• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Abandoned Or Not Used Classics

rman2000

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

u know him ?

what i heard was he gets angry and scolds if u ask about those cars !!! his home is just in front of this junk yard. cant remember the name which was written there but was a POSH name ^_^

I Bump into him occassionally and he's extremely polite and nice towards me....... He works for a major new car brand now! Scolds? He really can't afford to.

Only a Singaporean guy did him justice for ruining his Moriss Minor convertible. Punch him and gave him a few Karate chops in front of all this guys work force!! :angry-smiley-048: !!!

such a shame!

unfortunately for the Triumph its current fate/state is not much further from this :(

GTAm so that makes for a 3rd Guilia is it?? :o LHD as well??

Yes saw the Triumph. It's with another wrecker.....

4th Giulia coupe we know of. There's minter step front Junior in Ruwanwella. Real beauty. Only mine's LHD.

machang what is the scam he pulled on you and others?

Hope HellRazor's post gives you all the info. This guy was sucha smooth talker and had a certification from the British Motor Heritage intsitute....not sure if he forged this, but he did have a framed cert. At that time I wasn't a member of the CCCC nor did I know anyone who could advice me or was willing to.

To cut a long story short, we drove the T2000 to Homagama and had to tow it back after 3 years. There was rust that did not exists before he painted it when we brought it back. We put it for a paint and suspension repair. The suspension felt the same and the paint looked paper thin!

Wood clappings on the doors were gone, all the badges were missing. We were down 150k. 150k was big in 1999!

i can't understand why no proper legal action is not being taken against this dispicable individual!

yep puzzles me too...but i think it's because the people concerned can't be bothered to go through with the legal process...they would rather get their car back as it is and try to restore it otherwise....

does anyone else offer a similar service minus scamming the owner? if not sounds like a very interesting business plan or am i (who no jack about classic or vintage cars) just been silly

There are some who do a decent job but not a professional one by any standards.the trouble is they almost always go over the intially quoted budget,take more time to complete than they promised earlier and worst of all selling the cars components as spare parts to others because when someone comes in to their garage asking for some parts the temptation to make a quick buck is too much for them,and they will replace those parts with lesser quality/faulty parts or report them as stolen.there are one maybe two who are the exception.but the price they quote is enough to make you sh*t in your pants.

so most of the owners either restore them at their residence or give it to the professionals of each category such as body work and painting to one company and the mechanical side to another so on and so forth...both of these methods are very time consuming and stressful to the owner.

so coming back to your question,it is a very good business idea to open a professional restoration garage with reasonable prices,the main thing with these guys(owners) is to build their confidence in your garage,because you are asking them to leave their babies in your care.then the news will spread by word of mouth because the classic car community here is a very close knit and an exclusive group.so anyone want to give it a go?

adey thats quite unique thing in these parts!

i recall one of these in White being put up for sale a few months back..

i take it this isn't with you any longer MiniAce?

No machan she is with the owner now ( of Mahawewa-Marawila).Yeah there are three..One white..my former,and a dark blue...plus a few Mazda 323 Cabriolets.

MINIACE

i can't understand why no proper legal action is not being taken against this dispicable individual!

Yeah good question. I guess it would have broken all those owners hearts when they came and saw there cars rotting there. It must have been so devastating that they simply abandoned them.

But still I would have at least cracked his head with the nearest rusty cam shaft I could get my hands on. :angry: . Luckily my car was more or less in one piece and towable.

does anyone else offer a similar service minus scamming the owner? if not sounds like a very interesting business plan or am i (who no jack about classic or vintage cars) just been silly

Well you probably don't know jack and being very silly :lol: , but it would be great if someone did start something like this. There is a big demand for this service in SL. Why not diversify xXx? I can tell you the average classic car owner (like moi) who takes on a resto goes through hell and loses a lot of hair :D throughout the long drawn process.

But as HellRazor has pointed out, it's not a bed of roses. The main problem will be finding skilled workers who take their attendence seriously.

Speaking from (recent) experience, the only real way you can carry out a restoration without losing your shirt on it (or else, ending up with a shoddy job at a palatable cost) is to find capable workers who aren't based at a particular garage and have them do it at home. Such people do still exist, although they are an increasingly endangered species. I was lucky enough to find a great Tinker and an equally capable painter, and also to have an uncle who is into cars and provided a simply immense amount of support including the use of his residence for the resto.... Personally i'm very pleased with the results.

However, this method will involve a lot of personal effort, since you have to do most of the running around yourself, and if you have a tight schedule its VERY tough, but at the end of the day the feeling of having accomplished something is nearly as great as having a well restored car :)

Well you probably don't know jack and being very silly :lol: , but it would be great if someone did start something like this. There is a big demand for this service in SL. Why not diversify xXx? I can tell you the average classic car owner (like moi) who takes on a resto goes through hell and loses a lot of hair :D throughout the long drawn process.

