• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Headlight Bulbs Burn Very Frequentlyl

TharakaWi

Question

My head light bulbs very frequently - like once in two weeks!!! - especially at the passenger side. I took to few places, but none of them could figure out...

1. any ideas wht this happens (in case any of u have come across this)?

2. do u guys know any good vehicle electrical place somewhere in bamba, nugegoda, colepitty, kirolapona etc.

thanks in advance

My head light bulbs very frequently - like once in two weeks!!! - especially at the passenger side. I took to few places, but none of them could figure out...

2. do u guys know any good vehicle electrical place somewhere in bamba, nugegoda, colepitty, kirolapona etc.

thanks in advance

how about taking it to Pala Elec****...

some members seem to have had good experience with them...

If it's only one side...maybe there's a wiring issue..like a short circuit or summin!

If it happens to both sides, maybe your voltage regulator is not doing a good job and might need fixing/replacement...

I agreed with tharindu6. Don't use cheap head lights. If possible you can move in to PIAA head lights (http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs.html). Its a good brand. But little expensive.

I am also find a PIAA agent in SL. I will get back to you ASAP once I get those details. :)

Machang prami pls check if you can find an agent here in SL..want to put a good pair of bulbs for my car too...let me knw when u buy them. :jumping-smiley-013:

Machang prami pls check if you can find an agent here in SL..want to put a good pair of bulbs for my car too...let me knw when u buy them. :jumping-smiley-013:

tharindu6, ill try my best machan.

Interim you can try it from ebay (http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=PIAA+headlights&_sacat=See-All-Categories)

Will do our best. :)

Thanks everyone for all the replies...

I will try Pala soon... Seems like it's a good place.

About the quality of the bulbs i used - Each bulb actually costed me around 600, and they said that they are v.good. I took this to few electrical places, none of them could really figure out the issue. This problems comes in both sides, however - the effect is more on the passenger side (i have replaced more bulbs in passenger side).

i wil keep u guys updated

thanks in advance

Perhaps there's a problem in your voltage system which is causing the system to have higher than normal voltages when running?

If the battery is failing for example and the voltage regulator on the alternator isn't good, this could happen in theory?

After a drive, pull into your driveway, leave engine running and hook a voltmeter - see the voltage?

Also, take the car to Pala. They are quite good in electrical work, as far as I know..

PIAA is not available in SL to my knowledge...

careful if you're buying off ebay cos there are lotsa "fakes"....

A decent compromise is a bulb brand called "Narva"... Made in Germany and available at MK...

I think "Sharkster" also have them, I've also been having them for over two years now :)

Another good brand is "Polarg"... much more $$$ than the Narvas...

A decent compromise is a bulb brand called "Narva"... Made in Germany and available at MK...

I think "Sharkster" also have them, I've also been having them for over two years now :)

MotorCade prices in Super White H4 bulbs as follows:

Narva - Rs. 1500.00

Polarg - Rs. 9500.00 (Japanese)

I Use Narva myself....have so for the last year an a half, no problems so far,and they light up the road well. :rolleyes:

Spent a 1000 for both at the time. Not from M/C tho. A friend bought the Narva at M/C recently and is very happy

with their lighting abilty he he.

Tharaka, could your problem be with the holder not being able to handle the bulb strength? Did you upgrade the buld from

what it originally had? But then if you've show it to several elctric guys they woulda spotted it ne?

Anyway hope you sort it out soon, not the best thing running a car with faulty electrics.........words from a song come to mind...'burn baby burn'....lol.

All the best.

Edited by SHAI

Anyway hope you sort it out soon, not the best thing running a car with faulty electrics.........words from a song come to mind...'burn baby burn'....lol.

All the best.

heard of such horror stories!

lesson to take home : if you want to be keep things dodgy,always keep a fire extinguisher handy! :lol:

Perhaps there's a problem in your voltage system which is causing the system to have higher than normal voltages when running?

If the battery is failing for example and the voltage regulator on the alternator isn't good, this could happen in theory?

After a drive, pull into your driveway, leave engine running and hook a voltmeter - see the voltage?

Also, take the car to Pala. They are quite good in electrical work, as far as I know..

I tried this... it seems battery voltage seems to be fine :unsure:

I Use Narva myself....have so for the last year an a half, no problems so far,and they light up the road well. :rolleyes:

Spent a 1000 for both at the time. Not from M/C tho. A friend bought the Narva at M/C recently and is very happy

with their lighting abilty he he.

