• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Noise Restrictions On Cars?

YOHANN

Been stopped more than a few times by police lately, they seem to be looking for an issue and usually start off with "are you drunk" etc etc and finally ends with "your exhaust is too loud" and we have to take you to court.

My car is actually pretty quiet though not exactly in standard trim. Does any one know the real story on this ? How do they decide what loud is? And is it really enforcable in court?

Been stopped more than a few times by police lately, they seem to be looking for an issue and usually start off with "are you drunk" etc etc and finally ends with "your exhaust is too loud" and we have to take you to court.

My car is actually pretty quiet though not exactly in standard trim. Does any one know the real story on this ? How do they decide what loud is? And is it really enforcable in court?

U r talking abt the S15 right?

Tell them those exhausts are manufacturer standard and they comes with the car. If they need any clarification ask them to contact A*W. :action-smiley-060:

Once I was stopped and told my exhausts are too big (in the P11). I asked them to bend and checked the exhaust barrel for the manufacturer name, & told him off :violent-smiley-099: … Mind you, though they are big in size, very quite in noise. (Nismo)

Anyway there is no restriction or redline for exhaust noise levels stipulated in the law. So use a bit of your “ I know the law” attitude if necessary. :rolleyes:

So I recently heard this from a colleague in the Legal occupation...

There is supposedly a impending new ruling/by-law/govt. bill that will stipulate that all cars can be subject to compliance on the following:

1. Loud Exhausts

2. Aftermarket bright/non-standard headlights (ie. blue/xenon-effect headlights)

3. Blinged accessories such as chassis lights, etc

4. etc...(not sure yet)

Not sure how factory spec cars like Evos, STi's will be considered...

Still don't know the details as yet, but looking to get more information.

Basically, the same double standard on petrol vehicles (when it comes to cost of fuel) will now be extended to appearance as well.

Love to see if the cops will stop trishaws and buses that have various add ons etc., but that's just wishful thinking.

Edited by gunat

There is supposedly a impending new ruling/by-law/govt. bill that will stipulate that all cars can be subject to compliance on the following:

1. Loud Exhausts

2. Aftermarket bright/non-standard headlights (ie. blue/xenon-effect headlights)

4. etc...(not sure yet)

Not sure how factory spec cars like Evos, STi's will be considered...

Still don't know the details as yet, but looking to get more information.

Basically, the same double standard on petrol vehicles (when it comes to cost of fuel) will now be extended to appearance as well.

Love to see if the cops will stop trishaws and buses that have various add ons etc., but that's just wishful thinking.

hmm, i have a very loud exhaust, loud blow off valve and aftermarket Xenon HID kit, still no issue with cops

Actually they’ve tried to implement laws on loud exhaust and etc by implementing a new law. One of my cousins was involved in designing the new law, she told me about this first. But that was more than 6 months back. Even that time they were facing loads of complications on the matter. Must have given up…

in the past there was never a law, just public disturbance/nuisance.

now i have been told that the law on modifications has been passed apparently. this is the reason the cops are all gung ho these days on noise. how it is enforced i dont know.

my friend and I got nabbed just a week after this law was passed at GP and it took about an hour to talk him out of it. the usual BS on this is how the car came/comes etc doesn't fly anymore. they say that we have to prove it that's how it came.

if your barrel is shiny and looking nicer than a standard metal exhaust, then it's modified and you will have a time.but usually you will only have this issue in the nights.. and that too late in the night

1. Loud Exhausts

4. etc...(not sure yet)

i was asking about this very same piece of legislation on an earlier thread some months back remember?

i'm led to understand that its an ammendment to the Motor Traffic Act

the last time this came up i recall digging up some info that suggested that the last revision was in 2007 - the original act being close to half a century old! :o

does anyone have any idea if these are merely proposed ammenments or whether or not thse have come into effect and if the cops are empowered to enforce??

it would be great if someone could get hold of the exact document for those on the forum to read and familiarize them selves wiht.....whislt possibly looking for any loopholes in the text :D

My car is actually pretty quiet though not exactly in standard trim. Does any one know the real story on this ? How do they decide what loud is? And is it really enforceable in court?

I’ve had a few run-ins with the law when it comes to this

I’ve had every question thrown at me when they're notably disappointed by the fact that I’m a teetotaller! :lol: - some of these have included an attempt to kick up a fuss over why my car has no roof!!! (T-Tops removed - "Wahalak nathuwa car eka elawanna baa!" was I believe how the accusation was phrased! <_< )

It turns out that as Fuzzo pointed out its more to do with causing a disturbance and some noise ordinance

Bottom line yet remains that they do not have a specified decibel level by which to make a ruling as to what’s legal and what’s not!

"if a police officer suspects that you have a non standard exhaust etc and they you are in fact creating a disturbance he can request you to take the vehicle to the examiner of motor vehicles (@ the RMV :unsure: ) or something to that effect and either prove that the item is in line with manufacturer specifications/stock or else make changes until it has been adjusted to a satisfactory level" - this is the gist of what I was told by a cop the last time I got into a ruckus over this issue..