But as HellRazor has pointed out, it's not a bed of roses. The main problem will be finding skilled workers who take their attendence seriously.

diversification has been on the card for some time now but definitely not anything related to the motor industry. don't want to make the same mistake 'our beloved chairman' did lol

diversification has been on the card for some time now but definitely not anything related to the motor industry. don't want to make the same mistake 'our beloved chairman' did lol

OT but i agree diversifying is the best way to go through these troubled times...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I have been giving lot of thoughts on this as I too got few cars idling and finally have decided

to part with following 2 cars, mainly due to reschedule, lack of space, time and difficulty of doing parallel projects.

MG ZA - EL Car in tact but needs a full restoration. Location Kandy (City )

Few remaining from the first lot of imports to SL,

Austin Cambridge - A60 7 Sri Old book with one registered owner, in fair condintion,good body.

Running car (though I have not run for about 7 months) very little tinkering (negligible)

Location - Between Pitakotte & Thalawatugoda

Both are ideal restoration projets, willing to consider partex.

IF you need further info pls do not hesitate to request.

cheers

Tikiri

Hi

I have been giving lot of thoughts on this as I too got few cars idling and finally have decided

to part with following 2 cars, mainly due to reschedule, lack of space, time and difficulty of doing parallel projects.

MG ZA - EL Car in tact but needs a full restoration. Location Kandy (City )

Few remaining from the first lot of imports to SL,

Austin Cambridge - A60 7 Sri Old book with one registered owner, in fair condintion,good body.

Running car (though I have not run for about 7 months) very little tinkering (negligible)

Location - Between Pitakotte & Thalawatugoda

Both are ideal restoration projets, willing to consider partex.

IF you need further info pls do not hesitate to request.

cheers

Tikiri

Hi Tikiri,

Further info on Kandy MG please.

Cheers!

Speaking from (recent) experience, the only real way you can carry out a restoration without losing your shirt on it (or else, ending up with a shoddy job at a palatable cost) is to find capable workers who aren't based at a particular garage and have them do it at home. Such people do still exist, although they are an increasingly endangered species. I was lucky enough to find a great Tinker and an equally capable painter, and also to have an uncle who is into cars and provided a simply immense amount of support including the use of his residence for the resto.... Personally i'm very pleased with the results.

However, this method will involve a lot of personal effort, since you have to do most of the running around yourself, and if you have a tight schedule its VERY tough, but at the end of the day the feeling of having accomplished something is nearly as great as having a well restored car :)

Hi Supra,

Hey that sounds ideal for the hopeful restoration of my Fiat 124 BC Coupe. Needs a &*^& load of tinkering :rolleyes: its Italian after all.

If you have a guy who can do it at home, then ideal, as my biggest area is the Body and engine restoration. All other parts are in "reasonable" shape and need a full of refurbishment . ( Ia m hoping , with everything crossed)

Gt Am is also running around restoring his baby(s) and we should see it soon.

On that scam artist cannot the CCC get the members affected together and take severe legal action? Just a thought as the blood boils when you see those cars , and as a lover of classics I can understand what the owners went through.

Hi

MG - ZA.

Its EL - Believed to be on the first batch of 30 cars imported to SL.

Understand that only 80 were imported from both ZA & ZB.

Still got the Old CR. Car and all parts are in tack ( except for few little bits, which are freely available.)

I drove it last4 1/2 yrs ago.

Body - quiet a bit of tinkering, but In order and with straight lines and not dismanteled.

Mechanicals - It was quiet roadworthy, with a full service and doing up of the brakes you can run.

But if its a full restoration better doing up.

Upholstery - Needs to be re done

Dash - Needs to be redone

Considering a full restoration rest would be for wiring, and cosmetics.

What else you would like to know.

thanks

Tikiri

Hi

MG - ZA.

Its EL - Believed to be on the first batch of 30 cars imported to SL.

Understand that only 80 were imported from both ZA & ZB.

Still got the Old CR. Car and all parts are in tack ( except for few little bits, which are freely available.)

I drove it last4 1/2 yrs ago.

Body - quiet a bit of tinkering, but In order and with straight lines and not dismanteled.

Mechanicals - It was quiet roadworthy, with a full service and doing up of the brakes you can run.

But if its a full restoration better doing up.

Upholstery - Needs to be re done

Dash - Needs to be redone

Considering a full restoration rest would be for wiring, and cosmetics.

What else you would like to know.

thanks

Tikiri

sounds quite interesting...

i dunno if all this might well be infringing on the 'no advertising on the forums rule' , but it might be nice to see some pictures of the car