• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

<-- Vehicle Engine Exhaust Test -->

cha

This is the true story of vehicle engine exhaust test by RMV.

This is the Udahamulla test bay, the nearest for me, hmm.. 10km away actually.

you have a petrol vehicle, that means you are really lucky;

diesel one .. here goes my story.

your journey begins here,

dsc02463tb9.jpg

not exactly here.. .. probably somewhere at the end of this Que..

assume you are 10 vehicles away , that means you have to wait 3 to 5 hours to see the entrance.

dsc02451zi1.jpg

This is the visual testing area, At this point, they check your engine oil level, condition of fan belts, or any other visual failures.

Unusual noise or just an oil leak can make your vehicle fail.

Most importantly, if you really have an engine problem, don't reveal it here. They'll use it against you. And make you sign a paper to exclude their liability.

make sure to bring all the documents, specially THE BOOK (potha)

engine number must be similar to the chassis number, if not have to upgrade the papers first..

pass'' means you can proceed to next level,

dsc02467pn6.jpg

Fail'' means your journey ends here

dsc02457fn8.jpg

Then please waste another hour or more somewhere here . You can always start a chat, talk with somebody and try to share your anger with them ,, how sucks this system is and curse the government bla bla ..

dsc02477eb9.jpg

This is the actual testing area, keep your engine running at least 20 minutes before entering here, otherwise you'll have to wait again for the appropriate temperature.

to check a vehicle, they'll probably take more than 20 minutes, so its better to start just before the vehicle in front of you starts testing.

This is the vacuum equipment, already faulty.. just after 15 days of use

dsc02459yi6.jpg

Insert the Nossel in to exhaust pipe, and advace engin to 3500 RPM,... pretty dedly for faulty vehicles

dsc02455bz4.jpg

Advance to 3500 and release.. keep idle for 10 seconds and 3500 RPM again

keep doing this 6 time for a diesel vehicle. and 2 times for petrol.

dsc02460cd0.jpg

This is to measure the condition of exhaust, and harmful gasses like Carbon Monoxide.

To Pass you need to get a average less than 9 points,.

otherwise you are in deep s**t , that means costly injector pump cleaning.

dsc02470gj2.jpg

dsc02471lu7.jpg

you are sooo unlucky .. you might end up like this.. engine cease during the testing..

Everything goes well, you can leave with your 759 Rupees worth certificate.

or curse everyone and park your vehicle for another couple of reports

Lucky i got Pass with my 17 year old Nissan sunny, Damn sure i pass because of their faulty equipment. hik hik

GOOD LUCK to you guys..

THE END

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh no :o ...i have strada....poorly maintained

is the test stressful to a poorly maintained engine?

Advancing an engine to 3500 RMP to 4000 RPM

might be deadly for faulty engines,

we should ask this from a pro, i suppose..

Hi,

I test vehicles everyday in the UK, Diesels are a little difficult as we need to ask the driver about the maintainance history of the engine, if the cam belt is due we refuse to test-not fail-just refuse to test as the test involves running the engine up to it,s governed limit up to six times-refuse to test if the stops on a pump look like they have been tampered with- or low on oil or sounds like a bag of nails, just as easy to wreck the same engine on your daily drive when used normally if not properly looked after!

The petrols are revved upto around 3000 RPM and held there for 30 seconds at least, again if your engine cant do this it's not capable of powering your car on the road,even if you think revving it to this amount is bad and change gears every yard to keep the revs down! (some still do this-I was in SL in August)

The whole MOT test in the UK takes arond 45 minutes-the emmisions take around 5 minutes of this time.

What on earth do we need to spend 20 minutes for?

Lower emmisions means lower cost to the owner generally, it saves your car and money in your pocket as well as health benifits to all and lower outlay of precious foreign currency for the country.

Why are we trying to lie to the test station about the condition of your engine only to blame them afterwards for a wrecked engine? I am sure they will refuse liability.

Just look after your car properly, stop wasting money on frivolous things for your car and treat it's engine with a healthy amount of care and you will have nothing to worry about.

Maithri

Hi,

I test vehicles everyday in the UK, Diesels are a little difficult as we need to ask the driver about the maintainance history of the engine, if the cam belt is due we refuse to test-not fail-just refuse to test as the test involves running the engine up to it,s governed limit up to six times-refuse to test if the stops on a pump look like they have been tampered with- or low on oil or sounds like a bag of nails, just as easy to wreck the same engine on your daily drive when used normally if not properly looked after!

The petrols are revved upto around 3000 RPM and held there for 30 seconds at least, again if your engine cant do this it's not capable of powering your car on the road,even if you think revving it to this amount is bad and change gears every yard to keep the revs down! (some still do this-I was in SL in August)

The whole MOT test in the UK takes arond 45 minutes-the emmisions take around 5 minutes of this time.

Lower emmisions means lower cost to the owner generally, it saves your car and money in your pocket as well as health benifits to all and lower outlay of precious foreign currency for the country.

Why are we trying to lie to the test station about the condition of your engine only to blame them afterwards for a wrecked engine? I am sure they will refuse liability.

Just look after your car properly, stop wasting money on frivolous things for your car and treat it's engine with a healthy amount of care and you will have nothing to worry about.

Maithri

this is what i was waiting for, kind of a pro reply.

only this way we can compare these tests whit reality.

Thank you for the great reply :)

They take 20 minutes because of various error messages while monitoring,

such as " Prob not inserted ' while it inserted properly

some times temperature gets low, and no way to manually override the machine, but to wait..

worst case is the guys working there don't know half of the things they are saying..

What i was saying about 'don't reveal you engine problems there' is based on my experience.

I got this alternator with welded coil, what i want to say to them is ' be little careful when doing this '

what they did is to make me sign for exclusion clause papers. This is not what i expected..

Any hints and tips for the preparation of smoke test ?

we appreciate your help :)

cheers .'

Well good info this, but worries me cos my old Lancer is due for Licensing next week (if I dont sell it before that).

Problem is not in the engine but in the exhaust system where its kinda cracked up somewhere below the driver seat. Will this make an issue? If yes then I'll have to do some patching up.

Well on running the vehicle's engine to 3500rpm, do you think its ok with diesel vehicles cos most of them do not revv to that sorta speed do they? Petrol engines wont have that prob and cars like Honda's equipped with the Vtec systems revv to more than 8000rpm right?

Well good info this, but worries me cos my old Lancer is due for Licensing next week (if I dont sell it before that).

Problem is not in the engine but in the exhaust system where its kinda cracked up somewhere below the driver seat. Will this make an issue? If yes then I'll have to do some patching up.

Well on running the vehicle's engine to 3500rpm, do you think its ok with diesel vehicles cos most of them do not revv to that sorta speed do they? Petrol engines wont have that prob and cars like Honda's equipped with the Vtec systems revv to more than 8000rpm right?

Yes ,You will have to repair the Exaust system before the test because it hampers the readings when the crack sucks outside air.For petrol engines they revolve around 2500 rpm. Even 3500 rpm is not a problem for diesel engines since it is the level when a vehicle is running at around 120 Km/h. Most of the passenger vehicles run at around 2000 to 3000 rpm as (maximum /average ),they have chosen these values as average to corresponding speeds and also idle (when in traffic)

for effective emission test results. Also there are technical reasons for a safe region 1000 to 2000 rpm which contributes

less emissions in most of the vehicles. In otherwords if high rpm and idel levels are ok ,most common drive level of 1000 to 2000 rpm would be ok.

isnt there any shorter and easy way of doing things ( Sri Lanka Style Emission Testing = Santhosam $$$ )

i am sure the supervisor and the boys working on these emissions tests will be so rich in few years that it will be the most sought after JOB in Sri Lanka

:rolleyes:

Hi,

Maithri

by the way maithri, no offense

but in Sri Lanka people use so crappy vehicles because not that they like to do so, but cost of a new vehicles so f***king expensive that they cannot afford it and sadly they have to live with it.

and this government screws the least privileged in great style.

i think what the government should do is to have emission tests if they are so concerned about the environment and i would also suggest a novel idea of reducing taxes on brand new vehicles so that its cheaper than reconditioned vehicles so that the environment is saved.

seriously i don diss this government because its giving a good fight in the north,

but policies like these are so crappy and cannot be justified

:unsure:

What about older vehicles (and even some newer ones) that dont have a Tacho meter? how would they judge the RPM?

They fix a gadget near the engine to ascertain the RPM and can read numerically from the equipment monitor they use.

No need of vehicle's RPM meter !

This is the true story of vehicle engine exhaust test by RMV.

This is the Udahamulla test bay, the nearest for me, hmm.. 10km away actually.

you have a petrol vehicle, that means you are really lucky;

diesel one .. here goes my story.

GOOD LUCK to you guys..

THE END

Thank U very much for sharing your experience and shedding some light in to this bloody madness (Not that I’m against the green concept but this is Banana Republic)

On my way home today just asked them how long it took and their response was 5 min –

Are the other guys any good ?????

Thank U very much for sharing your experience and shedding some light in to this bloody madness (Not that I’m against the green concept but this is Banana Republic)

On my way home today just asked them how long it took and their response was 5 min –

Are the other guys any good ?????

yea mach.. that's what they told me too..

it can be true for Petrol vehicles, whole process take less than hour,

Diesel'' phew.. whole different story..

cheers..:)

any one no of a cleanco station close by to wellawatte or nugegoda??? im runnin a 88 nissan pickup and my license is due to be renewed soon.....so im keen on gettin this done with wit enough time incase i hit trouble