• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bmw E30 316i 1989 Model - Maintainence And Care Tips

Smiley

R.L ;)

but this can't be his - that wasn't a 4 pot was it.. :unsure:

Hmm yeah that's what I was always confused about...thought that was a 2.5L I6, but this looks an awful lot like that one. Never saw it under the hood or the exhaust pipe to tell (the I6 has 2 pipes sticking out at a bit of an angle as opposed to the single pipe on the I4s).

Hmm yeah that's what I was always confused about...thought that was a 2.5L I6, but this looks an awful lot like that one. Never saw it under the hood or the exhaust pipe to tell (the I6 has 2 pipes sticking out at a bit of an angle as opposed to the single pipe on the I4s).

i met him just last week , but he didn't say anything about having gotten rid of it - made mention of BM's in plural during some part of the conversation so i assumed that he still had both with him..

i met him just last week , but he didn't say anything about having gotten rid of it - made mention of BM's in plural during some part of the conversation so i assumed that he still had both with him..

Yes Devinda... I had the priviledge of donning both Jersey's... :blush: how did you figure it out it was me???

Saw a couple on eBay machan, was wondering if it was reliable??? Any places in SL?

Depends machan, i have got down couple of emblems for my Toyota from US sellers and they look authentic. try look for power sellers and got a good reputation (Feedback) on eBay.

Yes Devinda... I had the priviledge of donning both Jersey's... :blush: how did you figure it out it was me???

the email address gave it away :)

i recall having a profile with the same names come up on the friend suggestion thingy on the FB main page - i don't forget a face that easily (can't say the same for most names though :( ) but just went on from there and put two n two together! :lol:

doubt you remember me from college - was a coupla years your junior

the email address gave it away :)

i recall having a profile with the same names come up on the friend suggestion thingy on the FB main page - i don't forget a face that easily (can't say the same for most names though :( ) but just went on from there and put two n two together! :lol:

doubt you remember me from college - was a coupla years your junior

Ahhh... I see :D I know what you mean, Im good with faces, really bad with names..

I most probably will remember you if I see you machan... lol

• 1 year later...
Hey GTAm... My ride has been maintained by Milroy since the day it was imported to SL. Im taking it for a check up next week, coz there are a few faults which I need to iron out... I think the silence has a small leak, plus I was hoping to get the engine tuned up, coz it revs a bit too much when the car is on idle. :unsure:

Also do any of you guys have a Fuse Box diagram for the E30 316i model? If you do please share it with me... [email protected]

Tx!

One last thing... Please give me a heads up on the costing for a Tune up and service... :)

Hey Smiley

Hope your purchase from me has been good and awesome !!! I took care it and it was in mint condition and had all you need to have and know including the user manual !!! :)

Btw, I used 95 octane throughout my usage. Never switched to anything below 95. Its better on the performance and also runs smoother than 90.

Hope to see it sometime and take it for a spin !

Cheers

Ha! I know this car! Not too many around, so I'm pretty sure it used to belong to a good friend of mine...he told me that he sold it recently, so probably the one. The guy babied that car so I'm pretty sure there aren't any bad secrets hiding under the skin! I believe the guy I'm speaking of lives around Mattakuliya and has a BMW E36 too? In my opinion he should've kept the E30 and sold the E36, but your gain from that I guess!

Hmm, as for the odometer I really hope it's the cable for your sake. How did it turn out? These things do have a tendency to get wiring issues around the instrument cluster...the light for my rev counter stopped working, and the brake lining light always comes on. I'm certain it is wiring..hope it's the same in your case.

ucscsades !

Whoever you are cheers !!! Spot on ! Yes I had both and had to let go of this :)

• 3 years later...

Guys I am in the process of sorting out issues in my newly purchased E30 316i. I didn't ran the car much. But last night I noticed there is a coolant leak some where in side the engine. (I hope it's not the blown up gasket). I could hear the pressure leaking noice.

However what I want to know is that, how does the cooling system works in E30. Because I don't see any overflow/reserviour tank in the system. The pressure cap is located in righ hand side of the radiator and there is no coolant reservoir.

Edited by MkX

Guys I am in the process of sorting out issues in my newly purchased E30 316i. I didn't ran the car much. But last night I noticed there is a coolant leak some where in side the engine. (I hope it's not the blown up gasket). I could hear the pressure leaking noice.

However what I want to know is that, how does the cooling system works in E30. Because I don't see any overflow/reserviour tank in the system. The pressure cap is located in righ hand side of the radiator and there is no coolant reservoir.

AFAIK there should be a separate reservoir/overflow tank, perhaps some genius Sri Lankan baas has disconnected and yanked it out at some point?

that itself is the reserviour and the big philips head scew is the overflow valve. u fill the res and loose the screw so all the extra air bleeds out. for more ref check realoem

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AC12&mospid=47270&btnr=17_0502&hg=17&fg=05

Thanks for the replies guys. I have to go and check it on weekend.

Anyway I am planning to do a complete rebuild of the car. Will update another thread if things go according to the plan. As of now, need to sort out the cluster panel and this coolant leak. Its too early to predict how far I can go.

• 2 years later...

Congrats on the new toy!

In answering,
1.Common prob in Beemers of this vintage. its the instrument binnacle.- non reparable and prob attempted and botched before.

2.Get a new system.Recommend ss. could be due to a blocked cat - replace.

3.Could be the pump.- replace.

4. you can get cheap from bay

Get the front lower arms and the Tbelt looked at

TT.

Edited by Twin Turbo

Congrats on the new toy!

In answering,

1.Common prob in Beemers of this vintage. its the instrument binnacle.- non reparable and prob attempted and botched before.

2.Get a new system.Recommend ss. could be due to a blocked cat - replace.

3.Could be the pump.- replace.

4. you can get cheap from bay

Get the front lower arms and the Tbelt looked at

TT.

Is there a specific reason that you felt the need to respond to a thread last active over two years ago?