I moved onto to point out to him that my exhaust system doesn't have a volume controller so "sadde adukaraganna" might not be possible or as easy as he makes it sound!! :angry-smiley-024:

...the quad pipes on the car were also an issue for the officer - 3 more than what I require he deemed in all his wisdom! :rolleyes:

To cut a long story short, the ensuing argument lasting a substantial period of time resulted in my license being removed from my person.. & being presented with a court date!!

By days end the licence was returned with no charges: why?

..it turns out that when the matter was taken up with someone further up the chain of command we were enlightened to the fact that there in fact was no legislation which exclusively specified a decibel level by which to judge (this being the clear difference between an emission test with parameters and scientifically accepted measurement & some arbitrary execution of non existent legislation!)

[the charge was made not because of anything to do with the original issue with the exhaust but merely because I refused to back down decided to take the cop on!! , so later confessed the officer in question :o ]

If it’s purely on noise, then I’m sure we can all nod in agreement that the busses and other such heavy vehicles are the real perpetrators!

So unless and until this new piece of legislation is enacted I personally don't think the cops have anything solid to go on..

But having said that, I can see the cops side of this when someone with riced out car and fart cannon decides to horse around on the public roads thus being a justifiable threat to the safety of others and themselves!

...it’s the cascading effects from those that ultimately land performance car owners in a quandary :(

I’ve had a few run-ins with the law when it comes to this

:lol: - some of these have included an attempt to kick up a fuss over why my car has no roof!!! (T-Tops removed - "Wahalak nathuwa car eka elawanna baa!" was I believe how the accusation was phrased! <_< )

really? a cop said you can't drive without the t-top :o what a nutter!! :lol:

never had that problem with the delly...usually they ask "meke wahale ko?" or "wassoth monawada karanne?" :lol:

"if a police officer suspects that you have a non standard exhaust etc and they you are in fact creating a disturbance he can request you to take the vehicle to the examiner of motor vehicles (@ the RMV :unsure: ) or something to that effect and either prove that the item is in line with manufacturer specifications/stock or else make changes until it has been adjusted to a satisfactory level" - this is the gist of what I was told by a cop the last time I got into a ruckus over this issue..

You could try telling him that you were not creating a disturbance despite the car being capable of it, and unless he has evidence of you creating a disturbance to go try that on someone else. I use the "This is the standard exhaust for this car" excuse. And next time I meet one of those persistent fellows, I would seriously consider challenging him to take it to court while threatening a counter suite for wasting my time, harassment and possibly looking for a bribe. After taking down his badge number.

the fact that I’m a teetotaller!

me too...me a good boy :D personally i've been obssesed with other things with me life that i've never found a reason to or a time to drink...i've nothing against the people who do though :) .....ther's nothing like being the only sober guy in a bunch of drunkurds..nothing funnier :lol:

me too...me a good boy :D personally i've been obssesed with other things with me life that i've never found a reason to or a time to drink...i've nothing against the people who do though :) .....ther's nothing like being the only sober guy in a bunch of drunkurds..nothing funnier :lol:

You should try being in that situation with a camera :) Or even better, a video cam :D

You could try telling him that you were not creating a disturbance despite the car being capable of it, and unless he has evidence of you creating a disturbance to go try that on someone else. I use the "This is the standard exhaust for this car" excuse. And next time I meet one of those persistent fellows, I would seriously consider challenging him to take it to court while threatening a counter suite for wasting my time, harassment and possibly looking for a bribe. After taking down his badge number.

not worth the trouble Peri :(

thought the same way, but after this incident - Easter 2 years ago (returning from church so was in now way creating trouble or being even remotely playful)

as a matter of fact , the guy in front of me in a Monty was the guy who got stopped for using his phone - i sloved down outta courtesy and then they decided to cause trouble! :(

the best way to deal with the law i've learned is to be ultra courteous , never EVER argue , accept the blame and then play the clueless innocent card and beg and plead until they either get fed up of the growlling or feel sorry for you and warn you and let you off!

takes a few minutes more and you'll loos face for a few minutes at best , but saves a whole loada unecesary trouble , time and money in the long run

whats even funnier is the following day when em inebriated folk they can't remember a damned thing and your still laughing about how they embarrased them selves! :lol:

as Peri noted , its nice if you've got visuals for show & tell :lol:

whats even funnier is the following day when em inebriated folk they can't remember a damned thing and your still laughing about how they embarrased them selves! :lol:

as Peri noted , its nice if you've got visuals for show & tell :lol:

:lol: ....your right....there are some moments for which i keep kicking myself for not having a decent camera handy

but i do have a good pic of some hairy middle-aged guys playing rugger in nothing but their undies after a drinking session.... :lol::lol: