• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Future Classics

MasterDon

what about the CRX and the mitsubishi 3000gt...

the CRX possibly, but the GTO was heavy so & so which didn't really match upto its peers of the day

True its a nice set up with AWD , TwinT's & electronically controlled Aero parts etc - and yes the styling as acceptable as well , but i don't think it really caught on as a drivers car as such..

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the CRX possibly, but the GTO was heavy so & so which didn't really match upto its peers of the day

True its a nice set up with AWD , TwinT's & electronically controlled Aero parts etc - and yes the styling as acceptable as well , but i don't think it really caught on as a drivers car as such..

Are you guys forgetting the Lotus Elise / Exige. Im sure they should be classic

what about the CRX and the mitsubishi 3000gt...

Oops yes I forgot the CRX. But I'd bet only on 1 and 2 only. Mitsu 3000GT was not that great a car. Very heavy as Devinda pointed out and didn't budge the soul one bit.

But I also forgot the Daihatsu Cherade GTti. It was a cracking car wasn't it. The fastest 1 litre car at that time or something like that....

How about the Isuzu Piazza Turbo? I always like it. I see one with a 65- number :(

Talking of the brand does anyone know if any Isuzu 117 coupes made it to SL? I'd love to get my hands on one. Like the Piazza it was styled by Giugiaro and the late versions had a 1.8 twin cam that produced 140bhp!! That's modern specific output!!!

but GTAm...mass produced cars can be classics also ne?...they might not be rare but they could be beautiful or interesting...

True but they need to be technically advanced for their time don't you think? The Swift did not push the envelope at all. Grande Punto is better looking too and the 206 still looks good but they will not make the cut as well.

Maybe the original Smart is a better candidate....?

Fairly predictable, but rather agreeable list GTAm :lol:

i honestly didn't think anyone else would have paid much attention to the XT & SV! i just love the set up on those two - more so the latter

i can't understand how a Guigaro styled coupe with a flat 6 & AWD didn't take off? :unsure:

i believe Subaru's mkting & distribution should take some of the blame for it...

Cosmo doesn't quite make the grade in terms of the fact that it doesnt fit HelRazors parameters in terms of the YOM , but even aside that , unlike the original car, the latter ones are anything but groundbreaking no? :huh:

I wonder what happend to the XT that used to be in my home town Kotahena......must check it up. I knew the guy who imported it.

The SVX was brilliant GT. I think the styling was too futuristic and the Subaru badge really could not mix with the 3 point star, blue propellor or the leaping cat. I recall a twin test by a Brit mag that pitched it against a Jag XJS and the Sub won!!

Cosmo doesn't quite make the grade in terms of the fact that it doesnt fit HelRazors parameters in terms of the YOM , but even aside that , unlike the original car, the latter ones are anything but groundbreaking no? :huh:

I thought that the top of the range of that Cosmo had a Rotary engine. I could be wrong..... The styling is quite intriguing though very 80s :)

Hey why stick to Jap only. Here's quick French List,

1. Citroen BX GTi

2. Citroen XM

3. Peugeot 306 GTi 6

4. Pug 106 Rallye

5. Pug 406 Coupe

6. Pug 306 Cabriolet

7. All Hot Renault Clios.

8. Current Hot Meganes.

9. Avant Time

Italian :rolleyes:

1. All Abarths

2. Alfa 75

3. 164 and 166 V6s

4. Alfa GTV and Spider (916 series)

5. Lancia Delta HF Turbo (lesser bro of the Integrale)

6. Fiat Coupe

7. Fiat Barchetta

8. Fiat Uno Turbo and Lancia Y10 Turbo.

9 Alfa 145 CloverLeaf 2.0TS

10. 147 and 156 GTAs

11. 155 Q4s

German,

1. All Merc SLs?

2. CL for sure

3. E46 M3 and M3 CSL

4. Merc 300E W124 (I'm thinking the 500E already is...)

5. Z3 M-coupe

6. Z8.

7. Audi S8

8. RS models.

9. Golf 3 VR6

10 Golf 5 GTI

11. Merc CLS?

I'm leaving out all Porsches as I did with Ferrari, Masrers and Lambos for the obvious reason.....

