• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Future Classics

MasterDon

Some posts in a another thread(beautiful machine) by GTAm and DevZ gave me this idea....what cars do you think that will make the cut as a classic in the future and why?

All cars made after 1990 is eligible for this thread....

here are my prospects

New Suzuki Swift - I kinda think of it as a future mini

2dvn1av.jpg

Second geneation Toyota Rav4 2 door - rare,interesting

2eywg0w.jpg

2007 Honda civic sedan - Future 206 or a cambridge?

16i5lbm.jpg

Nissan Cefiro 2004 - rare,interesting....beautiful?

29by0wm.jpg

Edited by HelRazor

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some posts in a another thread(beautiful machine) by GTAm and DevZ gave me this idea....what cars do you think that will make the cut as a classic in the future and why?

here are my prospects

New Suzuki Swift - I kinda think of it as a future mini

2dvn1av.jpg

Second geneation Toyota Rav4 2 door - rare,interesting

2eywg0w.jpg

2007 Honda civic sedan - Future 206 or a cambridge?

16i5lbm.jpg

29by0wm.jpg

I doubt whether these Jappy craps would run for 50 years….

i think you are missing the point here mate...If all cars were made to run forever there will be no such thing called restoration...infact i think the jap cars will have more chance of surviving the test of time compared with it's european or american rivals...

29by0wm.jpg

Are you sure on this? Rare? Interesting? Beautiful...... passable. I'm a big fan of Nissan but the Cefiro, the new Bluebird Sylphy dont get my nod. The earlier blue bird the one without frameless doors now that was a beauty and very rare as well. Also take into account the old Cefiro of that same era.

Wot about the BMW Mini

Audi TT

Nissan 370Z

Are you sure on this? Rare? Interesting? Beautiful...... passable. I'm a big fan of Nissan but the Cefiro, the new Bluebird Sylphy dont get my nod. The earlier blue bird the one without frameless doors now that was a beauty and very rare as well. Also take into account the old Cefiro of that same era.

Wot about the BMW Mini

Audi TT

Nissan 370Z

Or the RX-8 ;)

Edited by Kavvz

i think you are missing the point here mate...If all cars were made to run forever there will be no such thing called restoration...infact i think the jap cars will have more chance of surviving the test of time compared with it's european or american rivals...

Yep, most of the American brands failing due to reliability issues. Example : GM :rolleyes:

Wot about the BMW Mini

Audi TT

Nissan 370Z

lol yeah gummy...i agree it's not rare...i think the cefiro's interesting because for a normal saloon from an average brand name it looks like it comes from a much prestigeous brand...kinda like the poor man's merc CLS...nissan could have easily made it a box like sedan like the cedric or the crown...but they didn't...must be the renault influence :)

oh yeah the TT is a surfire classic

370Z? isn't it a bit too early?

Interesting topic HalRazor! :)

but i can't say the same about the pospects you've listed down machan :(

The Swift is lovely car , but i feel it'll be more like the Pug 203 - common but likeable..

The CTR might just possibly be seen as something a little like the old Renault5

,but i don't know if even these will cut the mustard as Future "classic" as such... :unsure:

The Fiat Coupe

RX7 FD , Nissan 300ZX & GTR32

Alfa 156

are but a handful of the cars that i recon are destined to become classics..

the full list is likely to be quite expansive

Interesting topic HalRazor! :)

but i can't say the same about the pospects you've listed down machan :(

The Swift is lovely car , but i feel it'll be more like the Pug 203 - common but likeable..

The CTR might just possibly be seen as something a little like the old Renault5

,but i don't know if even these will cut the mustard as Future "classic" as such... :unsure:

The Fiat Coupe

RX7 FD , Nissan 300ZX & GTR32

Alfa 156

are but a handful of the cars that i recon are destined to become classics..

the full list is likely to be quite expansive

true true machang..but one must remember that there's the Merc SL gullwing "Classic" and there's the Morris minor "Classic"...both are classics but on differant levels...i think the swift will have the cuddly small car charm to it in the future...

anyway i thought it might be a laugh to list what everyone thinks will be a classic without the complications....just for fun....might be a good laugh when we revisit this forum many many years from now.... :)

I disagree I think if anything will run 50 years it would be "Jappy Craps" leading the way.

