• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Obama Won!

Saturn

Obama Victory..  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think

• Yay
    • I hoped McCain would win
    • Whatever, who cares

its against the constitution. only a sinhala buddhist can be president

i don't think it's true.. Come on it's JRs Constitution.. :blink: Besides i don't think it's a Problem.. cos Guys like "One Shot" Convert their Religion from One Night right? :lol:

Edited by Ruslan

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its against the constitution. only a sinhala buddhist can be president

i searched high and low to find something to back my quote but failed miserably. hence i take it back. i'm sure i read something along those lines in grade 9 social studies

I don’t think there were any commendable development during RW was PM. People like RW and CBK can’t do any good to this county ‘cos of their colonial mentality. (Remember, how Micro car company was struggling to survive during that time. It was about to bring the plant to India).

Mate. Do you know exactly why the Micro car company is thriving now???? I can't believe that some people are still in the dark about this!!!!!! Do you know the local content percentage that goes into a Ssangyong??? Do you know who the shareholders are??

i searched high and low to find something to back my quote but failed miserably. hence i take it back. i'm sure i read something along those lines in grade 9 social studies

Ha ha I'm sure you're right! :lol:

Edited by GTAm

I guess this is going to be way too Personal and OT. Guys there's no point of discussing whether Green Party better than Blue Party or Blue party is better than Green Party. since we can clearly see they both want to come into "POWER" by hook or crook. let's just stay away from petty party politics.. at least in AL..?? :jumping-smiley-013:

gihan machang,I'm quite hurt by your comment....I'm katholic but I love this country too you know...

ditto that mate...

it's sad when people are still narrow minded enough to get race religion etc involved in these things...

there are lotsa military especially in the MI and LRRP units that are from other races than sinhala Buddhists...

tamil pilots of SLAF have died in combat...if miniace is around i'm sure he can confirm...

all races religions contribute to economy and taxes etc are not only taken from sinhala Buddhists...

so not only it's hurting to here these things it's damn right unfair to favor a race or a religion cos nobody is superior to another just because they were born into a specific race or religion...

I think the biggest problem in SL is that even at this modern age...some people still fail to see beyond races and religions...

Just my 2 cents and sorry ARC.... yes this is way off topic...

I don’t think there’s anything I can say to justify killings of innocent lives. I do agree his underground mafia was bit too extreme. But then again so was the JVP. JVP had the perfect camouflage. They could easy blend with the normal innocent masses. It was a bloody period in SL history and he was forced to take a harsh unpopular decision. In spite of that unfortunate chapter I strongly believe under his regime this country/economy developed more than when UPFA was in power since 94 till present. And that certainly deserves some sort of recognition.

mate... if you agree that JVP was needed to be crushed the way it was crushed and it's ok for the "un popular decision" that was needed to tackle the problem...

once can argue it's the same with ltte issue aint it

they too have the perfect camouflage, they easily blend in with civilians etc etc etc but will you say ok to handle the ltte problem also the way JVP was handled??? Is it ok to herd thousands upon thousands of youth who might or might not be connected to ltte and torture them and kill them and drop the bodies on to rivers and burning tyres????

during the JVP crack down people had to hide their children when people came knocking on doors, walking on the roads was deemed too dangerous...

I've lived through it mate and lucky for me i was way below the target age group....

[in spite of that unfortunate chapter I strongly believe under his regime this country/economy developed more than when UPFA was in power since 94 till present. And that certainly deserves some sort of recognition.]

Well...i sorta disagree with you on that mate. see... JRJ, Premadasa etc transferred the ltte problem to all other governments... and also each time they passed down the problem ltte was getting stronger becoming a bigger problem to the next government...

So the "perceived" benefit at those times were just due to delaying the issue and nothing else...

either we give into ltte demands and settle with that or war on until otherwise...

though i'm not in favoring the present government... i like their approach of taking a stance and following through it for better or worse...

it's better than inheriting this problem to the next generation and passing it on making it bigger and more deadlier like all these other governments were doing...

I maybe completely wrong but this is just my dumb opinion :) :)

Anyway coming back to Obama, does anyone think that something similar can happen here? A Tamil or Muslim President???

I'm not talking biased towards any religion. But there is another point here. I can ask back the question "can a non Christian or a Muslim become a president of USA" ?

If we are considering similar in SL, it has to be non-Sinhalese Buddhist. But it happened here in SL 300 year ago

Mate. Do you know exactly why the Micro car company is thriving now???? I can't believe that some people are still in the dark about this!!!!!! Do you know the local content percentage that goes into a Ssangyong??? Do you know who the shareholders are??

I have no idea of the political hand behind it. But this kind of collaboration is good at least during the initial stage. Take Maruti and Proton for example

coming back to the point in USA most of the white people didnt like obama, even today a guy that i know was taking abt his skin color and his dad, but most of the Asians live in USA voted for him, also the educaed people also voted to him, The way obama speak, behave helped his election ampain a lot,

This time the Thanksgiving day will be celebrated like never before

I'm not talking biased towards any religion. But there is another point here. I can ask back the question "can a non Christian or a Muslim become a president of USA" ?

