• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Camping And 4wd In Coffinbay South Australia

Parak

HI 2 all after long time

We had nice 4 nights camping and sand driving in Coffin bay national park in South Australia. Two vehicles that took us to the destiny were Land Rover Discovery SE and My Suzuki XL 7. Land rover got bogged in the entrance of the national park because of soft sand as well as it was pulling the camper trailer. We gave up camping inside the 4WD teritory and camped in the camping cite just before the start of 4WD track. We made few 4WD trips inside the park without pulling the trailer. Every thing went all good and we managed to explore prestine sheltered beaches and massive sand dunes and the remoteness. We drove through the sand dunes and came to well known surf fishing beach in the park. We tried out luck but ended up with catching only one fish (others were catching 7 to 8 lb Australian Salmon).

It was a nice trip and any body lives in Australia who like to do 4WD and holidaying I recommend Coffin bay is one of the best destination in South Australia. When I get time I load some pictures if you guys are interested

HI 2 all after long time

We had nice 4 nights camping and sand driving in Coffin bay national park in South Australia. Two vehicles that took us to the destiny were Land Rover Discovery SE and My Suzuki XL 7. Land rover got bogged in the entrance of the national park because of soft sand as well as it was pulling the camper trailer. We gave up camping inside the 4WD teritory and camped in the camping cite just before the start of 4WD track. We made few 4WD trips inside the park without pulling the trailer. Every thing went all good and we managed to explore prestine sheltered beaches and massive sand dunes and the remoteness. We drove through the sand dunes and came to well known surf fishing beach in the park. We tried out luck but ended up with catching only one fish (others were catching 7 to 8 lb Australian Salmon).

It was a nice trip and any body lives in Australia who like to do 4WD and holidaying I recommend Coffin bay is one of the best destination in South Australia. When I get time I load some pictures if you guys are interested

Sounds like a really good trip. Please post pics.

hey some people i know who live in aus went there on holiday about 2 years back....heard it was great for fishing and diving...and i've read somewhere that it's population increases by a massive 400% during the holiday season...

Sounds like a really good trip. Please post pics.

Hi Don

I am very slow with Image shack this is a link to some of the snaps

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/6812/coffinbay108oa2.jpg

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/4143/coffinbay152io6.jpg

When I get time I keep putting some other ones

Enjoy

Helrazor

Yes it is highly popular among niche of Australians. People traveling 2000 kms to come down their

is that a suzuki grand vitara i see in the distance....how did it perform on the sand compared to the disco?

I would say pretty good.

The old Suzuki's were good off road and specially on soft sand.

Only problem with the XL7 was the fact that the wheel base was a bit too long considering the fact that the vehicle had a ground clearance of about 180mm.

is that a suzuki grand vitara i see in the distance....how did it perform on the sand compared to the disco?

This discovery got a 2.5 disel engine with a LPG(Autogas) injected through the trurbo. As the vehicle is heavy it needed a longer run-up to get the speed up. Thats why it could not pull the trailer on the sand (even I saw a Landcuiser get boged with a narrow wheeled boat trailer). Actually I fogot to put on 4WD but managed pass through the point discovery bogged with the trailer. Only problem with Suzuki is the low ground clearance (210cm) with a long wheelbase (XL7). But the sand being soft and no any hard obstacles in the middle of the track I have not had a any problem.

I would say pretty good.

The old Suzuki's were good off road and specially on soft sand.

Only problem with the XL7 was the fact that the wheel base was a bit too long considering the fact that the vehicle had a ground clearance of about 180mm.

Yes low ground clearance is a problem but catalog says it is 210 mm(not 180). But I have not had a problem because the sand in the track was soft and no any hard obstacles

Sure would have been a great drive. Post pic's when time permits!

No worries, Check my second reply addressed to Don there are Links to two photos. Keep checking I will post more links

Yes low ground clearance is a problem but catalog says it is 210 mm(not 180). But I have not had a problem because the sand in the track was soft and no any hard obstacles

Sure about that? As I remember the G.Vitara was 210mm compared to the old XL7 with 186mm.

care to elabourate further on this please?

Sorry, I am not a expert on this issue. As the owner said and I have seen he was filling diesel as well as Auto gas from the Servo. This 4WD is a Land Rover Discovery SE 1998 (Owner mentioned that it is more sort of a Suburban version), It is shown in my post "Camping and 4WD in Coffinbay Slide show" If you need to know more of it I can talk to the owener. Any way this is very good on fuel, in the city it runs 10km consuming 1litre of disel and Auto gas (80/20 ratio). That's all I know