• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Synthetic Vs Mineral Engin Oil

Fdo

Question

I use a Corolla 121 1500cc Manual car.

The previous owner has been using Mobil XHP but when I went to Toyota Lanka for the service, they put Toyota mineral oil. The earlier Mobil oil was just drained but the leftovers were not sucked out using any machine.

I experience about 10km per liter now for colombo running. But the previous owner claimed to have done 13km per liter in Colombo.

Could the drop in fuel economy be due to change of engine oil type.

In your opinion, what is the best type of oil for colombo high trafic running?

I used Valvoline Fully Synthetic from Motor kade for the last 2 years. Had no issues with my P11. Last service, Mk was out of Valvoline so on a whim switched to Castrol PowerEdge at Pit Sotp . Noticed a few differences from get go. Engine is running a bit smoother and quieter. And not that much of a big hit to the wallet as one would imagine. Rs.800 more than the Valvoline. But seem to be a superior blend. Definitely would stick to Castrol from now on.

Mobil 1 is prohibitive expensive in my opinion, though to many it is the best money can buy.

hey, can you let me knw the price of this? pls..

hey, can you let me knw the price of this? pls..

Machang, 6 months ago I bought SuperSync( Valvoline) for Rs. 5700 from MK. Not sure how much it is now, the CAltex EdgeSport is Rs. 6500.

Went there last Sunday and saw a new stock. But heard that there is a Valvoline showroom somewhere in Union PLace...

i think mobil 1 is the best. i got the same 1nz engine in my car as the corolla. they say u can drive 18000kms betwee services. i havent serviced my car for nearly 2 years. n i've done 16k the car performs really well and now that im driving even more carefully i get 11km/l and 15km/l when cruising. i think its quite impressive considering my car has a claimed fuel economy thats worse than a corolla. and if u r put off by the high price of mobil 1 im sure u'll be able to make it up on fuel bills and not having to service ur car so often

i think mobil 1 is the best. i got the same 1nz engine in my car as the corolla. they say u can drive 18000kms betwee services. i havent serviced my car for nearly 2 years. n i've done 16k the car performs really well and now that im driving even more carefully i get 11km/l and 15km/l when cruising. i think its quite impressive considering my car has a claimed fuel economy thats worse than a corolla. and if u r put off by the high price of mobil 1 im sure u'll be able to make it up on fuel bills and not having to service ur car so often

Not servicing your car for 2 years is asking for trouble, mate!

actually you are not the first one who said this. the last time someone said that i dismissed it saying i rarely take my car out and therefore it hasnt quite got through the cycle yet. so can you please explain your reasoning?

The oil people says that the oil will have to be changed either after the specified milage or every 6 months. This probably could be a marketing thing. Anyways 2 years without service is tooooo much.

According to an article I read a few months back the reason why many people here and in other countries started having sludge problems is they start using synthetic and not change it until like 10k 15k kilometers. So after that when engine sludge appears they blame the synthetics.

Actually IMO I think it would be best to change every 5k 6k.

Mobil Super XHP Plus IS a mineral oil. Its not synthetic or semi-synthetic. Its the equivalent of Havoline Formula.

Toyota Motor oil is rebranded Eneos oil

The previous owner would have told that the car does 13/ liter as he wanted to sell the car!! I am amazed that you believed him!!!

IMHO most mineral oil brands available in Sri Lanka are the same quality. Mobil has a better reputation than Havoline due to better marketing.

The oil people says that the oil will have to be changed either after the specified milage or every 6 months. This probably could be a marketing thing. Anyways 2 years without service is tooooo much.

According to an article I read a few months back the reason why many people here and in other countries started having sludge problems is they start using synthetic and not change it until like 10k 15k kilometers. So after that when engine sludge appears they blame the synthetics.

Actually IMO I think it would be best to change every 5k 6k.

convincing, but isnt this why we chose synethetic oils in the first place? and then modern cars are built to have very long service intervals dont they? i know people in uk who use 11 year old peugeots with just a quick top up and they only service their engines once a year. and they are still running fine. the service interval of a brand new car is around 10k-20k nowadays. in fact they laugh at cars that cant do more than 8k between services. in sl i think we could do with an air filter change once every 5ks becos of the dusty conditions. but i dont see why we should rush our services so much cos how could any alien matter get into the engine? humidity? i dont think so. i think its rather pointless especially when the there's no noticable performance loss or a drop in fuel economy, nor a change in appearance of the actual engine oil itself. please correct me if im wrong.

convincing, but isnt this why we chose synethetic oils in the first place? and then modern cars are built to have very long service intervals dont they? i know people in uk who use 11 year old peugeots with just a quick top up and they only service their engines once a year. and they are still running fine. the service interval of a brand new car is around 10k-20k nowadays. in fact they laugh at cars that cant do more than 8k between services. in sl i think we could do with an air filter change once every 5ks becos of the dusty conditions. but i dont see why we should rush our services so much cos how could any alien matter get into the engine? humidity? i dont think so. i think its rather pointless especially when the there's no noticable performance loss or a drop in fuel economy, nor a change in appearance of the actual engine oil itself. please correct me if im wrong.

I had 2 cars while I was in UK namely Ford Mondeo 2 ltr hatch & Rover 416. Mondeo was 12 years old & Rover was 9 years old when I bought them. God knows when they had their last oil/filter change befor me & I also never changed anything for good 2 years (those who live/lived in UK are aware of the coast & that was the reason for me also). This forum is all about good, decent motoring & I'm not telling anyone to follow me but sometimes I cant help thinking we, SL motorists including self do too much unnecessary oil/filter changes. I used to travel all over the UK with these two cars without any trouble for 2 years.

In SL I do change oil & filters’ regularly using BP oils & my experience is BP better than Mobil.

I had 2 cars while I was in UK namely Ford Mondeo 2 ltr hatch & Rover 416. Mondeo was 12 years old & Rover was 9 years old when I bought them. God knows when they had their last oil/filter change befor me & I also never changed anything for good 2 years (those who live/lived in UK are aware of the coast & that was the reason for me also). This forum is all about good, decent motoring & I'm not telling anyone to follow me but sometimes I cant help thinking we, SL motorists including self do too much unnecessary oil/filter changes. I used to travel all over the UK with these two cars without any trouble for 2 years.

In SL I do change oil & filters’ regularly using BP oils & my experience is BP better than Mobil.

spot on mate! i think if anybody ever thinks they should criticise how seldom cars are serviced elsewhere in the world maybe i should ask them wuts the last time they changed their plugs, thats if they've ever changed it. but that said we do have to look after our cars a little more thoroughly in sl. i.e. changing the air filters, pollen filters more often. its for the sake of your own health. as for oil filters and fuel filters we dont usually change them more often than once every 12k rite? so im thorougly convinced that we don't have to change oil as regularly

Hey man. i know i'm typing in pretty late. but i've got a Toyota Vios 1.5e (Manual Gear) 1NZ-FE Engine and its done 91000KM's now. we got the car at 68,500 km's.These are the services we did

75,000Km -Caltex Havoline

80,000Km -Caltex Havoline

85,000Km-Toyota Motor Oil

and now at 90,000- Mobil Super S plus Synthetic (10W-40 semi synthetic)

Next service is at 95,000 Km's. Is this fine? we run a K&N air filter and i cleaned it at the last service(90,000Km) and the car really moves now. It's acceleration is superb and we run about 30 km's every day (in heavy trafffic most of the time) I'm really worried about the notorious vios sludge problems. So far its going good though. And it does 10 km/l in colombo. havent gone out station yet. Is all this fine guys? please help? Thanks. V. :unsure:

Hey man. i know i'm typing in pretty late. but i've got a Toyota Vios 1.5e (Manual Gear) 1NZ-FE Engine and its done 91000KM's now. we got the car at 68,500 km's.These are the services we did

75,000Km -Caltex Havoline

80,000Km -Caltex Havoline

85,000Km-Toyota Motor Oil

and now at 90,000- Mobil Super S plus Synthetic (10W-40 semi synthetic)

Next service is at 95,000 Km's. Is this fine? we run a K&N air filter and i cleaned it at the last service(90,000Km) and the car really moves now. It's acceleration is superb and we run about 30 km's every day (in heavy trafffic most of the time) I'm really worried about the notorious vios sludge problems. So far its going good though. And it does 10 km/l in colombo. havent gone out station yet. Is all this fine guys? please help? Thanks. V. :unsure:

the sludge problem is overexaggerated. in theory all cars with oil pressure activated variable valve timing should be prone to this. the 1nz is famous for this because its the most common vvti'd engine in the sl market right now. just treat it like a normal car and be a little more careful as not to use it on short trips. and if you regularly start the engine when the car is garaged keep it running till the engine warms up properly before switiching it off.

on a side note switch to mobil 1. the 0w range should offer you a noticeable difference.

the sludge problem is overexaggerated. in theory all cars with oil pressure activated variable valve timing should be prone to this. the 1nz is famous for this because its the most common vvti'd engine in the sl market right now. just treat it like a normal car and be a little more careful as not to use it on short trips. and if you regularly start the engine when the car is garaged keep it running till the engine warms up properly before switiching it off.

on a side note switch to mobil 1. the 0w range should offer you a noticeable difference.

Hmm ok thanks JadeyBlitzen. I know you must be quite sick of my posts. lol. but thanks man. And I know the difference the mobil 1 gives. My friend puts it in his honda civic exi 2005 model and it flies. Sigh but with the price also i'll just stick to the semi synth. its nearly 3,000 bucks cheaper. thanks again mate. :)

Hmm ok thanks JadeyBlitzen. I know you must be quite sick of my posts. lol. but thanks man. And I know the difference the mobil 1 gives. My friend puts it in his honda civic exi 2005 model and it flies. Sigh but with the price also i'll just stick to the semi synth. its nearly 3,000 bucks cheaper. thanks again mate. :)

i think you should ignore the cost issues here. cos the the extra performance and economy is well worth it. plus the extended service intervals mean you'll probably lower the cost to that of using cheaper semi synthetic.

I also have been doing some investigations about oil a few months before and here is are the things I found in a nutshell

1) Synthetic oil has the ability to hold its properties longer than mineral oil

2) There are 2 kinds of synthatics

2.1) Semi synthatic - mineral oil treated with different chemicals

2.2) Fully synthatic - Oil made from scratch

3) The amount of killometers oil can last highly depends on the way you use it.

If you do only a short distance daily in high traffic your engine oil tend to go bad far faster than others.

For example lets compare 2 vehicles

vehicle 1 - do 14km's daily up and down (7 km per cycle) - better change oil every 3k

vehicle 2 - do 60km's daily up and down (30km per cycle) - can run 5k between oil changes without much of a problem

** - This is my conclusion on my research on the net and can be wrong