• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Abandoned Or Not Used Classics

rman2000

haha, its going OT from already being OT.. abandoned cars to a book sale to web-browsers.....

Any of you using Chrome? i say it is REALLY user-friendly. love the flexibility of tabs and its whole independent threading feature..

it really is a while new browser.. this is a nice bit of reading if you have the time and are curious on why chrome is so special.

http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/small_02.html

Yeah about time it's hauled back to abandoned classics.... got a few interesting pics today.. will put them up in a bit...

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

see what i mean :lol::P

Nope. I merely said it was a great browser. I didn't say it was the greatest or better than the others or anything. You're jumping into conclusions based on pre-conceived notions. I don't say things about the others coz I don't use them. I do, however, object to the Civic comparison.

FF is a great browser, with a large development community that is constantly producing add ons, and I have quite a few I use frequently. I'm still on FF2 without going to FF3 coz there are some add-ons that I can't do without so I'll wait for the FF3 compatible plugins before moving.

Chrome, I never used it. Didn't Google pull it back or summin?

machang chrome's still beta stage innit?

i believe so

downloaded it the very day it was released and tried it out for a coupla days but found it almost a little too simplistic in its approach to browing - tad too spartan even for one with minimalistic tendencies...

The other thing that i was a little consufed by was the "incognito" mode or whatere - i somehow had this notion that it meant that whilst it was not in that mode , my every key stroke was being recorded... :blink:

The other thing that i was a little consufed by was the "incognito" mode or whatere - i somehow had this notion that it meant that whilst it was not in that mode , my every key stroke was being recorded... :blink:

yeah google have a history of coming very close to being privacy violators....did you hear that youtube which is owned by google gave the CIA info about what people watch on their site?

there's a new one called safari...it comes free when you download itunes..so apple must have something to do with it

safari was packaged with MacOSX when they launched OSX...

Not the best browser IMO....lil slow when compared to FF :P

and Opera :P :P :P

oh well... :)

I'm on a mac... only had safari at first and it sucked... got opera after few recommendations, then got FF...

at least on this machine...FF seems to be the fastest and has the best add one widgets that suits me the best so until opera out does FF on my machine and on my needs... FF it is :) :) But hey Opera must be pretty good on yours :P :P so what the heck :)

safari was packaged with MacOSX when they launched OSX...

Not the best browser IMO....lil slow when compared to FF :P

Apple claims Safari is the fastest web browser of them all. But then Apple would wouldn't they ?

According to their stats Opera (9) is a lot slower at rendering pages than Firefox (2).

Even if you are not much of a Firefox fan you should try out their new version, which is very light on the resources and quite a decent browser to use. I use it for the same reason as peri, plug ins.

http://www.apple.com/safari/

Edited by The Don

oh well... :)

I'm on a mac... only had safari at first and it sucked... got opera after few recommendations, then got FF...

at least on this machine...FF seems to be the fastest and has the best add one widgets that suits me the best so until opera out does FF on my machine and on my needs... FF it is :) :) But hey Opera must be pretty good on yours :P :P so what the heck :)

...lol.. just havin some fun mate...i'm sure FF is an excellant browser...and yeah...what the heck :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys .... went to that place i was talking about last weekend in homagama (galawilawatta junction). excuse me for the bad quality images as i took them with my phone. need to go there again with cam :rolleyes:

have a look ....

merc , ford montego , etc i dont know

dsc00194ph8.jpg

w1600.png

??? no idea what these are.

dsc00193sv7.jpg

w1600.png

can somebody tell me what is this?

dsc00191hq8.jpg

w1600.png

dsc00192yl9.jpg

w1600.png

theres another merc behind this peugeot

dsc00190wo7.jpg

w1600.png

there were some more like this there will try to get them all next time ....

Who do these vehicles belong to Ferrari ?

The Notorious "restorer" who talked a lot and did very little. He was a real scam artist and even I got caught to him with my Triumph 2000. Luckily I managed to take my car out before it ended up like the ones in the pics. Subsequently he was exposed by the Sunday Leader. I wonder how sad the owners of those cars must feel, especially if they see these pics.

There's the remains of an Alfa Giulia GT junior in there as well. It's a pathetic sight. The BMW 2500 in the pic is a car we nearly bought as a family car..... in the late 80's yes it would have been a crazy move. We were put of by the LHD :lol:

hey guys .... went to that place i was talking about last weekend in homagama (galawilawatta junction). excuse me for the bad quality images as i took them with my phone. need to go there again with cam :rolleyes:

have a look ....

can somebody tell me what is this?

dsc00191hq8.jpg

w1600.png

that's a Wolseley 15/50

Edited by HelRazor

The Notorious "restorer" who talked a lot and did very little. He was a real scam artist and even I got caught to him with my Triumph 2000. Luckily I managed to take my car out before it ended up like the ones in the pics. Subsequently he was exposed by the Sunday Leader. I wonder how sad the owners of those cars must feel, especially if they see these pics.

There's the remains of an Alfa Giulia GT junior in there as well. It's a pathetic sight. The BMW 2500 in the pic is a car we nearly bought as a family car..... in the late 80's yes it would have been a crazy move. We were put of by the LHD :lol:

u know him ?

what i heard was he gets angry and scolds if u ask about those cars !!! his home is just in front of this junk yard. cant remember the name which was written there but was a POSH name ^_^

such a shame!

unfortunately for the Triumph its current fate/state is not much further from this :(

GTAm so that makes for a 3rd Guilia is it?? :o LHD as well??

machang what is the scam he pulled on you and others?

machang what is the scam he pulled on you and others?

here you go xXx...copied from the sunday leader

Classic car owners taken for a ride

By Frederica Jansz

Promising to restore vintage cars, a self-proclaimed ‘restorer’ of classic cars, has instead reduced these timless beauties to an empty shell — forcing the proud owners of these cars to tow the vehicles away minus some of their vital body parts and in a sorry condition — fit only to be dumped as scrap metal.

Self-appointed Managing Director, Heritage Cars (Pvt) Ltd., Ravin de Alwis is being accused by numerous members of the Classic Car Owners’ Club of swindling finances and stealing vital parts from vintage cars they own which were given to him for restoration.

General Manager, Mahaweli Reach Hotel Kandy, Mohan Panabokke said he handed over a Mercedes Benz 190 vintage special to de Alwis for restoration. He says he paid de Alwis an advance of Rs. 100,000 to restore the vehicle and was promised the job would be complete in six months. Two years later, Panabokke said he was forced to tow the car away minus some of its vital body parts and in a decrepit condition from what it was when handed over to de Alwis.

This was after Panabokke asserts he tried over a period of 24 months, on numerous occasions to speak with de Alwis and sort out the issue. He says de Alwis promised faithfully to complete the job assuring him the project “is on track” but never honoured his commitment by word or deed.

“I not only lost Rs. 100,000 but the car as well — the vehicle, by this time was a shell of its former self,” Panabokke said, adding that when he had to tow the car away, there was no point in him taking it back to Kandy. “Someone offered me Rs. 30,000 for the vehicle and I was so disgusted by that time with the whole episode I just gave it away for that price,” Panabokke said.

Bitter experiences

Panabokke is not alone in his bitter experience. ######## Senanayake also suffered a similar fate. Senanayake had handed over a vintage 1947 model Austin Princess to de Alwis for restoration. Paying de Alwis an initial sum of Rs. 25,000 to begin work on the car, Senanayake says de Alwis promised the car would be restored to its original glamour. It was however not to be.

The car in question belonged to Senanayake’s father, former Speaker and Mayor of Kandy, E. L. Senanayake. It had been gifted to the latter by his father (######## Senanayake’s grandfather) in 1954. ######## Senanayake asserted the sentimental value alone of the car is priceless.

Having signed a contract with de Alwis to restore the vehicle on a turn-key basis, after a period of two years, Senanayake says he was forced to tow the car away minus its starter motor, two buffers, seats and door panelling among other vital parts that had been removed by de Alwis.

An ex-banker and swimming coach at the Suisse Hotel, Kandy, Ian Weragama is another victim Ravin de Alwis picked. Weragama went to de Alwis with his vintage Jaguar Mark 7 to be restored. Weragama paid an advance of Rs. 70,500 to de Alwis, but after three years was forced to remove his car in pieces from de Alwis’ garage at Homagama.

Pushpa Weragama is still furiously angry over the entire incident. She said they had initially paid de Alwis an advance of Rs. 50,000 to begin work on the car. They paid another Rs. 20,500 later for tinkering which, “Ravin said needed to be done — however, it was useless as the car was always left outside in sun and rain and was left to ruin,” Mrs. Weragama said.

After keeping the car for three years, promising over and over again to restore it to its original beauty, Mrs. Weragama said they were compelled to remove the vehicle in pieces minus its starter motor, lights, engine, wiper motor, clutch master pump, two interior lights, petrol tank and clip, outer door handles, wood fittings, cubby door and all the nuts and bolts.

“Ravin had even removed the Jaguar badge from the car,” Mrs. Weragama said, adding, “though he promised in writing to return the badge he never did so to-date.”

“People like this should be brought to the notice of the authorities and severely dealt with,” Mrs. Weragama maintained, her voice shaking with anger at having been “played out” by de Alwis.

She too claimed that de Alwis had promised to restore the car in six months from the day when it was given, but kept it instead for three years. She said the vehicle was originally handed over to him only to paint the interior and restore the upholstery for a sum of Rs. 150,000 which de Alwis had said was sufficient money to complete the project.

“He kept on smooth talking us in this manner until finally three years later we realised the man is an absolute fraud,” Mrs. Weragama said.

The Jaguar Mark 7 still lies in a pathetic condition in the garage of the Weragama’s at Kandy, unused and unrestored. “I am so disgusted and disheartened with the entire incident we cannot bring ourselves to give the vehicle to another restorer after this experience,” she said.

Lasantha Sethunge, also a banker, handed over a family heirloom — a 1948 Morris Minor together with Rs. 50,000 to de Alwis to restore the vehicle. Three years down the line the Morris Minor, according to Sethunge has been reduced to a shell of its former self minus the seats and engine. The car to date, is still lying in de Alwis’ garage at Homagama, Sethunge said, adding that de Alwis is promising fervently to complete the project.

No option

“My mother is furious with him, but we have no option but to wait until he completes the job as the car cannot be removed in the state that it is in,” Sethunge said.

Dr. Vickum Senanayake is de Alwis’s most recent victim. Dr. Senanayake on April 11, this year, handed over his 1958 model MG ZB Magnette (2 Sri 7701) for restoration. Unaware at the time that a string of other vintage car lovers had been duped by de Alwis, Dr. Senanayake on April 16, handed over a cash cheque to de Alwis for a sum of Rs. 200,000 as an advance payment for the restoration of the above car.

De Alwis had quoted a total of Rs. 320,000 for the restoration of this car which included attention on the complete body of the car, paint work including comprehensive rust proofing and bare metal re-spray, restoration of all seats, door panels, dash panel covering in wood and to fit the full interior with carpeting as well as new boot floor carpets and all mechanical work.

Three months later the car according to Dr. Senanayake had been reduced to a wreck and on July 31, he finally removed it from de Alwis’ garage at Homagama in pieces. Dr. Senanayake is still fighting to get a balance of Rs. 113,700 back from de Alwis.

On September 4, de Alwis had hand written a letter to Dr. Senanayake promising to return the monies due to him in full by September 30. However, to date Rs. 113,700 is outstanding, Dr. Senanayake said.

