• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Synthetic Vs Mineral Engin Oil

Fdo

Question

I use a Corolla 121 1500cc Manual car.

The previous owner has been using Mobil XHP but when I went to Toyota Lanka for the service, they put Toyota mineral oil. The earlier Mobil oil was just drained but the leftovers were not sucked out using any machine.

I experience about 10km per liter now for colombo running. But the previous owner claimed to have done 13km per liter in Colombo.

Could the drop in fuel economy be due to change of engine oil type.

In your opinion, what is the best type of oil for colombo high trafic running?

depending on driving style.

Agree with VW, the driving style is paramount so is the traffic conditions and the distance e.g

he may be driving in traffic to work for about 10K but u on the other hand may be driving in very heavy traffic for over 15 K then the fuel consumption differs. My opinion doing 10K in Colombo traffic is great- Oil does play a part but nothing in the conditions experienced by you… so all should be fine – best they did a total drain using a machine which is used to drain entire oil in the car- but that does cost a bit more as more oil is needed to do it. Moving down from a richer/thinner oil to a thicker oil is ok but vice versa can cause some problems – Any exerts correct me if I’ wrong Pl

most lubricant manufacturers do have different grades mate... 10w-30w is no biggie :)

http://www.mobil.com/Australia-English/Lub...l_Super_XHP.asp

and no Mobil XHP is not a semi synth but conventional mineral oil

Mobil 1 series i believe is their Synthetic series...

Ripper I think super XHP is a semi synthetic, as its a conventional mineral oil enhanced with additives.

The previous owner has been using Mobil XHP but when I went to Toyota Lanka for the service, they put Toyota mineral oil. The earlier Mobil oil was just drained but the leftovers were not sucked out using any machine.

I experience about 10km per liter now for colombo running. But the previous owner claimed to have done 13km per liter in Colombo.

FDO, I don't think the fuel consumption figure the previous owner claims is correct. 13km per litre in traffic conditions is highly unlikely. 9-10 is what should be right. Outstation you should get 12 and above depending on driving style.

i am also using Toyota mineral oil. ( i was using Mobil XHP and Changed to Toyota oil bcos my car is toyota) it is so far so good. to change engine oil no need to use machine. but change the ATF have to use a machine. Mobil XHP not a Synthetic oil.

agree with others on economy.... mostly depends on driving style and others depend on the load you're carrying, the terrain you drive, traffic condition...

Toyota will obviously try to use their oil even when other oils might be better than theirs...

To me...other major oil names have proven their stuff oil on motorsports etc and have bigger and better R&D etc etc and those have been there in the market for a long time so don't think toyota oil is better simply because it's from TOYOTA!

[in your opinion, what is the best type of oil for colombo high trafic running?]

tricky question and dont think there's an accurate answer for that...

i too run in mostly colombo and i use castrol mineral oil and change it @3000km's

but most folks run upto 5000km's without issues...

i don't think you can go wrong with most of the major brands. also unless the manufacturer specifies synthetic you really don't have to use synthetic...mineral oil is just fine.

castrol, mobil, valvoline etc are all good oil.... I'd say even ceypetco stuff is pretty good since most of our older vehicles ran for decades on those without major issues :)

i don't think you can go wrong with most of the major brands. also unless the manufacturer specifies synthetic you really don't have to use synthetic...mineral oil is just fine.

castrol, mobil, valvoline etc are all good oil.... I'd say even ceypetco stuff is pretty good since most of our older vehicles ran for decades on those without major issues :)

Bro Ripper, I observed that you haven't mentioned about the Havoline motor oil as a good oil, eventhough you have commented about all the other oil brands. So in your view, is Havolin a bad engine oil? Currently Im using Havoline Formula engine oil and my Toyota Petrol car has around 150, 000 km on its clock, so is it better to shift to a new engine oil brand at the next oil change? Because I was also thinking about shifting the brand but I didn't have any excuse to justify on. Now I feel I have something to justify, so please you guys more comment on this case. I'm willing to change to any oil brand at any time so you are open to recommend me the best oil brand for my case. :D

BTW I found this thread very important so thanks all the guys for you contribution. :alc:

I don't think Toyota will ever manufacture engine oils and other lubes on their own. Toyota Oil must be Re branded Mobil or some other brand. (Just like KYB Shocks on Toyota s) but i find something interesting which is they (Toyota Oils) got different Viscosity levels like 10W30 etc. in newer VVT-i Engines thinner oils recommended.

Edited by Ruslan

i am also using Toyota mineral oil. ( i was using Mobil XHP and Changed to Toyota oil bcos my car is toyota) it is so far so good. to change engine oil no need to use machine. but change the ATF have to use a machine. Mobil XHP not a Synthetic oil.

Changing ATF using a machine is a complete hoax. You know why,

1. Automatic transmission system has a sump that contains cream like metal particles which never can be suck up by the machine. And couple of magnets to catch up worn out metal parts. You only get a chance to clean this area manually changing ATF.

2. Automatic transmission system has a filter attached to it which is very hard to clean even by hand, you have to clean this filter using petrol or some equalent. No machine can clean this area except a careful, experienced hand.

The biggest thing that supporters of ATF machines say is, by changing manualy you cant change the oil that already in the system i.e hoses and inside the gear box.

YES... thats true, changing oil by machine can prevent this problem. but normally we dont wait until both barrels get the same coulour in the ATF changing machine. if you match both colours, It will cost you more than 15 000 thousand ruppes just for the oil. even if you match the colours by paying that extra money, still you dont get a chance to clean the areas i mentioned above. That means you still has some amount of old oil in your system after changing by the machine.

So changing ATF oil using a machine is a waste of money. I have done both ways and know exactly what are the differences. Manual changing takes time and messy. machine changing ATF is a clean but INCOMPLETE JOB. Maybe agents do it in the machine. cos its easy and clean, but it doesnt mean that its complete.

But changing engine oil using a machine is no problem but not necessary.

Changing ATF using a machine is a complete hoax. You know why,

1. Automatic transmission system has a sump that contains cream like metal particles which never can be suck up by the machine. And couple of magnets to catch up worn out metal parts. You only get a chance to clean this area manually changing ATF.

2. Automatic transmission system has a filter attached to it which is very hard to clean even by hand, you have to clean this filter using petrol or some equalent. No machine can clean this area except a careful, experienced hand.

The biggest thing that supporters of ATF machines say is, by changing manualy you cant change the oil that already in the system i.e hoses and inside the gear box.

YES... thats true, changing oil by machine can prevent this problem. but normally we dont wait until both barrels get the same coulour in the ATF changing machine. if you match both colours, It will cost you more than 15 000 thousand ruppes just for the oil. even if you match the colours by paying that extra money, still you dont get a chance to clean the areas i mentioned above. That means you still has some amount of old oil in your system after changing by the machine.

So changing ATF oil using a machine is a waste of money. I have done both ways and know exactly what are the differences. Manual changing takes time and messy. machine changing ATF is a clean but INCOMPLETE JOB. Maybe agents do it in the machine. cos its easy and clean, but it doesnt mean that its complete.

But changing engine oil using a machine is no problem but not necessary.

Well Toyota Lanka fellas do it Manually AFAIK

as far as i know, Mobil XHP plus is a Semi-Synthetic oil, pls correct me if Im wrong.

I don't think Toyota will ever manufacture engine oils and other lubes on their own. Toyota Oil must be Re branded Mobil or some other brand. (Just like KYB Shocks on Toyota s) but i find something interesting which is they (Toyota Oils) got different Viscosity levels like 10W30 etc. in newer VVT-i Engines thinner oils recommended.

most lubricant manufacturers do have different grades mate... 10w-30w is no biggie :)

Bro Ripper, I observed that you haven't mentioned about the Havoline motor oil as a good oil, eventhough you have commented about all the other oil brands. So in your view, is Havolin a bad engine oil? Currently Im using Havoline Formula engine oil and my Toyota Petrol car has around 150, 000 km on its clock, so is it better to shift to a new engine oil brand at the next oil change? Because I was also thinking about shifting the brand but I didn't have any excuse to justify on. Now I feel I have something to justify, so please you guys more comment on this case. I'm willing to change to any oil brand at any time so you are open to recommend me the best oil brand for my case. :D

BTW I found this thread very important so thanks all the guys for you contribution. :alc:

Carmaniac, there is a issue experienced by some using Havoline synthetic oils which is why people exert caution when talking about that brand. Please be aware what I heard are rumours and not substantiated facts, so please confirm them before giving them any value.

I used to use Havoline motor oil in my old car (the mineral variant) and had no issues. I even used the fully synthetic version of Havoline without any issues, so I myself have never had a problem with the brand. I've switched to using Mobil Super XHP now since I believe it is a good compromise between using a fully synthetic or mineral oil, plus my car tends to stand for long periods of time without getting used, its not a new car and under such conditions mineral and semi synthetics seem to work better than fully synthetic (plus it is easier on the pocket cos I tend to change oil without running the car much ! and I have little to gain by using fully synthetic !)

yeah they do manufacture. but not available in SL. never seen a Mobil XHP 10W-30 in SL.

The previous owner has been using Mobil XHP but when I went to Toyota Lanka for the service, they put Toyota mineral oil.

i have services carried out at Toyota and can tell you that Toyota Lanka ,up until the introduction of their range of Toyota Oil's, were using MOBIL SUPER XHP Plus (at least in my case on a passenger sedan with just over 100k on the clock)

Shell HELIX ULTRA 5W-40, its a great oil and its recommended by Ferrari too, awesome for the scooby's

Has anyone tried MOTUL ?

5L Fully Synthetic Multigrade oil was available at Motorcade for 6~7,000.

heard a rumour of an Indian connection but checked the can which said it was produced in France

Ripper I think super XHP is a semi synthetic, as its a conventional mineral oil enhanced with additives.

oops! my bad... thanks don :)

Ruslan

yep...you're right mate... on XHP they seem to be only having 20-50w in SL

http://www.mclarenslubricants.lk/automotiv...PET&MID=ENG

But other semi synth and fully synth variants seem to have full range

I used Valvoline Fully Synthetic from Motor kade for the last 2 years. Had no issues with my P11. Last service, Mk was out of Valvoline so on a whim switched to Castrol PowerEdge at Pit Sotp . Noticed a few differences from get go. Engine is running a bit smoother and quieter. And not that much of a big hit to the wallet as one would imagine. Rs.800 more than the Valvoline. But seem to be a superior blend. Definitely would stick to Castrol from now on.

Mobil 1 is prohibitive expensive in my opinion, though to many it is the best money can buy.

• Like 1

DON has replied this properly mate :)

my line of thought was the same for not including caltex although i was quite a big fan of their lubricants some years ago. Even the grease i used was caltex :lol:

I used Valvoline Fully Synthetic from Motor kade for the last 2 years. Had no issues with my P11. Last service, Mk was out of Valvoline so on a whim switched to Castrol PowerEdge at Pit Sotp . Noticed a few differences from get go. Engine is running a bit smoother and quieter. And not that much of a big hit to the wallet as one would imagine. Rs.800 more than the Valvoline. But seem to be a superior blend. Definitely would stick to Castrol from now on.

Mobil 1 is prohibitive expensive in my opinion, though to many it is the best money can buy.

was rather tempted to switch to Castrol as well - did you go with the the Castrol Edge Sport 10W-60 ??

But by the time i got to the Pitstop I'd already had the oil replaced with Mobil 1...

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdeta...ntentId=7027056

Has anyone tried MOTUL ?

5L Fully Synthetic Multigrade oil was available at Motorcade for 6~7,000.

heard a rumour of an Indian connection but checked the can which said it was produced in France

I am currently using Motul 4000 Motion which is a mineral , good in Low noise & Thermal properties however

Cleaning properties still in question as I feel. It is a product of India collaborated with Motul France. Motul

Synthetics available here are manufactured in France/Europe.

As I feel Castrol GTX has very good engine cleaning properties .

Mobil XHP is a Mineral blend with additives and Mobil S is semi synthetic (Synthetic blend).

It is worth while to mention here all of the minerals today come with additives.

Most of the manufacturers recommend mineral oils rather than synthetics for their Engines & for VVT engines

low viscocity (Max SAE 30) oils are recommended. I have heard that for Toyota 121, there are problems with

Synthetic oils.

It may be good, changing minerals at 3000-4000 km intervals rather than using synthetics for 10000km.

in terms of cost , Engine cleaning and to avoid so called problems with Synthetic oils.

I am currently using Motul 4000 Motion which is a mineral , good in Low noise & Thermal properties however

Cleaning properties still in question as I feel. It is a product of India collaborated with Motul France. Motul

Synthetics available here are manufactured in France/Europe.

As I feel Castrol GTX has very good engine cleaning properties .

Mobil XHP is a Mineral blend with additives and Mobil S is semi synthetic (Synthetic blend).

It is worth while to mention here all of the minerals today come with additives.

Most of the manufacturers recommend mineral oils rather than synthetics for their Engines & for VVT engines

low viscocity (Max SAE 30) oils are recommended. I have heard that for Toyota 121, there are problems with

Synthetic oils.

It may be good, changing minerals at 3000-4000 km intervals rather than using synthetics for 10000km.

in terms of cost , Engine cleaning and to avoid so called problems with Synthetic oils.

Yes i herd that too.. One of Service Adviser guys there at Toyota Once said that, VVT-i Engines lot depend on Engine oil type cos the VVT-i controller works on Engine oil pressure all alone.. so slight change in the Oil might affect the engines performance and the functionality too.. newest VVT-i recommend to use SAE30 type oil when engine is new.. even that guy Say NO NO to synthetics..

was rather tempted to switch to Castrol as well - did you go with the the Castrol Edge Sport 10W-60 ??

But by the time i got to the Pitstop I'd already had the oil replaced with Mobil 1...

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdeta...ntentId=7027056

yes, that's the one in the gold can... good stuff... It is called Edge.. not PowerEdge as i mentioned before. Definite improvement from Valvoline. But mind you, Valvoline is also very good.

I too am quite satisfied with Castrol- Use to put the Castrol RS form my mother car but now they have stopped it and replaced with Edge – Cost is higher too. I use Magnatec and feel that’s just as good. Even the mineral GTX (I think I go the name right ) is good as I used it in my previous mazda interplay which had over 150K

as far as i know, Mobil XHP plus is a Semi-Synthetic oil, pls correct me if Im wrong.

As far as I know Mobil Super XHP Plus is a mineral oil.

Mobil Super XHP Plus: 15w-40 (I use)

Mobil Super XHP: 20w-50