Tharaka, could your problem be with the holder not being able to handle the bulb strength? Did you upgrade the buld from

what it originally had? But then if you've show it to several elctric guys they woulda spotted it ne?

All the best.

I didn't replace the holders. Basically didn't do any changes. But the previous owner may have done, - coz from the day I got my car, I have been having this issue. (for 4 months! - i know i am so bad, still couldn't get this thing fixed. just didn't have time, work + studies :blink: )

Thanks for advice mahcan.

I will somehow find time and go whithin next two weeks. I'll keep update the forum as soon as i find the solution...

I tried this... it seems battery voltage seems to be fine :unsure:

well when you idle and when you rev up...there will be a voltage difference... each car model has it's own setting and if my memory serves me right...for my car...it shouldn't got beyond 14.6volts or something like that...

So when you check the battery voltage...ideally you should take 3 reading IMHO

1.when the motor is off...the voltage between the terminals

2.when the car is idling

3.motor is revved up a bit...

Some car manuals will give you a voltage reading for a set RPM value...

well when you idle and when you rev up...there will be a voltage difference... each car model has it's own setting and if my memory serves me right...for my car...it shouldn't got beyond 14.6volts or something like that...

So when you check the battery voltage...ideally you should take 3 reading IMHO

1.when the motor is off...the voltage between the terminals

2.when the car is idling

3.motor is revved up a bit...

Some car manuals will give you a voltage reading for a set RPM value...

one more reading if i'm not mistaken, after switching on all components rather most frequent components... high beam (fogs if any), A/C with fan in full blast

cheap way of advertising mate.. provide some expertise and prove yourself before jumping in like this

at firs i though you were being a bit rude...then i saw this bugger pasting the same bloody contact in multiple threads all relating to electrical stuff...

when somebody goes out of their way to such an extent...there's something odd with that innit... :P

best to keep away from this joint!!!!

at firs i though you were being a bit rude...then i saw this bugger pasting the same bloody contact in multiple threads all relating to electrical stuff...

when somebody goes out of their way to such an extent...there's something odd with that innit... :P

best to keep away from this joint!!!!

well, no wonder you found it rude :rolleyes: When I was going through the list of updated topics I've seen this strange user ID replied only with this piece of information, which is purely advertising and cheap way of doing it. Had he provided some expertise and indirectly promoting could've been tolerated.

Hi guys... I went to the P*la Auto Electricals last Friday. As most of you guys said, they were good at figuring out the issue. the issue was when i switch on the head-lights - both filaments (both dim and head) were lighting! I am v. pleased they figured it out and fixed. :)

But the cost!!! - it cost me over 6k for that. It included 2.2k worth of goods purchases (bulbls, and a small circuit etc) , 1k for light cleaning, and a staggering 3k of service charge!

I personally believe 3k of service charge is way over the normal price... so the bug is fixed. but with a considerably high cost... I won't recommend this place unless nobody else can fix it.

Hi guys... I went to the P*la Auto Electricals last Friday. As most of you guys said, they were good at figuring out the issue. the issue was when i switch on the head-lights - both filaments (both dim and head) were lighting! I am v. pleased they figured it out and fixed. :)

But the cost!!! - it cost me over 6k for that. It included 2.2k worth of goods purchases (bulbls, and a small circuit etc) , 1k for light cleaning, and a staggering 3k of service charge!

I personally believe 3k of service charge is way over the normal price... so the bug is fixed. but with a considerably high cost... I won't recommend this place unless nobody else can fix it.

Hi Tharaka,

Well my two cents, if you had just continued running with the issue, you'd have simply busted 3K within the next 3 months replacing 6 bulbs as you have mentioned in the thread. Well may be they've charged you for the expertise & for the spot-on detection of the issue which the others failed mate. Well me not promoting or supporting this place but almost 2 years back when I just bought my car I got many recommendations thru the forum & took it to them. I still remember I walked in as a guy with zero knowledge on the electricals & these guys did a marvellous job in detecting & fixing. I had many issues such as wiring of thermostat set-up, headlight & exhaust fan plus many replacement of parts such as thermostat, bulbs & circuits. It took one full-day but 2 years back it cost me too 6K (the split was 4K for parts & 2K for labour/services) But I was very satisfied with the job because of the quality & concentration which most of the other places fail nowadays.

Anyways great to hear that your issue is sorted & Im sure you might be feeling contented too B)