If we are considering similar in SL, it has to be non-Sinhalese Buddhist. But it happened here in SL 300 year ago

Well a black man whose ancestors came to the US as slaves has become president. He even has Muslim links. That's a great start don't you think?

And why do you answer my question with another question? Do we need to follow the US in everything? Why can't we lead the world in being tolerant (which is a great Budhist virtue if I'm not mistaken) towards other communities and less insecure and less narrow minded?

I have no idea of the political hand behind it. But this kind of collaboration is good at least during the initial stage. Take Maruti and Proton for example

Well you should mate. Because there is minimal benefit to the country and maximum benefit to the pockets of 'the' family. (I probably run the risk of being bundled into a white van for this post :o ) They (micro cars lied to about the actual local content percentage). This quickly became evident when the permits were 'altered'. In fact IMO it is harmful to our economy. Why? Because with minimal local input anyone can buy a Diesel vehicle that consumes subsidized fuel which of course compromises the income of the CPC and so the country loses. Pls mind that the CPC makes losses desptite anything is vbecause it's massively overstaffed, extremely inefficient and run by a team of crooks.

What will be beneficial to our country is to have a very condusive environment for foreign investment so that we can have car plants that build and export cars to India. That is the only way to go, earn forex and create thousands of jobs. Our workers' skills are well known, that's why we lead the garment industry in the quality aspect. We could build cars much better that India or China IMHO.

Our market is way too small to have any automated plants with robots it just does not make economic sense. The Indian market is massive by constrast and thanks to there recent economic policies the market is one of the fastest growing in the world. Proton would not have got off the ground without an export market.

Sorry for going OT so much!

Well a black man whose ancestors came to the US as slaves has become president. He even has Muslim links. That's a great start don't you think?

:huh:

hardly, given that Barak Obama does not have much in common with the rest of the african americans who's ancestors you make reference to i'm afraid , seeing as his father was a Kenyan ecnomist who simply was recipient of a scholarship to study in the USA.

And why do you answer my question with another question? Do we need to follow the US in everything? Why can't we lead the world in being tolerant (which is a great Budhist virtue if I'm not mistaken) towards other communities and less insecure and less narrow minded?

I’m sorry. Don’t get me wrong mate. I’m not saying we should follow US. You are asking whether something similar could be happened in SL ? I’m saying it is already happened here. No need to go that far even President JRJ’s case is identical to that of Obama’s

ditto that mate...

it's sad when people are still narrow minded enough to get race religion etc involved in these things...

there are lotsa military especially in the MI and LRRP units that are from other races than sinhala Buddhists...

tamil pilots of SLAF have died in combat...if miniace is around i'm sure he can confirm...

all races religions contribute to economy and taxes etc are not only taken from sinhala Buddhists...

so not only it's hurting to here these things it's damn right unfair to favor a race or a religion cos nobody is superior to another just because they were born into a specific race or religion...

I think the biggest problem in SL is that even at this modern age...some people still fail to see beyond races and religions...

Just my 2 cents and sorry ARC.... yes this is way off topic...

well said..and it's hard to see how some sinhala buddhists can co-exist with the tamils or the muslims when they are un-willing to give equal rights to people of their same race...

my mum is buddhist and dad is katholic,and I went to a school where the students came from various religions and races...so I am a firm believer of equal oppertunity for all,if a tamil or muslim or burger want to be the president they should have that oppertunity..people could reject them at the vote if they want to...but they should atleast be given a chance...

:huh:

hardly, given that Barak Obama does not have much in common with the rest of the african americans who's ancestors you make reference to i'm afraid , seeing as his father was a Kenyan ecnomist who simply was recipient of a scholarship to study in the USA.

Oh sure he's not from the ghetto. But to most Americans he still 'looks' black and they (most of them) did not let that be an issue! And that's the overriding factor when compared with any other president thus far.

coming back to the point in USA most of the white people didnt like obama, even today a guy that i know was taking abt his skin color and his dad, but most of the Asians live in USA voted for him, also the educaed people also voted to him, The way obama speak, behave helped his election ampain a lot,

This time the Thanksgiving day will be celebrated like never before

I'm sorry mate but your argument is as water tight as a strainer, considering A) The Asians and the educated voters are indeeed American and B-) The considering that he's won, loads hudreds of thousands of broadmineded whites obviously voted for him!

Edited by GTAm

..................,and I went to a school where the students came from various religions and races...so I am a firm believer of equal oppertunity for all,if a tamil or muslim or burger want to be the president they should have that oppertunity..people could reject them at the vote if they want to...but they should atleast be given a chance...

I guess that school did something really great for you and me :rolleyes: . I sincerely hope there are more schools like this in our country!

thats the way it should be, The president should be Sinhala Buddhist person

I don't agree with you. And that was the sort of narrow mindedness that led to the uprising of the LTTE!

Even in the US people feel that the President should be a Christian and that's why there was soo much ha-hoo about people trying to say Obama is a Muslim and tear voters away from him.... But that my dear friends should not be the case - not in the US nor in SL!

Edited by madmax