GTAm wouldn't you say that your lists are biased? :) Golf 3 VR6? Z3 M-Coupe? Fiat Coupe? 155? Some of these cars aren't even loved today.

Take it to the ATM, within the next decade you'll see some crazy prices paid for mint condition DC2 Honda Integra Type Rs, EK9 Honda Civic Type Rs, the Mitsubishi Lancer 6.5 TME, the Subaru Impreza WRX STI Spec C Type RA-R, R32 and R34 Skylines (esp. the limited editions) and possibly even AE86s. I think the genuine low mileage Type Rs will fetch especially high prices.

Edited by KLM

within the next decade you'll see some crazy prices paid for mint condition DC2 Honda Integra Type Rs, EK9 Honda Civic Type Rs, the Mitsubishi Lancer 6.5 TME, the Subaru Impreza WRX STI Spec C Type RA-R, R32 and R34 Skylines (esp. the limited editions) and possibly even AE86s.

bang on KLM - the trend has begun no doubt..

leave mint outta the equation on this, but i know for a fact that at any given time there are at least half a dozen aquaitances & friends either looking to purchase or asking about a proper AE86 with the 4AGE !

i'd say thats the one 80's car which, for all intents & purposed who's primary role was not out n out perfromance, has gone onto become a cult classic in the shortest possible time!

Italian :rolleyes:

1. All Abarths

2. Alfa 75

3. 164 and 166 V6s

4. Alfa GTV and Spider (916 series)

5. Lancia Delta HF Turbo (lesser bro of the Integrale)

6. Fiat Coupe

7. Fiat Barchetta

8. Fiat Uno Turbo and Lancia Y10 Turbo.

9 Alfa 145 CloverLeaf 2.0TS

10. 147 and 156 GTAs

11. 155 Q4s

you'd have done yourself a favour and simply gone with ALL italian cars made in the last 2 decades! :P

I thought that the top of the range of that Cosmo had a Rotary engine. I could be wrong..... The styling is quite intriguing though very 80s :)

i think your right about the engine, but it was the older Cosmo's that were more notable gux if memory serves me right , for a short time it was Japan;s fastest production car or something like that... :unsure:

& 80's styling is not a bad thing by any means :)

True but they need to be technically advanced for their time don't you think? Maybe the original Smart is a better candidate....?

fair point that - kinda like the Citroen DS was at the time

so on that basis will the Xantia with its hydronumatic suspension be a candiadate?

the sad thing i've noticed is that every "big/new" idea or trait seems to have been introduced many decades ago

its hard to think of a "groudbreaking" or pioneering car which has some very special characteristic to it which was introdcued in the recent past

the only possible cars that would make that list might be the

Honda Insight

Prius

Clarity

& maybe even the Reva!

How about the Isuzu Piazza Turbo?

Talking of the brand does anyone know if any Isuzu 117 coupes made it to SL? I'd love to get my hands on one. Like the Piazza it was styled by Giugiaro and

the late versions had a 1.8 twin cam that produced 140bhp!! That's modern specific output!!!

same motor than came on the 2nd gen Piazza's ya?

Giorgetto Giugiaro is a great man! ....when one looks at the designs he's skethched over the years and the ones that have gone onto become well known n liked its quite impressive!

Edited by Devinda_Z

I wonder what happend to the XT that used to be in my home town Kotahena......must check it up. I knew the guy who imported it.

The SVX was brilliant GT. I think the styling was too futuristic and the Subaru badge really could not mix with the 3 point star, blue propellor or the leaping cat. I recall a twin test by a Brit mag that pitched it against a Jag XJS and the Sub won!!

WHAT??!?!?!?!? :blink:

an XT here???? :o

please do find out if its still around & running?!

i can't understand why the SVX didn't take off in Japan - no wait,it wasn't sold there was it? :unsure: