel one. And like i said before Tata's decision to sue the same block for both engines meant almost identical weight, hence no suspension replacement issues.

Thanks Dilesh for the details.Good info for my next project :)

MINIACE

Well I have some info about this car. What and why do you want to know?

I personally don’t think it’s a good initiative to talk about cars advertised here. Not ethical. Inequitable. Unless one sees something really weird.

Food for thought!

MINIACE

sorry...won't do it again

Edited by HelRazor

Raveen, I remember my cousin had a Diesel Charade and it was a load of troubles. Think it was an original diesel. In my opinion petrol engines are much better for a car of that size. If you are used to driving petrol cars you will immediately feel the vibrations of the diesel engine and you may not like it.

Again, to make a saving on fuel by converting to diesel you need to be running the car a lot. otherwise the conversion cost and the maintenance cost may not be re-accrued. Better think about these as well.

Good luck.

Edited by isam