I however don't think any of these vehicles will become classics. They do not have qualities which sets them apart from the rest which makes them in to classics.

The BMW Mini, The Fiat 500, the Mazda RX's, The Nissan GTR, The Type R (especially the original 1600 version) might be potential contenders

Edited by The Don

HellRazor I'm sorry but I can't agree with any of your list. All those cars will end up bangers. The Cefiro is a boat and will never make the cut. These are all highly mass produced cars, so the chances are very slim. Maybe the Swift GTI/Sport but again I doubt as it has not made much of an impact. The Nissan Cube has a slightly better chance IMHO. But again we probably won't live to see them getting their status.

Here's my Jap list,

1. All Skyline GTRs and the GTR.

2. All Evos

3. All WRX's and STis.

(The top three already make occassional appearences in Classic Car mags.)

4. Legacy RS.

5. The previous gen Civic Type R.

6. The original Integra Type R

7. All Z cars.

8. All RXs

9. All MR2s

10. Supras

11. All Mazda MX5s

12. The Subaru SVX and XT.

13. The 80's Mazda Cosmo.

14. Mitsu Starrion

15. Nissan 200SX

I however don't think any of these vehicles will become classics. They do not have qualities which sets them apart from the rest which makes them in to classics.

..lol.. :lol: ..don..if i posted the obvious cars that will become classics on the first post this thread woulda been very boring...instead i went out on a limb and predicted some that have the potential to become surprise classics..

i agree the cefiro and the civic sedan is very far from being a classic but i'm pretty sure the swift will become one...for one thing i think it is most good looking of the small cars i've seen and no matter how much i see one it never gets dated...and underneath it is a very good car..many car magazines in the west named it as their car of the year..not to mention that star footballer christano ronaldo appeared on it's ads...

HellRazor I'm sorry but I can't agree with any of your list. All those cars will end up bangers. The Cefiro is a boat and will never make the cut. These are all highly mass produced cars, so the chances are very slim. Maybe the Swift GTI/Sport but again I doubt as it has not made much of an impact. The Nissan Cube has a slightly better chance IMHO. But again we probably won't live to see them getting their status.

yeah i'm regrettin posting the cefiro/civic..(But i stand by the swift and the rav 2door)...i posted them because of the reason given in my last post

but GTAm...mass produced cars can be classics also ne?...they might not be rare but they could be beautiful or interesting...

Edited by HelRazor

Here's my Jap list,

1. All Skyline GTRs and the GTR.

2. All Evos

3. All WRX's and STis.

(The top three already make occassional appearences in Classic Car mags.)

4. Legacy RS.

5. The previous gen Civic Type R.

6. The original Integra Type R

7. All Z cars.

8. All RXs

9. All MR2s

10. Supras

11. All Mazda MX5s

14. Mitsu Starrion

15. Nissan 200SX

what about the CRX and the mitsubishi 3000gt...

true true machang..but one must remember that there's the Merc SL gullwing "Classic" and there's the Morris minor "Classic"...both are classics but on differant levels...i think the swift will have the cuddly small car charm to it in the future...

good point machan

i realized that most of the cars everyone would readily agree with as future classics are the more sporty or performance oriented cars

it'll be rather more interesting and possibly contravertial to note down the run of the mill everyday cars of today, as you originally did with your selection , that might make the cut in years to come

one should take note of the fact that at this very moment some of the more active enthusiast clubs are for everyday classics like the VW Beetle , Mini , Pugeuot 203 ,The 1100/1300 etc.

Fairly predictable, but rather agreeable list GTAm :lol:

i honestly didn't think anyone else would have paid much attention to the XT & SV! i just love the set up on those two - more so the latter

i can't understand how a Guigaro styled coupe with a flat 6 & AWD didn't take off? :unsure:

i believe Subaru's mkting & distribution should take some of the blame for it...

Cosmo doesn't quite make the grade in terms of the fact that it doesnt fit HelRazors parameters in terms of the YOM , but even aside that , unlike the original car, the latter ones are anything but groundbreaking no? :huh: