• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying A Dslr In Sri Lanka

Saturn

Hi guys

I'm considering upgrading to a decent DSLR

does anyone know good local shops with reasonable prices (less than 300% markup ;) )

Also, has anyone tried to import one successfully? How much duty/taxes/etc did you pay?

Please help... thanks!!

Edited by Saturn

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys

does anyone know good local shops with reasonable prices (less than 300% markup ;) )

Also, has anyone tried to import one successfully? How much duty/taxes/etc did you pay?

Please help... thanks!!

Best is to get it down from abroad - you'll get the best prices in the US or Arab/Dubai followed by Singapore. The lowest prices you'll find within the country will be at Majestic City. Try Solids, Panama Enterprises and Nastars.

Cant help with places to buy but; do a lot of research on all the components before committing. I have a D80 with a 18-135mm that came as a kit. I have had the lens fail twice already and had to send it back for repairs. I got the insurance thru the vendor (circuit city) just in case, but its still a pain in the rear... 2 more failures before lemon law kicks in and I get a new one.

just wondering who the Nikon dealers are in SL and if anyone knows how their service is

Cant help with places to buy but; do a lot of research on all the components before committing. I have a D80 with a 18-135mm that came as a kit. I have had the lens fail twice already and had to send it back for repairs. I got the insurance thru the vendor (circuit city) just in case, but its still a pain in the rear... 2 more failures before lemon law kicks in and I get a new one.

just wondering who the Nikon dealers are in SL and if anyone knows how their service is

Nikon dealer in SL is PhotoTechnica at Kolpetty.

Hi guys

Please help... thanks!!

Panama Traders in MC is more reasonable to consider.

Hi guys

Please help... thanks!!

last time i checked the customs website the import taxes on digi cams were almost 100% of the CIF value...

I was eying a 50D and after checking with many friends it seems that the prices are the cheapest in the US...

Best bet is to get somebody to carry one for you from another country that gives you good prices but the you sorta loose out on the warranty since most folks don't truly given you an international warranty...

If you buy from SL you do get the warranty but prices would be quite steep :(

I was lucky enough to get a generous AL member to carry my 50D for me :) :) :)

Canon agents had the XSi at 40k over list price when it came out. Dunno how the situ is now since it dropped $300 since launch.

In SL, you are better off sticking with Canon or Nikon. I had a friend who was seriously considering a Sony Alpha, but decided not too since the support level is quite low. In addition to decent agent (who will overcharge in both cases) there is a decently large user group of Canon and Nikon users to talk shop with.

Canon man myself. Means I get to wear things like this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wijendra/2965198832/

2965198832_2546bfb7d9.jpg

Anyway, you need to define "decent".

Anyhow, unless you really need the capability, try something like the Powershot SX10, which is pretty versatile and pretty decent And currently listed at approx $350 at Amazon. The cheapest body only new DLSR will cost over $600. Unless you are looking to buy second hand or refurbished. Even then you find crazies asking rs. 200k for a 40D and a couple of unspecified lens. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, unless you really need the capability, try something like the Powershot SX10, which is pretty versatile and pretty decent And currently listed at approx $350 at Amazon. The cheapest body only new DLSR will cost over $600. Unless you are looking to buy second hand or refurbished. Even then you find crazies asking rs. 200k for a 40D and a couple of unspecified lens. :rolleyes:

In Panama (MC) D60 is Rs.77500/- with one year warranty.

Guys, thank you all for your replies!!

Looks like my best bet is to pick one up locally..

@pericles - I'd like to pick an entry level DSLR, Either a Nikon D40 or Canon's equivalent

was considering picking it up via Amazon or newegg, but sadly I don't know anyone coming this way from US right

now so I guess my best bet is picking it up via a local shop.. also I guess I'll get a local warranty (donno how good that is)

BTW who is the Canon agent in SL?

Can someone please give me the phone numbers of those two shops at MC, & canon agent (if that's OK with forum rules)

Edited by Saturn

In Panama (MC) D60 is Rs.77500/- with one year warranty.

Just got down a D60 Kit with 18-55 VR Lense, Tripod, 4GB SDLC Card, Card Reader, Lense Cleaning Brush and Leather Carry Bag from Alan Photo in Singapore. Cost 870 Singapore Dollars which converts to around 65k LKR....

Judging from the amount of Nikon Tripods and accessories available at Pan..... Traders my guess is they're breaking up the Kits and selling here. :)

Guys, thank you all for your replies!!

Looks like my best bet is to pick one up locally..

@pericles - I'd like to pick an entry level DSLR, Either a Nikon D40 or Canon's equivalent

was considering picking it up via Amazon or newegg, but sadly I don't know anyone coming this way from US right

now so I guess my best bet is picking it up via a local shop.. also I guess I'll get a local warranty (donno how good that is)

BTW who is the Canon agent in SL?

Can someone please give me the phone numbers of those two shops at MC, & canon agent (if that's OK with forum rules)

Canon Agents are Metropolitan

the D40 is 2 generations old, so for one it'll be a bit harder to find one (but in Sri lanka there's bound to be some unsold specimens on some dusty shelves somewhere)

Nikon's new entry level is the D60. and SGD870 for a kit sounds about right... but just because you get a tripod doesnt mean all places will give the same good quality tripod.. to put thinks in to perspective there are tripods for SGD40 and SGD240 both with identical physical specifications. but why is one 6 times the price of the other? the 40 one would be made of cheaper plastic and might not be as steady as a more expensive one (hence beating the purpose of buying one).. like Nira74 said if the tripod is Nikon it should be a good one though!

On amazon a 450D is approx $650 with the kit lens. Better camera and better price.

Besides even the D60 is $580 on amazon. 20k markup is quite a bit.

So Peri, WHY is the 450D the 'better' camera :P ok, specs wise it has a slighter larger sensor and Live view.. thats it :P but photo quality wise, i prefer the nikons.. :)

So Peri, WHY is the 450D the 'better' camera :P ok, specs wise it has a slighter larger sensor and Live view.. thats it :P but photo quality wise, i prefer the nikons.. :)

Nikon has been lagging behind a bit with photo quality with the CCD sensors in their previous generation SLRs. Even the D60 uses a CCD. Take a look at the side by side comparison at dpreview.com where they put the D60 against the 400D. The 400D scores better than the D60 hence the 450D is bound to score even higher against the D60.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond60/page24.asp

Edited by madmax

sorry for asking such a dumb question but just out of curiosity are you guys into photography as a hobby? i know both peri and dili are, how about the other's who have contributed in this thread? 60 - 70k for a camera is lot of money just to click away on a night out

sorry for asking such a dumb question but just out of curiosity are you guys into photography as a hobby? i know both peri and dili are, how about the other's who have contributed in this thread? 60 - 70k for a camera is lot of money just to click away on a night out

60-70k seems a lot of money to just get some pictures on a night out, but with that equipment you're sure to get a sure shot rather than a hit-or-miss with a point and shoot camera.

I myself haven't been actively engaged in hobby photography as much as Peri or Dilesh, but I read a lot on the subject and experiment a lot with my photo gear.

Edited by madmax

well it depends.. In car terms 60k to 70k is a muffler or something... so its not a big deal

in retrospect the cameras we have been discussing in this thread are pretty much budget (under $1000)

As for whether its a hobby or not, good question ;)

lastly, a good DSLR can be used for 10 years, and with the right lenses cover all your photography needs

if you consider someone who uses P/S's, they probably upgrade every 2 years.. and the typical P/S costs about $200-$300 so, actually, buying a DSLR is a cheaper option!

Edited by Saturn

60-70k seems a lot of money to just get some pictures on a night out, but with that equipment you're sure to get a sure shot rather than a hit-or-miss with a point and shoot camera.

I myself haven't been actively engaged in hobby photography as much as Peri or Dilesh, but I read a lot on the subject and experiment a lot with my photo gear.

I'm not too sure I agree (p&s=hit and miss)... A p&s, in the right hands, can achieve miracles.. personally some of my fave photos were from camera phones!

See: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

Edited by Saturn

The time and work you put in on Photoshop tell a different story :lol:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond60/page30.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos450d/page34.asp

Seems DPReview disagrees on the image quality mate :P

Also, its gotta larger LCD screen. Which is a significant up any way you cut it. Also you don't have to be confused about which lens AF works and doesn't work and all that Jazz. EF/EF-S AF all works. Compared to

• AF-S, AF-I -All functions supported

• Other Type G or D AF Nikkor - All functions supported except autofocus

• Other AF Nikkor/AI-P Nikkor - All functions supported except autofocus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II

• Type D PC Nikkor - All functions supported except some shooting modes

• Non-CPU - Can be used in mode M, but exposure meter does not function; electronic range finder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster

• IX Nikkor/AF Nikkor for F3AF - Cannot be used

Exposure meter doesn't function??? :blink:

EOS 450D advantages

* 12 megapixels (most competitors are 10MP) - only the Sony Alpha 350 is higher

* Largest viewfinder (0.87x magnification, 95% coverage)

* Largest screen (though all have the same resolution)

* 9 area AF (only matched by the Alpha 350)

* Cross type center AD sensor (When using an F2.8 lens or faster)

* 3.5 fps continuous shooting

* 14-bit RAW

* Extensive image parameters and user-definable picture styles

* Battery grip option

* 2-10 shot 'continuous self timer' mode

* Arguably the most comprehensive 'in box' software suite

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos450d/page23.asp

And in my case, I specifically waited for the Digic III to filter into this range and bought that camera rather than going for an XTi with a Digic II, who's prices really came down when this was launched, coz I really wanted that 14 bit A/D converter rather than the 12 bit one. The D60 has a 12 bit one too.

Anyhoo, I had a lotta time to make the decision, and there were a lot of reasons why Canon was right for me. Doesn't mean those reasons apply for everyone. One of my major factors was the number of Canon shooters I know, which means access to a much larger equipment pool via swap for a while. If you don't have this, then it might be cheaper initially to go with the Nikon due to lower initial startup costs. Lotsa little things ....

Max is a long time 400D owner and went for a 40D this year, after deciding that the 450D wasn't a significant enough upgrade. You might have seen his NY Auto Show pics on flickr, since Madz sadly still hasn't got around to putting it on the AL gallery. He's just being modest.

And I fully agree its a lotta money. Which is why I recommended the SX10 which comes to around Rs.35k, and comes with a handy 20X zoom.

Besides, in great conditions, even a cheap P&S stands a good chance of producing as good an image as a SLR in the hand of a person who knows what to do. But like Max says, its a lot easier to get what you want with an SLR, rather than just "a good chance". Of course, it depends on knowing what you want too :)

It is not an inexpensive hobby and neither was it a trivial decision to buy the camera. I spent more on the body+lens than I spent on my first car. I took some photography classes when I was young and always wanted an SLR and after all these years.. I finally have one.

I don't expect to make any money from my photos (unless i see brad and angelina in the the bushes) but its been worth the money for us...

Its a hobby that me and my wife enjoy.. we're both into nature/wildlife photography and we take turns using the camera. Even though, she sometimes does way better with a canon p&s (she has the eye and I know the tech :))

The point is, you don't necessarily get better pics with a DSLR but there are some pics that I couldn't have taken without the DSLR.

I'm not too sure I agree (p&s=hit and miss)... A p&s, in the right hands, can achieve miracles.. personally some of my fave photos were from camera phones!

See: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

I've seen that, and I agree, to an extent. For example, it doesn't matter if Rockwell himself is behind the phone cam, it just doesn't have the capability to take pictures, for example, of a basketball match in our gym with just that. The DSLR on the other hand, can. But in the right hands, in the right Conditions, it can.

Nikon has been lagging behind a bit with photo quality with the CCD sensors in their previous generation SLRs. Even the D60 uses a CCD. Take a look at the side by side comparison at dpreview.com where they put the D60 against the 400D. The 400D scores better than the D60 hence the 450D is bound to score even higher against the D60.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond60/page24.asp

Damn .... that 50mm f1.4 .... :o Wonder what f they used, they just say it was Av...

I don't expect to make any money from my photos (unless i see brad and angelina in the the bushes) but its been worth the money for us...

O/T didn't they come to SL on a holiday or something? and shop at ODEL or whatnot..

back to topic.. can anyone confirm the taxes for importing a camera via DHL?

My personal experience for cheap P&S's is they charge a small amount, say $10 -$20, like 10%

have no idea with a DSLR, will they consider it a luxury device and charge me extra??