Furious with de Alwis, Dr. Senanayake said he is convinced that de Alwis is a confidence trickster and a fraud. “It is only now that I realise after this incident that the costing Ravin gave me to restore this car was heavily understated which only proves his lack of credibility and apparent deliberate attempts to de-fraud,” Senanayake said.

Senanayake is so demoralised and disillusioned by the entire episode — that the MG ZB Magnette is now lying in a worse condition than when he bought it unused and un-restored at his garage, he said.

He added the restoration of a classic car of vintage value is a life-long project and cannot be compared with a regular garage and mechanics. He pointed out that monthly accounts must be maintained and produced to the owner to prove how the funds are being disbursed to restore the vehicle in question.

Lured by low price

Dr. Senanayake said de Alwis plays his calling card by quoting rock bottom prices for the restoration of these vintage vehicles and lures prospective clients in this manner.

The HQI, Homagama police, Athula Weerasinghe said the police have received a petition against de Alwis alleging his misdeeds with vintage car owners. “I have heard many complaints against this man from other quarters as well,” Weerasinghe said.

Meanwhile, Proprietor, Heritage Motors (Pvt) Ltd., Michael Mutthumani is an expert in the field of restoring vintage cars. He said that restoring classic cars is a project similar to building a house “or worse” and it is of paramount importance to be able to work amicably with one’s client.

He also reiterated that it is impossible to work to a fixed budget on such vehicles and if one attempts it, “you will not be able to deliver,” he said.

“I will not accept any vehicle if a prospective client is to insist on a fixed budget,” he said, explaining that this is due to the nature of such projects.

De Alwis denies allegations

Ravin de Alwis, presently employed at Swedish Trading Company denied allegations levelled against his honesty and commitment to restoring classic cars.

“It is very unfortunate these things have happened,” he said when questioned on the above incidents, adding defensively that the allegations made by those mentioned in this article, “should be based on fact.”

When told that these persons have documentary proof of having been misled, de Alwis retorted he has not swindled anyone and the only case he takes responsibility for is that of Dr. Vickum Senanayake.

He countered the claim that he swindles other people’s money by saying, if the job is terminated midway it would not always be possible to immediately return the lump sum of monies paid in advance as the finances are staggered for material and labour.

“At no time have I charged any of these people for work not done,” he said, adding that any parts removed have all been returned even when the project was terminated halfway by the respective car owners.

He further claimed that with regard to Weragama’s vehicle, the car was sent in for a complete restoration and that an agreement was reached to split the cost into instalments convenient to them.

He justified the extensive delays in completing the work on the cars by asserting that restoration of such vehicles takes time to do. “Until a vehicle is stripped, it is not possible to estimate how much more work lies beneath its surface,” he said, adding that it is also very difficult with labour as tinkers and mechanics are unreliable and tend to take on other jobs simultaneously thus delaying such work.

The fact of the matter however, is that de Alwis nevertheless promises his clients a specific time frame in which he states he would complete the project (in most cases it is six months) as well as stipulating fixed budgets for the final completion of the restoration.

De Alwis said he has now closed down his workshop at Saman Mawatha, Galawilawatte, Homagama adding, “I had a very bad patch,” and was forced to suspend such work.

De Alwis could not explain how he intends to return the body and mechanical parts of the vehicles he took from these various persons on the pledge that he would restore their vintage cars to original perfection.

He also denied the allegation that he is never around when things start going wrong and his clients look for him. “I have always been there for them whenever they have wanted me — unless they drop in unannounced,” he said.

His clients however, say otherwise, insisting de Alwis avoids them the moment he realises there is to be a showdown or confrontation.

here you go xXx...copied from the sunday leader

oh dear that was truly a shocking story. a master con artist indeed.

does anyone else offer a similar service minus scamming the owner? if not sounds like a very interesting business plan or am i (who no jack about classic or vintage cars) just been silly