• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying A Dslr In Sri Lanka

Saturn

hmm...wonder why ladies keep away from AL? are they not into the whole car forum thing or what :)

its more that CAR thing leave aside the forum me thinks... :unsure:

but honestly have you guys noticed that aside from the useless banter you see on the web & some blogs, women don't really post much on forums or the like which have anything to do with business, technology and in this particular instance, automotives? :huh:

then there is also the fact ,and yes i dare to fact, that Sri Lankan women in general seem rather uninterested by all things automotive!! :(

i can't recall coming across a single female in our sunny isle who can be called a motoring enthusiast or anything even close to it! :mellow:

rather disappointing

even when you look at the local motoring scene the same applies with just the sole prominent female racer

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but honestly have you guys noticed that aside from the useless banter you see on the web & some blogs, women don't really post much on forums or the like which have anything to do with business, technology and in this particular instance, automotives? :huh:

then there is also the fact ,and yes i dare to fact, that Sri Lankan women in general seem rather uninterested by all things automotive!! :(

i can't recall coming across a single female in our sunny isle who can be called a motoring enthusiast or anything even close to it! :mellow:

rather disappointing

even when you look at the local motoring scene the same applies with just the sole prominent female racer

Err, two female racers. And one raced in the Novices class in Tissa. A Diesel Corolla, if I remember. Tho I drive faster going to the market. Tho to be fair, I don't drive to the market on loose gravel in choking clouds of dust, sooo....

Anyhoo, according to my informal survey, MIT has a very high concentration of female drivers who prefer stick shift to auto. Unusual. Dunno about the motoring enthusiast thing tho. And its all very OT on the DSLR thread anyway.

good point...it seems women only participate eagerly in celebrity gossip blogs...most noticebly the one's run by gay guys(perezhilton,dlisted etc etc)

i heard that a certain actress who is hailed by most as the "queen of sri lankan cinema" used to race way way back..

Edited by HelRazor

thanks dilesh for the tips during my hunt for a DSLR... Prev is in on the scene... thought i'll keep you posted too...

Finally made up me mind and bought a 50D with ef-s 18-55IS and ef-s 55-250IS.. and some accessories like filters, tripod etc :)

MeanG is carrying it down for me from the US by the end of December :)

cool! good for you dude! looking forward to seeing your work!

Well Ripper I think it is the combination of the two which has limited their participation !

I mean if you look at the auto lanka membership you will note a significant percentage of people in the IT industry :) But sitting in front of a computer all day for pleasure isn't something most members of the fairer sex I know are that fond of. Then we have to combine that with the numbers who are genuinely interested in the mechanics of automobiles (not simply cars but their function as well ), and combine them with the number of them who actually has time for this sort of thing with various other distractions and well ......... its not looking good :)

oh well...i thought ladies loved being online on FB, chatting joints etc etc etc... Probably we've lost them on car stuff cos i've met only handful of ladies who knew their way around cars... :) and man aint it really cool to chat upto a chic who knows her car stuff :) :)

came across this and thought that it might be of some interest to you blokes..

Ideal Camera for Race Photography/Videography?

Casio EX-F1

ex-f1_addlarge_1.jpg

I just returned from two race weekends, and I had the chance to try the Casio EX-F1 camera to see how it works for race photography.

Before going any further, you need to understand the key feature of the EX-F1: it shoots 6MP still photos and High Definition video (1920 x 1080 at 60 fps or 1280 x 720 at 30 fps). It can also shoot stills at up to 60 frames per second. That makes it either unique or unusual in having both very good still and very good video capability. The lens is a 36- 432 mm (35mm equivalent) zoom, with image stabilization, so it has the reach to work at race tracks where fans frequently are pretty far from the cars.

How does it work? I'd say pretty darn well. The images look very nice, both in still and video form, if your usage is for amateur snapshot-level photography. That isn't my attempt at damning with faint praise -- its just that I'm not a pro and so I won't venture to say if the images are really really good looking. HD video is so much better than what I've seen from pocket cameras that there's no comparison.

Two issues that I found: 1) the camera has an electronic viewfinder and these aren't ideal for seeing what you're shooting (workable but not nearly as pleasant as an optical finder) and 2) the 36mm wide angle isn't quite wide enough for some of the static shots you need to do from close range at a track. These are not show-stoppers in my book.

A very handy device for mixed still and video (I always want both but usually bring either an SLR or a camcorder).

Source : http://www.nextautos.com/forums/electronic...aphyvideography

• 2 months later...
how about a nikon D60 with a 18-55mm kit lens with either a 50mm 1.8f prime lens or 55-200mm AF-S zoom lens?

Im actually selling one so let me know if interested. :D

Its a month and a ahalf old camera with all orignial accesories and warrany and stuff. 2 gb included with lens cleaning kit.

75k rs

[email protected]

ha ha, Ninja advert. lol ... you don't like the D60?

hey sorry abt that post. There was a mistake in that one. im selling off the nikon D60 for 58k rs. with a 18-55mm VR lens and all accesories included in the original package. cleaning kit and all software included, warrany card included tooo. The camera is two months old with 400 photos taken.

I already own a nikon D90 so no need for this camera, got this nikon D60 for the wife but shes saying she would rather have a small canon powershot. lol! Anyways im trying to sell it off and buy the 18-200mm VR lens for my D90.

Edited by comicmonster

• 7 months later...
there seems to be a lot of debate on this...

some argue that the digic4 really shines when shooting jpeg and not RAW and supposedly the noise levels are lesser when shooting jpeg since the newer chip "cleans" things up...

:) Interesting. I'm shooting quite a bit of RAW these days and I really do see what you meant here...

• 1 year later...

Coming across this old thread while searching for something else just made me nostalgic. I know most of the shooters on this thread have gone from strength to strength from their beginnings... Fun to reminisce.

Jobless??