• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Exhaust Paint

kumudug

Question

13 answers to this question

Hello Guys

I ride a bike and my exhaust has started showing rust. Do any of you guys know about any high temp paints? Anything I should know before going for places looking for high temp paint work?

Paints used to pain alloys (ceramic based) are usually high temp and so are (at least so should) the paint used to paint brake callipers and drums

Hello Guys

I ride a bike and my exhaust has started showing rust. Do any of you guys know about any high temp paints? Anything I should know before going for places looking for high temp paint work?

heat resistant pain used for painting bike engines will be suitable. Ask for heat resistant paint (heat-black or heat-silver) from any shop selling automotive paints.

so essentially a TOA Spray can might well do the job then :) [paint on the callipers has held up well enough :lol: ]

Are you telling that you used TOA spray on your caliper and it is fine. sounds interesting. Doesn't it show any signs of peeling off or anything?

By the way will I be able to apply the engine paint thing using a normal paint brush? I really like to DIY this task

Edited by kumudug

By the way will I be able to apply the engine paint thing using a normal paint brush? I really like to DIY this task

don't do it by hand machang...that's a big no no...the engine paint must be appilied in a very consistant thin layer...if you apply it too thick the engine may have overheating issues...plus the finish won't be as good as a spraygun...just my 2 cents :)

Edited by HelRazor

don't do it by hand machang...that's a big no no...the engine paint must be appilied in a very consistant thin layer...if you apply it too thick the engine may have overheating issues...plus the finish won't be as good as a spraygun...just my 2 cents :)

I am not going to apply it to my engine. Its to my exhaust. The purpose is to stop it from rusting. Do you think it will be ok to brush paint it on the exhaust

Are you telling that you used TOA spray on your caliper and it is fine. sounds interesting. Doesn't it show any signs of peeling off or anything?

yup :)

i dunno if it'd work on the exhaust , but its what all the tire fitting joints use on callipers & drums

Had no issues - just sprayed straight on

You'll need something like anti corrosive paint for the job- I doubt heat resistant paint will paint. Corroded exhausts are hard to avoid in a petrol vehicle due to the level of water/moisture in the fumes. Maybe you can just take it to a silencer shop and get them to weld any holes that are developing.

Hello Guys

I've painted toa anti corrosive paint on my old mtx200r silencer and expansion pipe when started showing some rust and it held up fine for years... it's still there though the bike is not in use for the past few years...

of course the black toa spray i put on top of the anti corrosive painted surface didn't hold up against high temps and kept on peeling off after every few months...

i just painted it right back on :)

I am not going to apply it to my engine. Its to my exhaust. The purpose is to stop it from rusting. Do you think it will be ok to brush paint it on the exhaust

It doesn't come in spray cans as far as I know. If the area you are going to paint is small and if it is not very visible to the naked eye, you can use a paint brush.

It doesn't come in spray cans as far as I know. If the area you are going to paint is small and if it is not very visible to the naked eye, you can use a paint brush.

actually it does...not too sure we got them in SL though...

If you run a search on ebay for high temp paint, engine paint or something like that there are lotsa products that pop in that are in cans...

including the original CAT engine yellow :)

actually it does...not too sure we got them in SL though...

If you run a search on ebay for high temp paint, engine paint or something like that there are lotsa products that pop in that are in cans...

including the original CAT engine yellow :)

Ya in ebay there are sooo many high temp paints available in spray cans. But the thing is cause of the size I guess it will cost more to ship here.

Anyway I called C*C and asked them and they told me they only have it in 4L cans and the price was around 6k. So I practically changed my mind about painting the silencer. Anyway after that I went to a near by paint shop and asked about high temp paints and they had a small can for just 800/=. I bought it and now gonna try and paint a small corroded part using a brush and see the result. If the results are good I"m gonna paint the whole exhaust unit. :jumping-smiley-013:

Edited by kumudug
  • Like 1